or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Hampton Roads, Va - Verizon
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hampton Roads, Va - Verizon - Page 69

post #2041 of 2073
That IS a shocker! FiOS losing some of its allure? I'm happy with my setup though not the best price-wise (DirecTV with FiOS Internet and phone, and VZW). Price the main reasoning for you?
post #2042 of 2073
Internet is great, TV just isn't good for me. Locals are top notch, but the Comcast/NBC Universal and Scripps stations suffer from major macroblocking and color break up during fast transitions. Has been that way for a year or two.
post #2043 of 2073
i would call 1800verizon and see if they can work any deals etc.

not sure what speeds cable offers. but when i was at a friends house near birdneck area my VZW LTE was faster than his wired cable connection.

LTE i hit like 25MPBS down and his cable was 15-17MPBS down. this was a Sunday morning after church, watching NFL Sunday. i could only imaging peek hours ... i ran the test like 3 times cause i couldn't believe the results.

again cable may have other speeds, he could have old modem, im not sure but that was my recent experience
post #2044 of 2073
Ya, what I really need is the number for retention. I used to have it but I forgot to backup my chat transcript before wiping my laptop.
post #2045 of 2073
Quote:
Originally Posted by kes601 View Post

I never thought I'd say this, but at this point I may switch to Cox in March. Based on the bundles right now, Cox has Vz beat price-wise in a big way. Once my contract expires (and I lose my $30 in loyal customer discounts), Cox will be a about $65 cheaper per month for more channels and same download speed (slower upload).
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtv757 View Post

i would call 1800verizon and see if they can work any deals etc.

not sure what speeds cable offers. but when i was at a friends house near birdneck area my VZW LTE was faster than his wired cable connection.

LTE i hit like 25MPBS down and his cable was 15-17MPBS down. this was a Sunday morning after church, watching NFL Sunday. i could only imaging peek hours ... i ran the test like 3 times cause i couldn't believe the results.

again cable may have other speeds, he could have old modem, im not sure but that was my recent experience

This is an idea. I'm sure VZ wants to keep you. Not sure if they could go as low as saving you $65/mo though. And there's probably nothing they can do about the macroblocking. Either VZ is cramming 3 HDs per QAM or its getting the signal from those providers that way. I heard A+E Networks (A&E, Lifetime, History, lmn, bio, H2, ci, Military History, lrw,) was sending their signals to providers noticeably compressed nothing from Scripps (HGTV, Food Network, DIY, Cooking Channel, GAC, Travel Channel)...
post #2046 of 2073
Funny thing is that A&E is actually one of the best look channels. At this point the Scripps channels are the worst. Comcast Universal is not nearly as bad as they used to be. I think Vz did some rearranging of QAMs when they rolled out their last batch of channels that may have helped some of them.

As of now, Scripps is about the worst set of channels I have. I really wonder if it could be a CO issue.

Do you know if Scripps sends their signal as H.264/MPEG4 or MPEG2? I think part of Vz's problem is that more channels are being sent to them in MPEG4 format and they have to convert the majority to MPEG2. The older boxes don't support MPEG4 and as of now only channels in the top Ultimate Tier are being sent as MPEG4.
post #2047 of 2073
I think u change box at the fios store on vb blvd.
post #2048 of 2073
Be VERY careful if you do talk with Verizon about getting a better deal. I went to the Blvd store and asked the question since I was still on the original plan of 4 years ago. Not only do I not have a better plan like the guy said I would, but I got a new account number since I now had to go to digital phone. I've been having a heck of a time with them over their attempt to over charge me $54. What I learned from that was do not, under any circumstances, pay any part of any bill they send under an old account number.

On another note, COX may say they have comparable speeds, but from what I understand, they are still under the shared model where your neighbors can steal your bandwidth. COX has a heck of a time trying to compete with Verizon's pure fiber from the back end to your house.

- Tom
post #2049 of 2073
In case you missed it: Verizon to deploy FiOS Media Server at end of Q1 - FierceCable
http://www.fiercecable.com/story/verizon-begin-deploying-fios-media-server-end-q1/2014-01-30

Of course, we've heard this song before
post #2050 of 2073
I have been a Cox customer since their inception. With the onslaught of rate hikes, I am seriously looking to switch to Fios...I live in Portsmouth,

Would like to hear some thoughts....Reliability, speed, picture quality, tech support, customer service, etc..

I am looking at the Extreme HD, 75/25 internet and phone....3 HD boxes and one HDDVR box.

