or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › *Official* Denon 5308 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

*Official* Denon 5308 Thread - Page 9

post #241 of 4955
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBPM View Post

Let there be light! AMEN!

A manual on-line would really light things up.

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #242 of 4955
Quote:
Originally Posted by CadmanDigital4U View Post

You can do as I plan to do. I'm using the 5308 to drive the tweeters of my 7.1 setup and I'm using An Earthquake Sound Cinenova Seven (300 wpc) to power the woofers. I'm adding a pair of JL audio Gothams for my subs.

That's an interesting option, especially since I already have a 7-channel amp with only 2 channels in use (to power extra set of surrounds).

Thinking about 5805 vs 5308, what are implications of changing from a Denon in the x3xx series from the x8xx series??
post #243 of 4955
I have been following this thread since the start. In the UK, the RRP is going to be aprx £3800.00 or in USD $7600.00 at today's ROE (and February 08 launch by the way)

I can pick up the 4308 for £1900.00 (USD 3800) so the big question that has been running through my mind for the last few months is what am I getting for double the money? I am currently using an AVC-A1SR which obviously has no HDMI but still gives a good sound with DD and DTS.

I will let the processing be done by the DVD player or PS3, so what ever I am playing will be passing directly through the amp with no visual trickery taking place. In that case, am I just getting an extra 10 W per chanel for my extra USD 3800.00 or am I missing something here?

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Chris
post #244 of 4955
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarlouis View Post

I will let the processing be done by the DVD player or PS3, so what ever I am playing will be passing directly through the amp with no visual trickery taking place. In that case, am I just getting an extra 10 W per chanel for my extra USD 3800.00 or am I missing something here?

Do you not have any other video sources such as cable or satellite that would benefit from higher-quality upconversion? The Realta may very well do a better job than your DVD player.

On the audio side, the big difference is having better DACs and having them implemented differentially (two per channel).

The 5308 also has more inputs, which I imagine won't matter to most people but is useful to me.

The construction of the 5308 is clearly better, but that doesn't mean you can hear or see a difference.
post #245 of 4955
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem View Post

Do you not have any other video sources such as cable or satellite that would benefit from higher-quality upconversion? The Realta may very well do a better job than your DVD player.

On the audio side, the big difference is having better DACs and having them implemented differentially (two per channel).

The 5308 also has more inputs, which I imagine won't matter to most people but is useful to me.

The construction of the 5308 is clearly better, but that doesn't mean you can hear or see a difference.

Thanks for your reply. I did not make myself very clear when I stated DVD player - I meant Blue Ray DVD player - which I will purchase next year when Denon launch. At the moment I am using the PS3 and the picture is great. Upscalling of SD DVD's is also very good on the Pioneer from the PS3. Freeview (via satellite) looks great on the pioneer already and to be honnest, I dont watch that much actual Television on the screen - usually movies.

Will the arrangement of DAC's make a huge difference to the sound with my speakers? - my kit list can be seen on profile.

Any advice is welcome on this as if the 5308 is going to be considerably better, I will take this model but I dont really want to speend double of my hard earned cash if the difference is going to be minimal for my needs.

Thanks

Chris
post #246 of 4955
Gads January
Oh well I have been waiting since September . As far as connections I shall use the pass thru hdmi for the Pioneer Elite Blu Ray player. The Sat reciver from Direct TV at 1080i will be processed by the Realta chip set {Much more processing power 1TeraFlop} and scale it form 1080i to 1080p The other advantage of the 5308 is the switching form a wide varity of units such as in my case a Pioneer Elite Laser Disc player{ A large collection of CAV's } A pioneer Elite DVD player {dv909} and of course the laters addition the Toshiba HD a35, good unit but it lackes processing. Also I noticed I noticed an Improved version of the Audyssey which I hope will make bi amping sound better. Is it worth twice the price of a 4308 or the Onkyo 9 series, Yes in my case.
post #247 of 4955
Finally! A spec sheet on the 5308ci.

Opinions please...

I have a 5803 and want something that is similar in size to that receiver since I have limited shelf space under my DLP set.

The 5803 is 170w x 7 and the 5308ci is 150w x 7 and doesn't mention anything about 6 ohm loads.

Will I notice any differences in volume between the two since there is a 20 watt difference per channel?

Anyone know whether the amp section is better in the 5308ci vs. the 5803?

Would having the Realta T2 processor benefit me any with the components I have?

Denon 2930ci ( DVD )
Toshiba A30 ( HD-DVD )
Dish ViP 210 satellite receiver

My other components.

Mitsubishi Diamond 65" DLP WD-65833
Definitive Technology BP-7000sc ( L & R )
Definitive Technology CLR 3000 ( Center )
JBL L7 4-way tower ( Surrounds - only using the top 3-way section )
EoSone 350 ( Back Surrounds - 2-way )
post #248 of 4955
Quote:
Originally Posted by jevans64 View Post

Finally! A spec sheet on the 5308ci.

