or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › SVS MTS Family
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SVS MTS Family - Page 16

post #451 of 635
Yeah a tower with a powered sub would be redundant for SVS.
The tweeter from the MTS should be a lock though and I would
also feel confident it is a three way design.
Maybe a higher quality mid woofer from peerless and who knows what
size side firing woofer?
post #452 of 635
Well guys and gals.... I am back to report.... MTS revisited

For those that don't know me, I have been a loyal SVS sub fan for a while, they were the source of my first REAL subs, I have 4 SVS subs in my house, 2 PB12-Plus/2's, 1 PB12-Plus, and a SB12-Plus for my son, and been thrilled with them for quite some time, so I figured I would give their debut Mid line speaker a shot, what could I lose, in home trial for 45 days, and If they weren't for me, I am not obligated to keep them, as you already know - just ship them back for a refund.... I did my research on what went into them, the premium tweeters and drivers, nice looking cabinets and the knowhow of subwoofer construction - so I did just that, I gave them a shot.

For those of you that do know me, just about a year ago I was looking for a full speaker setup for my bedroom layout, I felt the need to check out the MTS-01, MCS and MBS's hoping that they would be the ones for me, I tried them but alas they just didn't reel me in. Just a bit too laid back in the mids for me, owning the Paradigm Studios, I preferred a more forward speaker. Fast forward just about a year later, when I heard they made changes to the crossover it piqued my curiosity, I wondered if a change to the crossover could possibly change the entire nature of the sound and presence of a speaker. Then Ron & Ed of SVS contacted me out of the blue and made me an offer that I couldn't refuse, to give them another shot in my own home at no expense to me. How could I say no, for some reason they felt they had let me down, they knew what I liked and was looking for in a speaker, why would they make me this offer.

I have had a few weeks to play with them in different scenarios, putting them up against my own Studio's, my Paradigm Signatures, and a couple of other well known ID speaker brands some local friends were kind enough to bring to compare with. I have to say the changes that were made definitely get my vote of approval. If I hadn't already committed to the products I have now, and was on a search for new speakers, hearing the latest offerings of the reiteration of the MTS's, they would certainly be well up there on the list of possible suspects.

Once again, these speakers are large and heavy, solid construction, they got a nice look and are well thought out with the magnetic grills and fitment; they sent me Piano Black this time - nice As before the tweeter for me was great, smooth revealing but not harsh as a metal dome can be and a wide and deep soundstage. Something was different though, the new crossovers changed things, they weren't laid back anymore at all, in fact there were much closer to the Studio's then before. Now speakers are a totally subjective product, everyone's ears are different so some speakers are just not for everyone, which may be the reason that there are so many companies in business, in fact I like the Paradigm sound but there are many out there that just can't stand them. Only one way to figure that out, try on as many different speakers with music you know intimately. Some people just don't have the patients for this. I have auditioned quite a many different speakers, some being completely out of my price range and some for plain experimentation. I guess you can say I have a champagne taste on a beer budget, but I know what I like and also what I can afford.

First arrival and unpacking - I begin with replacing my Paradigm Sig S4's and C3 with the MTS and MCS , the start of my journey testing these new arrivals out Powered by my Icepower amp running 500wpc for the front 3 which doubles to 1000w at 4ohms coupled with my JL F112 and DIY 15 Sealed TC-2000 sub crossed over at 80hz in my small room was the first step for me How much can they handle and how long can they stay clean before they start to break up. The IcePower 1000ASP modules put out some serious power, not many speakers can maintain their composure fully loaded, which is one reason I have an affinity with the Sigs, they get loud and stay very clean, as do the MTS's. First thoughts -they can handle the full load and keep their composure, but loud isn't everything here. SQ - -Mid bass power and punch is well defined and controlled, and the tweeters are still silky smooth as I remembered them. The mids are much more open and forward now which to me is an improvement, they are extremely dynamic and clean. I can't say they match the sonic qualities of my Sig's to me, but we're talking about a speaker that is more than double the price. Compared to the Studio 100's, we have a closer match in price and sonic signature with the Studio's having a brighter and somewhat more revealing tweeter, but not by much. The MTS's are a soft dome, so you won't get that ringing like a metal dome. They seem to have completely changed the nature of the speaker with this new crossover.

