or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › The OFFICIAL JBL Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The OFFICIAL JBL Owners Thread - Page 491

post #14701 of 15016
Quote:
Originally Posted by gferrell View Post

I just restored some old JBL's and setting them up for music and home theater duty. They sound pretty darn good.
]

I think you installed those mid drivers inside out, they're supposed to look like this: wink.gif

post #14702 of 15016
Quote:
Originally Posted by gferrell View Post

I just restored some old JBL's and setting them up for music and home theater duty. They sound pretty darn good.
^^^ Very nice gferrell, thanks for sharing that photo with us! tongue.gif
post #14703 of 15016
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

I think you installed those mid drivers inside out, they're supposed to look like this: wink.gif


I thought they sounded better inside out but thanks for pointing that out!
post #14704 of 15016
Q) Am I CrAzY for wanting to buy and use these as my computer-based HTPC 2.0 front stage?

http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/portable-market/eon600-series/eon615#.UuW3fxD8X_U

I only saw some UK prices, like 450 pounds each, meaning they'll be around a grand each? Not sure if that's accurate, I can't find any other retail pricing info. These new Eon 615s just came out, or will be out soon. I was considering buying a pair of Catalysts or JTRs but I really like the look of these too. I wonder how they'll sound at non-club levels (although I'll certainly use them to their full extent once in a while). I figure since they're full range, I can get by without a sub (I have one, but it's cheaper). I like the sound stage of my 16:9 projector setup with two speakers on the side, using a phantom center, so I think perhaps sending out an optical signal to these bad boys might give me some good quality levels.

I know I asked this already in this thread, but not about these speakers specifically : do you think studio-monitor style PA speakers would be decent for home use? I have 1000 square feet of open loft to deal with, and I like pro speakers to be able to move them around easily on my tripod stands when I have parties and such. What do you think? Look pretty bad ass, don't they?
post #14705 of 15016
I am planning on replacing my current speaker system and am interested in the JBL L820. I have found them on Amazon for a reasonable price, but the center speaker that matches these is priced $50 higher than a pair of the L820s. I am thinking of just getting 3 pairs of these and running them in either a 6.1 or a 5.1 and just having a spare. Would the L820 work okay as a center channel?

Also, how is the off axis response of these when mounted as surrounds? Do they need to be towed in if mounted on the rear wall? I ask because that is the only location I can put them and my seating is right up against the wall in which they would be mounted.
post #14706 of 15016
So, an update on my JBL Professional adventure for my HT Room:

If you have the space and setup to use the JBL 3677's (or higher models), DO IT. ABSOLUTELY DO IT! Of all the systems I have had, nothing touches this setup for HT use. Nothing. And I am not even using external amplification, just an Anthem MRX710 receiver.

They are effortless in their sound reproduction. And clear. Absolutely no harshness to the highs/no listening fatigue. I have found myself turning it louder than ever without wincing during high frequency scenes. They blend perfectly with my Rythmik F25's and create a front soundstage unlike anything I have had before.

So yea. Do it.
post #14707 of 15016
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post



One of these in a medium (6") please.
post #14708 of 15016
Guys I am looking at the new studio series floor standing models and thought that jbl offered these in a wood veneer other than black. Does anyone have word on this?
post #14709 of 15016
Quote:
Originally Posted by stereojunkie View Post

Guys I am looking at the new studio series floor standing models and thought that jbl offered these in a wood veneer other than black. Does anyone have word on this?

Are you talking about the Studio 2 or Studio 5 series?
post #14710 of 15016
The 5 series.
post #14711 of 15016
Quote:
Originally Posted by stereojunkie View Post

The 5 series.

At this time in the USA - black finish ( no guarantee, that it is veneer)

My Studio 530 are vinyl wrap - however, you can only tell when looking up close.
post #14712 of 15016
Quote:
Originally Posted by action_jackson View Post

I am planning on replacing my current speaker system and am interested in the JBL L820. I have found them on Amazon for a reasonable price, but the center speaker that matches these is priced $50 higher than a pair of the L820s. I am thinking of just getting 3 pairs of these and running them in either a 6.1 or a 5.1 and just having a spare. Would the L820 work okay as a center channel?

Also, how is the off axis response of these when mounted as surrounds? Do they need to be towed in if mounted on the rear wall? I ask because that is the only location I can put them and my seating is right up against the wall in which they would be mounted.

I am currently running 3 pair of JBL L820's and 2 LC2's for center channel. The biggest concern with using a single L820 for the center is the balance of the Mid/Bass from one side of the room to the other. I cannot say that it would sound "bad" just not sure how it would end up for you. Only way to REALLY tell would be have an LC2 (or similar center) then swap it out for the single L820. It is what sounds good to you.