Opinions please...

I have a 5803 and want something that is similar in size to that receiver since I have limited shelf space under my DLP set.

The 5803 is 170w x 7 and the 5308ci is 150w x 7 and doesn't mention anything about 6 ohm loads.

Will I notice any differences in volume between the two since there is a 20 watt difference per channel?

Anyone know whether the amp section is better in the 5308ci vs. the 5803?

Would having the Realta T2 processor benefit me any with the components I have?

Denon 2930ci ( DVD )
Toshiba A30 ( HD-DVD )
Dish ViP 210 satellite receiver

My other components.

Mitsubishi Diamond 65" DLP WD-65833
Definitive Technology BP-7000sc ( L & R )
Definitive Technology CLR 3000 ( Center )
JBL L7 4-way tower ( Surrounds - only using the top 3-way section )
EoSone 350 ( Back Surrounds - 2-way )

The amp section of your 5803 will be slightly more robust than the amp section of the new 5308ci. That said, I doubt your DefTech's (nice speaker setup btw) will miss 20 watts. In fact the 150w from the 5308ci may be slightly cleaner than the 170w of the 5803, just based on the new design features and apparent build quality and internal lay out of the 5803ci.
Just my best guess........

dc
post #249 of 4955
Now that this is closer to the street, can someone confirm for sure whether it will support 3 separate SubWoofer channels? (such as 'Front', 'Surrounds' and 'LFE')

I would like to use 3 separate subs and would like to separate the lower frequencies from those channels.
post #250 of 4955
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjam View Post

Now that this is closer to the street, can someone confirm for sure whether it will support 3 separate SubWoofer channels? (such as 'Front', 'Surrounds' and 'LFE')

I would like to use 3 separate subs and would like to separate the lower frequencies from those channels.

The product PDF has a picture of the back panel....it shows 3 separate sub preouts...
post #251 of 4955
Quote:
Originally Posted by jevans64 View Post

Finally! A spec sheet on the 5308ci.

Opinions please...

I have a 5803 and want something that is similar in size to that receiver since I have limited shelf space under my DLP set.

The 5803 is 170w x 7 and the 5308ci is 150w x 7 and doesn't mention anything about 6 ohm loads.

Will I notice any differences in volume between the two since there is a 20 watt difference per channel?

Anyone know whether the amp section is better in the 5308ci vs. the 5803?

Would having the Realta T2 processor benefit me any with the components I have?

Denon 2930ci ( DVD )
Toshiba A30 ( HD-DVD )
Dish ViP 210 satellite receiver

My other components.

Mitsubishi Diamond 65" DLP WD-65833
Definitive Technology BP-7000sc ( L & R )
Definitive Technology CLR 3000 ( Center )
JBL L7 4-way tower ( Surrounds - only using the top 3-way section )
EoSone 350 ( Back Surrounds - 2-way )

The HQV Realta video scaler will do a very nice job processing a 480i 720i-720p source. Plus the signal processing for HDMI1.3 audio makes this piece a winner
post #252 of 4955
I see that you can preorder this unit from Listen Up for $3999 (23% off list) that seems pretty reasonable. I have to wonder what outfits that sell at a discount will sell it for (6th Ave etc) because I don't think Listen Up has been adverting any other Denon receivers for anything but list.
post #253 of 4955
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKR1963 View Post

I see that you can preorder this unit from Listen Up for $3999 (23% off list) that seems pretty reasonable.

I wrote them about the price to ask if it was just for pre-orders, and they responded by changing the price to MSRP. I guess it was too good to be true.
post #254 of 4955
The more I read about this thing, the 5803ci, the more I think (in the back of my mind).... D2 killer

dc
post #255 of 4955
Quote:
Originally Posted by jevans64 View Post

Finally! A spec sheet on the 5308ci.

Opinions please...

I have a 5803 and want something that is similar in size to that receiver since I have limited shelf space under my DLP set.

The 5803 is 170w x 7 and the 5308ci is 150w x 7 and doesn't mention anything about 6 ohm loads.

Will I notice any differences in volume between the two since there is a 20 watt difference per channel?

Anyone know whether the amp section is better in the 5308ci vs. the 5803?

Would having the Realta T2 processor benefit me any with the components I have?

Denon 2930ci ( DVD )
Toshiba A30 ( HD-DVD )
Dish ViP 210 satellite receiver

My other components.

Mitsubishi Diamond 65" DLP WD-65833
Definitive Technology BP-7000sc ( L & R )
Definitive Technology CLR 3000 ( Center )
JBL L7 4-way tower ( Surrounds - only using the top 3-way section )
EoSone 350 ( Back Surrounds - 2-way )

You should know the answers to these questions based on the money you spent!
post #256 of 4955
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem View Post

I wrote them about the price to ask if it was just for pre-orders, and they responded by changing the price to MSRP. I guess it was too good to be true.