Next up we brought them into my downstairs environment for some 2 channel listening. Speakers included- Paradigm Studio 100's, Paradigm Sigs, Salk Song tower - Ribbon Tweeter, and for bookshelves we brought over the Ascend Sierra's. Playing though various artist we compared speaker to speaker over a couple of beers and pizza, it was a nice relaxing time, no agenda, no hurry, just subjective listening. We were all very impressed with what SVS had done to make the changes, there is no question they have altered these speakers with the new crossover. I felt the imaging and sound stage were also improved as well as the mid bass response. In my own personal opinion the changes are certainly for the better, but again I must state if that to me speakers are a very subjective product, and one must sample and judge for themselves. For me - The MTS line redo has been a major step in the right direction.

To SVSound, thank you for the opportunity, it was truly a pleasure. I will continue to enjoy my communications I have had with Ed and Ron, hopefully for years to come. They truly care about their customers and it shows in the products, their customer care, and obviously they take to heart the opinions of all of their customers to want to continually improve the products they offer.



Here are a few pics of the small GTG, it was a grand time. After a while I had to just set the camera down and turn the attention to listening, so not all speakers played were pictured here.




post #453 of 635
I'm looking into getting a the 7.1 MTS and I was wondering on what receiver to get? What are some of you guys running? I want to spend about $1,000. I play 360, watch TV/ movies and listen to music on my PC. What would be a good receiver?
post #454 of 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueyzfr6 View Post

I'm looking into getting a the 7.1 MTS and I was wondering on what receiver to get? What are some of you guys running? I want to spend about $1,000. I play 360, watch TV/ movies and listen to music on my PC. What would be a good receiver?

A receiver that plays well with a 6 and less ohms. I have an Onkyo 805 and have had no problems.
post #455 of 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamageMcRamage View Post

A receiver that plays well with a 6 and less ohms. I have an Onkyo 805 and have had no problems.


I was thinkin the Onkyo 706 or 806. But what I've been readin, I probably should go with the 805.
post #456 of 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueyzfr6 View Post

I was thinkin the Onkyo 706 or 806. But what I've been readin, I probably should go with the 805.

The MTS's impedance dips down into the 4 ohm range. With a budget of $1k, I would take a look at the very least, the Onkyo 876. The 876 and 906 have beefier power supplies to handle low impedance loads and transients. The MTS's deserve the best amplification one can afford.
post #457 of 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearchan View Post

The MTS's impedance dips down into the 4 ohm range. With a budget of $1k, I would take a look at the very least, the Onkyo 876. The 876 and 906 have beefier power supplies to handle low impedance loads and transients. The MTS's deserve the best amplification one can afford.

How well will a Denon 3808 work with them?
I still haven't received a shipping notification for mine so hopefully I'll receive something this week.
post #458 of 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

How well will a Denon 3808 work with them?
I still haven't received a shipping notification for mine so hopefully I'll receive something this week.

Denon's website claims that the 3808 is a high current low impedance design. That receiver was on my list, I don't think you'll have any problems.
post #459 of 635
I second the Onkyo 805. I have full size 7.1 MTS set up and the combo with the 805 is great.
post #460 of 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Solid View Post

I second the Onkyo 805. I have full size 7.1 MTS set up and the combo with the 805 is great.

Yup. Nice, clean, powerful sound. The 805 will do great in a small-medium room. If you have a giant room, I might then suggest an external amp for the front 2 or 3 channels.
post #461 of 635
How big are the actual shipping boxes the speakers come in? I see they range between 20 pounds and 80 pounds from the UPS tracking info. my packages are being dropped off at a Mailbox place I use to accept packages for me. If I had known it would be delivered on Friday I could have had it delivered at home but there was no way to know this in advance.
Anyway, are the boxes small enough to put in a car using the back flip down seat(and I would make multiple trips), or is it probably best for me to just rent a van and a dolly from UHaul?
post #462 of 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

How big are the actual shipping boxes the speakers come in? I see they range between 20 pounds and 80 pounds from the UPS tracking info. my packages are being dropped off at a Mailbox place I use to accept packages for me. If I had known it would be delivered on Friday I could have had it delivered at home but there was no way to know this in advance.
Anyway, are the boxes small enough to put in a car using the back flip down seat(and I would make multiple trips), or is it probably best for me to just rent a van and a dolly from UHaul?

