or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › The definitive video (x264) conversion thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The definitive video (x264) conversion thread

post #1 of 290
Thread Starter 
Can we keep all converting topics in one place so advice and conversion tools are easy to access and find. I think most of us are waiting for the mkv convertion to avi/ts (H.264) so the Tvix 5100/4100 and the Tomacro limHD200i HD H.264 can play with out stuttering or any other ploblems.

Conversion tools that I Know of are:

MKV2TS current version 0.79 So far this tool has only worked on mkv samples and when it comes to convertion a full length movie it fails even if the films sample has converted ok.

MKV2VFR (avi output) then extract the audio with MKVEXTRACT and remux the audio with AVI-MUX GUI so far most of my conversions have ended up stuttering playback.

TSremux (mkv support is in the pipeline but as yet no working builds released).
post #2 of 290
This will be a great thread, in order to compile all different options and results !!

Yesterday I also ran a quick testing that I am not sure there are no references anywhere.

I used VLC wizard and converted a MKV trailer (x264 and AC3) to .TS

The result was playable on the 4100, but there was a small error in the video - perhaps more testing is required - I wonder why this is not considered as an option to be adjusted further.
post #3 of 290
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by afss View Post

This will be a great thread, in order to compile all different options and results !!

Yesterday I also ran a quick testing that I am not sure there are no references anywhere.

I used VLC wizard and converted a MKV trailer (x264 and AC3) to .TS

The result was playable on the 4100, but there was a small error in the video - perhaps more testing is required - I wonder why this is not considered as an option to be adjusted further.

Can you expand more on how you did this? step by step would be cool !

Thanks

Rich
post #4 of 290
It's actually very simple:

- Open VLC Media player (I actually have 0.8.6c)
- File - Wizard
- Choose Transcode/Save to file -> Next
- Do not choose to transcode Video/Audio
- Follow the next steps and select Mpeg TS at the last screen
- VLC will generate a TS file that is playable on the 4100

It worked for a trailer, but not sure how it will behave on a full lenght movie... There was a small error on a frame, so further testing/experimenting is required.
post #5 of 290
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpainless68 View Post

For those that missed it, here's the method:

All links are in this thread for the tools needed...

Install the K-Lite mega codec pack....

Download MKV2TS (0.79) (unpack, go to tool, and run register bat, we need the fiters)

Get MKV extract

Get Elecard Mux Pro and the AVC plugin....(I used pro beta)

Right,

step 1:

Run your MKV through MKV extract, extract both the video and audio stream..

Step 2:

Open graphedit...(program's, K-Lite Mega Codec pack, graphedit)
Drag your H.264 file into the graphedit window..., remove the AVC video decoder and video render boxs....goto graph, insert filters.....click directshow filters, scroll down to elecard sink filter and double click...name you output XXX.ts, conect the H.264 to the sink filter and press the green play button...you now have a Video only TS file.

Open elecard xmuxer pro

Goto mux, add files....grab your TS file, then add the AC3 file. Press the >> and tranfer all files to the right hand window. Select output and make sure save type as TS. Name your file XXXX.ts and press start (xmuxer can be a little odd, so you may need to add audio 1st)

There you go....job done.

Side note: don't try this on 1080p MKV's - it wont work. 99% of 720p MKV's will work fine and stay in sync with this method.

Kevin

Another one to try.
post #6 of 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richepoos View Post

Another one to try.

Cheeky...another...who do you think came up the MKV2VFR method....

The only method, so far, that works 99% of the time for 720p MKV to AVI. Now the new method for 720p MKV to TS works as good.

Have fun.

Kevin
post #7 of 290
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpainless68 View Post

Cheeky...another...who do you think came up the MKV2VFR method....

The only method, so far, that works 99% of the time for 720p MKV to AVI. Now the new method for 720p MKV to TS works as good.

Have fun.

Kevin

Sorry Kevin didnt mean to steal your thunder.. :O)

Have a question though Graphedit 9 I have when I drop the h.264 file on it it complains "could not construct graph from this file - have you installed all necessary filters?- cannot playback file the format is not supported"

What do i need to do?
post #8 of 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richepoos View Post

Sorry Kevin didnt mean to steal your thunder.. :O)

Have a question though Graphedit 9 I have when I drop the h.264 file on it it complains "could not construct graph from this file - have you installed all necessary filters?- cannot playback file the format is not supported"

What do i need to do?

have you installed the K-lite codec pack?....set FFdshow Video config to H.264/AVC to to libavcodec on?.....or Core AVC?

That would be the 1st place to look.

