or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Definitive Technology ProCinema Series 600/800/1000 (or 60/80/100) Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Definitive Technology ProCinema Series 600/800/1000 (or 60/80/100) Thread - Page 204

post #6091 of 7193
Reading through this thread and noticed in the beginning that someone mentioned calling ABT and a possible discount. Is this still ok? Looking at a ProSub 800, ProCenter 2000, and 4 ProMonitor 1000s. Can get them locally, but if I can save on tax and a discount going online, I'm in.
post #6092 of 7193
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDKing View Post

Reading through this thread and noticed in the beginning that someone mentioned calling ABT and a possible discount. Is this still ok?

Sorry, can't speak to this...
Quote:
Looking at a ProSub 800, ProCenter 2000, and 4 ProMonitor 1000s. Can get them locally, but if I can save on tax and a discount going online, I'm in.

Great choices on the speakers, but I would get a different sub.

And if your placement would allow another PM1000 vertically instead of the PC2000, I'd do that too.
post #6093 of 7193
Hi guys, I recently moved and it's taking a while to get everything settled. I prewired for 9 speakers and 4 subwoofers. I'm going to be running either my BP8's or a pair of PM1000's L & R, my PC2000 center, BP1.2x's SL & SR.

I'm only running two of the four subs right now as I'm waiting for a product called miniDsp to arrive from overseas. I plan on using it to manage my 4 subs as Audyssey Multi-EQ my denon 1909 only manages a single sub. I plan on posting REW measurements to share any benefit I get from using single/dual/quad subs in my room which is a typical living room in so that it is not a dedicated listening space, but is open to the rest of the house.

I took this picture just being silly. Two of the subs are in the back of the room currently.

P1010788.jpg

I was super disappointed with the bass running two of the subs on either side of the stand. It was horrible: weak and muddy. Turned out putting either one 180 degrees out of phase with the other tightened up the bass notes and output increased significantly!


I had the builder leave the wire behind the drywall so I could decide on speaker use and placement after listening in the finished space. I have my BP1.2x's 7 feet above the floor in the back of the room and so far they sound really good after some limited listening. Before I add terminals to the back wall for PM1000's SBL & SBR, I will put them on a couple of ladders and listen to them to see if they make a real contribution.

P1010913.jpg

I hope some find this helpful or interesting and will report back when I get things settled.
post #6094 of 7193
I have a good 5.1 Pro Cinema 600 FS with wall brackets. PM if interested.
post #6095 of 7193
I just rec'd two ProMonitor 1000's and one was DOA. The tweeter has sound, but not the driver. Apparently, NewEgg doesn't have these anymore, or I would of just did an RMA and got a new one (claiming Discontinued, so maybe a product refresh with the new "D." logo on them are coming). Based on the price I got them for, I figured just sending it back wasn't the way to go. I called Definitive this morning and they are sending me another driver. I didn't open it up last night, in case they just wanted to swap it out, etc. So, could there just be a connection that came lose in all of the shipping, or do bad drivers in a brand new speaker really exist? Thanks
post #6096 of 7193
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadZ400 View Post

I just rec'd two ProMonitor 1000's and one was DOA. The tweeter has sound, but not the driver. Apparently, NewEgg doesn't have these anymore, or I would of just did an RMA and got a new one (claiming Discontinued, so maybe a product refresh with the new "D." logo on them are coming). Based on the price I got them for, I figured just sending it back wasn't the way to go. I called Definitive this morning and they are sending me another driver. I didn't open it up last night, in case they just wanted to swap it out, etc. So, could there just be a connection that came lose in all of the shipping, or do bad drivers in a brand new speaker really exist? Thanks
Hi Quad, we are not discontinuing the ProMonitor 1000 at all. It's a great speaker, and sells well. We don't have the ability to change every product logo all at once, so we'll incorporate those changes over time as we introduce new products. The two logos will run concurrently for some time.
Regarding a bad driver in a new speaker, yes, it can happen, and usually it involves a wire shaking loose in shipping. I hope this helps - best, Joe
Edited by joeatdefinitive - 9/13/12 at 8:42am
post #6097 of 7193
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddRiffic View Post