(The small speakers on the LEFT and RIGHT channels and the top S-Center are no longer in the mix. I was just goofing around with them But the LC2's and the L820's mixed with the S38's are all running)


As for your second question. On a 5.1 setup, there should not be any need to "toe-in" the speakers if mounted on the side walls. That being said, it helps if you have some room from your listening spot to the speaker. If I did not have much room that way, I would probably default to the speaker on the BACK wall (again, pending there is plenty of room above and behind your listening location. The L820's have a very nice dispersion of the highs (easiest to pinpoint) vs many other brands of speakers I have owned. I actually incorporated a pair of JAMO C400SUR's (wired into the L & R Sur channel) into the mix between the front and back row of seating to help disperse/diffuse the sound along the wall a bit more due to the narrow room I have. Seems to work out nicely, again it is what sounds good to YOU.

Hope it helps!
post #14713 of 15016
atsa lotta speaker there Johnny, lol biggrin.gif

I have 3 LC2s for my front l/c/r speakers and think they sound AWESOME!
but I guess that is kind of the opposite of what aj was asking about.
post #14714 of 15016
Thanks for the advice. I am just going to order 3 pair and see how it sounds. I wonder if I could hook up two of them in the center...
post #14715 of 15016
Quote:
Originally Posted by action_jackson View Post

Thanks for the advice. I am just going to order 3 pair and see how it sounds. I wonder if I could hook up two of them in the center...

You could try 2 but I think one would sound just fine.
post #14716 of 15016
I am wondering if anyone can give me some advice on the studio 520c. Since it has two smaller woofers (4 inch) how large of a room would you recommend it for? Does anyone have any direct comparison between the studio 5 and studio 2 center channels?

Currently I have a pair of studio 180's that I got on clearance and am thinking of adding a center channel. Would the studio 5 or studio 2's centers match alright with these for the time being? I would most likely move the 180's to the rear and add either studio 5 or studio 2 towers in the front to match the center channel. I could even consider some Revel centers if anyone thinks that is a better way to go.

My other option is to purchase a Kilpsch RC-62 or RC-52 to match my Klipsch's in the living room and move my KEF C6 to use with the Studio 180's. Surprisingly (at least to me) the KEF C6 sounds pretty good with the Klipsch towers upfront, after a little equalization.

Any advice or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.
post #14717 of 15016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toleedo View Post

I am wondering if anyone can give me some advice on the studio 520c. Since it has two smaller woofers (4 inch) how large of a room would you recommend it for? Does anyone have any direct comparison between the studio 5 and studio 2 center channels?

Currently I have a pair of studio 180's that I got on clearance and am thinking of adding a center channel. Would the studio 5 or studio 2's centers match alright with these for the time being? I would most likely move the 180's to the rear and add either studio 5 or studio 2 towers in the front to match the center channel. I could even consider some Revel centers if anyone thinks that is a better way to go.

My other option is to purchase a Kilpsch RC-62 or RC-52 to match my Klipsch's in the living room and move my KEF C6 to use with the Studio 180's. Surprisingly (at least to me) the KEF C6 sounds pretty good with the Klipsch towers upfront, after a little equalization.

Any advice or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.

It's not so much how large the room but how far the listening position.
post #14718 of 15016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post

It's not so much how large the room but how far the listening position.

Well the room is about 19'x12', listening position is probably closer to 15'x10'.

What is the largest listening position you would recommend for the studio 520c? I can always re-arrange which room my different set-ups are in.

Thanks.
post #14719 of 15016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toleedo View Post

Well the room is about 19'x12', listening position is probably closer to 15'x10'.

What is the largest listening position you would recommend for the studio 520c? I can always re-arrange which room my different set-ups are in.Thanks.

Take a closer look at the 520 woofers - they are not wimpy for their size - they have big
surrounds, and the voice coil is not average >> people are using the 520 with the 590
towers, they are made to work together. Greg Timbers knows what he is doing. Also, the
center can handle up to 150 watts. I can hear a telephone ring in a room your size.
post #14720 of 15016
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

Take a closer look at the 520 woofers - they are not wimpy for their size - they have big
surrounds, and the voice coil is not average >> people are using the 520 with the 590
towers, they are made to work together. Greg Timbers knows what he is doing. Also, the
center can handle up to 150 watts. I can hear a telephone ring in a room your size.

Would you happen to have any opinion between the studio 5's and studio 2's?

I have heard some say that the studio 2's are inferior to the 5's, but curious what others may think.

Thanks.
post #14721 of 15016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toleedo View Post

Would you happen to have any opinion between the studio 5's and studio 2's?

I have heard some say that the studio 2's are inferior to the 5's, but curious what others may think.