Kevin
post #9 of 290
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpainless68 View Post

have you installed the K-lite codec pack?....set FFdshow Video config to H.264/AVC to to libavcodec on?.....or Core AVC?

That would be the 1st place to look.

Kevin

Ok got that but cant see where I set the out put to .ts at the moment it says

Track1.h264 Output--->input Elecard Mpeg Demultiplexer AVC--->Input dump .mpg

Is this right?
post #10 of 290
Thread Starter 
Kevin,
OK on to the remux thing.

when adding the ac3 file Elecard pro says file maybe corrupt or unsupported file format...

ffshow thing again? I ve turned on ac3 to liba52 is this right?

Well it seems i struggle with the basics ...

The Ts that graphedit out putted isnt playing so some thing must be wrong with that, on top of that the ac3 file get turfed out of elecard pro ..

So I am kinda stuck ... another evening wasted on this.

Fed up.
post #11 of 290
Here's what I'm doing to get h264/AC3 MKV video to stream to my Linkplayer2:

1) MKVExtract to demux the audio and video stream

2) AVC2AVI to convert the raw h264 video stream to AVI

3) VirtualDubMod to transcode the h264 stream which now resides in the AVI container (I'm transcoding to either Xvid or Divx 6.6). During the video transcode, I also remux the AC3 audio stream back into the new AVI.

So far it works like a charm....

As an aside, I just wish that there was some form of transcoding media server that could read MKV and transcode the h264 to something my LinkPlayer2 could play. If only VLC had a uPNP media serving option....
post #12 of 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by wazoo View Post

Here's what I'm doing to get h264/AC3 MKV video to stream to my Linkplayer2:

1) MKVExtract to demux the audio and video stream

2) AVC2AVI to convert the raw h264 video stream to AVI

3) VirtualDubMod to transcode the h264 stream which now resides in the AVI container (I'm transcoding to either Xvid or Divx 6.6). During the video transcode, I also remux the AC3 audio stream back into the new AVI.

So far it works like a charm....

As an aside, I just wish that there was some form of transcoding media server that could read MKV and transcode the h264 to something my LinkPlayer2 could play. If only VLC had a uPNP media serving option....

How long does this take for a 2 hour movie??

What setting did you choose in the DVIX 6.6 prophiles??

What compression setting did you choose in virtualdubmod in the "save as" "video mode "?? (the default is uncompressed RGB...

Thanx...
post #13 of 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by muad'dib View Post

How long does this take for a 2 hour movie??

What setting did you choose in the DVIX 6.6 prophiles??

What compression setting did you choose in virtualdubmod in the "save as" "video mode "?? (the default is uncompressed RGB...

Thanx...

I just did a one hour 24 minute movie and it took about 2.5 hours on Divx and 3 hours using Xvid.... but the resolution is HD 720p. I have an Athlon 4800+ X2 system with 2 gig ram.

I am using the HD profile for 720p on Divx 6.6. On VDM, hit the CHANGE button where is says RGB to select the codec you want to transcode into. Also make sure FULL PROCESSING is selected for the video and that STREAM COPY is selected for the audio to preserve the AC3.

Hope that helps...
post #14 of 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by wazoo View Post

I just did a one hour 24 minute movie and it took about 2.5 hours on Divx and 3 hours using Xvid.... but the resolution is HD 720p. I have an Athlon 4800+ X2 system with 2 gig ram.

I am using the HD profile for 720p on Divx 6.6. On VDM, hit the CHANGE button where is says RGB to select the codec you want to transcode into. Also make sure FULL PROCESSING is selected for the video and that STREAM COPY is selected for the audio to preserve the AC3.

Hope that helps...

Thanx for the quick resonce..


So, with the Dvix 6.6 HD profile, did you tweak any setting, or just use the defaults??

How is the final picture quality as compared to source??

Thanx again..
post #15 of 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by muad'dib View Post

Thanx for the quick resonce..


So, with the Dvix 6.6 HD profile, did you tweak any setting, or just use the defaults??

How is the final picture quality as compared to source??

Thanx again..

Nope. Just used the default...

I see very little difference between the original H264 stream and the transcoded Divx 6.6 stream. With xvid.... I cannot notice any difference.
post #16 of 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by wazoo View Post

Nope. Just used the default...

I see very little difference between the original H264 stream and the transcoded Divx 6.6 stream. With xvid.... I cannot notice any difference.

For Xvid, what setting did you chose there??

Aslo, any audio sync issues?? or how did you fix??

Thanx again..
post #17 of 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richepoos View Post

Kevin,
OK on to the remux thing.

when adding the ac3 file Elecard pro says file maybe corrupt or unsupported file format...

ffshow thing again? I ve turned on ac3 to liba52 is this right?