That is questionable..... I can fit the 4 boxes I got in the back of my 2 door Tahoe. That is the 2 towers, 1 center channel, and the box for the 2 bookshelves.

The Tower boxes are a little better then 4ft tall and heavy.
The other 2 boxes are pretty big as well.... Not sure they would fit in a small hatchback all together, with multiple trips, I don't think it would be a problem...

Hope you enjoy your new HT setup.... should be awesome...
post #463 of 635
So no problem laying the boxes on their sides?
post #464 of 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

So no problem laying the boxes on their sides?

Shouldn't be, they are packaged pretty well. A word of caution, though. I had a replacement speaker shipped (dinged tweeter on the first one) to me and I was very careful opening up the new box. I put my hand in to grab hold of the speaker and I felt something mushy on my fingertip. I knew immediately that it was the tweeter. Apparently, the magnetic grill had slipped out of position during transport, it was at the bottom of the speaker, so I thought I had my hand on the bottom where it would be safe to get a grip. My heart sank. I took the speaker out thinking I was going to have another dinged tweeter. Luckily it was just fine. Long story short, be careful. The MTS tower speakers are fairly heavy, just so you know. Good luck, and happy listening.
post #465 of 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamageMcRamage View Post

Shouldn't be, they are packaged pretty well. A word of caution, though. I had a replacement speaker shipped (dinged tweeter on the first one) to me and I was very careful opening up the new box. I put my hand in to grab hold of the speaker and I felt something mushy on my fingertip. I knew immediately that it was the tweeter. Apparently, the magnetic grill had slipped out of position during transport, it was at the bottom of the speaker, so I thought I had my hand on the bottom where it would be safe to get a grip. My heart sank. I took the speaker out thinking I was going to have another dinged tweeter. Luckily it was just fine. Long story short, be careful. The MTS tower speakers are fairly heavy, just so you know. Good luck, and happy listening.

Thanks!
post #466 of 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

How well will a Denon 3808 work with them?
I still haven't received a shipping notification for mine so hopefully I'll receive something this week.

I called SVS and talked to a rep there and that's what he was runnin... the 3808
post #467 of 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueyzfr6 View Post

I called SVS and talked to a rep there and that's what he was runnin... the 3808

Funny, I got my 3808 last Friday (Jan. 2).....still waiting on the MTS-01 5.1
set-up I ordered Dec. 23rd.
Supposedly they (SVS) are waiting on cross-overs for the towers...I can't wait.
post #468 of 635
I ordered my M series seven speaker system on the 19th. It arrived this past Friday.
I must have just made it before they ran out of crossovers.
Boy they sure are bigger than I thought.
post #469 of 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I ordered my M series seven speaker system on the 19th. It arrived this past Friday.
I must have just made it before they ran out of crossovers.
Boy they sure are bigger than I thought.

Congrats, let us know what you think of them, details and pics are always welcome.
post #470 of 635
I don't recall if I linked to these before, but I took a number of pictures when mine first arrived: http://picasaweb.google.com/robbroy/MTS_Arrival#.

They might give some of you who are waiting an idea of what you're in for.

-Robb
post #471 of 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbroy View Post

I don't recall if I linked to these before, but I took a number of pictures when mine first arrived: http://picasaweb.google.com/robbroy/MTS_Arrival#.

They might give some of you who are waiting an idea of what you're in for.

-Robb

VERY nice.....you sure lucked out with the center speaker fitting so well in the TV stand......I am not so lucky, mine is not going to fit so I will have to find some kind of mount off the wall,...
post #472 of 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam McFarland View Post

VERY nice.....you sure lucked out with the center speaker fitting so well in the TV stand......I am not so lucky, mine is not going to fit so I will have ti find some kind of mount off the wall...

