or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › The OFFICIAL JBL Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The OFFICIAL JBL Owners Thread - Page 473

post #14161 of 15019
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DHD View Post

Is there anyway you can place the LC2 below, and in front of the screen? That would be my choice for location.

Sigh.. smile.gif I would prefer to put the speaker underneath the TV as well, but my entertainment center has an opening only 18" wide by 7-7/8" tall. Either I'm stuck with something that size or I go above the TV. Putting the speaker in front of my entertainment center wouldn't work for me.
post #14162 of 15019
The main reason I don't like or have an entertainment center. Especially being I have a 24" tall center.
post #14163 of 15019
First time user here.
I have JBL EON 515XT 2 of them and i want to get a subwoofer for them. I was looking at "JBL PRX718S" does any body have any recommendations on any other models or what sounds better for them. I just use them for small parties and some times recreational use. Just trying to make more noise around the house.
Thank You!
post #14164 of 15019
Quote:
Originally Posted by slateX View Post

Thank you 4DHD and Mad Norseman.

My yamaha rx-a720 advertises 90W per channel, I assume that would be sufficient. I'm guessing I'd have to boost the center level in the speaker calibration setup in order to feed the "pig" sufficiently, right?

I'm trying to put it above my TV (Panasonic 50" Plasma), and I'm looking at something like this to do the job http://www.centerstagebracket.com/3006.html

I'm going to cut up a piece of cardboard to get a feel for the size of this thing. Does it seem nuts to put something so heavy up on a TV like that? The bracket says it's rated for 30lbs and the speaker is 29lbs, but it seems rather large and unwieldy.

Thanks!

I don't know if you'll have to boost the center channel's level with the LC2 or not.
Run your YPAO and check it afterwards, maybe?, maybe not? - as the YPAO should automatically compensate for speaker efficiency differences, level adjust them to all work together, etc., just try it and see, then experiment if necessary. Good luck!
post #14165 of 15019
First time user here.
I have JBL EON 515XT 2 of them and i want to get a subwoofer for them. I was looking at "JBL PRX718S" does any body have any recommendations on any other models or what sounds better for them. I just use them for small parties and some times recreational use. Just trying to make more noise around the house.
Thank You!
post #14166 of 15019
Quote:
Originally Posted by beto4632 View Post

First time user here.
I have JBL EON 515XT 2 of them and i want to get a subwoofer for them. I was looking at "JBL PRX718S" does any body have any recommendations on any other models or what sounds better for them. I just use them for small parties and some times recreational use. Just trying to make more noise around the house.
Thank You!

Any of the pro model 18" subs are designed to produce HIGH SPL at 40Hz and above. If that fits your requirements, any of them will be great. Your EON models are no slouch in that department either, so think of it as offering similar FR as your EONs, just a lot more of it. Hope you have a large room.
post #14167 of 15019
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Any of the pro model 18" subs are designed to produce HIGH SPL at 40Hz and above. If that fits your requirements, any of them will be great. Your EON models are no slouch in that department either, so think of it as offering similar FR as your EONs, just a lot more of it. Hope you have a large room.

Thank you so much. Ill keep on looking hopefully i can make a decision soon
post #14168 of 15019
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojodave View Post

My wife and I went to Vegas for our anniversary. She asked me what I wanted to do, I told her I wanted to go to Frys. We checked into our room and went straight to Frys, and they actually have a listening room to compare speakers. There is no where in Salt Lake to listen to different brands. I compared the JBL ES80's to Polk 75T and Infinity P363. My wife and I thought the ES80's sounded better than the other two speakers. They sounded wider with a bigger soundstage and even cranked up they sounded crystal clear. Highs were smooth and the bass was surprisingly tight. They were on sale for $144 and I got a pair to replace my L830's as my front speakers. I love the JBL L830's, but I just moved and had a huge room and wanted floorstanding speakers. What surprised me between the difference of the bookshelf L830's and the ES80's is that the ES80's kept the details that I loved about the L830's, but gave it more of a richer sound than I got from my bookshelfs. I played Elton John's 60th birthday DVD and piano and deep bass on certain songs sounded incredible. I played switched between stereo and 7.1 and both sounded great I'm not an expert, but I think one of the reasons they sound better is that they are taller. They are huge and are 44" tall on their feet. There is something about a big speaker that a bookshelf can not replicate. I have a JBL LC1 center channel and they sound great together. I was glad I was able to stay in the JBL family and keep my wife happy with the budget price...smile.gif

Along those lines, we just changed our E50 front bookshelves to ES80s. I too was shocked at how low the price was, and we are enjoying both the aesthetic improvement and the "bigger" sound. Even though I went from 8" to 6" the bass is still great thanks to our SVS SB-12. smile.gif

The ES80s match great with our old and trusty EC35 center. Someday we may upgrade the E10 surrounds to something else, and then we will probably move the E10s to the back for 7.1 setup.
post #14169 of 15019
I guess the low price of the ES line is because they are beeing discontinued?