Well it seems i struggle with the basics ...

The Ts that graphedit out putted isnt playing so some thing must be wrong with that, on top of that the ac3 file get turfed out of elecard pro ..

So I am kinda stuck ... another evening wasted on this.

Fed up.

Try going into ac3 filter (under K-lite) and setting it to 5.1 24bit. Other than that, try the codec tweak tool in K-Lite

Kevin
post #18 of 290
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpainless68 View Post

Try going into ac3 filter (under K-lite) and setting it to 5.1 24bit. Other than that, try the codec tweak tool in K-Lite

Kevin

Tried that, also redownloaded the ac3 codec and re-installed that still no go..

Searched on the elecard forum ... still no luck.
post #19 of 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richepoos View Post

Tried that, also redownloaded the ac3 codec and re-installed that still no go..

Searched on the elecard forum ... still no luck.


MMMmmm...xmuxer can be a little flaky....try adding video 1st, then audio....and audio 1st then video......if that still does not work....try another file...

I've posted a sample of a TS using this method in the LimHD thread...

Kevin
post #20 of 290
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpainless68 View Post

MMMmmm...xmuxer can be a little flaky....try adding video 1st, then audio....and audio 1st then video......if that still does not work....try another file...

I've posted a sample of a TS using this method in the LimHD thread...

Kevin

Funny thing is if it try all this on another pc the ac3 file goes into xmuxer and so does the .ts but when I hit the start button it just sits there do nothing ( no progress indication movement or hdd activity) also I can play the ac3 file ok on both pc's in vlc and it seems ok ... go figure

I think xmuxer pro is extremely flakey like alot of these homebrew apps for transcoding remuxing etc ... Just end up pulling your hair out ..

So to sum it up ... nothing works
But thanks for trying to help.

Rich
post #21 of 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richepoos View Post

Funny thing is if it try all this on another pc the ac3 file goes into xmuxer and so does the .ts but when I hit the start button it just sits there do nothing ( no progress indication movement or hdd activity) also I can play the ac3 file ok on both pc's in vlc and it seems ok ... go figure

I think xmuxer pro is extremely flakey like alot of these homebrew apps for transcoding remuxing etc ... Just end up pulling your hair out ..

So to sum it up ... nothing works
But thanks for trying to help.

Rich

You've got the AVC plugin right?

K
post #22 of 290
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpainless68 View Post

You've got the AVC plugin right?

K

Yes
post #23 of 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richepoos View Post

Yes

What version of Xmuxer are you using....I use Xmuxer Pro Beta 5

K
post #24 of 290
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpainless68 View Post

What version of Xmuxer are you using....I use Xmuxer Pro Beta 5

K

Kev,
Registrator is reporting:
AVC plugin 2.0.70420
Xmuxer Pro 2.2.70328

Rich
post #25 of 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richepoos View Post

Kev,
Registrator is reporting:
AVC plugin 2.0.70420
Xmuxer Pro 2.2.70328

Rich


Go to the the elecard site and get Xmuxer pro beta 5.....try that

K
post #26 of 290
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpainless68 View Post

Go to the the elecard site and get Xmuxer pro beta 5.....try that

K

Done that.

I can now add 1 file to mux but when I add a second file it hangs .. Does not seem to matter which order I add them, either video or audio.

It seem ok with just 1 file..

grumble grumble )

Rich
post #27 of 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richepoos View Post

Done that.

I can now add 1 file to mux but when I add a second file it hangs .. Does not seem to matter which order I add them, either video or audio.

It seem ok with just 1 file..

grumble grumble )

Rich

Have you uninstalled the old version and rebooted?

K
post #28 of 290
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpainless68 View Post

Have you uninstalled the old version and rebooted?

K

Kev,

Yes to reboot and uninstall.

If I add both files in the left hand panel then do the >> button to move both to the right it seems ok ... progress ...

Now I set the output and hit start right?
I am guessing this could take a while?



Rich
post #29 of 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richepoos View Post

Kev,

Yes to reboot and uninstall.

If I add both files in the left hand panel then do the >> button to move both to the right it seems ok ... progress ...

Now I set the output and hit start right?
I am guessing this could take a while?



Rich

Yes....this is what I said to do in my method...gets round the falkey issues....how long, that depends if its a clip or full movies. It's a 720p MKV right?

K
post #30 of 290
Let me know when it's done and you've tested the file. Sometimes you may need to play the completed file in windows media player, and not classic....then try on yer streamer.

K
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › The definitive video (x264) conversion thread