Hi guys, I recently moved and it's taking a while to get everything settled. I prewired for 9 speakers and 4 subwoofers. I'm going to be running either my BP8's or a pair of PM1000's L & R, my PC2000 center, BP1.2x's SL & SR.
I'm only running two of the four subs right now as I'm waiting for a product called miniDsp to arrive from overseas. I plan on using it to manage my 4 subs as Audyssey Multi-EQ my denon 1909 only manages a single sub. I plan on posting REW measurements to share any benefit I get from using single/dual/quad subs in my room which is a typical living room in so that it is not a dedicated listening space, but is open to the rest of the house.
I took this picture just being silly. Two of the subs are in the back of the room currently.
P1010788.jpg
I was super disappointed with the bass running two of the subs on either side of the stand. It was horrible: weak and muddy. Turned out putting either one 180 degrees out of phase with the other tightened up the bass notes and output increased significantly!
I had the builder leave the wire behind the drywall so I could decide on speaker use and placement after listening in the finished space. I have my BP1.2x's 7 feet above the floor in the back of the room and so far they sound really good after some limited listening. Before I add terminals to the back wall for PM1000's SBL & SBR, I will put them on a couple of ladders and listen to them to see if they make a real contribution.
P1010913.jpg
I hope some find this helpful or interesting and will report back when I get things settled.
Mighty nice Todd! I suggest you play it loud and see if you can get the neighbors to complain....
post #6098 of 7193
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeatdefinitive View Post

Mighty nice Todd! I suggest you play it loud and see if you can get the neighbors to complain....

Thanks Joe, but I really don't do much high spl listening even if I know the DT's can take it, my little PM1000's can play LOUD. My old neighbor across the street had 4 of your biggest bipolar towers running in stereo and I could hear those things like they were in my house when he cranked them up!
post #6099 of 7193
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddRiffic View Post

Thanks Joe, but I really don't do much high spl listening even if I know the DT's can take it, my little PM1000's can play LOUD. My old neighbor across the street had 4 of your biggest bipolar towers running in stereo and I could hear those things like they were in my house when he cranked them up!
Very good Todd - being a good neighbor is the right way to go. Thanks for being our customer - best, Joe
post #6100 of 7193
Hi Joe

I am sure you will be able to help me decide on finalizing HT system

Here it goes:-

Visited one shop in Singapore that stocks Definitive Speakers and evaluated the following:-

1. Definitive Pro Cinema 800

2. Definitive Pro Cinema 800 with the following combination/changes
a. Velodyne EQMAX8 sub woofer 10"
b. In ceiling speaker UIW 83/A
c. Front Centre speaker to Procentre 1000 or may be 2000

3. Floor standing system BP 8020 ST

Now, I need your help on the following:-

1. Which system would you recommend (FYI Distance from TV to Sofa is 12 ft. However, the length of the room is more.)
2. I guess Pro Cinema 800/1000 series is pretty 5yrs old. Is there a new series that I should consider
3. What AV system to consider - Denon, Panasonic or ONkyo
4. How many dealers you have in Singapore. I think the dealer I spoke with is quoting too much

Appreciate you response

Regards
Tarun
post #6101 of 7193
Hello Tarun, I'll PM you since this is a multi-question situation.
post #6102 of 7193
I have a pro cinema 600 setup. Just upgraded the center and fronts to PC1000 and PM800's. Now i want to add another subwoofer since the prosub 600 is lacking in my large living room. If I add a prosub 800, can i run both? I've heard if you are running more then 1 sub that its advisable to get matching subs. Is the Prosub 600 and 800 close enough to use both together?
post #6103 of 7193
Quote:
Originally Posted by S281 View Post

