or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Starz Home Entertainment (Anchor Bay) Goes Blu
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Starz Home Entertainment (Anchor Bay) Goes Blu

post #1 of 77
Thread Starter 
http://www.homemediaretailing.com/ne...ticle_ID=10786

Interesting and exciting news. How about some Evil Dead in HD? Groovy.
post #2 of 77
Your link doesn't work.

Edit:

Found this via the digitalbits: http://www.homemediaretailing.com/ne...ticle_ID=10786
post #3 of 77
post #4 of 77
post #5 of 77
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Your link doesn't work.

Not sure what happened there. I think it should work now.
post #6 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Arnette View Post

http://www.homemediaretailing.com/ne...ticle_ID=10786

Interesting and exciting news. How about some Evil Dead in HD? Groovy.

Broken link, but just go to www.homemediaretailing.com and its the cover story. Interesting news about the Sergio Leoni films
post #7 of 77
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Interesting news about the Sergio Leoni films

Yes, and you all have me to thank since I bought them in SD they were certain to come out on BD.
post #8 of 77
lol, how many people post the same thing at the same time?
post #9 of 77
Starz is Anchor Bay folks, thats the way I understand it at least

-Gary
post #10 of 77
Thread Starter 
Well, it is interesting because Starz Home Entertaiment hasn't been Starz for very long, it is probably more commonly known as Anchor Bay Entertainment. Now, when they were Anchor Bay, they're big titles were Evil Dead and Halloween. Those two movies right there are enough to get me excited, but if you want to checkout their current offerings, head here:

http://www.anchorbayentertainment.com/

The bottom line is that more content for Blu-ray Disc is a good thing, and, at this point, it appears to be exclusive content to boot.
post #11 of 77
You better believe that 'Halloween' will come out before Halloween.
post #12 of 77
The Masters of Horror collection? PASS. They stunk. I'd be first in line for Halloween though.
post #13 of 77
Does Anchor Bay... er, Starz still have the rights to the original 1978 version of Dawn of the Dead?
post #14 of 77
More interesting was this:

MGM's Simmons said another 10 to 12 titles are set for Blu-ray release within the next year, including The Sergio Leone Anthology (A Fistful of Dollars/For a Few Dollars More/The Good, The Bad and The Ugly/Duck, You Sucker).
post #15 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by tauheel05 View Post

You better believe that 'Halloween' will come out before Halloween.

hmm...I was thinking Christmas
post #16 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by denness544 View Post

hmm...I was thinking Christmas

haha. i was just stating the obvious.
post #17 of 77
How about the big boxset of the original Dawn of the Dead (with all of the different versions) on BD? That would be sweet...

And the original Halloween... and Evil Dead...

Anchor Bay rules.
post #18 of 77
The only Starz movie I know that I have on DVD is the first Hellboy animated DTV movie (the second came out last week, but I haven't gotten it yet...)

~Alan
post #19 of 77
This is definitely great news for blu-ray... but before people start counting chickens, we should note a few things:

* This seems pretty tentative. One season of a TV show for Q4... a few other planned releases. And then a "If BD wins" statement that implies a wait-and-see-approach.

* Just because they have distribution rights to something on DVD does not automatically mean that they can release it on BD. It depends what the contracts say.

For example, Criterion wasn't able to release their laserdisc catalog on DVD, even for things that were still in print on LD at the time. They had to renegotiate titles for DVD release.

So, just because you have an Anchor Bay DVD, doesn't mean you'll be able to get that on Starz BD.
post #20 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by onyxx View Post

More interesting was this:

MGM's Simmons said another 10 to 12 titles are set for Blu-ray release within the next year, including The Sergio Leone Anthology (A Fistful of Dollars/For a Few Dollars More/The Good, The Bad and The Ugly/Duck, You Sucker).

Yup, very excited about that. Finally rented FOD AND FFDM, having owned the earlier DVD release of TGTBATU. It'll be great to see all these films in HD. Figured it was ineveitable with the new DVD set out now.

Invite your dad and/or granddad over to watch these movies!
post #21 of 77
The prospect of the Sergio Leone anthology being on BD has me creaming my pants. I held off on the DVD set in anticipation for the inevitable BD release.
post #22 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by tauheel05 View Post

You better believe that 'Halloween' will come out before Halloween.

Oh man, I loved that series. You all can laugh, but I'm looking forward to a lot of their TV stuff -- Three's Company and Hunter especially.

Anyone know who did the A-Team? Was that also a Cannell production?
post #23 of 77
Another plus for Blu Ray. But to to honest, there are less than 10 films in Anchor Bay's library that i would buy.
post #24 of 77
Yep, The A-Team is Anchor Bay along with 21 Jump Street. Woohoo!
post #25 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by bboisvert View Post

This is definitely great news for blu-ray... but before people start counting chickens, we should note a few things:

* This seems pretty tentative. One season of a TV show for Q4... a few other planned releases. And then a "If BD wins" statement that implies a wait-and-see-approach.

* Just because they have distribution rights to something on DVD does not automatically mean that they can release it on BD. It depends what the contracts say.

For example, Criterion wasn't able to release their laserdisc catalog on DVD, even for things that were still in print on LD at the time. They had to renegotiate titles for DVD release.

So, just because you have an Anchor Bay DVD, doesn't mean you'll be able to get that on Starz BD.


Thanks for being so pessimistic when it comes to anything regarding blu-ray news. Ive suffered through reading your posts about how its all minuscule for awhile now, and appreciate it This is just more FANTASTIC news for blu-ray. Target announcement should come soon and then tomorrows big BDA announcement! Damn it feels good to be smart enough to pick the right side from the start!
post #26 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBee View Post

Thanks for being so pessimistic when it comes to anything regarding blu-ray news. Ive suffered through reading your posts about how its all minuscule for awhile now, and appreciate it

You know, Jack... the Ignore feature is a wonderful thing. I suggest you use it if my posts are causing you too much suffering.

I just thought it was worthwhile to point out that Starz *licenses* their films, and therefore cannot necessarily release everything they have on DVD to BD. If that somehow causes you pain, I deeply apologize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBee View Post

This is just more FANTASTIC news for blu-ray.

Which I believe I mentioned in the very first line of my post.


Quote:
Originally Posted by dpags View Post

Yep, The A-Team is Anchor Bay

The A-Team is owned and distributed by Universal, actually.
post #27 of 77
Huge Horror movie fan...the more HD horror movies that are release the better!
post #28 of 77
post #29 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by bboisvert View Post

* Just because they have distribution rights to something on DVD does not automatically mean that they can release it on BD. It depends what the contracts say.

For example, Criterion wasn't able to release their laserdisc catalog on DVD, even for things that were still in print on LD at the time. They had to renegotiate titles for DVD release.

So, just because you have an Anchor Bay DVD, doesn't mean you'll be able to get that on Starz BD.


Man I loved those, still own them, dvd's didn't come even close to matching ld quality. However, criterion didn't own those movies but had limited ld distribution license. Anchor Bay owns its catalog.
post #30 of 77
GOOD NEWS

I was waiting for anchor bay to chose sides

I would kill for Evil Dead, Halloween and the Lucio Fulci films in glorious HD!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Software
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Starz Home Entertainment (Anchor Bay) Goes Blu