I have been quoted a price of about $154/month(Not including the taxes and other fees)

Thanks,

Bill
post #2051 of 2073
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdxorf View Post

I have been a Cox customer since their inception. With the onslaught of rate hikes, I am seriously looking to switch to Fios...
I have FiOS Internet and Digital Voice...

PHONE: IF you switch, VZ will want (I think force) you to take Digital Voice (DV) instead of plain-old-telephone-service (POTS). The only downside for us (and probably many others) was DV requires 10-digit dialing out even if you're calling your neighbor. This did trip us up early-on especially the wifey. Now, we're just use to dialing 10 digits out. DV has some extra features which we never had with POTS.

INTERNET: NEVER has our Internet gone out OR slowed down during peak hours (that I know of). Had it since 4/2008... I use it for business ALL day long...

TV: Don't have it. I have DirecTV... Their NFL Sunday Ticket has kept me with them...
post #2052 of 2073
Quote:
Originally Posted by VARTV View Post


PHONE: IF you switch, VZ will want (I think force) you to take Digital Voice (DV) instead of plain-old-telephone-service (POTS). The only downside for us (and probably many others) was DV requires 10-digit dialing out even if you're calling your neighbor. This did trip us up early-on especially the wifey. Now, we're just use to dialing 10 digits out. DV has some extra features which we never had with POTS.
I have been corrected!! There no need for 10-digit dialing anymore with FiOS' DV... Now, I did notice that there is a 1-2 second delay dialing the 7-digit number vs the 10-digit number after punching in the last number... No biggie, I guess... Bob
post #2053 of 2073
Quote:
Originally Posted by VARTV View Post

I have been corrected!! There no need for 10-digit dialing anymore with FiOS' DV... Now, I did notice that there is a 1-2 second delay dialing the 7-digit number vs the 10-digit number after punching in the last number... No biggie, I guess... Bob

Thanks for the info, Bob....

With the bundle I am looking at and my corporate discount, I will be saving about $35/month....The only bitch is going to be changing all the emails on all the accounts and notifications that I and my wife get...

Once again, Thanks

Bill
post #2054 of 2073
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdxorf View Post

Thanks for the info, Bob....

With the bundle I am looking at and my corporate discount, I will be saving about $35/month....The only bitch is going to be changing all the emails on all the accounts and notifications that I and my wife get...

Once again, Thanks

Bill
Had to do the same thing when I dumped Cox back in '08. I was able to keep my cox.net email going for several months AFTER jumping to FiOS. Not sure if you can do that anymore...
post #2055 of 2073
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdxorf View Post

..........The only bitch is going to be changing all the emails on all the accounts and notifications that I and my wife get...

Word of advice to any and all who tie their main email address to the internet service offering - DON'T. Use Gmail, Yahoo, anyone but the one who provides your internet. This is one of the main reasons.

I have everything with FIOS. The TV quality is much better than what I had with DirecTV and what I've seen with Cox. Verizon doesn't have to compress their signal as much as they do. OTA is still the highest quality you can get, though. Would I recommend FIOS TV to friends? I still feel a little burned by the recent experience I've had with them.
post #2056 of 2073
Quote:
Originally Posted by tojohnso View Post

Word of advice to any and all who tie their main email address to the internet service offering - DON'T. Use Gmail, Yahoo, anyone but the one who provides your internet. This is one of the main reasons.

I have everything with FIOS. The TV quality is much better than what I had with DirecTV and what I've seen with Cox. Verizon doesn't have to compress their signal as much as they do. OTA is still the highest quality you can get, though. Would I recommend FIOS TV to friends? I still feel a little burned by the recent experience I've had with them.

So why not tie your email with your internet provider?? Not sure I understand the reasoning with your comment.

Also, what type "recent experience" did you have??
post #2057 of 2073
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdxorf View Post

So why not tie your email with your internet provider?? Not sure I understand the reasoning with your comment.

Also, what type "recent experience" did you have??

You don't tie your primary internet email to your service provider because when it's time to cut ties, you either have to figure out if you can keep paying them to use the email address or go through the major undertaking of converting web sites and people you gave your email to another one. Repeat when you do it again. There are too many free email services out there to let that happen.