I have a pro cinema 600 setup. Just upgraded the center and fronts to PC1000 and PM800's. Now i want to add another subwoofer since the prosub 600 is lacking in my large living room. If I add a prosub 800, can i run both? I've heard if you are running more then 1 sub that its advisable to get matching subs. Is the Prosub 600 and 800 close enough to use both together?
Hello S, thank you for asking. The issue is that if you have two subs that are not the same model, the lesser of the two can run out of steam and hit its peak limits before the other does. Having said that, if you plan to put the 800 in an area where the room is more "open" it may work out fine, because subs typically have to work a little harder when there are no reinforcing walls near them. So in my view, matching subs would be even better but this will probably work out OK. In any event, experimenting with subwoofer placement is a really good idea if you can do so. Placement can make a huge difference, as reflected bass sound often makes up more of what we hear than direct bass sound. Let us know how it goes OK? Best, Joe
post #6104 of 7193
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeatdefinitive View Post

Hello S, thank you for asking. The issue is that if you have two subs that are not the same model, the lesser of the two can run out of steam and hit its peak limits before the other does. Having said that, if you plan to put the 800 in an area where the room is more "open" it may work out fine, because subs typically have to work a little harder when there are no reinforcing walls near them. So in my view, matching subs would be even better but this will probably work out OK. In any event, experimenting with subwoofer placement is a really good idea if you can do so. Placement can make a huge difference, as reflected bass sound often makes up more of what we hear than direct bass sound. Let us know how it goes OK? Best, Joe

Thanks Joe, Do you think it would sound better using just one sub like the supercube 2000 or stick with above option? Is the only difference between the prosub 600 & 800 just the size of amp?

I dont want to overpower the rest of the setup with too powerful sub either, if thats even possible. One of my reasons behind getting the PS800 was because ive heard that having 2 subs is supposed to make the sound field amazing compared to just 1 subwoofer.
Edited by S281 - 10/8/12 at 3:17pm
post #6105 of 7193
Quote:
Originally Posted by S281 View Post

Thanks Joe, Do you think it would sound better using just one sub like the supercube 2000 or stick with above option? Is the only difference between the prosub 600 & 800 just the size of amp?
I dont want to overpower the rest of the setup with too powerful sub either, if thats even possible. One of my reasons behind getting the PS800 was because ive heard that having 2 subs is supposed to make the sound field amazing compared to just 1 subwoofer.
Hello S, the 600 sub has a smaller cabinet as well as the amp size difference. The 800 can both playa little louder and go a little deeper in the bass. I am not worried about you overpowering the rest of the set-up by adding a ProSub 800. Yes, twin subs are a great way to go. Since the two subs have slightly different characteristics, you will have to do some tuning of the system in order to get them to play nicely together - but it should sound really nice. The SuperCube 2000 is an amazing performer for its size, and it sounds great. But there is something to be said for using twin subwoofers too, as you can get better bass over a wider section of the listening area. I hope this helps - best, Joe
post #6106 of 7193
Hello All,

I have been lurking for a while and I am at point that I need some help. We are updating with new TV and surround sound. Right now I am going with Def Tech 1000's and a Super Cube 2000 pushed with a Denon 1913 . The room is 17'W x 19' Long. As you can see in the picture that Sharp 70" is quiet a bit larger than the 8 year old Sony. It is going in the same place as the Sony currently is.

The house has a strange double mantel. Not something you see much but now it doesn't bother us. I put the center speaker on the upper mantel just for reference in the pic. The new TV will take up most of the space so the center must be mounted above the upper mantel. It would get a wall mount and pointed slightly down.

Here is the million dollar question. Where would you mount the L & R front speakers? According to paperwork that came with the 1000's, it says they speakers should be at least 6' apart (which is not a problem for the most part in this room). I kind of like putting them in the position right above where the framed picture is on the left side. Picture would be moved of course. That would kill the idea of them being 6' apart. The wife likes the idea of putting them higher up. On the left side it would be about 2' from the corner and about half way between the door frame and the white trim on the wall. I do have the Def Tech wall mounts already.

We are open for just about any suggestions. Thanks for help!

post #6107 of 7193
I don't think that mounting a TV much too high for comfortable viewing justifies also mounting speakers far too high for proper sound. Front speakers should be as close to listeners' seated ear level as possible.
post #6108 of 7193
i guess you do realize that behind the large Sharp TV (that is currently sitting on top of a coffee table) is a fire place. Sorry that it got covered up in the picture.