The succesor of the ES line looks to be the Studio 1, I dont know if it sounds better but it gets quite positive reviews. Looks wise its horrible, but thats just my opinion. .

Still debating whether or not go the Studio L route myself, or maybe opt for the Studio 5 series. Prices on the studio 5 are dropping lately here in Europe, and the Studio 5 line is highly appraised in several reviews. The only compressed drivers I heard were Klipsch, and they were far to bright and plain annoying to my ears. However the Studio 5 seems nicely balanced and impressive according to several reviews. Also I love the quality parts inside, looks neat, according to this review:

http://www.areadvd.de/hardware/2012/jbl_studio530.shtml

Im curious how the Studio 5 line would compare to the Studio L line. Im guessing it should be quite alot better, but thats just my feeling. More weight, newer, better drivers (although 2.5 way vs 4 way), better X-over. Finish wise the Studio L looks better tho.

Any JBL fans have listened to both?
post #14170 of 15019
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityG35 View Post

I guess the low price of the ES line is because they are beeing discontinued?

The succesor of the ES line looks to be the Studio 1, I dont know if it sounds better but it gets quite positive reviews. Looks wise its horrible, but thats just my opinion. .

Still debating whether or not go the Studio L route myself, or maybe opt for the Studio 5 series. Prices on the studio 5 are dropping lately here in Europe, and the Studio 5 line is highly appraised in several reviews. The only compressed drivers I heard were Klipsch, and they were far to bright and plain annoying to my ears. However the Studio 5 seems nicely balanced and impressive according to several reviews. Also I love the quality parts inside, looks neat, according to this review:

http://www.areadvd.de/hardware/2012/jbl_studio530.shtml

Im curious how the Studio 5 line would compare to the Studio L line. Im guessing it should be quite alot better, but thats just my feeling. More weight, newer, better drivers (although 2.5 way vs 4 way), better X-over. Finish wise the Studio L looks better tho.

Any JBL fans have listened to both?

Either the Studio L or Studio 5 would be very much an upgrade to the ES. The Studio 1 is the ugly duckling of JBL and probably in between the ES~Studio L, quality wise.

Looking at the pics of the 530, what a marketing gimmick, dual binding posts for a 2-way, with a 230mm driver.
What single amp could not drive the 530 effectively? Answer...none.
post #14171 of 15019
I'm planning out my upgrade path and I'm puzzled about the L series floorstanding models. The JBL L890 is clearly meant to be a step up from the L880 yet on Amazon it is selling for a significantly lower price than the 880. I used a price tracker and it has been this way for a while. Is there something wrong with the 890, or is it maybe harder to sell because of its huge size? The 890 is huge for my apartment but I don't want to pay more for a lesser speaker (the 880).
Thanks!
post #14172 of 15019
Most of the time since '06, the L890 is a higher price than the L880. It might be that now a current supply of the L890 was purchased at a temporary lower price. Both are very good speakers, but if used full range, the L890 will supply lower bass output.
post #14173 of 15019
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DHD View Post

Either the Studio L or Studio 5 would be very much an upgrade to the ES. The Studio 1 is the ugly duckling of JBL and probably in between the ES~Studio L, quality wise.

Looking at the pics of the 530, what a marketing gimmick, dual binding posts for a 2-way, with a 230mm driver.
What single amp could not drive the 530 effectively? Answer...none.

The ES line is being discontinued and that's why they're on sale all over the place right now.
I think they're a great sounding speaker series at a tremendous bargain price right now.

I also agree that the new 'Studio' line is *REALLY* ugly!
Wonder who came up with THAT look over there?
Edited by Mad Norseman - 7/12/13 at 7:18pm
post #14174 of 15019
^^^^ Don't know, but must have been on LSD.
post #14175 of 15019
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DHD View Post

^^^^ Don't know, but must have been on LSD.