My equipment had a failure. When I went in to the store on the blvd, they happily switched it out and advised me I should switch out my DVR when I had the chance. I went back later and upgraded my DVR. At that time, I asked the guy to look at my plan and see if the newer plans would save me money. Oh yeah.....absolutely! More channels too! He said my monthly would go from around $188 to $165/mo. Fast forward - received a bill for $54 - paid it. Received another bill for $166 but questioned why the $54 didn't credit to the $166 since it appeared that was how it should have been. Spent hours on the phone going back and forth between billing and finance (who could see I paid the $54 but wasn't credited anywhere). That was back in June. I've spent a total of about 8-12 hours on the phone trying to get it cleared up. I went to the store on the blvd who said they couldn't do anything, I needed to call Verizon's 'A' team. I did that. Spent another couple hours on the phone with the same people I spoke with before. So far - my bill still shows me owing $54 and my normal monthly charges are still in the $180's. In addition, I have the digital phone which we didn't like due to the 10 digit dialing requirement that has since subsided.

In a nutshell, with Verizon I'm stuck with a bill that says I owe more than I do and a plan that isn't any better than what I was paying before. Then comes the time just prior to the Olympics. I found a channel "Universal Sports" that showed all the winter world championships. Had been watching it since the 1st weekend of January. The weekend before the Olympics at a key time of the competitions, the channel suddenly doesn't work. I contacted support who stated it was a freeview for months but was now part of the sports package. I thought that was a bit shady and added to my dissatisfaction.

With all that said - would I go back to DirecTV or Cox? I've been thinking about it. But only for TV and phone - the internet can't be beat. At least right now - I use Netflix and this net neutrality deal is actually affecting the service as the Netflix provider and Verizon are apparently having differences of opinion. So, the best connection to streaming Netflix isn't always there. Could it also be that Verizon and Red Box are in bed together? Could be. I'll stop now.........
post #2058 of 2073
Quote:
Originally Posted by tojohnso View Post

You don't tie your primary internet email to your service provider because when it's time to cut ties, you either have to figure out if you can keep paying them to use the email address or go through the major undertaking of converting web sites and people you gave your email to another one. Repeat when you do it again. There are too many free email services out there to let that happen.

My equipment had a failure. When I went in to the store on the blvd, they happily switched it out and advised me I should switch out my DVR when I had the chance. I went back later and upgraded my DVR. At that time, I asked the guy to look at my plan and see if the newer plans would save me money. Oh yeah.....absolutely! More channels too! He said my monthly would go from around $188 to $165/mo. Fast forward - received a bill for $54 - paid it. Received another bill for $166 but questioned why the $54 didn't credit to the $166 since it appeared that was how it should have been. Spent hours on the phone going back and forth between billing and finance (who could see I paid the $54 but wasn't credited anywhere). That was back in June. I've spent a total of about 8-12 hours on the phone trying to get it cleared up. I went to the store on the blvd who said they couldn't do anything, I needed to call Verizon's 'A' team. I did that. Spent another couple hours on the phone with the same people I spoke with before. So far - my bill still shows me owing $54 and my normal monthly charges are still in the $180's. In addition, I have the digital phone which we didn't like due to the 10 digit dialing requirement that has since subsided.

In a nutshell, with Verizon I'm stuck with a bill that says I owe more than I do and a plan that isn't any better than what I was paying before. Then comes the time just prior to the Olympics. I found a channel "Universal Sports" that showed all the winter world championships. Had been watching it since the 1st weekend of January. The weekend before the Olympics at a key time of the competitions, the channel suddenly doesn't work. I contacted support who stated it was a freeview for months but was now part of the sports package. I thought that was a bit shady and added to my dissatisfaction.

With all that said - would I go back to DirecTV or Cox? I've been thinking about it. But only for TV and phone - the internet can't be beat. At least right now - I use Netflix and this net neutrality deal is actually affecting the service as the Netflix provider and Verizon are apparently having differences of opinion. So, the best connection to streaming Netflix isn't always there. Could it also be that Verizon and Red Box are in bed together? Could be. I'll stop now.........

Wow....Thanks for all the info....Didn't mean to open a can of worms...Totally agree with the email reasoning...Honestly, I have never thought about it until now that I am in the situation of possibly changing providers. Overall, I am really pleased with the service, channels, internet, etc with Cox. It's just a cost issue. I am going to call Cox and see they can adjust my bill to get close to the Fios estimate. If they don't then Fios here I come.
post #2059 of 2073
I have watched Cox tend to have issues with increasing their costs more often than I've seen with other providers. That's one thing I'll give to Verizon, I haven't seen a rate increase in quite some time.
post #2060 of 2073
Just saw the FIOS commercial comparing there speeds against Cox saying that they are faster but in the fine print they was using 500mb download to Cox 100mb. That isnt a fair test at all. Come on what home needs 500mbps.
post #2061 of 2073
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyNor View Post

Just saw the FIOS commercial comparing there speeds against Cox saying that they are faster but in the fine print they was using 500mb download to Cox 100mb. That isnt a fair test at all. Come on what home needs 500mbps.