I don't have anywhere else to mount the TV in that room
post #6109 of 7193
Yes, but you don't have to compound the problem. Put the center channel speaker under the screen, and the R/L speakers level with it.
post #6110 of 7193
hey Imherdad, my advice to you is to get ahold of ladders and listen to the speakers placed on the ladders in the different positions and go with what sounds best to you. smile.gif
post #6111 of 7193
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

Yes, but you don't have to compound the problem. Put the center channel speaker under the screen, and the R/L speakers level with it.
Good point RD, and Todd's idea of temporarily mounting them on ladder rungs is excellent as well. You might as well try it out before permanently mounting them, right? Best, Joe
post #6112 of 7193
thanks for the replies. I guess the main question is what is more important. height of the speakers or physical separation of the speakers?
Edited by ImHerDad - 10/16/12 at 4:33pm
post #6113 of 7193
Both matter, of course. Putting the center channel speaker up at the wall/ceiling boundary will fundamentally change its sound, making it not match the main L/R speakers if they are located away from a boundary. This compromises the basic purpose of buying timbre-matched speakers, and will degrade imaging.

Distance between main speakers is usually recommended as forming an equilateral triangle with the primary listening position. Too much separation usually hurts the sound more than too little.

Rigging temporary stands with ladders or something is excellent advice. Many factors can affect the sound in a room, things that can't be predicted from pictures or descriptions.
post #6114 of 7193
Hello Definitive Technology fans, you might want to check out our Facebook page for a chance to win a SoloCinema XTR. Enjoy - best, Joe
post #6115 of 7193
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImHerDad View Post

thanks for the replies. I guess the main question is what is more important. height of the speakers or physical separation of the speakers?

Both. That said, you have a tough space, but I do agree at looking at trying to mount the center channel below the TV vs above. If you cannot make that work, then angling down towards the listening position is you next best bet, but I have to think you will get worse imaging and might lose some of the dynamics of the speaker with them mounted that high.
post #6116 of 7193
Hey guys, I have been using a set of four KEF iQ9 floor standing speakers and a iQ 6 center in a fairly open basement area for the last 5 years with impressive results. They are paired with. 15" Elelmental design sub...don't remember the model but it was all the rage one here in '07. Having recently bought a house with a small living room with hardwoord floors and a large glass slider I'm afraid the setup will be to boomy or overpower the space. Plus the placement for large tower surrounds are not ideal...the only real place is up in the corners of the room, likely 8 ft up. I saw the 600 set at BB and was curious. I know it's apples and oranges but I wonder what those with experience with the 600s would think, how would they compare to 5 year old towers in a small living room with a half vaulted ceiling and a lot of hard surfaces?
Thanks!
post #6117 of 7193
Hi All - I'm in a somewhat similar placement predicament to Imherdad, and have a few questions. Any advice would be appreciated and here's a little info on my situation:

The nearly completed dedicated HT area of my basement is 12' wide x 19' deep and my ceilings are just south of 8' high. My fixed-frame projection screen covers much of the wall, leaving about 1' on either side, 10" above, and 16" from the floor. The seating is pretty much straight-on to the screen wall, with a front row of 3 at 13' back, and 3 more behind on a 2nd row riser. AVR is a Pioneer VSX-60, which I received as a gift.

I just picked up four 800's for Front and Sides, a PC1000 for Center, and the Pro Sub 800 - mainly because I really liked the sound, but also think they'll be more than enough for my limited room dimensions and usage preference (mostly BD/DVD films and some sports).

My questions are:

1. I have 36" stands that would work fine for the fronts, which I could place a bit off and away from the corners. In this case, would it make much difference if I placed the 1000 Center above the screen tilting downward somewhat, or building a small platform to place it about a foot off the floor tilted up? My thinking is that - either way - the PC1000 would be in the same proximity to the 800 Fronts, within a couple feet above or below parallel. My only other option is building a 12" platform across the entire floor, but I'd prefer to avoid that unless absolutely necessary. Would the former option severely affect the sound quality?

