or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › HDTV Software Media Discussion › Blockbuster Blu-ray announcement: Master Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Blockbuster Blu-ray announcement: Master Thread - Page 14

post #391 of 2370
I haven't been in a Blockbuster in years and now see no reason to ever go back in again. I say this knowing full well in 2 years I will also have a Blu-ray player to go with my HD-A2. The Blockbuster stores near me are a waste of time. Good riddance to Blockbuster... Netflix has been better from day one and will continue to be.
post #392 of 2370
Quote:
You sir, are mistaken. It decodes True-HD, and outputs it via HDMI as LPCM. It just outputs LPCM. I think you meant to say "The XBOX360 does not have high quality audio".

I know the X-box does not, same reason I do not have one of those.

I was told the PS3 dumbs it down in bitrate, it is not the full 1500mbps TrueHD bitrate.

LPCM is fine so long as its the orignal bitrate and uncompressed which I believe I read in several places.
post #393 of 2370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Mullis View Post

You mean like Laserdisc? I realise there is a lot of sword waving and pistols firing in the air in this thread now by the Blu-ray faithful, but I bought into another format that was sort of......just like this. Offered better video and sound quality, expensive players, expensive media. And I heard all the same things about price coming down and so on. Years later I have 2 large boxes of laserdiscs and a player I haven't hooked up in that long sitting in my basement storage. And it's only sitting there because I haven't called Goodwill to pick them up.

The key difference is that Laserdisc was trying to replace VHS, but with no recording capability. DVD came along and had two things going for it - TIVO and DVD -/+R, so consumers had options.

Today, HD-DVD & Blu-Ray players play DVD's, so in two or three years when you're in the market for a new DVD player and the high-def format is selling for $99 and it plays all your old DVD's, the transition becomes a no-brainer.
post #394 of 2370
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSimplePanda View Post

On the other hand:
http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/06/18...lu-ray-player/

Seems there will be Chinese made Blu-ray players sooner than later as well.

Would amuse me greatly to see a "cheap chinese blu-ray player" on the market first.

Btw "TheSimplePanda" congrats 4 the DVD player
post #395 of 2370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Mullis View Post

You mean like Laserdisc? I realise there is a lot of sword waving and pistols firing in the air in this thread now by the Blu-ray faithful, but I bought into another format that was sort of......just like this. Offered better video and sound quality, expensive players, expensive media. And I heard all the same things about price coming down and so on. Years later I have 2 large boxes of laserdiscs and a player I haven't hooked up in that long sitting in my basement storage. And it's only sitting there because I haven't called Goodwill to pick them up.


Well, to make that a valid comparison, did LD drop half in price during any of its years, much less this early?
post #396 of 2370
WE here at AVS LOVE to deal in facts . . . . when we get some.

From day one, the CEA has tracked literally every single DVD player sold in the USA SID. (Info at The Digital Bits)

This is NOT the case for HDD. We only get percentages . . . wonder why?

As BB has kept up with NF and in 2006 NF did $1 billion and BB did $5.5 Billion - then $4.5 billion was done via walk ins. That is over 4 to 1 in favor of walk ins.

And again - at 1450 stores Joe Public will only see BD - 170 titles is what the official BB PR said. So right off the bat - with only 170 per store (1 of each title) that will be almost double the volume over all the HD DVD's bought SID.

And i am an HD DVD supporter. But I am also an HD supporter and I am definitely a realist.

And people seem to forget what happened 10 years ago when DVD was limping along - until BB announced it would start carrying DVD's in their stores - It exploded and players were nowheres near $200 at the time this happend.
post #397 of 2370
Quote:
Blockbuster was at the right place at the right time to make a little dough on the side Why not!!

Heh, really like to know what this little coup is costing Sony.
People try to devine how much Toshiba is losing by selling a less expensive player, but they never wonder what the back room deals cost Sony. Then of course Sony does have deeper pockets.
For me its just one more reason I don't need to use Blockbuster. I buy what I like and Netflix the rest.
post #398 of 2370
Quote:
Originally Posted by plazman View Post

Check this out...