I would take your challenge and ask who needs more than 15-20 Mbps to their home? You are not getting any faster than what the serving web site (and now, what the serving web site and your provider agree to) can provide. Even with 6/7 devices in my house, I never get close to the 23 Mbps my speed meter says I get.
post #2062 of 2073
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyNor View Post

Just saw the FIOS commercial comparing there speeds against Cox saying that they are faster but in the fine print they was using 500mb download to Cox 100mb. That isnt a fair test at all. Come on what home needs 500mbps.
Yeah, they should have used the same speeds... say... at 8 at night. Now that would have been fair...
post #2063 of 2073
New News Channel 116
Wasn't aware that this channel was here, until by boss asked me what I knew about it. So, I thought I would pass it along to y'all, too

It was announced last year. I read that but forgot:

One America News Cable News Network Announces Debut in Collaboration with The Washington Times
http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/marketing/2013/may/30/one-america-news-cable-news-network-announces-debu/

Wikipedia says:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_America_News_Network

Now Herring Broadcasting may already be known to you via their flagship station AWE (formerly WealthTV) 169/669
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AWE_%28TV_network%29

starrin
post #2064 of 2073
Just a heads up for subscribers on here. Verizon is now offering a $20/month discount for two years if you have FiOS TV, Internet, and Phone and Verizon wireless w/a smartphone. Bills remain separate but you receive $20 off your FiOS bill. Signing up is just a matter of putting in your landline # and your wireless #.

http://campaign.verizon.com/doubleup/?incid=INT-VZT-DBLUPNSAVE-VZW-FIOSLP
post #2065 of 2073
I think 50 meg data (minimum)and a smartphone on ur vzw account are the only requirements . more details at verizon.com/doubleup
post #2066 of 2073
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtv757 View Post

I think 50 meg data (minimum)and a smartphone on ur vzw account are the only requirements . more details at verizon.com/doubleup

The pricing is amazing (compared to what I'm currently doing ~ DirecTV, FiOS DV and Internet, and VZW).

My current billing for FiOS:

FiOS Digital Voice Unlimited 30.00
FiOS Internet 75/35 74.99
24 Mo. FiOS Digital Voice Discount thru Jun 27, 2014 -5.00
24-Month Contract Discount thru Jul 26, 2014 -5.00

Is there a way to get their TV but not use it???
post #2067 of 2073
Verizon Quantum TV.

Well, they did finally announce at the end of the first quarter, like they said they would

Verizon Said
http://newscenter.verizon.com/residential/news-articles/2014/04-01-calming-the-family-feud/

Engadget played it this way:
http://www.engadget.com/2014/04/01/verizon-fios-media-server-quantum-tv/#continued

There are details online in the forums

So, if you want some, I guess we can start beating on the doors of the store, or online, for a date for this area

Information courtesy of
Roy Starrin
National/International News Editor
www.VirginiaNewsSource.com
starrin@virginianewssource.com
post #2068 of 2073
Quote:
Originally Posted by VARTV View Post

I have been corrected!! There no need for 10-digit dialing anymore with FiOS' DV... Now, I did notice that there is a 1-2 second delay dialing the 7-digit number vs the 10-digit number after punching in the last number... No biggie, I guess... Bob

Its due to the routing software waiting to time out and then act on the digits...wanna speed 7 digit dialing up? Add a # to the end...that tells the gear End of Digits....and it processes the call immediately. Otherwise, it waits 2-3 seconds for more digits, doesnt see them, times out and processes the digits received...
post #2069 of 2073
Speaking of fast speeds, This is what I got via vzw LTE in NYC (@citi field)
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/788527792

79 down 18 up
That's faster then most cable companies lol "can't get that with cable"
post #2070 of 2073
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtv757 View Post

Speaking of fast speeds, This is what I got via vzw LTE in NYC (@citi field)
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/788527792

79 down 18 up
That's faster then most cable companies lol "can't get that with cable"
Juiced up FiOS WiFi?

I did get these results on my iPhone back in Feb. The tower was a couple hundred feet in front of me at the VB Courthouse...

A detailed image for this result can be found here: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/769753419

Test Date: Feb 17, 2014 5:05 PM
Download: 48.41 Mbps
Upload: 9.90 Mbps
Ping: 56 ms
Connection Type: Cellular
Server: Richmond, VA
External IP: xx.xxx.xxx.xx
Internal IP: xx.xxx.xxx.xxx
Latitude: 36.7532
Longitude: -76.0558
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&q=36.753171,-76.055796
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Hampton Roads, Va - Verizon