2. The Side Surrounds must be ceiling mounted, due to a soffit that runs a bit behind the back seats and the room widening toward the back with a passage . My question here is - and pardon me if this sounds simple - since I want to get as far below the ceiling as possible, but factoring the limited height, would it be detrimental for any reason in mounting these upside-down? I know it sounds funny, but I don't want the speakers' "radiator" to hug the ceiling, or people hitting their head on them. That's the only alternative that I can think of, especially since the wires have been run through the ceiling to these areas before having chosen these speaker types. I had originally planned on using my older BA HTIB Surrounds for the sides until I heard the DT's.

Any advice or ideas would be welcome and please excuse my lack of knowledge. I'm not tech-savvy and this is my first try at a semi-serious home theater. Thanks in advance.

Rich
post #6118 of 7193
Quote:
Originally Posted by richieprimo View Post

Hi All - I'm in a somewhat similar placement predicament to Imherdad, and have a few questions. Any advice would be appreciated and here's a little info on my situation:
The nearly completed dedicated HT area of my basement is 12' wide x 19' deep and my ceilings are just south of 8' high. My fixed-frame projection screen covers much of the wall, leaving about 1' on either side, 10" above, and 16" from the floor. The seating is pretty much straight-on to the screen wall, with a front row of 3 at 13' back, and 3 more behind on a 2nd row riser. AVR is a Pioneer VSX-60, which I received as a gift.
I just picked up four 800's for Front and Sides, a PC1000 for Center, and the Pro Sub 800 - mainly because I really liked the sound, but also think they'll be more than enough for my limited room dimensions and usage preference (mostly BD/DVD films and some sports).
My questions are:
1. I have 36" stands that would work fine for the fronts, which I could place a bit off and away from the corners. In this case, would it make much difference if I placed the 1000 Center above the screen tilting downward somewhat, or building a small platform to place it about a foot off the floor tilted up? My thinking is that - either way - the PC1000 would be in the same proximity to the 800 Fronts, within a couple feet above or below parallel. My only other option is building a 12" platform across the entire floor, but I'd prefer to avoid that unless absolutely necessary. Would the former option severely affect the sound quality?
2. The Side Surrounds must be ceiling mounted, due to a soffit that runs a bit behind the back seats and the room widening toward the back with a passage . My question here is - and pardon me if this sounds simple - since I want to get as far below the ceiling as possible, but factoring the limited height, would it be detrimental for any reason in mounting these upside-down? I know it sounds funny, but I don't want the speakers' "radiator" to hug the ceiling, or people hitting their head on them. That's the only alternative that I can think of, especially since the wires have been run through the ceiling to these areas before having chosen these speaker types. I had originally planned on using my older BA HTIB Surrounds for the sides until I heard the DT's.
Any advice or ideas would be welcome and please excuse my lack of knowledge. I'm not tech-savvy and this is my first try at a semi-serious home theater. Thanks in advance.
Rich
Hello Richie, I am off to visit customers in the far East shortly, but here is my brief take on your questions: 1. Getting the center channel in proximity with the L&R along the horizontal plane is a good idea, but few home theaters have all three speakers exactly in line with each other. Experiment a bit with it (using chairs, ladders, or other such temporary place-holders) and see what you are happy with. 2. There is no problem with an up-side down mounting. Lots of installations have that, in order to get the tweeters closer to ear height. Thanks for owning Definitive! Best regards, Joe
post #6119 of 7193
Thanks for your advice, Joe. I'm hoping that since the 1000 is a slight bit of a step up from the 800's, it may help compensate somewhat for the minor placement offset. I don't have any other options for the sides, so it seems that upside-down it is. I will try the different placements for the 3 fronts as you - and others in this thread - have suggested.

Thanks again for the reply. The advice from you, and many others on these forums is well-appreciated by people like myself who are just learning the do's and don'ts in this field. Have a nice trip!

Best,
Rich
post #6120 of 7193
I'm looking for some advice in selecting a set of fronts for my system. I currently have a Def Tech Super cube 3 sub, BP1.2x surrounds and a Pro Center2000 center channel. My amp is a Denon 2112ci. I've been looking at the Pro 1000 and the new Studio monitors55. I've also thought about some floor standing BP6's or BP10's. Which would be the best match?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Definitive Technology ProCinema Series 600/800/1000 (or 60/80/100) Thread