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/07...8_id.html?.v=1

Expected to lose money:

Annual EPS Est (Dec-07) : -0.43
Quarterly EPS Est (Jun-07) : -0.27
Mean Recommendation*: 2.8
PEG Ratio (5 yr expected): N/A


Compare to Netflix:

Annual EPS Est (Dec-07) : 0.76
Quarterly EPS Est (Jun-07) : 0.23
Mean Recommendation*: 2.9
PEG Ratio (5 yr expected): 1.09


Expecting to lose money and actually losing money are one thing. That is why I said they haven't lost any money this year yet as those are just predictions.. They may end up losing money at the end of this year, however the company as a whole will survive as they plan a new business model structure with an increase in online rentals while offering Blu-Ray only rentals in 1,700 stores that are close to more affluent customers and at the same time close down stores not making any money for them (perhaps in poor areas). In other words it is basic business re-organization. You are trying to paint the picture of a company in its last chance to stay alive from going bankrupt. Hvving over 70% of the market share they are far from that position. And this re-organization of the company is long over-due considering how well Netflix has done..
post #399 of 2370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony S View Post

Heh, really like to know what this little coup is costing Sony.
People try to devine how much Toshiba is losing by selling a less expensive player, but they never wonder what the back room deals cost Sony. Then of course Sony does have deeper pockets.
For me its just one more reason I don't need to use Blockbuster. I buy what I like and Netflix the rest.

$.02 a rental - How's that? - strictly a guess - NO FACT.

As the avereage rental is far less than $7.50 then there are billions of rentals going on so $.02 x billions can add up.
post #400 of 2370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

$.02 a rental - How's that? - strictly a guess - NO FACT.

As the avereage rental is far less than $7.50 then there are billions of rentals going on so $.02 x billions can add up.


If this is the case, it is a win win situation for Sony and Blockbuster since both will help each other out and make the most out of their investment.
post #401 of 2370
WOW alot of bitterness here. I cant wait to have good access to Blu Ray rentals locally. Awesome news for Blu Ray.
post #402 of 2370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_Connelly View Post

I was told the PS3 dumbs it down in bitrate, it is not the full 1500mbps TrueHD bitrate.

Well, you were told wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony S View Post

Heh, really like to know what this little coup is costing Sony.

It's probably not costing them anything; the converse is that stocking HD DVD would have cost Blockbuster almost double the shelf-space, for a format they have found to be less than half as popular in their stores.
post #403 of 2370
Better stop now before you start arguing over who has the biggest Star Wars collection.

Its TV...its not the solution to world peace.
post #404 of 2370
I have had my Toshiba HD A2 for about 3 days. I got 3 free titles, will be getting 5 more from Toshiba. I purchased Planet Earth and The Matrix Trilogy. So far, w/the cost of the player & my 8 free movies and 2 purchases, I am out a total of about $450.00. I purch the player at Value Electronics through their deal at AVS 300 for 3 free titles, 4 yr warranty & HDMI cable). I bought the player w/the knowledge that I may have to purchase a Blu-Ray player sometime in the future, depending upon the outcome of this format war. I will be renting the rest of my HD-DVDs from Netflix. I never intended to replace my 150+ collection of DVDs w/either HD format. FWIW, I have not been in a BB store in at least 3 years. I have been renting from Netflix since I got my first DVD player in 1998. I may still buy a dual format player around Christmas - depends on the quality of the Samsung. Or I may just sit w/the Toshiba and wait. Though I have been waiting for a re-release of Blade Runner in the fall in a high-def format, and WB will release that in both formats. All in all, Sony/Toshiba and all of this crap have pissed me off to no end. Either way, my worst case scenario is that my Toshiba goes in the basement and is used as an upconverting player for my son & his friends to use.
post #405 of 2370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post

In other words it is basic business re-organization. ..

Blockbuster comes up with a business re-org every 6 months or so

Here is their quarterly statements - last Q they lost money!

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/is?s=BBI


You can also look at their cash flow statement and see that BBI is borrowing money to run their operations. Their annual revenue has also declined for the last 3 years. These are exactly opposite of Netflix!

So, IMO this is an example of poor management, making poor decisions and slowly running the company to the ground. JMHO.
post #406 of 2370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_Connelly View Post

Its TV...its not the solution to world peace.

People watching TV don't kill people. People NOT watching TV kill people.
post #407 of 2370
Quote:
Originally Posted by plazman View Post

Blockbuster comes up with a business re-org every 6 months or so

Here is their quarterly statements - last Q they lost money!

