or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › The OFFICIAL JBL Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The OFFICIAL JBL Owners Thread - Page 5

post #121 of 15018
Sooner,

I saw the E100CH (factory refurb) here...

http://www.harmanaudio.com/search_br...JBL&market=HOM
post #122 of 15018
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLKstudios View Post

Sooner,

I saw the E100CH (factory refurb) here...

http://www.harmanaudio.com/search_br...JBL&market=HOM

Yeah MLK, I caught that too. . .I wanted to see about shipping charges and when I added them to the cart, I noticed I couldn't order any more than one. I didn't have that problem when I was testing other products. I can only assume they have one in stock. Thank you for looking though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2 View Post

This site has the E90 and other Northridge series speakers for sale:

http://www.garrett-smarthome.com/pro...?prod=JBE90%A0

Good listening, Bill

Thanks Bill, I caught this site on a Google search and based on their reseller ratings and Authorize.net certification (for security) I may think about this. I am a little skeptical that they actually have these in stock so I'll shoot off an e-mail. While I agree with Smarty-Pants about the prices, Harman Direct has refurbished E80s in stock for nearly the same price and want more for shipping (Garrett shipping is a paltry $15). Beggars can't be choosers, right!?

I'll let everyone know what they say in case there are others in the same boat I'm in.

Thanks again,
Josh
post #123 of 15018
Here is another site and they have free shipping:

http://www.jr.com/JRSectionView.proc...W.campaignname

Bill
post #124 of 15018
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2 View Post

Here is another site and they have free shipping:

http://www.jr.com/JRSectionView.proc...W.campaignname

Bill

I buy a lot of things from J&R and recommend them too, but he is looking for discontinued Northridge speakers in a cherry finish (E80CH to be precise) and they have become hard to find.
post #125 of 15018
Grrrr I saved up some money to buy my first L series speaker, the LC2 center, and the ebay store that had great prices doenst have it listed anymore

Anyone know of any places to get them now at really cheap prices?
post #126 of 15018
ebay has a set of Cherry E90's for bid, and current bid is $89. Item expires in 2 hours 47 minutes:

Item number: 140139421662

Bill
post #127 of 15018
Hopefully he's found it... BTW, Auctionsniper.com* is your friend if you really want them.

Hum, and they arnt even cherry, they are freken Beech and one of the drivers is dented. But the place selling them is only 5 minutes away from here.... Hum... No shipping, E90's, GAH!

Cant.... Spend.... Money!

Though, seeing as you live in Atlanta, it would only cost you something like $24 to drive up and pick the things up....
post #128 of 15018
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2 View Post

ebay has a set of Cherry E90's for bid, and current bid is $89. Item expires in 2 hours 47 minutes:

Item number: 140139421662

Bill

FYI, those do not look like the cherry speakers that I have. They look more like beech.
post #129 of 15018
Center - S Center II
Mains - S38II CH
Surrounds - S26II CH
Sub - Custom built 10"

Patio speakers - S28 II

Gary
post #130 of 15018
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamgs View Post

Center - S Center II
Mains - S38II CH
Surrounds - S26II CH
Sub - Custom built 10"

Patio speakers - S28 II

Gary

Nice setup. Welcome to AVS
post #131 of 15018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

FYI, those do not look like the cherry speakers that I have. They look more like beech.

Thanks everyone, but I noticed those a day or so ago and they definitely are beech (E90BE), not cherry. Hopefully the winning bidder notices this or asked the seller in advance. Also, I heard back from Garrett's Smart Electronics. . .they do not have the E90/E80 in stock and, as we already know, cannot order any more because they have been discontinued. They just haven't updated their online listings yet. Ugh!

Thanks again,
Josh
post #132 of 15018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avliner View Post

... I have a similar problem with one E-50, as the midrange is not playing at all. I swapped the mids and both are ok, so I tought it could be the xo network though. I'll remove the jumpers and put a wire instead; maybe I'll be the lucky one, who knows?? Shall keep you posted on that. Regards, Chuck

Unfortunately the problem was on a blown resistor. Fortunately I have a friend who's an electronic tech. and he just charged $ 9 for fixing the problem.
Another happy ending story though
post #133 of 15018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avliner View Post

Unfortunately the problem was on a blown resistor. Fortunately I have a friend who's an electronic tech. and he just charged $ 9 for fixing the problem.
Another happy ending story though

Even if you did have to replace the whole crossover network, it still would have been fairly cheap:

351422-001 Crossover Network $25.20
post #134 of 15018
Hey guys, newbie here with some questions.

So I'm planning to get the JBL Balboa series (center and 30 for now) and I'm just wondering if my current old receiver (handed down to me) Yamaha rx-v595 is going to be enough to drive these speakers. I also have a JBL sub (PSW-1000) that I'm planning to keep.

Thanks in advance.
post #135 of 15018
Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptz View Post

Hey guys, newbie here with some questions.

So I'm planning to get the JBL Balboa series (center and 30 for now) and I'm just wondering if my current old receiver (handed down to me) Yamaha rx-v595 is going to be enough to drive these speakers. I also have a JBL sub (PSW-1000) that I'm planning to keep.

Thanks in advance.