Actually considering Denon has strict rules about authorized dealers using MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) I'm guessing ListenUp had an internal price posted online accidentally. I'd be willing to bet that if you call them and ask for their best internet price you'd find it was $3999.
post #257 of 4955
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post

You should know the answers to these questions based on the money you spent!

Yes I do but I wanted to get some opinions before I unloaded more cash. I could live without having to route everything through the receiver but I was unsure about the quality of the amp section of the 5308ci vs. the 5803 and whether I would really need the Realta scaler.

I got a respectable pre-order deal from the dealer ( Denon authorized ) I usually buy stuff from, so it looks like the 5803 is going up for sale.
post #258 of 4955
Just an FYI: The Owners manual has been posted to Denon's site.
post #259 of 4955
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCatcher View Post

The more I read about this thing, the 5803ci, the more I think (in the back of my mind).... D2 killer

dc

Being a former D2 owner, and having just read the manual, on the audio feature side of things, this looks to have the D2 trumped, and I am sure it will sound great...

On the video side of things... not so much. Minimal video adjustments, and none on 1080p sources.
post #260 of 4955
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

On the video side of things... not so much. Minimal video adjustments, and none on 1080p sources.

Ughh now I have to go read a manual. And expecting the worst. Someone just chime in and say the video processing is magical and the best ever and totally worth the extra money; so I don't need to read a manual and can still delude... I mean rationalize myself into getting the 5308 over the 4308.
post #261 of 4955
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikk View Post

Ughh now I have to go read a manual. And expecting the worst. Someone just chime in and say the video processing is magical and the best ever and totally worth the extra money; so I don't need to read a manual and can still delude... I mean rationalize myself into getting the 5308 over the 4308.

I'm guessing that this will need to be seen to judge the value proposition. Adjustments are not the biggest objective (to me) if the quality is high. The Anthem has lots of adjustability, but my preference is to have something that "just" works.
post #262 of 4955
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

Being a former D2 owner, and having just read the manual, on the audio feature side of things, this looks to have the D2 trumped, and I am sure it will sound great...

On the video side of things... not so much. Minimal video adjustments, and none on 1080p sources.

No adjustments on 1080p,
does this mean no video processing on 1080p?

dc
post #263 of 4955
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCatcher View Post

No adjustments on 1080p,
does this mean no video processing on 1080p?

dc

According to the manual, no.

"When the input signal is 1080p the "Picture Adjust" setting will be ineffective."
post #264 of 4955
It appears that aspect ratio and scalar control can be set per input on this unit as well
post #265 of 4955
Few interesting notes from Manual.

- Recommends pass-through of video
- 1080p component in only goes 1080p component out
- no 720p<->1080i conversion
- No HDMI (any res) to component (not unusual)
- DVI/HDMI disclaimers

It doesn't sound like one could set a fixed 1080p output and have proper conversion all the time. It sounds like the destination resolution sets the output, i.e., can't override the EDID type information.

Unfortunately the last few things know this off my list.
post #266 of 4955
[quote=FilmMixer;12553815]Being a former D2 owner, and having just read the manual, on the audio feature side of things, this looks to have the D2 trumped,

QUOTE]

What makes you say that??
post #267 of 4955
The owner's manual is now available on Denon's web site:

http://www.usa.denon.com/AVR-5308CI-OM-E_003.pdf

Enjoy,
Dave C.
post #268 of 4955
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorO View Post

What makes you say that??

7.1 HDMI PCM inputs, DSD decoding, Aud MultiXT EQ (I know an EQ option for the D2 is coming), WiFi and Ethernet internet radio streaming and HD radio, DTHD, DD+, DTS-HD and DTS-MA decoding, more flexible multi zone connections, sub management... there are many more.

I was talking feature set, not sound quality... I was very fond tof the D2's upsampling, and thought it was a very airy, tranparent processor. I do expect this Denon, and the pre, to sound amazing.

An it still looks like the D2's scaler implimentation is much more configurable and complete....

And as an FYI, I replaced my D2 with a 4308... if I am ever able to sell my house, my new theater will probably be outfitted with the Denon pre-pro
post #269 of 4955
So the 5308 is beginning to show some bruises already and it's not even on the market yet....
For the price Denon is charging for this beast I was counting/hoping that Denon did something special with its video processing... apparently not.
The 4308 is looking better and better.
I think I'll wait to see what Pioneer has done with their new flagship and go from there.

dc
post #270 of 4955
A receiver with discrete mono block amplifier channels. WOW!!! A hdmi input on the front would've been icing on the cake.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Gear mentioned in this thread:

AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › *Official* Denon 5308 Thread