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/is?s=BBI


You can also look at their cash flow statement and see that BBI is borrowing money to run their operations. Their annual revenue has also declined for the last 3 years. These are exactly opposite of Netflix!

So, IMO this is an example of poor management, making poor decisions and slowly running the company to the ground. JMHO.

Plaz your position has become more and more untenable over the past 9 months yet you stick with the notion that HD-DVD is going to win.

Soon enough everyone here is gonna have to face facts: Blu-ray is going to be the winning format.

I've been saying that consistently here since November 2006.
post #408 of 2370
I am very suprised by this announcement, did anyone here see this coming? It never even crossed my mind.

I just hopes this means my local stores are going to carry BD movies, if they do I will probably go back having only Blockbuster instead of using both Blockbuster and Netflix.

Obviously this is good news for BD and bad news for HD DVD.

Kind of makes me wonder what else is going to happen this week.
post #409 of 2370
Maybe I'm just an anal collector, but can someone please explain to me why you wouldn't rather buy the content? If you have the money to invest in one of these techs, you're obviously an avid movie-lover. So why wouldn't you want to build your own collection?

I honestly don't get the renting thing, I like to own my toys LOL.
post #410 of 2370
Quote:
Originally Posted by krinkle View Post

Soon enough everyone here is gonna have to face facts: Blu-ray is going to be the winning format.

You may well end up being right, but to make such a statement opens you up to considerable ridicule if you are not.

Although this announcement is definitely important, there are simply way too many other factors to declare a definite winner of the HD optical war at this time.
post #411 of 2370
Quote:
Originally Posted by krinkle View Post

Plaz your position has become more and more untenable over the past 9 months yet you stick with the notion that HD-DVD is going to win.

Soon enough everyone here is gonna have to face facts: Blu-ray is going to be the winning format.

I've been saying that consistently here since November 2006.

I don't agree with your assessment on BD v. HD (my preferred format is HD), but I do agree with your assessment on plazman. It seems HD can do nothing wrong in his opinion, which is crazy considering the numerous issues people have had. It's hard for me to give anyone's opinion credence when they shoot down valid complaints from paying customers, like he does.
post #412 of 2370
Blockbuster video has made some pro-Bluray noises from time to time in this war, but apparentlyit is claimed by Phil Swann that Blockbuster be going to announce exclusive support for bluray, at the expense of HD DVD - which he claims they will announce this week.

If this turns out to be true, then a full boycott of Blockbuster is in order.

I'll be cancelling my membership the very minute they make any such announcement, and will be writing in the comments WHY I cancelled, as well as sending them email and letter statements on my feelings...

I think others may want to prepare to make a similar stand.

Netflix will likely continue to support both.

Quote:
"The consumers are sending us a message. I can't ignore what I'm seeing," Matthew Smith, Blockbuster's senior vice president of merchandising, tells AP.
He also says, apparently that about 70% of Blockbuster's HD rentals are bluray.

So, in fact, 30% of his HD customers are saying "support HD DVD", too. I guess he's a LITTLE tone deaf when it comes to 30% of his customers?!

Also, to CLAIM to know what his customers have decided is slightly arrogant, especially when such claim is made on false truths. He states there are far more releases on BD because more studios support it, yet there are almost exactly the same number of releases on both formats. A falsity based on the same old argument that there are "more BD exclusive studios".

I feel very strongly that there has likely been a desperation deal under the table by Sony, giving Blockbuster an incentive to make this announcement.

Thank God for Netflix - to heck with Blockbuster.
post #413 of 2370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traelin View Post

Maybe I'm just an anal collector, but can someone please explain to me why you wouldn't rather buy the content? If you have the money to invest in one of these techs, you're obviously an avid movie-lover. So why wouldn't you want to build your own collection?

I honestly don't get the renting thing, I like to own my toys LOL.

I like to buy quality titles and titles that my kids are going to watch repeatedly.

So far I have purchased 5.

Thanks to Netflix and BB I have watched 50+ for less than the cost of the 5 that I purchased.

As more quality releases happen I will purchased a lot more, but my day to day watching will still be dominated by rental viewing.
post #414 of 2370
awesome for blu ray but just how much business is Blockbuster getting... Netflix has them toast
post #415 of 2370
We love to use the term "format war" at these forums.