LOL! - Maybe so!
But to me this new 'Studio' line looks like a 'puckered anus' mounted up high on top of a box...(YMMV).

studio590blk_001_dv480x480.png 26k .png file
post #14176 of 15019
Hey, to those who have used LC2's for their fronts: did you get a chance to compare them to the L880 and L890s? Did you get a chance to compare them to the L820s?
post #14177 of 15019
Guys, about the Studio 500 Series:

I tend to judge speakers on sound rather than looks, though I know looks are very important. Things that look different than we expect or are too different than what we're used to can be easily ridiculed on looks alone, especially when we have no experience or knowledge of them other than a visual prejudice.

I don't find comments of LSD-inspired, butt-puckered design offensive since we're just talking about speakers, though their renowned designer might feel differently. In fact those humorous concepts take me back to... Oh never mind! No need for unnecessary disclosure here.

Truth is that that vertical horn and unconventional driver will take anything most of us have in our homes to school and then some in the reproduction of mid and high frequency sound. Before someone responds, "I find that hard to believe..." it's simple to write unfounded opinions, and it's another thing to have opinions borne of experience and an understanding of the advances such a design incorporates. So, go hear one if you can. smile.gif

Then you might be inspired to write that the LSD trippy butt puckerers were an ear-opening experience. wink.gif
post #14178 of 15019
Quote:
Originally Posted by filecat13 View Post

Guys, about the Studio 500 Series:

I tend to judge speakers on sound rather than looks, though I know looks are very important. Things that look different than we expect or are too different than what we're used to can be easily ridiculed on looks alone, especially when we have no experience or knowledge of them other than a visual prejudice.

I don't find comments of LSD-inspired, butt-puckered design offensive since we're just talking about speakers, though their renowned designer might feel differently. In fact those humorous concepts take me back to... Oh never mind! No need for unnecessary disclosure here.

Truth is that that vertical horn and unconventional driver will take anything most of us have in our homes to school and then some in the reproduction of mid and high frequency sound. Before someone responds, "I find that hard to believe..." it's simple to write unfounded opinions, and it's another thing to have opinions borne of experience and an understanding of the advances such a design incorporates. So, go hear one if you can. smile.gif

Then you might be inspired to write that the LSD trippy butt puckerers were an ear-opening experience. wink.gif

I agree with everything you've said.
But, the fact remains that JBL in recent years seems more interested in freakish designs, than in making good marketing decisions to a wider audience.
I love the looks of their Studio L, ES & LS series (after all I own a bunch of those wonderful speakers myself!), but I'm just an old fuddy-duddy (just ask my kids,...no wait, don't! eek.gif).

And I'd be willing to bet that the new Studio 500 series speakers sound wonderful too, but I just DON'T like the way JBL designs the 'looks' of their speakers anymore.
Going for shock value maybe? Or only interested in the younger generation 'iPod & ear buds crowd?' (Who frankly, IMO couldn't care less about sound - as long as its convenient and portable...frown.gif).
A better approach would be better marketing of JBL to the audio and home theater markets - which we NEVER see anymore in the major sound magazines.
I blame Harmon International for that - but I blame JBL speaker designers for their over emphasis on weird looks...my 2 cents worth anyway...smile.gif
post #14179 of 15019
Ok Guys and Gals.......

Help me make up my mind here.
I'm looking to get a pair of JBL speakers for my bedroom TV.
I can either get these JBL 830s from Amazon for $329 and have my old Onkyo 608 drive them.

http://www.amazon.com/JBL-3-Way-6-Inch-Bookshelf-Loudspeaker/dp/B000FYZARY/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1373914773&sr=1-3&keywords=jbl+monitor+speakers

Or I can get a pair of these JBL Powered Monitors , for $29.00 less and sell my Onkyo 608.

http://www.amazon.com/JBL-LSR2325P-Two-Way-Bi-Amplified-Monitor/dp/B001PYK1BS/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1373915355&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=JBL+LSR2325

What should I do????
post #14180 of 15019
I'd choose the LSRs in a heartbeat. However, I'd also know they're meant to be used with an LSR sub.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dmi&field-keywords=JBL+LSR+sub

Even with the $399 sub, they'd be an amazing system.

Of course, better prices on the subs here, including some authorized sales.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=JBL+LSR&_dcat=47091&Type=Subwoofer&rt=nc

Of course, they sound pretty good--better than the 830s--without a sub, but if you add one, watch out!
post #14181 of 15019
Quote:
Originally Posted by filecat13 View Post

I'd choose the LSRs in a heartbeat. However, I'd also know they're meant to be used with an LSR sub.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dmi&field-keywords=JBL+LSR+sub

Even with the $399 sub, they'd be an amazing system.

