or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › The OFFICIAL JBL Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The OFFICIAL JBL Owners Thread - Page 456

post #13651 of 15041
Quote:
Originally Posted by filecat13 View Post

You and I are end users. Sure, we may tinker with stuff, but we're not creators of great loudspeakers. When we buy something really good, we want to keep it, at least until there is something better available because we can't really do more than tweak what we've got.

A creator on the other hand has to move out the old to create the new. Even being very fond of the thing created, it has to make room so a new creation can begin.

It would be a sad day for all of us, including the creator, if one day the thought came, "This is good enough. There's nothing left for me to do."

Well, one can still keep a set of speakers one designed, and then design the next thing. Its not mutually exclusive.
Look at Sidney Harman, it was said that when he died a few years back that the speakers he had in his home were the 250Ti.
Even though both JBL and Revel had models to surpass the 250s. Here was a man who could have any speaker his companies made.
post #13652 of 15041
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoST View Post

I checked out the L890's today, I couldn't believe the bass these speakers produce, I was searching the entire area to see if the salesman included a sub for the demo (I asked him not to enable any subs) and couldn't find any on. The mids and highs were nice and crisp without being harsh, I think I'm going to scoop them up this weekend then order the LC2. There is a big difference between the E90 and L890, I guess there is going to be a set of E90's and 1 EC35 for sale soon.

That is just what I thought when I first heard the L890s back in '06. And I also thought the LC2, L820 were the best bookshelf speakers JBL had ever made.
By comparison, I was never much impressed with the N, E, S series when I heard them years ago.
post #13653 of 15041
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoST View Post

I checked out the L890's today, I couldn't believe the bass these speakers produce, I was searching the entire area to see if the salesman included a sub for the demo (I asked him not to enable any subs) and couldn't find any on. The mids and highs were nice and crisp without being harsh, I think I'm going to scoop them up this weekend then order the LC2. There is a big difference between the E90 and L890, I guess there is going to be a set of E90's and 1 EC35 for sale soon.

Very Nice!
You cant go wrong with the L890s and an LC2 combo.
Enjoy!
Looking forward to pics.
post #13654 of 15041
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DHD View Post

Here was a man who could have any speaker his companies made.

Yep, and even though he owned the company, he was still an end user, not a creator.
post #13655 of 15041
Quote:
Originally Posted by VINYLFREAK4 View Post

Very Nice!
You cant go wrong with the L890s and an LC2 combo.
Enjoy!
Looking forward to pics.

Will do, Pics will follow.smile.gif
post #13656 of 15041
Quote:
Originally Posted by filecat13 View Post

Yep, and even though he owned the company, he was still an end user, not a creator.

I knew that reply was coming!smile.gif
While I wait for two albums to download from HDtracks. CSN, Marta Comez
post #13657 of 15041
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DHD View Post

I knew that reply was coming!smile.gif
While I wait for two albums to download from HDtracks. CSN, Marta Comez

Off thread, but how is the Internet there?
post #13658 of 15041
Perusing the Craigslist musical instruments section to drool over the JBL SR47xx speakers I came across a pair of JBL HP520 in like new condition. Never heard of them. Euro design?
post #13659 of 15041
Quote:
Originally Posted by filecat13 View Post

Off thread, but how is the Internet there?
It can get a bit slow at times and other times quite fast. Some days its slower in the evening when everyone is on.
Two days ago it was really slow mid-morning. Then it got better in the afternoon.
post #13660 of 15041
I just picked up a set of JBL Northridge E on craigs a couple weeks ago and thought I would say hello.

Setup Includes:

E80 (x2)

EC25

E10 (x3)

E150P

Paid $180 for all and I also received all of the original booklets.

A couple of grills are broken, but no matter. It really sounds good. Running with an Onkyo TX-NR509 (5.1) and LG 60PA6500.

If anybody has a spare E10 laying around to get me to 7.1 let me know wink.gif

post #13661 of 15041
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtothar View Post

I just picked up a set of JBL Northridge E on craigs a couple weeks ago and thought I would say hello.

Setup Includes:

E80 (x2)

EC25

E10 (x3)

E150P

Paid $180 for all and I also received all of the original booklets.

A couple of grills are broken, but no matter. It really sounds good. Running with an Onkyo TX-NR509 (5.1) and LG 60PA6500.