So here is my analogy as to what has happened:

Up until now the armaments being used were machine guns and 105mm howitzers. Now the BDA via BB successfully launched a missle at HD DVD and scored a direct hit. It was not a nuclear bomb - but it did a lot of damage.

Nuclear Bomb - Wal-Mart announces they will only carry BD - they did just ink a deal with Sony for sales of their LCD's. Could BD be far behind?

Oh and this story is flying around he world. It is already on CNN and many news oriented websites and I believe some newspapers already have the story.

When Sony makes a claim - everyone goes "big deal" or laughs. When Toshiba makes a claim - everyone goes "big deal" - just two warring companies "tossing" at each other - good drama

But when BB says they will only carry BD - everyone notices and all are saying the same thing - "this is a big deal."

Oh and for the 100 of you that are going to cancel your BB membership or continue to ignore BB . . . . .

"Big Deal!"
post #416 of 2370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiffylush View Post

I am very suprised by this announcement, did anyone here see this coming? It never even crossed my mind.

I just hopes this means my local stores are going to carry BD movies, if they do I will probably go back having only Blockbuster instead of using both Blockbuster and Netflix.

Obviously this is good news for BD and bad news for HD DVD.

Kind of makes me wonder what else is going to happen this week.


It was obvious this was going to happen at one point or another as it always has for every new video format. VHS was replaced by DVD's in the same manner and that happened rather quickly I might add after Blockbuster made the decision. I remember buying at that time many VHS titles for 1 dollar at the bargain bin. I probably spent over $100 buying 1 dollar movie's which I did watch all of them however they are now taking up space in the garage. My DVD collection is not going in the garage, and if I do double dip and replace some titles, I will simply give those titles away to my parents who still have a CRT at home and can't tell the difference... I also remember the BEta-Max vs VHS fight that happened at the rentals as well. In those times, many rental stores chose sides and a Blockbuster had not emerged yet since most were mom and pop rental facilities. That was a more intersting and hard fought battle since they were the "first" home video format that was affordable by everyone...
post #417 of 2370
They will continue to carry HD-DVD in blockbuster online which is what i use but will now investigate Netflix. Oh well - the blockbuster stores are nearly empty where I live anyway. My understanding is that they are losing money both in store as well as online trying to compete with Netflix - don't see how this helps them any.
post #418 of 2370
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAVEN56706 View Post

awesome for blu ray but just how much business is Blockbuster getting... Netflix has them toast

Blockbuster does about 5x the business that Netflix does, if you go through this thread you will see figures for both companies.

Basically it comes down to this:

Netflix ~1 Billion
Blockbuster ~5 Billion

Netflix has been taking market share from Blockbuster, but they have a ways to go.

FWIW I use both, and love it.
post #419 of 2370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

You may well end up being right, but to make such a statement opens you up to considerable ridicule if you are not.

Although this announcement is definitely important, there are simply way too many other factors to declare a definite winner of the HD optical war at this time.

If it turns out I am wrong, I'll take the heat from the other members.

It will actually not be that different from November 2006, when I first started posting here that Blu-ray will win. That was a VERY umpopular position to take on this forum back then. (HD-DVD had the lead.)

Blu-ray owners put up with lots of flames from HD-DVD posters back then!
post #420 of 2370
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjam View Post



---
So, in fact, 30% of his HD customers are saying "support HD DVD", too. I guess he's a LITTLE tone deaf when it comes to 30% of his customers?!

Also, to CLAIM to know what his customers have decided is slightly arrogant, especially when such claim is made on false truths. He states there are far more releases on BD because more studios support it, yet there are almost exactly the same number of releases on both formats. A falsity based on the same old argument that there are "more BD exclusive studios".

I feel very strongly that there has likely been a desperation deal under the table by Sony, giving Blockbuster an incentive to make this announcement.

Thank God for Netflix - to heck with Blockbuster.

Saving shelf space by going from two formats to one could make good business sense and might represent BB's best way to manage HD rentals. If given a choice between hacking off 30% of your HD customers or 70% of your HD customers, what would you do ?

I don't know what percentage of rentals are new release vs. catalog release. I suspect the majority of rentals are new releases where Blu-Ray seems to have an edge (because of edge in number of supporting studios). Maybe this is where Blu-Ray rentals seems to have gotten the edge over HD-DVD, at least with BB.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Software Media Discussion
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › HDTV Software Media Discussion › Blockbuster Blu-ray announcement: Master Thread