or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Harman Kardon AVR 247 & 347 discussion thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Harman Kardon AVR 247 & 347 discussion thread. - Page 7

post #181 of 5259
Quote:
Originally Posted by freejak13 View Post

Can anyone suggest the best way to get sound out to my tv from the 247? I had to throw out my old advent speakers since the foam around the woofers rotted away (pair of energy rc-10's on the way). I don't think the 247 passes audio through the hdmi out. Tried connecting rca cables to the pre-amp front LR jacks to the tv but got nothing. Any ideas?

The pre-outs will be regulated by the receiver's volume control. You could also try using the tape monitor outs which bypass the volume control.
post #182 of 5259
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLKstudios View Post

The pre-outs will be regulated by the receiver's volume control. You could also try using the tape monitor outs which bypass the volume control.

thanks. will give that a shot.
post #183 of 5259
got a little bit of a problem here...

when using my ps3 connected by hdmi, playing a game (and I think its a problem with movies, will check on that later), the sub is not used. At least, let me describe this:
I have the sub on the OSD set as 'Sub(LFE)', and my speakers as large, and the crossover at 40hz for the front (as high as 80hz on my rears). When I leave the settings like that, I get no sub usage during playback from the PS3, yet I do if I use the CD input (that is hooked up to my computer as the moment for mp3 playback, and I set 5ch stereo mode when listening to my mp3's).
I can get the sub to engage if I change the sub setting to 'Sub(L/R + LFE)', however I am worried that means the low-frequency effects that should be going to my fronts are now only going to my sub. I don't want large towers if they aren't going to be fully utilized. Is that what is happening? Or, is all the spectrum that is supposed to be played on the towers still getting played, just rather the lower bass effects are being sent to both the towers and the sub?

anyone got an idea of what I should do to fix this, if it even needs fixed?
Thanks

btw: its an AVR-247, with a Paradigm PDR-10 hooked up to it, if that were to matter at all
post #184 of 5259
And lastly on the 347 and 247 I believe...

You can use ALL the inputs, optical and/or coaxial. None share anything with each other... so, you could use all the optical and all the coaxial at the same time if you like. That was my last question to myself on these 2...lol
post #185 of 5259
finally, i got my 247.. can't wait to set it up my speakers are on its way.
post #186 of 5259
Bommai,

It wouldn't let me switch to the different modes. It strictly stayed dobly digital so it never let me change to logic 7.
post #187 of 5259
Quote:
Originally Posted by destrekor View Post

got a little bit of a problem here...

when using my ps3 connected by hdmi, playing a game (and I think its a problem with movies, will check on that later), the sub is not used. At least, let me describe this:
I have the sub on the OSD set as 'Sub(LFE)', and my speakers as large, and the crossover at 40hz for the front (as high as 80hz on my rears). When I leave the settings like that, I get no sub usage during playback from the PS3, yet I do if I use the CD input (that is hooked up to my computer as the moment for mp3 playback, and I set 5ch stereo mode when listening to my mp3's).
I can get the sub to engage if I change the sub setting to 'Sub(L/R + LFE)', however I am worried that means the low-frequency effects that should be going to my fronts are now only going to my sub. I don't want large towers if they aren't going to be fully utilized. Is that what is happening? Or, is all the spectrum that is supposed to be played on the towers still getting played, just rather the lower bass effects are being sent to both the towers and the sub?

anyone got an idea of what I should do to fix this, if it even needs fixed?
Thanks

btw: its an AVR-247, with a Paradigm PDR-10 hooked up to it, if that were to matter at all

It isn't a problem and doesn't need fixed unless it doesn't sound right to you.

I would think that the best way, with 'large' speakers is to set the sub as (l/r + LFE) and adjust the crossover manually so only the very low (say 80hz) and below go to the sub and everything else goes to your other speakers. Yes, your big speakers wouldn't be getting it all, but then how efficient would they be compared to your sub at 80hz and below?

Alternatively, you could test setting the speakers as 'small' w/the sub @LFE only and see how that sounds. It might just be a better setting. Remember, it isn't the techie stuff, it is the SOUND!!
post #188 of 5259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis M View Post

Bommai,

It wouldn't let me switch to the different modes. It strictly stayed dobly digital so it never let me change to logic 7.

There seems to be some quirkyness to DD and Logic 7. Some things that indicate DD will let me change to Logic 7 and others won't. I have no clue why.

One thing I've noticed with Logic 7 is that the bass isn't as strong as when using DD 5.1 w/IIx layered in.
post #189 of 5259
Quote:
Originally Posted by lparsons21 View Post

It isn't a problem and doesn't need fixed unless it doesn't sound right to you.

