or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › SVS MTS Family
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SVS MTS Family - Page 14

post #391 of 635
I received my 5.0 MTS family of speakers yesterday and set them up this morning. One of the tweeter domes on one MTS tower was pushed in when I unpacked it. I used a vacuum to suck it out, but there is still a small crease in it. It doesn't seem to affect sound quality, but I emailed SVS tech support nonetheless.

This small problem aside, these speakers sound fantastic. To be honest, I'm amazed how much better they sound than my Infinity Alpha system. The biggest shocker for me was the bass output in 2 channel. My Alpha's have dual 8" woofers, and they don't have the punch these dual 6.5" put out. I guess that puts to rest any doubts I may have had in that dept.

Midrange sounds great, and not laid back to my ears. Imaging is wonderful, and the highs are clear. I hear more nuance in my music now than I did before. I still have much listening to do, as well as experiment with the port plugs (all running bass reflex for now), but this is going to be fun. As of right now, I do not regret my purchase one bit.
post #392 of 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamageMcRamage View Post

I received my 5.0 MTS family of speakers yesterday and set them up this morning. One of the tweeter domes on one MTS tower was pushed in when I unpacked it. I used a vacuum to suck it out, but there is still a small crease in it. It doesn't seem to affect sound quality, but I emailed SVS tech support nonetheless.

This small problem aside, these speakers sound fantastic. To be honest, I'm amazed how much better they sound than my Infinity Alpha system. The biggest shocker for me was the bass output in 2 channel. My Alpha's have dual 8" woofers, and they don't have the punch these dual 6.5" put out. I guess that puts to rest any doubts I may have had in that dept.

Midrange sounds great, and not laid back to my ears. Imaging is wonderful, and the highs are clear. I hear more nuance in my music now than I did before. I still have much listening to do, as well as experiment with the port plugs (all running bass reflex for now), but this is going to be fun. As of right now, I do not regret my purchase one bit.

Congrats Damage !!!!! but I only have one thing to say......

post #393 of 635
post #394 of 635
Hell yeah.... very nice and Impressive setup you got there Robb....

Those Dual Ultra's must just rock your world... Beautiful...
I'll bet those Barbie Dolls really shake their booties when the music is a pumpin... !!!!
No insult implied, as I have no idea if they are Barbie or what... looks like a fashion show...
post #395 of 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

Hell yeah.... very nice and Impressive setup you got there Robb....

Those Dual Ultra's must just rock your world... Beautiful...
I'll bet those Barbie Dolls really shake their booties when the music is a pumpin... !!!!
No insult implied, as I have no idea if they are Barbie or what... looks like a fashion show...

Thanks! The dolls are my wife's hobby, the stereo is mine (not Barbies, I'm told). I have knocked them over during demos. I'm actually a bit bummed because, as a hobby, you always want to upgrade. Since I got these speakers, there's nothing in my system I want to upgrade (assuming no components die on me). I guess I'll need to upgrade my Suzuki for a Harley Davidson...

-Robb
post #396 of 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbroy View Post

Since I got these speakers, there's nothing in my system I want to upgrade (assuming no components die on me). I guess I'll need to upgrade my Suzuki for a Harley Davidson...

-Robb


I'm pretty sure that is what all this is about, finding your happy place with the equipment that works for you.... I have found that I'm pretty much happy with all my equipment in both my systems except for my subs in my great room, just don't have enough chest pounding impact, but I have a ridiculously gynormous room 8000+ and as much as I love them, my 2 - Plus/2's just aren't enough. I'm thinkin 4- 18" sealed will probably be the only way to get me there...

I am really looking forward to hearing the .v2 MTS's....

You must be getting old if your considering joining the Harley Cult
I have an FJR1300 - 150hp, and I would like to add a laid back cruiser but the lack of HP with harleys is kind of depressing... although they are so freakin sweet on long hauls...
post #397 of 635
Very nice system Robb. I've been considering adding a second Ultra to my MTS system. It looks terrific in your room.
post #398 of 635
Warp, I enjoyed reading your review of the first MTS system. I hope you will share your impressions of version 2.
post #399 of 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

Congrats Damage !!!!! but I only have one thing to say......


Ha! Thanks for the congrats Warp, I appreciate it. Unfortunately, I can't post pics because I don't have a digital camera or a webcam. I gotta get me a digital camera, dang it! I hope to hear your impressions of the V2 MTS when you hear them. Like I said, I'm loving these speakers so far.
post #400 of 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamageMcRamage View Post

Midrange sounds great, and not laid back to my ears. Imaging is wonderful, and the highs are clear. I hear more nuance in my music now than I did before. I still have much listening to do, as well as experiment with the port plugs (all running bass reflex for now), but this is going to be fun. As of right now, I do not regret my purchase one bit.

Damage, Congratulations! I'm also glad to hear you are happy with the v2 crossovers. I still haven't decided whether to ship my system for the new crossovers.
post #401 of 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmorel View Post

Damage, Congratulations! I'm also glad to hear you are happy with the v2 crossovers. I still haven't decided whether to ship my system for the new crossovers.