Of course, better prices on the subs here, including some authorized sales.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=JBL+LSR&_dcat=47091&Type=Subwoofer&rt=nc

Of course, they sound pretty good--better than the 830s--without a sub, but if you add one, watch out!

Thanks! for the feed back!
I was really leaning to the powered monitors.
I just really don't want to put a AVR in the bedroom.
I cant really afford the Sub right now .
I am seriously considering the LSRs , though.
post #14182 of 15019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Norseman View Post


But, the fact remains that JBL in recent years seems more interested in freakish designs

And I'd be willing to bet that the new Studio 500 series speakers sound wonderful too, but I just DON'T like the way JBL designs the 'looks' of their speakers anymore.
Going for shock value maybe? Or only interested in the younger generation 'iPod & ear buds crowd?'

I also don't care for the look, but as filecat mentioned, personally knowing the Everest, K2, and Array chief designer, that vertical horns were a long time vision of his having proven the auditory benefit in testing. He finally broke through the marketing wall against it with arguably the freakiest, shocking, and weird design of them all, The Array 1400, whose performance to dollar value is essentially unmatched within or outside JBL. The key element of that design is that vertical horn. When this designer built his home speakers with cost no object and design no limitation features, that vertical horn was featured. I can tell you from having heard it side by side with the $44k K2-S9900 that it fairly easily outperforms it, an incredible feat.

Point is, I'm just lucky to live in the right place and know the right guy to provide that experience, and would put the much more bizarre Array 1400 in my living room just for the sound if could.
post #14183 of 15019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Norseman View Post


... the fact remains that JBL in recent years seems more interested in freakish designs, than in making good marketing decisions to a wider audience.
I love the looks of their Studio L, ES & LS series (after all I own a bunch of those wonderful speakers myself!), but I'm just an old fuddy-duddy (just ask my kids,...no wait, don't! eek.gif).

I cannot defend these on any grounds.

post #14184 of 15019
On the other hand, these look very good to me, especially in person. Bear in mind, I've had vertical arrays for about three years now, first the SAM1HF/SAM2LF units in my HT and now the Timbers Arrays.

It's hard to see the tapered effect of the sides in these photos, but it sure seems well-proportioned to me, and it's representative of the latest understanding of effective enclosure design.

post #14185 of 15019
Quote:
Originally Posted by filecat13 View Post

I cannot defend these on any grounds.


I own and love these. I wish there was a left and right side though...
post #14186 of 15019
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobdude View Post

I own and love these. I wish there was a left and right side though...

I'm glad you're happy with them. That's all that matters.

Since we were commenting on appearance more than performance, they just look really odd to me. The lack of symmetry is probably the biggest visual drawback.

Still, as written above, I think the Studio 500 Series looks good, and others find them weird. Taste is very personal.

Enjoy!
post #14187 of 15019
67$ if you're in the US: http://www.frys.com/product/7683157?...FXHMtAodC1MAcg They any good?
post #14188 of 15019
To any LC2 owners out there:
I am trying to mount my LC2 on a surface. The LC2 came with brackets and screws that look like they are meant to attach to the back of the speaker. However, there appear to be bolts or plugs in the back of my speaker where the bracket screws should go. Am I supposed to pry these out or something? The manual skips over this entirely!
Thanks!
post #14189 of 15019
Quote:
Originally Posted by slateX View Post

To any LC2 owners out there:
I am trying to mount my LC2 on a surface. The LC2 came with brackets and screws that look like they are meant to attach to the back of the speaker. However, there appear to be bolts or plugs in the back of my speaker where the bracket screws should go. Am I supposed to pry these out or something? The manual skips over this entirely!
Thanks!

They're just plastic plugs filling the t-nuts that the screws go into. They pop right out, but save them!
post #14190 of 15019
Quote:
Originally Posted by filecat13 View Post

I cannot defend these on any grounds.


I agree, just odd!

Quote:
Originally Posted by filecat13 View Post

On the other hand, these look very good to me, especially in person. Bear in mind, I've had vertical arrays for about three years now, first the SAM1HF/SAM2LF units in my HT and now the Timbers Arrays.

It's hard to see the tapered effect of the sides in these photos, but it sure seems well-proportioned to me, and it's representative of the latest understanding of effective enclosure design.


But I do like the looks of the 500 series...just not so sure about the 2 1/2 -way design.
I would really like to audition them. But not likely to happen. My next trip to Japan is most likely through Hawaii, not the mainland. Then again they might be in Japan by then. I know at least one set of Studio L will be there...on their way to my son right now.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › The OFFICIAL JBL Owners Thread