or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › The OFFICIAL JBL Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The OFFICIAL JBL Owners Thread - Page 446

post #13351 of 15040
Hi everybody, first of all thanks for the answers and for moving the thread where it belongs.

Those amplifiers are very hard to get in Europe, this is not the best place to buy amplifiers.....

Right now, in my budget I have two possibilities:

Anthem MCA-50 5*225W (2.000 US$)
Emotiva XPA5 and after a while to get the XPA2. (999 US$).

I have had Emotiva before and never had an issue, but this speakers are different animals as my previous speaker were Proac Response D35.

Both products delivered to Spain and taxes included.

These are the ones that I can buy in Europe, but I also can buy from the States if I get a good price on a store, I bought a lot of sets in the States and I never had an issue.

I will keep looking....

Regarding the Adcom I do not know if you can biamp with them, the Onkyo PR SC5508 is my processor and allows me to biamp, although funny thing, yesterday the processor does not send any signal any of the front speakers....

Best regards,
post #13352 of 15040
Regardless of whether you do a bi-amp, the Adcom should deliver a good deal more power per channel with only 2 channels in use.
post #13353 of 15040
Quote:
Originally Posted by filecat13 View Post

Javier
http://outlawaudio.com/products/amps.html
http://ati-amp.com/home.php
I use a pair of ATI 2003 amps to power my K2 S9900s, and they do a remarkable job. The K2s are more efficient than the 1400 Arrays, but the ATI amps are unbelievably robust.
Some folks like Parasound Halo amps with higher end JBLs. I've got the Parasound P7 analog preamp paired with the ATIs, but couldn't justify the Parasound amplifier's higher cost over the ATI.

$44,000 worth of a pair of speakers does not warrant a pair of Parasound JC1??? I would not run anything less.
The ATI maybe quite good, but nothing like a high quality pair of mono blocks.
post #13354 of 15040
It seems a little bit odd to spend that kind of money in a "car" and not having money for gas.... smile.gif

Nevertheless I did not spend that much money, I got them used but in mint conditions. Crisis in Europe is being tough to everyone and there are very good deals around.

The tests that I ran with the speakers have been great so far, but still have the same issue with the pre...

I may have the chance to buy an used denon avc-a1xv‏, it is 4 years old and does not have some new features, but I would get a good amplifier... with the possibility to biamp the 3 frontal speakers..

Thanks !!
post #13355 of 15040
Quote:
Originally Posted by javierschmidt View Post

It seems a little bit odd to spend that kind of money in a "car" and not having money for gas.... smile.gif
Nevertheless I did not spend that much money, I got them used but in mint conditions. Crisis in Europe is being tough to everyone and there are very good deals around.
The tests that I ran with the speakers have been great so far, but still have the same issue with the pre...
I may have the chance to buy an used denon avc-a1xv‏, it is 4 years old and does not have some new features, but I would get a good amplifier... with the possibility to biamp the 3 frontal speakers..
Thanks !!

I'd say that unless you're going all out with a dedicated active crossover, skip the bi-amp and go for more power.
post #13356 of 15040
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DHD View Post

$44,000 worth of a pair of speakers does not warrant a pair of Parasound JC1??? I would not run anything less.
The ATI maybe quite good, but nothing like a high quality pair of mono blocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by javierschmidt View Post

It seems a little bit odd to spend that kind of money in a "car" and not having money for gas..

John, come down to sea level and get some oxygen. You might be a little light-headed. I know you love being able to say you own a Parasound amp, but it's not the perfect choice just because you have one.

Price is not an issue, neither is brand. What is an issue is power, bandwidth, noise level, flexibility, damping, and reserves. The ATIs I bought have all that in spades. The JC1 is a fine amp, but I don't want one, and I surely won't buy a pair just for you;)

Javier, to modify your comment, the "gas" in this car is electricity, and I've got plenty of that with my own solar array delivered through a whole house filter and dedicated 20 Amp circuits. The amp is the engine, and it requires unrestricted fuel flow to deliver full power. Both amps get plenty of power. I know there are some magical formulas and brands that some folks favor. I favor results.

My ATI "engines" don't have chrome valve covers or custom badges like a Pass, JC1, or McIntosh, but they'll run with them all day long and bring home the trophy at the end of the day. smile.gif
Edited by filecat13 - 12/17/12 at 9:14am
post #13357 of 15040
Well, I will add the ATI to the list, which is very short one right now. As it seems nobody recommends the Emotiva or the Anthem for the new system.