If anybody has a spare E10 laying around to get me to 7.1 let me know wink.gif

that's an amazing deal..biggrin.gif
post #13662 of 15041
Wow, congratulations! That's a lot of speakers for a very little money.
post #13663 of 15041
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtothar View Post

I just picked up a set of JBL Northridge E on craigs a couple weeks ago and thought I would say hello.

Setup Includes:

E80 (x2)

EC25

E10 (x3)

E150P

Paid $180 for all and I also received all of the original booklets.

A couple of grills are broken, but no matter. It really sounds good. Running with an Onkyo TX-NR509 (5.1) and LG 60PA6500.

If anybody has a spare E10 laying around to get me to 7.1 let me know wink.gif


Congratulations. Great find.
post #13664 of 15041
I have a JBL L830 and a LC1 and I'm curious how a Studio 190 or Studio 180 would sound with a LC1 center and put the L830's as the surrounds. Has anyone heard the Studio 180 or 190 with a LC1?
Edited by sojodave - 2/28/13 at 9:19pm
post #13665 of 15041
Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneertop View Post

that's an amazing deal..biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by filecat13 View Post

Wow, congratulations! That's a lot of speakers for a very little money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ-Rhino View Post

Congratulations. Great find.

Thanks for the kind words guys. I do have a feeling that my AVR is under powered for these speakers. Should I be looking to upgrade to a higher wattage Onkyo or should I start looking at separates? (one thought I have had is an Onkyo or Marantz 7.2 model + Emotiva 5-ch. Thoughts?

OTOH, I live in a small apartment so it is probably overkill already...
post #13666 of 15041
Quote:
Originally Posted by filecat13 View Post

The Performance Series was the most Ti-centric design ever from JBL. It lives on in the Synthesis Four system, but realistically, the original Performance Series was a brilliant execution of what I like to call "All Ti, all the time." In fact I loved it so much, a friend and I created the PT250, a classic 250 cabinet with a Ti tweeter, midrange and mid bass, along with JBL's 14 inch LE14H-3 woofer. It's a spectacular sounding system. Of course, it's set up as an active four-way quad-amp loudspeaker so it should.

At the time of the Performance Series, you'd be hard pressed to find any JBL floor standing speaker that wasn't a direct radiator top to bottom, though EOS waveguides--the world's smallest horns--were becoming common.

Then Revel got the Ti franchise at Harman and things changed. There were a few low-end direct radiator towers from the Balboa, (old) Studio, and Cinema Series stuff, but the last good example, still for sale, is the Studio L (now usually just "L") represented by the L890 and L880, along with their Mylar UHF ribbons.

Starting with the Project Array Series (now Array Series) and its sideways horn, JBL began a movement from the top down to make horns de riguer in its entire consumer product line. It currently descends from the TOTL Everest II all the way to the new Studio 570. Only the seven "bottom" models are not horn-based at this point, and five of the seven are relatively old models.

Just to comply with some later posts requesting 'naked' shots of the Performance Series...

Here's a few shots of my little ensemble. I'll be getting my 7th and final PS1400 early next week for the right hand side.... biggrin.gif

Front


Left Side - That's a B&W ASW3000 on the right...a wonderful sub: 18Hz at -3db point 15inch driver 300w amp - I've had that for nearly 14 years now.


Rear Left


Rear Right



The front 3 will finally be getting the amplifiers they deserve tomorrow - I have 3 Emotiva XPA - 1's arriving.

For those who are interested I have Kef Bipoles at the side position (no pics) and an odd choice for the rears, see below...




Yamaha NS40M

I have to thank people like Filecat and Lansing Heritage site for being both a boon and a curse. It's wonderful to live vicariously through others in their purchasers...but it also makes me buy more eek.gif
post #13667 of 15041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcoat23 View Post

Just to comply with some later posts requesting 'naked' shots of the Performance Series...

Here's a few shots of my little ensemble. I'll be getting my 7th and final PS1400 early next week for the right hand side.... biggrin.gif

Front


Left Side - That's a B&W ASW3000 on the right...a wonderful sub: 18Hz at -3db point 15inch driver 300w amp - I've had that for nearly 14 years now.


Rear Left


Rear Right



The front 3 will finally be getting the amplifiers they deserve tomorrow - I have 3 Emotiva XPA - 1's arriving.

For those who are interested I have Kef Bipoles at the side position (no pics) and an odd choice for the rears, see below...