Thanks, Kmorel! Unfortunately, I never had a chance to hear v1, so I wouldn't be able to give my opinion on which version sounds the best. I have to be honest though, these things are much better than my Infinity system. Bass, treble, midrange...all of it. Crystal clear sound, I'd call it. I listened to Paradigm Studio 100's back in May, and came away disappointed. The MTS are better speakers, IMHO. No offense Warp, I know you love your Studio's!
post #402 of 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamageMcRamage View Post

I listened to Paradigm Studio 100's back in May, and came away disappointed. The MTS are better speakers, IMHO. No offense Warp, I know you love your Studio's!

There is obviously something wrong with you.... !!!!!!
I'M SO DONE TALKING TO YOU BUDDY........ !!!!!!!!

HA

Now that is exactly why this is such a subjective hobby.... what sounds great to one person, is mediocre to another, and the next person can be just the total opposite... Everyones ears are different, and to me it would be absolutely impossible to tell someone what speakers to buy.... get out and listen people. Sample as many speakers as you can... and for those that can't, all these direct companies like SVS offer a fantastic opportunity for you...

If you want to get a feeling for how they sound to you, just try out a pair of bookshelves, they will easily provide you the ability to see if they work for you, as they are inexpensive to ship back if you personally don't care for them. The bookshelves will have exactly the same voicing as the center and towers, but won't cost so much to ship back if you feel they just aren't for you. A quick shipping quote for 60lbs yielded a cost of $40-50 from across the states, a fair price to me for finding just that right sound you will have for years to come. Thats less then a tank of gas...

I have no doubt in my mind that SVS will extend to you the pricing for a 5.0 system if you like the bookshelves and wanted to add the center and towers after you tried them and found you really loved them... They want their customers to be happy, to no end.

Its worth it....
post #403 of 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

There is obviously something wrong with you.... !!!!!!
I'M SO DONE TALKING TO YOU BUDDY........ !!!!!!!!

HA

Now that is exactly why this is such a subjective hobby.... what sounds great to one person, is mediocre to another, and the next person can be just the total opposite...

LOL

So true. I just didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings.
post #404 of 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post


If you want to get a feeling for how they sound to you, just try out a pair of bookshelves, they will easily provide you the ability to see if they work for you, as they are inexpensive to ship back if you personally don't care for them. The bookshelves will have exactly the same voicing as the center and towers, but won't cost so much to ship back if you feel they just aren't for you. A quick shipping quote for 60lbs yielded a cost of $40-50 from across the states, a fair price to me for finding just that right sound you will have for years to come. Thats less then a tank of gas...

Another way to hear these is to ask folks who live near you for an audition. I've been giving auditions of my SVS gear to people in the Phoenix area for years. I enjoy getting to meet fellow enthusiasts.

-Robb
post #405 of 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbroy View Post

Another way to hear these is to ask folks who live near you for an audition. I've been giving auditions of my SVS gear to people in the Phoenix area for years. I enjoy getting to meet fellow enthusiasts.

-Robb

+1 and good man for letting people into your house for auditions of your gear.

I agree it always nice to make new friends with people who share the same passion.
post #406 of 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbroy View Post

Another way to hear these is to ask folks who live near you for an audition. I've been giving auditions of my SVS gear to people in the Phoenix area for years. I enjoy getting to meet fellow enthusiasts.

-Robb

I would like to give people auditions of these SVS speakers. How did you go about doing that? Does SVS have a list that they refer people to? I don't know how many people in the expansive State of Rhode Island know about SVS, but hey, I'd be more than happy.
post #407 of 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamageMcRamage View Post

I would like to give people auditions of these SVS speakers. How did you go about doing that? Does SVS have a list that they refer people to? I don't know how many people in the expansive State of Rhode Island know about SVS, but hey, I'd be more than happy.

There used to be a couple of sites that would match people up with gear, but they've been long dead. Now, when I see someone is in AZ and asking questions on the forums about SV Sound gear, I PM them with an invitation. Also, they send me PMs asking for them.

-Robb
post #408 of 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbroy View Post

There used to be a couple of sites that would match people up with gear, but they've been long dead. Now, when I see someone is in AZ and asking questions on the forums about SV Sound gear, I PM them with an invitation. Also, they send me PMs asking for them.

-Robb

I see, I'll just have to keep a lookout for those in RI. By the way robbroy, I love Arizona, been there 3 times. I would live to retire to Sedona, or the Scottsdale area.
post #409 of 635
Well, here is one crappy pic

And a few more, I have a small room, so it was tough to take good pictures
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #410 of 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmorel View Post

I would like to see some pre/post new crossover measurements with the same speaker.


We can now provide these - both at the same drive level, and level-matched. Just contact us at Sales.
post #411 of 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearchan View Post

Thanks for the heads up.


Ed:

I knew the MCS was going to be a 2.5. But I was surprised to read S/V's Daniel Kumin stating the MTS is a 2.5. Is this correct?

Yes, the tower is also a 2.5-way design. The extra cabinet volume allowed us to design for a deeper tuning frequency and greater extension compared to the center channel. The bass response alignment is an EBS (extended bass shelf), which works very well in-room with a bit of room gain.