I would think that the best way, with 'large' speakers is to set the sub as (l/r + LFE) and adjust the crossover manually so only the very low (say 80hz) and below go to the sub and everything else goes to your other speakers. Yes, your big speakers wouldn't be getting it all, but then how efficient would they be compared to your sub at 80hz and below?

Alternatively, you could test setting the speakers as 'small' w/the sub @LFE only and see how that sounds. It might just be a better setting. Remember, it isn't the techie stuff, it is the SOUND!!

the techie stuff drives the quality of the sound
more room filling low-frequencies = better, at least to my eyes. I love deep sounds.

also, the fact that it isn't a problem, except for HDMI, means something is wrong somewhere. I suspect a setting change, but I am not sure what it wouldn't even be.
post #190 of 5259
Why does the HK 247 & 347 seem to have such low Surround Power Ratings (50w x 7 and 55w x 7 respectively)? Other similarly priced receivers such as the Marantz SR4001, Denon AVR887, etc... have much higher surround power ratings.
post #191 of 5259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis M View Post

Bommai,

It wouldn't let me switch to the different modes. It strictly stayed dobly digital so it never let me change to logic 7.

Hmm. That's weird. Do you have a 5.1 setup or 7.1 setup? Also, were you providing a Dolby Digital 5.1 signal while you were trying to change the sound mode to Logic 7. Also, in the OSD, is there a screen may be called "Surround Setup" where you turn on Logic 7 Global. Is this set to ON?
post #192 of 5259
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCStateFan View Post

Why does the HK 247 & 347 seem to have such low Surround Power Ratings (50w x 7 and 55w x 7 respectively)? Other similarly priced receivers such as the Marantz SR4001, Denon AVR887, etc... have much higher surround power ratings.


Because there is more to a quality amp than just Watts.
post #193 of 5259
1) if I use a component out from my DVD/cable tv DVR to avr247 for the video, does the avr247 passes the 1080i/1080p video to the hdmi out going to the TV? i use fiber optic for the audio from dvd/cable dvr to avr247.

2) if i use hdmi from DVD/cable tv DVR going to the avr247, will the avr247 pass through the 1080i/1080p video to hdmi out going to the tv?

thanks.
post #194 of 5259
Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelSmith View Post

Because there is more to a quality amp than just Watts.

Thanks but if you or someone else could provide more information / details that would be great. I'm concerned that the HK 247&347 won't be able to drive my 5.1 setup as good as some of these others with roughly 2x the power ratings.
post #195 of 5259
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCStateFan View Post

Why does the HK 247 & 347 seem to have such low Surround Power Ratings (50w x 7 and 55w x 7 respectively)? Other similarly priced receivers such as the Marantz SR4001, Denon AVR887, etc... have much higher surround power ratings.

HK uses all channels driven at the same time. Other companies don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post

Hmm. That's weird. Do you have a 5.1 setup or 7.1 setup? Also, were you providing a Dolby Digital 5.1 signal while you were trying to change the sound mode to Logic 7. Also, in the OSD, is there a screen may be called "Surround Setup" where you turn on Logic 7 Global. Is this set to ON?

I have 5.1. I tried it both ways for the default setup. Perhaps it's different on the 745?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevhd View Post

1) if I use a component out from my DVD/cable tv DVR to avr247 for the video, does the avr247 passes the 1080i/1080p video to the hdmi out going to the TV? i use fiber optic for the audio from dvd/cable dvr to avr247.

2) if i use hdmi from DVD/cable tv DVR going to the avr247, will the avr247 pass through the 1080i/1080p video to hdmi out going to the tv?

thanks.

1. No
2. Yes
post #196 of 5259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis M View Post

HK uses all channels driven at the same time. Other companies don't.



I have 5.1. I tried it both ways for the default setup. Perhaps it's different on the 745?

1. No
2. Yes



Thanks, Travis M!

So, I would need to use hdmi cables from cable/dvd to avr247 and hdmi to tv and don't need anymore fiber optic cable for audio?
post #197 of 5259
Does anyone know if the 247 is going on sale any time soon at BB?

Just got a 12% coupon in the mail...
post #198 of 5259
Kevin,

You got it. That's exactly the way I have mine at home.
post #199 of 5259
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevHD View Post

Thanks, Travis M!

So, I would need to use hdmi cables from cable/dvd to avr247 and hdmi to tv and don't need anymore fiber optic cable for audio?

Yes.
post #200 of 5259
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCStateFan View Post

Thanks but if you or someone else could provide more information / details that would be great. I'm concerned that the HK 247&347 won't be able to drive my 5.1 setup as good as some of these others with roughly 2x the power ratings.