Yamaha NS40M

I have to thank people like Filecat and Lansing Heritage site for being both a boon and a curse. It's wonderful to live vicariously through others in their purchasers...but it also makes me buy more eek.gif

Nice collection. And I thought my two PS1400s & four HTPS400s were overkill.biggrin.gif
post #13668 of 15041
I'm trying to decide between a L810 vs a Klipsh RS-41 left/right rears for my 5.1 system. Any comments or advice? thanks mitsmarty
post #13669 of 15041
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojodave View Post

I have a JBL L830 and a LC1 and I'm curious how a Studio 190 or Studio 180 would sound with a LC1 center and put the L830's as the surrounds. Has anyone heard the Studio 180 or 190 with a LC1?

Does anyone know if the LC1 center channel will match the Studio 180/190?
post #13670 of 15041
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ-Rhino View Post

Nice collection. And I thought my two PS1400s & four HTPS400s were overkill.biggrin.gif

Ahh you know what the PS1400 is like. It's not really a subwoofer, but more of a mid-bass unit. IIRC its -3db point is 30 or 32Hz. Having said that. Hooking up the 6 of them (currently)...music developed real slam. Turning up the volume just made my grin wider.

The big 4642 isn't even hooked up yet (still waiting on an amp for that). However I recognised that two PT800's and the PC600 were not really being served by the Onkyo - hence the Emotiva's.

I have to confess that Filecat has sung the praises of the HTPS400 many times on the Lansing site, and I've always wanted to hear them. I missed out when they were available for around $400 a time. Now they seem to back up to $1000+. That 12 inch driver is really over-engineered. Given their size, I might - at some future time - be able to get a pair past the wife for a bedroom system biggrin.gif
post #13671 of 15041
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtothar View Post

I just picked up a set of JBL Northridge E on craigs a couple weeks ago and thought I would say hello.

Setup Includes:

E80 (x2)

EC25

E10 (x3)

E150P

Paid $180 for all and I also received all of the original booklets.

A couple of grills are broken, but no matter. It really sounds good. Running with an Onkyo TX-NR509 (5.1) and LG 60PA6500.

If anybody has a spare E10 laying around to get me to 7.1 let me know wink.gif


Nice find, I'm sure you'll like them a lot.
post #13672 of 15041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcoat23 View Post



I have to thank people like Filecat and Lansing Heritage site for being both a boon and a curse. It's wonderful to live vicariously through others in their purchasers...but it also makes me buy more eek.gif

Ha ha, you're welcome, I think...

confused.gif

Just in case your SO ever reads this and wants to blame me and my LH alter ego, hate the game, not the player.
post #13673 of 15041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcoat23 View Post


I have to confess that Filecat has sung the praises of the HTPS400 many times on the Lansing site, and I've always wanted to hear them. I missed out when they were available for around $400 a time. Now they seem to back up to $1000+. That 12 inch driver is really over-engineered. Given their size, I might - at some future time - be able to get a pair past the wife for a bedroom system biggrin.gif

That little 14.5" cube is a heck of a sub, and it can be EQed a lot lower than the rated specs imply. Of course, you can also blow up the amp (guilty!) before you harm the driver. With multiples daisy-chained as designed and correctly placed around the room, they all work together without breaking a sweat, and the uniformity of bass around the room is really something to hear.
post #13674 of 15041
Gang:

Thanks for all the great information here. Mind if I ask a couple of questions?

I'm about to spring for a pair of L890s. (Weird, by the way, that black 890s are currently way cheaper than 880s, esp the black ones, on Amazon.) Anyhow, my questions are as follows:
  1. There is no subwoofer in the Studio L line. Any suggestions which JBL sub would go best with the 890s? Other alternatives? Do I even need one?
  2. From reading up here, it's clear you guys would recommend the LC2 center over the LC1, but I have no room for the former. Will the LC1 still do the job?
  3. Do I need a bigger amp? Currently using a Yamaha RX-V667 AVR with 90 W per channel.

Thanks in advance for your help!
post #13675 of 15041
Quote:
Originally Posted by wristshot View Post

Gang:

Thanks for all the great information here. Mind if I ask a couple of questions?

I'm about to spring for a pair of L890s. (Weird, by the way, that black 890s are currently way cheaper than 880s, esp the black ones, on Amazon.) Anyhow, my questions are as follows:
  1. There is no subwoofer in the Studio L line. Any suggestions which JBL sub would go best with the 890s? Other alternatives? Do I even need one?
  2. From reading up here, it's clear you guys would recommend the LC2 center over the LC1, but I have no room for the former. Will the LC1 still do the job?
  3. Do I need a bigger amp? Currently using a Yamaha RX-V667 AVR with 90 W per channel.