I have checked Audiogon and there quite some ATI amplifiers, to a very decent price, let´s see what happens there.

I have previously owned Parasound products, the Halo line, nice products, but to that price I almost can buy the Lexicon ZX7, which I think it could be a good match for the speakers.

I do not want to hurry making a decision, for once in many years I plan to keep this speakers for a long time, so I thank all the comments regarding brands that I do not know that well.

On this side of the pond we do not get that many american amps, just shipping of one of these products cost 300 US$, plus 30% taxes....

One of the things we have to keep in mind is that the processor is the Onkyo PR SC5508, and this has to work with the amp

Thanks everybody !

PD: Years ago I owned for 6 months a JBL Array System, and I must tell you that they improved a lot over the years, there is a huge difference between this set and the old one.
Edited by javierschmidt - 12/17/12 at 2:49pm
post #13358 of 15040
Quote:
Originally Posted by javierschmidt View Post

Well, I will add the ATI to the list, which is very short one right now. As it seems nobody recommends the Emotiva or the Anthem for the new system.
I have checked Audiogon and there quite some ATI amplifiers, to a very decent price, let´s see what happens there.
I have previously owned Parasound products, the Halo line, nice products, but to that price I almost can buy the Lexicon ZX7, which I think it could be a good match for the speakers.
I do not want to hurry making a decision, for once in many years I plan to keep this speakers for a long time, so I thank all the comments regarding brands that I do not know that well.
On this side of the pond we do not get that many american amps, just shipping of one of these products cost 300 US$, plus 30% taxes....
One of the things we have to keep in mind is that the processor is the Onkyo PR SC5508, and this has to work with the amp
Thanks everybody !
PD: Years ago I owned for 6 months a JBL Array System, and I must tell you that they improved a lot over the years, there is a huge difference between this set and the old one.

I'll recommend Emotiva. I have two powering my Performance Series Speakers. An XPA-2 for the fronts & XPA-3 for the center & surrounds. Plenty of head room and no hiss or hums. I've had them for about three years and no problems so far.
post #13359 of 15040
Another possibility would be the Onkyo 5501, Good price in Europe and a perfect match for my receiver (onkyo pr sc5508).

Thanks
post #13360 of 15040
Quote:
Originally Posted by javierschmidt View Post

Well, I will add the ATI to the list, which is very short one right now. As it seems nobody recommends the Emotiva or the Anthem for the new system.
I have checked Audiogon and there quite some ATI amplifiers, to a very decent price, let´s see what happens there.
I have previously owned Parasound products, the Halo line, nice products, but to that price I almost can buy the Lexicon ZX7, which I think it could be a good match for the speakers.
.

IMHO, if you're watching the budget closely, its better to choose more power over a "high end" amp. More power always wins unless the amp is really crap, and none of the options mentioned would be considered crap. So get whatever you can find with the most power. Just be sure that a multichannel amp is being rated honestly, that is - actual output per channel with all channels driven. Pretty much any of the popular choices will be limited by the amount of current that can be extracted from the average 15 amp AC line. But that's plenty.
post #13361 of 15040
I was able to hear a DIY project with Hypex 400W class D, it is very good, In the past I have made some DIY and the results were always good. It fits in the budget as well, so it is another contestant.

So far, within budget:

1) Emotiva XPA 5 (by far the cheapest): 1K
2) Anthem MC50: 1.7K
3) Onkyo PA-MC5501 : 1,7K. It fist in the budget and matches my SSP
4) Hypex Class D DIY 2*400W + 3*180W: Around 1.3K.