Yes, the Studio 2 looks to be a diluted version of the Studio 5 series.
I would maybe use the Studio 210 as surrounds.
post #14722 of 15016
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

Yes, the Studio 2 looks to be a diluted version of the Studio 5 series.
I would maybe use the Studio 210 as surrounds.


Do you have any idea if the 520c would sound alright with the studio 180's up front? The plan is to eventually move the 180's to the rear if I purchase the 520c instead of a Klipsch RC-62 or 52 for my other setup, which currently mixes the KEF C6 with some Klipsch towers upfront.

Basically trying to decide if I should go with the 520c or RC-62C and use the KEF C6 with the 180's. The 520c is definitely cheaper than the RC-62 and 52

Thanks.
post #14723 of 15016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toleedo View Post

Do you have any idea if the 520c would sound alright with the studio 180's up front? The plan is to eventually move the 180's to the rear if I purchase the 520c instead of a Klipsch RC-62 or 52 for my other setup, which currently mixes the KEF C6 with some Klipsch towers upfront.

Basically trying to decide if I should go with the 520c or RC-62C and use the KEF C6 with the 180's. The 520c is definitely cheaper than the RC-62 and 52

Thanks.

The 520 should be OK with the 180 for now - a real good price.

I know my preference - however, the choice is up to you - Amazon has a good
return policy. If you buy and stick with the 520, then plan to mate it with the
JBL Studio 5 series in the future.
post #14724 of 15016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toleedo View Post

Do you have any idea if the 520c would sound alright with the studio 180's up front? The plan is to eventually move the 180's to the rear if I purchase the 520c instead of a Klipsch RC-62 or 52 for my other setup, which currently mixes the KEF C6 with some Klipsch towers upfront.

Basically trying to decide if I should go with the 520c or RC-62C and use the KEF C6 with the 180's. The 520c is definitely cheaper than the RC-62 and 52

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

The 520 should be OK with the 180 for now - a real good price.

I know my preference - however, the choice is up to you - Amazon has a good
return policy. If you buy and stick with the 520, then plan to mate it with the
JBL Studio 5 series in the future.

Thanks for your opinion, I am assuming you would go with the JBL? I think I am leaning towards trying the 520c since it's about $100-$300 cheaper than the Klipsch reference centers, and as I said before, the KEF sounds pretty decent with the Klipsch's. Better with the Klipsch's than the 180's, which surprised me.
post #14725 of 15016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toleedo View Post


Thanks for your opinion, I am assuming you would go with the JBL? .

Yes, I would.
post #14726 of 15016
Hi all. New to this thead. Can anyone give me an idea of what a pair of L80t's should sell for? I have a pair I'm going to sell, but they need new foam surrounds. I live in a rural area, so not sure if it will be worth it for me to drive 2 hours to drop them off to be refoamed or not. Or should I just sell them as is? I know I can get kits to do it myself, but just no time available to do so right now.

These have been my main speakers for alot of years, and I've been very happy with them. But I'm changing up several of my components, so it's time for something different.
post #14727 of 15016
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb2c View Post

Hi all. New to this thead. Can anyone give me an idea of what a pair of L80t's should sell for? I have a pair I'm going to sell, but they need new foam surrounds. I live in a rural area, so not sure if it will be worth it for me to drive 2 hours to drop them off to be refoamed or not. Or should I just sell them as is? I know I can get kits to do it myself, but just no time available to do so right now.

These have been my main speakers for alot of years, and I've been very happy with them. But I'm changing up several of my components, so it's time for something different.

There's a couple pair on eBay right now, and usually are.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p3984.m570.l1313.TR2.TRC1.A0.Xjbl+l80t&_nkw=jbl+l80t&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Most "collectors" will prefer to have them as-is so they can do their own work on them. The Lansing Heritage Forum is your best place for info and also a place to sell them.
post #14728 of 15016
Thanks rdg. I'll post over there. In the meantime, I threw them on Craigslist at $150. Will save me alot of hassle if I can sell them without having to refoam them.
post #14729 of 15016
So, my sump pump failed and my basement decided to flood last night... I had water come up about 4 inches or so and I'm not sure if my L880s are safe or not, see attached picture, you can see the waterline. Please tell me I have nothing to worry about other than letting it dry frown.gif



Also, will the wire be fine?
post #14730 of 15016
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheYC View Post

So, my sump pump failed and my basement decided to flood last night... I had water come up about 4 inches or so and I'm not sure if my L880s are safe or not, see attached picture, you can see the waterline. Please tell me I have nothing to worry about other than letting it dry frown.gif



Also, will the wire be fine?

I'd have insurance replace them.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › The OFFICIAL JBL Owners Thread