+1. Omnimount screwed me by having the wrong dimensins on their product. Instead of 10.75 inches of clearance for the center speaker it's only 9.75 inches.
It sucks that my center speaker is only a quarter inch too high.

OF course after I pointed out their mistake they changed their website.

I'll need to take some pictures of my speakers sometime.
post #473 of 635
The center speaker is a behemoth, but I solved the problem with a center channel speaker stand pushed up against my tv stand. Not the most decorative looking solution, but it looks ok and works out great.
post #474 of 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam McFarland View Post

VERY nice.....you sure lucked out with the center speaker fitting so well in the TV stand......I am not so lucky, mine is not going to fit so I will have to find some kind of mount off the wall,...

For once in my life, luck had nothing to do with it (I mean, really, how did my ugly butt self marry such a hot woman?). I found out the dimensions of the center channel, and built the stand around that. While some of my equipment has changed (obviously the center, and I also use a 3808 as a prepro now) you can see it's no accident how well it holds all my gear:

With the front panel door on: http://www.robbroy.net/images/HT/DoorOnCloseSmall.JPG

With the front panel off: http://www.robbroy.net/images/HT/DoorOffCloseSmall.JPG

The one thing that bums me out about it is that had I seen the color of the rosenut in person, I would have put on a third coat of stain.

-Robb
post #475 of 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamageMcRamage View Post

The center speaker is a behemoth, but I solved the problem with a center channel speaker stand pushed up against my tv stand. Not the most decorative looking solution, but it looks ok and works out great.

Do you have a link for the stand you got? I need to get something that I can use until I'm able to get some glass made for my stand.
post #476 of 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbroy View Post

For once in my life, luck had nothing to do with it (I mean, really, how did my ugly butt self marry such a hot woman?). I found out the dimensions of the center channel, and built the stand around that. While some of my equipment has changed (obviously the center, and I also use a 3808 as a prepro now) you can see it's no accident how well it holds all my gear:

With the front panel door on: http://www.robbroy.net/images/HT/DoorOnCloseSmall.JPG

With the front panel off: http://www.robbroy.net/images/HT/DoorOffCloseSmall.JPG

The one thing that bums me out about it is that had I seen the color of the rosenut in person, I would have put on a third coat of stain.

-Robb

Totally awesome!!
And I was just fixing to ask you where you bought your stand...
post #477 of 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Do you have a link for the stand you got? I need to get something that I can use until I'm able to get some glass made for my stand.

Sure.

racksandstands.com

standsandmounts.com

I have the Wood Technology CC-18 center channel speaker stand. Both sites have them in 12", 18", or 28" heights. The top plates are angled up so the tweeter is aimed up to your ear. Works great, and you may just decide to keep it instead of altering you tv stand. Good luck.

http://www.racksandstands.com/Wood-T...18-WT0256.html
post #478 of 635
I received two different emails stating my speakers were in-route.
Allthe surrounds were on one email & the sub was on another & is sent through a whole different company....is this typical & can I expect them to arrive on the same day??

Also, I ordered the rear speaker wall mounts but they dont mention them being sent or even an extra box they would be in.

Anybody else order the rear mounts & have them arrive in a box with the speakers??
post #479 of 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamageMcRamage View Post

Sure.

racksandstands.com

standsandmounts.com

I have the Wood Technology CC-18 center channel speaker stand. Both sites have them in 12", 18", or 28" heights. The top plates are angled up so the tweeter is aimed up to your ear. Works great, and you may just decide to keep it instead of altering you tv stand. Good luck.

http://www.racksandstands.com/Wood-T...18-WT0256.html

Thanks
post #480 of 635
I have a question about the speaker stands that SVS has for the surround speakers. I bought two pairs for my four surround channels and they look fine.
I'm just a little concerned that the speaker stands say the max speaker weight for the stands is 25lbs. But the bookshelf speakers are 27lbs.
Has anyone had any problems with these stands since they are supporting more weight than the specs say they are designed for?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › SVS MTS Family