Even if you assume twice the power is true, that means that the amp with twice the power will be able to drive your speakers louder by just 3 dB. dB is in a log scale. If you have efficient speakers (89db/W/meter and above), the 247 will drive these with ease. The best thing to do is to get it to your room and crank it up!!!
post #201 of 5259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalith View Post

Does anyone know if the 247 is going on sale any time soon at BB?

Just got a 12% coupon in the mail...

That coupon is for reg priced items anyway, so use it when you want.
post #202 of 5259
Quote:
Originally Posted by destrekor View Post

got a little bit of a problem here...

when using my ps3 connected by hdmi, playing a game (and I think its a problem with movies, will check on that later), the sub is not used. At least, let me describe this:
I have the sub on the OSD set as 'Sub(LFE)', and my speakers as large, and the crossover at 40hz for the front (as high as 80hz on my rears). When I leave the settings like that, I get no sub usage during playback from the PS3, yet I do if I use the CD input (that is hooked up to my computer as the moment for mp3 playback, and I set 5ch stereo mode when listening to my mp3's).
I can get the sub to engage if I change the sub setting to 'Sub(L/R + LFE)', however I am worried that means the low-frequency effects that should be going to my fronts are now only going to my sub. I don't want large towers if they aren't going to be fully utilized. Is that what is happening? Or, is all the spectrum that is supposed to be played on the towers still getting played, just rather the lower bass effects are being sent to both the towers and the sub?

anyone got an idea of what I should do to fix this, if it even needs fixed?
Thanks

btw: its an AVR-247, with a Paradigm PDR-10 hooked up to it, if that were to matter at all




Dont ever set your speakers to large, I have paradigm towers with built in powered subs and still set them to small. Just lower the crossover on your fronts to around 40 hz after you have set them to small, that way your towers still get lower frequencies, but all the LFE from the .1 channel is sent to the sub. The crossover is pointless when you set the tower speakers to large, setting them to large sends the towers the full range......
post #203 of 5259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis M View Post

HK uses all channels driven at the same time. Other companies don't.

Does that mean the watts per channel would be higher if you were only driving a 3.1 setup?
post #204 of 5259
Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelSmith View Post

Because there is more to a quality amp than just Watts.

Totally agree, my HK is "underpowered" compared to my Pioneer but sounds and feels WAY better. It just sounds awesome in comparison.
post #205 of 5259
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCStateFan View Post

Thanks but if you or someone else could provide more information / details that would be great. I'm concerned that the HK 247&347 won't be able to drive my 5.1 setup as good as some of these others with roughly 2x the power ratings.

As stated by several others. HK rates their amps very differently than almost everyone else. Truth is, they are simply more truthful about it.

I highly doubt there is anything under a grand that can actually drive 100w across 7 channels. HK rates their amps at all channels driven at consistent output. Most other manufacturers rate at one channel driven at peak output times the number of channels.

Pick up an HK and put it in your system for a demo I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the comparable power.

Note: With the more mellow sound and lower THD of the HKs you may actually find that the volume doesn't "seem" as loud. That's sometimes just because it's easier to listen to. Try talking over it and you might be surprised at how loud an "underpowered" amp can be.
post #206 of 5259
Thanks for all the responses, very helpful.
post #207 of 5259
Oh and notice that when they rate their power its not at a certain frequency.... compared to others who rate them certain hz ranges....
If you look at the specs that BB has, that is why they are higher than what you find from HK. But both values are in the manual.
post #208 of 5259
Hey all,
Totally new here, and just got my avr 247. I hope you can help me with 2 problems. First, using ezset, it cycles through all the speakers (set in 5.1 mode) till it gets to the sub, the sub hits one short tone, and then it just seems to sit there. The OSD says it's still trying to set the sub but nothing happens and I have to cancel. Second, the unit has started suddenly having no sound. While listening, it will be fine then suddenly like I've pressed the mute button. Shutting it off and back on seems to fix this normally. Could this be a heat issue? I thought the whole receiver would shut down if it was a heat issue.
Thanks for the help.
post #209 of 5259
Quote:
Originally Posted by manscott57 View Post

Hey all,
Totally new here, and just got my avr 247. I hope you can help me with 2 problems. First, using ezset, it cycles through all the speakers (set in 5.1 mode) till it gets to the sub, the sub hits one short tone, and then it just seems to sit there. The OSD says it's still trying to set the sub but nothing happens and I have to cancel. Second, the unit has started suddenly having no sound. While listening, it will be fine then suddenly like I've pressed the mute button. Shutting it off and back on seems to fix this normally. Could this be a heat issue? I thought the whole receiver would shut down if it was a heat issue.
Thanks for the help.


what speakers and subw do you use?
post #210 of 5259
Would anyone recommend the avr 247 with a sammy ln-t4665f lcd? Also, what are some good speakers to matchup with this receiver? Thanks.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Harman Kardon AVR 247 & 347 discussion thread.