Remember, this is Europe, I know there are very good amps over there, but if they get here usually is 60% more expensive.....
post #13362 of 15040
So JBL tells me they don't sell parts and Parts express tells me they don't carry the filter capacitors of an L8400 anymore. Any other ideas?
post #13363 of 15040
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-4435-STUDIO-MONITOR-8-OHMS-A-PAIR-OF-SPEAKERS-/300647500070?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item45fffcc926

Has anyone on here ever listened to a set of these and if so leave feedback.I am thinking of getting Studio Monitors and these things are beasts to say the least.I have a 5:1 set-up now but could use these as the front mains for 2 channel listening.I have an Emotiva XPA-2 driving my front mains now but I wonder would I need more power to make these come to life.Maybe a pair of XPA-1.
post #13364 of 15040
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamedog44 View Post

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-4435-STUDIO-MONITOR-8-OHMS-A-PAIR-OF-SPEAKERS-/300647500070?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item45fffcc926
Has anyone on here ever listened to a set of these and if so leave feedback.I am thinking of getting Studio Monitors and these things are beasts to say the least.I have a 5:1 set-up now but could use these as the front mains for 2 channel listening.I have an Emotiva XPA-2 driving my front mains now but I wonder would I need more power to make these come to life.Maybe a pair of XPA-1.

these are more or less the holy grail of studio monitors. See also 4425 and 4430 (matching designs). You'll find a lot of info on the studio monitors at The Lansing Heritage forum.

Suffice it to say that the big horn loaded monitors are a pretty unique beast. If you have an opportunity to hear any of those type before buying it would be good to do. That said, they will blow your hair back, and no amount of power is too much. That listing is for an unusually pristine pair, priced accordingly. Usually you see these pretty beat up and often with an assortment of holes and brackets for flying installations. Those are designed for bi-amp capability also, BTW.

Might be good to ponder what your alternatives are in the $3K price range, as it would include things like the 250ti and a variety of designs meant for home use in smaller rooms. Putting a 4435 in a too-small or acoustically unfriendly room could be a disaster.

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/443035.pdf



http://www.jblpro.com/pub/recording/4425.pdf


Edited by rdgrimes - 12/19/12 at 12:55pm
post #13365 of 15040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_of_Sevens View Post

So JBL tells me they don't sell parts and Parts express tells me they don't carry the filter capacitors of an L8400 anymore. Any other ideas?

Google the part numbers. JBL bought them from somewhere.
post #13366 of 15040
What value are the caps, Newark Electronics sells 2 at a time.
post #13367 of 15040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_of_Sevens View Post

Got word back on my sub. Apparently, the amp was overheating and it killed a couple transistors and capacitors. These are not the sort of capacitors you can get at Radio Shack. Any good options besides buying from JBL?

If any transistors and caps blew you can bet you will need to replace a resistor or 2 also.
post #13368 of 15040
OK

I know these have major differences in driver size… but I’m looking to get either 2 pairs of ES10 or 1 pair of es10 and L820 for the fronts…

I thought the ES10 are supposed to be better” built and have better sound? BUT are the L820 just as good or should I stick with the higher brand model of the ES line?

My main concern is voice or dialogue clarity while watching TV/movies…
it at times gets over powered during action or louder transitions.
I now have two Polk Studio 60’s and a CS1 center —
and two Bose 161 rears…


room is about 14x20 and I have a Denon 890 AVR

I would also buy the ES10” sub


thanks
post #13369 of 15040
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnner1999 View Post

OK
I know these have major differences in driver size… but I’m looking to get either 2 pairs of ES10 or 1 pair of es10 and L820 for the fronts…
I thought the ES10 are supposed to be better” built and have better sound? BUT are the L820 just as good or should I stick with the higher brand model of the ES line?
My main concern is voice or dialogue clarity while watching TV/movies…
it at times gets over powered during action or louder transitions.
I now have two Polk Studio 60’s and a CS1 center —
and two Bose 161 rears…
room is about 14x20 and I have a Denon 890 AVR
I would also buy the ES10” sub
thanks

No one has ever said the ES series is better than the Studio L series. imo, none of the JBL series that have come out after the Studio L are better.
So do go with the L820 for mains and LC2, then if you want the ES10 for surrounds. But getting L810, L830, L820 for surrounds would be better.
post #13370 of 15040
Interesting - I guess I just jumped to that since the ES line is newer...

Does the L820 and L810 look more ummm "high end" in real life? In the pictures they look a tad too mass produced looking.

I'd have to pass on the wall mounted center, I see they have a desk model but lacks the smaller mid driver. Should I just skip the center all together and use "phantom" like center?

And the L series is good, rather better than good for HT duty?


Thanks for the info.


Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DHD View Post

No one has ever said the ES series is better than the Studio L series. imo, none of the JBL series that have come out after the Studio L are better.
So do go with the L820 for mains and LC2, then if you want the ES10 for surrounds. But getting L810, L830, L820 for surrounds would be better.
post #13371 of 15040
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnner1999 View Post

Interesting - I guess I just jumped to that since the ES line is newer...
Does the L820 and L810 look more ummm "high end" in real life? In the pictures they look a tad too mass produced looking.
I'd have to pass on the wall mounted center, I see they have a desk model but lacks the smaller mid driver. Should I just skip the center all together and use "phantom" like center?
And the L series is good, rather better than good for HT duty?
Thanks for the info.
First, the LC2 does not have to be wall mounted, it is basically a L820 with an extra 6" driver. The L820, LC2 are much bigger than they look online. Some prefer the L830, with its port design, but lacks a true midrange driver.
post #13372 of 15040
Posted in speaker section but was advised to try here as well.

Got 5.1 of JBL Nightlife (so NL300 NL200 NL100 and NL150 sub) few days ago and couldn't find much info or review about these. (Paired up with Denon AVR2313CI)

Any experiences with these speakers would be appreciated (paid about 1350 tax in) but have 30 days for returns just in case, still waiting for boxing day for possible change of set up.
post #13373 of 15040
is JBL a good brand? i am a first timer here., and planning to get a JBL speakers someday. what should i expect from JBL products?
post #13374 of 15040
If anybody's been looking for replacement amps for their S412P/S412PII's your prayers may have just been answered smile.gif

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-s412p-subwoofer-amp-for-surrond-sound-/200867911557?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item2ec4a91785
post #13375 of 15040
Hi From Italy.

Please let me present to you mine
SASADF THEATER 2 ®
"The International presentation"



(All the files are available in QSXGA, 2560 x 1700 clicking below the image)
















































Hope You'll appreciate it.
Best Regards from an Italian JBL Addicted Fan
SasaDF
post #13376 of 15040
SasaDF,
Very nice setup with the JBL TiK and Parasound amps. A very good combination.
The only problem I would have is the two horizontally placed Ti1k. Which causes comb filtering, noticeable when moving L/R. In the past I have used two centers, one below the screen and one above, which works quite well.
post #13377 of 15040
Yes I know it, but I use mine lineup in a central position. The other people doesn't understand the difference between an mp3 from an 192/24 flac, so for those ones the comb filtering is an inexistent issue ^_^

Otherwise with two center Ti1k, the efficiency between the Ti6k (91db about) and the Ti1k(87db about) center is equalized with the 3db gain obtained with the two center channels.
I know that it would be better with one down and another one above the screen, but the selected position are bound from the starting project...
So I like it also in this configuration.

The really Issue I've noticed is the two Yamaha Subs.
it would be necessary a Velodyne Dd12, but for me, at this time it's too much expansive..rolleyes.gif


If you are you interested in the soundproofing work of this Living room
you can see the many photos taken and posted at this link below.

http://www.avmagazine.it/forum/79-installazioni-audio-amp-ht/220487-sasadf-theater-2

Thanks for your compliment cool.gif

SasaDF
post #13378 of 15040
Hi all, I currently have L820 and LC2 in front and Paradigm ADP-390 as rears, my room is tiny but I´m thinking of adding another set of speakers, so what is best:

- Buy L890 or L880 towers, move the Paradigms to surrounds and the L820 as rear surrounds
- Buy another set of L820 and use them as front wide or front height

Open to opinions.

If necesary I will take pictures
post #13379 of 15040
Quote:
Originally Posted by juanchibiris View Post

Hi all, I currently have L820 and LC2 in front and Paradigm ADP-390 as rears, my room is tiny but I´m thinking of adding another set of speakers, so what is best:
- Buy L890 or L880 towers, move the Paradigms to surrounds and the L820 as rear surrounds
- Buy another set of L820 and use them as front wide or front height
Open to opinions.
If necesary I will take pictures

It's arguable whether 7.1 is appropriate in a "tiny" room, probably not. Likewise in a tiny room, either the L890 or L880 could be too much. Consider buying a couple more L820 and retire the ADP-390s. And if you don't already have one, a good sub might be #1 on the list.
post #13380 of 15040
Hi All,

Noticed the respected EC35 center is on harman for $169

http://www.harmanaudio.com/Search_Browse/product_detail.asp?urlMaterialNumber=NP35&status=

for a new unit this is a great price
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › The OFFICIAL JBL Owners Thread