or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Use Smart EX-Jr. with Dolby PL II to create 6.1?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Use Smart EX-Jr. with Dolby PL II to create 6.1?  

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
With respect to the herein thread regarding the Fosgate Audionics Dolby ProLogic II units soon to be introduced and the information that it will probably be a 5.1 system only at this time, I note that one biggie DPL-II feature will be split (stereo) surrounds. Given this, is it possible that the nature of the DPL-II decoding matrix would allow the Smart unit to be utilized to create a center-back channel by routing the surround outputs of the DP-LII decoder into the Smart. If so, the result would be to provide 6.1 matrix decoding from stereo sources; the speakers connected to the Smart's L/R outputs could then be moved forward to become "side" speakers, with a pair of speakers in the rear to handle the Smart's center output. Would this work??
post #2 of 13
Quote:
Originally posted by jsrstereo:
With respect to the herein thread regarding the Fosgate Audionics Dolby ProLogic II units soon to be introduced and the information that it will probably be a 5.1 system only at this time, I note that one biggie DPL-II feature will be split (stereo) surrounds. Given this, is it possible that the nature of the DPL-II decoding matrix would allow the Smart unit to be utilized to create a center-back channel by routing the surround outputs of the DP-LII decoder into the Smart. If so, the result would be to provide 6.1 matrix decoding from stereo sources; the speakers connected to the Smart's L/R outputs could then be moved forward to become "side" speakers, with a pair of speakers in the rear to handle the Smart's center output. Would this work??
post #3 of 13
Quote:
Originally posted by cwood:
Sorry, I forgot to paste the text!

As an update, the FAP 300 will incorporate THX/Dolby EX and DTS ES. We're considering options now for adding additional side channel outputs for use with some modes. More to come.

Thanks for your interest.

Charles Wood
Fosgate Audionics
Rockford Corporation
post #4 of 13
What is a FAP 300, will it work on any pre amp and where do you get it?
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Malter:
What is a FAP 300, will it work on any pre amp and where do you get it?
The FAP 300 is one of several announced new AV Preamps announced for midyear introduction by Fosgate Audionics at the Winter Consumer Electronics Show.

We have a model FAP100 which will be a VERY complete Pro Logic 2 decoder, slated for one rack space high, with a full array of PL 2 adjustments (Panorama, dimension, center width, etc.) It is slated to be in the $500-600 range and is designed as a PL 2 upgrade path for existing systems that have a 5.1 loopthrough. It will also be ideal for adding center back to an existing system. Because of the higher separation of PL2 vs original recipe PL, and the inherently smoother steering, the surround sound stage can be substantially improved.

As product details become finalized, we'll post details on the Fosgate Audionics web site and announce it here when it goes on line.

Thanks.

Charles Wood
Fosgate Audionics
Rockford Corporation
post #6 of 13
Charles,

What does PL mean?

Also what is a 5.1 loop through?

I ask as I own a Parasound AVC-2500u and they sell Smart Surrounds unit as the CES 6.1. It gives the Parasound a center channel with either one or two speakers, up to two rear subwoofers and two other channels for ceiling sound(whatever that is).

Would your unit be compatable with the AVC-2500u?

Thanks.
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Malter:
Charles,

What does PL mean?

Also what is a 5.1 loop through?

I ask as I own a Parasound AVC-2500u and they sell Smart Surrounds unit as the CES 6.1. It gives the Parasound a center channel with either one or two speakers, up to two rear subwoofers and two other channels for ceiling sound(whatever that is).

Would your unit be compatable with the AVC-2500u?

Thanks.

PL means Pro Logic

The 5.1 loop through could also be described as an input accepting the output of an external decoder provding up to 5.1 channels.

There should be no compatibility problems with the Parasound products.

Charles Wood
Fosgate Audionics
post #8 of 13
Charles, will the FAP 100 have a 5.1 analog pass through? What's the expected MSRP for the FAP 300? DTS ES Discrete on the 300? Thanx.

------------------
"Resistance is FUTILE!" -- The (HOME THEATER) Borg
post #9 of 13
Charles,

Sounds great, any ETA in addition to pricing?

Tim
post #10 of 13
Charles,

I am still a little foggy about what a 5.1 loop through is. In the back of my pre I have a set of outs to an amp and a set of outs that are an analog pass through. Is a loop through what Parasound calls their analog bypass?
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally posted by JohanK:
Charles, will the FAP 100 have a 5.1 analog pass through? What's the expected MSRP for the FAP 300? DTS ES Discrete on the 300? Thanx.

The FAP 5.1 is really designed as an upgrade product so we're attempting to minimize cost burdens created by 'feature sprawl'. The MSRP for the FAP 300 will be in the $3K+ range and DTS ES is planned at this point.

Charles Wood
Fosgate Audionics
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally posted by rudolpht:
Charles,

Sounds great, any ETA in addition to pricing?

Tim
With an agressive development program, we're hoping for the second half of the year.

Charles Wood
Fosgate Audionics
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Malter:
Charles,

I am still a little foggy about what a 5.1 loop through is. In the back of my pre I have a set of outs to an amp and a set of outs that are an analog pass through. Is a loop through what Parasound calls their analog bypass?
Perhaps my use of the term loop through is a bit confusing. Actually, you could call it an External 5.1 Input or an Analog Bypass (assuming there are 5.1 (6) channels.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
This thread is locked  
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Use Smart EX-Jr. with Dolby PL II to create 6.1?