Thanks in advance for your help!
The L8400P is the sub. But with the L890s and a good amp you'll only miss the lowest octave. They're good to 28 htz.
The L890 have an impedance dip down to almost 3Ω between 80~250 htz so some amps may have a hard time.
When I had the L890 connected to a Parasound 220w amp in a large room, no problems.
post #13676 of 15041
Hi wristshot,
1) There is an L subwoofer. The L8400P. I use 2 of them along with the L880s in a 7.1 system for movies/TV. The L890s I use for music without a sub. If you plan to get the most out of your system for movies then a sub or 2 would be a good idea.
2) LC2 vs LC1 If you get the L890s then make room for the LC2. It has the same 4way design as the L890/L880. The LC1 mates better with the L830/810 design speakers but I'm just giving you the ideal configuration. The LC1 would match better than most other brand center speakers though if you don't have room for the LC2.
3) The Yamaha is fine but again ideally an amp with a couple hundred watts would really let you rock out though not necessary if you use a sub.

Have Fun!

Edit: Didn't type fast enough ha ha.
post #13677 of 15041
Quote:
Originally Posted by wristshot View Post

Gang:

Thanks for all the great information here. Mind if I ask a couple of questions?

I'm about to spring for a pair of L890s. (Weird, by the way, that black 890s are currently way cheaper than 880s, esp the black ones, on Amazon.) Anyhow, my questions are as follows:
  1. There is no subwoofer in the Studio L line. Any suggestions which JBL sub would go best with the 890s? Other alternatives? Do I even need one?
  2. From reading up here, it's clear you guys would recommend the LC2 center over the LC1, but I have no room for the former. Will the LC1 still do the job?
  3. Do I need a bigger amp? Currently using a Yamaha RX-V667 AVR with 90 W per channel.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi
First of all , yes there has always been a great price difference between the Black and Cherry L series JBLs. It drives me nuts , because I am a Huge fan! of the Cherry JBLs.
I currently run two JBL 890s and a LC2 off of a Onkyo TX-SR608 AVR (100 Watts per channel) Your Yamaha should be fine. That being said as soon as the finance dept. signs off on it , I am currently lusting after more wattage to drive these.
For my Sub duties I am running a non L series sub. The ES250PW. With the already great bass response of the L890s I find the ES250PW a great compliment to my current speaker set , plus it is wireless.
I personally have never heard the LC1 , but based on my past experiance with JBL , I find it hard to believe it is lacking.
I provided some pics of my current ES250PW sub.
Good Luck!


post #13678 of 15041
Picked up the L890's today and have been listening to them for a couple of hours in stereo only with the sub off. (Steve Strauss, Kenny G, Meatloaf, Elvis, Classic Queen, Santana, Elton John, Simply Red and Nora Jones). I am highly impressed with these speakers, bass that brought the E90's to their knees are handled without breaking a sweat with the mids and highs clean and clear compared to the E90's I'm hearing more of the instruments than I did before. Going to go watch a movie with my girls and see how they do with that (note to self - turn the sub back on). Here are a few pics, I should be getting the LC2 next week sometime.





post #13679 of 15041
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoST View Post

Picked up the L890's today and have been listening to them for a couple of hours in stereo only with the sub off. (Steve Strauss, Kenny G, Meatloaf, Elvis, Classic Queen, Santana, Elton John, Simply Red and Nora Jones). I am highly impressed with these speakers, bass that brought the E90's to their knees are handled without breaking a sweat with the mids and highs clean and clear compared to the E90's I'm hearing more of the instruments than I did before. Going to go watch a movie with my girls and see how they do with that (note to self - turn the sub back on). Here are a few pics, I should be getting the LC2 next week sometime.






Very! Nice!
Congrats!!
wink.gif
post #13680 of 15041
Looking good!

I'm glad to see the rug on your hard floor. Even so, I'm guessing the E90s were a bit bright/harsh in that room. I bet the L890s are a lot more pleasant. smile.gif

That's a great looking entertainment center. Are those Wii-motes I see there? I do Wii Fit plus every single day. Dropped 70 pounds that way.

What's the story on the coral? It looks interesting. Please don't tell me it's an audiophile "room tuner." wink.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › The OFFICIAL JBL Owners Thread