Your Yammie should drive the Balboa's just fine. Personally, I'd ditch that sub for a 6-pack, or whatever you can get for it, and get something in the neighborhood of an Hsu or SVS. If you need to go inexpensive, a used Energy or older Velodyne would be a huge improvement, as well. It seems the one thing JBL can't do well in speakers is subwoofers....and I don't know why. Their theater subs are okay, but expensive and range limited.
post #136 of 15018
+1 JBL subs aren't their forte. Ill be getting an SVS sub when i finish my setup.
post #137 of 15018
Yeah, JBL SW's aren't their forte indeed.
If I recall correctly, someone said that their SW's are good for a firewood
post #138 of 15018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avliner View Post

Yeah, JBL SW's aren't their forte indeed.
If I recall correctly, someone said that their SW's are good for a firewood

LOL, I doubt they'd even do a good job of burning.

I had an S120Pll and couldn't wait to get rid of it. It was a 450 watt fizzle-failure as subs go. The PS series might make good firewood, but I have no experience burning those.

post #139 of 15018
I checked on fleabay this morning...there are several quite lovely Performance Series speakers up for auction.
post #140 of 15018
Woohoo my new pair of Studio L820's are scheduled for Tuesday delivery according to UPS, cant wait!
post #141 of 15018
The 14" driver (LE14H-3) in the 400W PS1400 subwoofer is one of the best LF drivers anywhere. Its ancestor was used in the L250 and 250Ti classic speakers, to this day revered by many as one of the great speaker series of all time.

It depends on what you want, though. The PS1400 is musical, agile, clean, articulate, powerful, and fast. It is not, however, boomy, thumpy, or slappy.

It's quite a different breed than JBL's standard subs, which truly are nothing to write home about. In fact, I wouldn't get any JBL sub 12" or smaller, with the exception of the 1000W HTPS400, which uses a rubber surround, rigid 12" Aluminum cone ($700 just for the driver) design in a sealed (not ported) enclosure. It's a real shaker and mover, but again, without being boomy, thumpy, or slappy. Of course, it costs two grand, so most people would rather pay less money for an almost as good sub from a well-known manufacturer like Hsu, SVS, or Velodyne.

Of course, both JBL enclosures will burn just fine, though they'll emit toxic fumes, and if they're operating when you try to light them, they'll blow out the match.
post #142 of 15018
I can't imagine this one would sound too bad...

http://www.performanceaudio.com/cgi/...oducts_id=1259
post #143 of 15018
Quote:
Originally Posted by filecat13 View Post

It's quite a different breed than JBL's standard subs, which truly are nothing to write home about. In fact, I wouldn't get any JBL sub 12" or smaller, with the exception of the 1000W HTPS400, which uses a rubber surround, rigid 12" Aluminum cone ($700 just for the driver) design in a sealed (not ported) enclosure. It's a real shaker and mover, but again, without being boomy, thumpy, or slappy. Of course, it costs two grand, so most people would rather pay less money for an almost as good sub from a well-known manufacturer like Hsu, SVS, or Velodyne.

filecat13,

This is the sub that matches the speakers I will own soon (HT4 and HT5). But it doesn't have the low frequency rating that the SVS or Hsu's have.

I was thinking of going with the SVS 16-46 PCi for the low 16 Hz ability (and of course the lower cost). Any insights to this decision would be appreciated.

Matthew
post #144 of 15018
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFyre22 View Post

Woohoo my new pair of Studio L820's are scheduled for Tuesday delivery according to UPS, cant wait!

Comments, photos & reviews most welcome
post #145 of 15018
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLKstudios View Post

I can't imagine this one would sound too bad...

http://www.performanceaudio.com/cgi/...oducts_id=1259


That's the one I'm putting in a 100 seat theater install I'm doing. I don't think you'd want one in your living room.
post #146 of 15018
Would this be too much for a 3500 sf space..?

http://www.performanceaudio.com/cgi/...oducts_id=1258
post #147 of 15018
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLKstudios View Post

Would this be too much for a 3500 sf space..?

http://www.performanceaudio.com/cgi/...oducts_id=1258


I think my question would be, what are you trying to accomplish? Are you in a home environment? For the cost of the sub, plus the cost of an amp to drive it, I think you'll probably be happier with something high-end from SVS or JL.
post #148 of 15018
Thanks eugovector for your reply.

Makes me think I'll stick with a powered sub. Your insight is much appreciated.

BTW the above should have read cubic feet not square feet (sf).
post #149 of 15018
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLKstudios View Post

BTW the above should have read cubic feet not square feet (sf).

I figured.
post #150 of 15018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy112 View Post

Your welcome filecat! Gotta have a place for the JBL's! my vintage L80t3's made awesome front speakers, and that was even before home theater was out!

I am glad to see that there are JBL fans out there, I didnt know if there were or not, most of what I saw was a few post here or there, this thread has brought us all together!

Most of us JBL fanatics are over on the Lansing Heritage site.
Filecat13 and myself are the ones that talk the most about the Performance Series, as we both have PS HT setups.

Before I got the PS last year I had built up a 25 year old stereo L212/B212 system into a 7.2 system, buying another complete sat/sub system and custom built 3 L212s for the front. The main L/R are mirror imaged and biased crossover networks.

The mirrored pair along with two 12" subs, are now connected to vintage H/K Citation 11 preamp and Citation 19 power amp, fed by a '79 Yamaha turntable. The turntable will soon be replaced by a VPI Scoutmaster Signature turntable and whatever cartridge I decide to get for it.

Two of the other L212s are still being used for the back ht channels and the original pair are mounted on the wall to sides of this HDTV/computer screen, with a sub also connected.

For any of you thinking about getting the Studio L series and in particular, the L890s, they are a very good system. I gave a pair of 890s to my daughter, when she moved into her house, she thinks they're great.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › The OFFICIAL JBL Owners Thread