We also can provide an overlay of all three speakers level matched, which shows the similarities in their overall voicing, and also shows the EBS alignment of the tower and its additional extension over the bookshelf and center.
post #412 of 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Mullen View Post

We can now provide these - both at the same drive level, and level-matched. Just contact us at Sales.

Thanks very much Ed. Would it be possible to post the link here? The link I received from sales last week no longer seems to work. Also, I would like to hear what some of the experts in this forum think of the differences.
post #413 of 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmorel View Post

Thanks very much Ed. Would it be possible to post the link here? The link I received from sales last week no longer seems to work. Also, I would like to hear what some of the experts in this forum think of the differences.

We completed the updates to our M-series specs page, and decided to only show the FR on the website. Beyond that is simply TMI for most customers, and we didn't want the specs page to confuse anyone with old/new data.

The rest of the measuement data (impedance, phase, dispersion) and the V1/V2 overlays (both same drive level and level matched), and the M-series family overlay are all available from SVS in PDF format on a case-by-case basis. So just email us and ask, and I'd be glad to provide them.
post #414 of 635
I've had my eye on the MTS-01 for a while epecially with the upgraded crossovers,they seem to be the best buy under $2k a pair,they have some very pricey parts,seems like with the new brain everything is opperating at full capacity now,good stuff,I love their look,good to know that SVS is making great speakers right in my back yard,congrats!
post #415 of 635
Two weeks ago I shipped the mts's and mcs that I have in for the crossover change. I got them back last night. To me they are a completely different speaker. Put in some Jack Johnson to start with. Without room calibration my initial impressions: Mostly for the good to my ear. The bass was definatly better. I think imaging was slightly improved. The mids are not as laid back, and this is what I'm not sure I like better. I know this was viewed as a weekness in version 1, so I think most people will like the mids now, I haven't decided yet. I need more time with them, and to run the room correction. When I shipped them off I had to go back to the old speakers(infinity beta 50's). This made me remember how much of an upgrade these speakers are.

On a side note. I have infinity primus as surrounds, and want to get some wall mounted surrounds. Any suggestions for a good surround match. The mbs's are to big.

Also, I live in North Carolina and would happily let a member hear the speakers.
post #416 of 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsow View Post

Two weeks ago I shipped the mts's and mcs that I have in for the crossover change. I got them back last night. To me they are a completely different speaker. Put in some Jack Johnson to start with. Without room calibration my initial impressions: Mostly for the good to my ear. The bass was definatly better. I think imaging was slightly improved. The mids are not as laid back, and this is what I'm not sure I like better. I know this was viewed as a weekness in version 1, so I think most people will like the mids now, I haven't decided yet. I need more time with them, and to run the room correction. When I shipped them off I had to go back to the old speakers(infinity beta 50's). This made me remember how much of an upgrade these speakers are.

On a side note. I have infinity primus as surrounds, and want to get some wall mounted surrounds. Any suggestions for a good surround match. The mbs's are to big.

Also, I live in North Carolina and would happily let a member hear the speakers.

I agree about the upgrade over you Infinity's. I have the Alpha's (older brother's of the Beta's) and these MTS are much better. It's ashame you don't want to keep the MBS, though I do understand....they are huge! It's hard to believe the SVS calls these speakers mid-size Just about any speaker will be good for your surrounds, try the system with your Primus and see what you think.
post #417 of 635
I should have explained it a little better. I only have the front three, I didn't get the mbs because of there size. I have been using the primus for awhile as surrounds, but with three young kids they have been knocked over twice recently. So I'm in the market for two sets of new surround that I can wall mount. By the way how are the new speakers growing on you?
post #418 of 635
Fatsow,

I have my 4 MBS wall mounted without much trouble. There is actually a way to make it so the speakers are almost flush to the wall. The way I did it the speakers are slightly tilted down which works perfect so the ports have room to breathe. Also in my case the speaker are better angled to the listener. The was I did it is very cheap and very secure too. I originally bought 2 pairs of the onmimount 30s but the speakers were way to far off the wall. Not to mention the Omnimounts carry a hefty price tag for a speaker mount. I originally was going to go with different surrounds for the same reason as you but I'm SOOOOOO glad I didn't. I know me and I get the upgrade fever way too often to settle for less.
post #419 of 635
Joel Solid, how do they look mounted to the walls? I know what you mean about the getting the upgrade fever too often, and there's only one prescription. I am not sure I can get away with two sets of mbs's (7.2) in the living room where they have to go, WAF. She let's me have two subs, so I might have to compromise on this one, but I don't want to be looking for something better to soon.
post #420 of 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsow View Post

I should have explained it a little better. I only have the front three, I didn't get the mbs because of there size. I have been using the primus for awhile as surrounds, but with three young kids they have been knocked over twice recently. So I'm in the market for two sets of new surround that I can wall mount. By the way how are the new speakers growing on you?

Ah, I got ya. No kids yet, so I don't have to worry about that...just my cats. The speakers are wonderful, and as time goes on I find nothing negative, just great sound.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › SVS MTS Family