or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › ATI Radeon HD 2X00 (2400,2600,2900) series owners thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ATI Radeon HD 2X00 (2400,2600,2900) series owners thread - Page 167

post #4981 of 6505
Quote:
Originally Posted by dufflover View Post

But just to ask again, True or False that the 2400XT should be able to handle "fancy" de-interlacing on 1080i MPEG2?

I would guess yes with sw decoding+hw deinterlacing. My 2400pro was just about able to manage it with h264/vc1, where the decoding wasn't being done on the shaders either. The 2400xt is a whole heap faster, after all.
post #4982 of 6505
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyrdic View Post

screen shot here:
tirnanog.fate.jp/tmp/scan/8.4test/

Lol - expansion with overlay, not with VMR9. Jeez.

At a guess, it's down to hardware acceleration/mixermode gubbins. If you play around with different VMR9 apps, I'd guess you'll find some will expand. Those that don't, the colours are usually screwy as hell (doesn't show on grayscale ramps, but try 75% colour patterns......)

The ATI screwup is a lot worse with XP - at least Vista is a little more consistent, because EVR never blocks expansion.
post #4983 of 6505
Quote:
Originally Posted by arfster View Post

Lol - expansion with overlay, not with VMR9. Jeez.

At a guess, it's down to hardware acceleration/mixermode gubbins. If you play around with different VMR9 apps, I'd guess you'll find some will expand. Those that don't, the colours are usually screwy as hell (doesn't show on grayscale ramps, but try 75% colour patterns......)

The ATI screwup is a lot worse with XP - at least Vista is a little more consistent, because EVR never blocks expansion.

Hi arfster,

thanks for you comments about the new 8.4. Seems that I will stay with 7.11 so far because of expansion problems. I also tried 8.3 but 7.11 does much better denoising. It is not so effective however the ghosting introduced is much less visible with 7.11.

grubi.
post #4984 of 6505
Quote:
Originally Posted by arfster View Post

I would guess yes with sw decoding+hw deinterlacing.

I haven't formatted yet, but gave the FFDShow trick another go and it only half works - literally - the right half the screen is frozen ).

But just reading up more I'm thinking of upping to Vista to go EVR since VMR9 seems to be big fat load on the card at the moment.
post #4985 of 6505
Quote:
Originally Posted by arfster View Post

Well, knock me over and colour me bright pink with lipstick. They actually fixed something.....

SD now expands the same as HD by default! Doesn't make a big differerence really, it's just the same as usebt601csc=1, but nice they finally responded to my eons of arguing with their tech support. Only took them 9 months to do anything about it.

Multi-display acceleration bug still exists, so you still need vforceuvdvcd1=1 and vforceuvdh264=1. I'm told this has been fixed in "upcoming versions", although whether that means next month or next year.....



Edit: not sure whether SD expansion will happen in XP VMR9, you might need to experiment. In Vista EVR always expands regardless of acceleration or anything else, so it's not an issue.

Maybe perhaps in another 9months, ATi will finally fix their MPEG2 problem
post #4986 of 6505
Quote:
Originally Posted by arfster View Post

Those that don't, the colours are usually screwy as hell (doesn't show on grayscale ramps, but try 75% colour patterns......)

Test sample is including SMPTE colorbar
I'm looking forward to your 8.5beta test result.
again, thanks a lot
post #4987 of 6505
Leaked build 8.49 beta for XP34/64 and Vista/64 - that build number suggest roughly between Cat8.5 and Cat8.6, so it's possibly pretty buggy.

http://www.station-drivers.com/page/ati%20catalyst.htm

Wasn't me that leaked it, honest.
post #4988 of 6505
Awesome. I'm going to try these on my XP install and see if HA works with HD-DVD on my 780G
post #4989 of 6505
Has anyone tried the new 8.4 driver with an AGP card yet? Does it install/work ok without any tweaks?
I noticed on the driver site, it no longer says 'PCIe only' for the HD series..

Cheers.
post #4990 of 6505
Leaked build 8.49 beta for XP32 = HA working on 780G under any Hz setting.

****ing finally!

Just a matter of getting stable playback in powerDVD now. It doesn't seem to like reclock being forced to make HD-DVD's run at 24FPS.
post #4991 of 6505
@arfster
Thanks for the 8.49beta info.
i will post a test result soon.
Code:
Driver Packaging Version 8.49-080409a-062638E-AMI
Catalyst Version 08.1
Provider ATI Technologies Inc.
2D Driver Version 6.14.10.6806
2D Driver File Path System/CurrentControlSet/Control/Video/{311B561F-B3D3-48C9-8D01-CF277810EE81}/0000
Direct3D Version 6.14.10.0583
OpenGL Version  6.14.10.7536    
Catalyst  Control Center Version 2008.0409.2231.38463
(sorry, i want to do the post of a url,so i divide it in twice.)
post #4992 of 6505
8.49 colour expansion seems fine for me.
test result:
http://tirnanog.fate.jp/tmp/scan/8.49test/
so, i will use this to the next monthly release.
@arfster, Thank you very much.
post #4993 of 6505
Quote:
Originally Posted by arfster View Post

In 8.3 Vista you needed trdenoise to switch it off, because switching it off in CCC didn't work. Does XP have the CCC sliders also?

not yet.

Quote:



Your AVIVO issue will prolly just be a filter priority one. Do you need AVIVO for any particular reason though? Cyberlink works fine for me - the only useful thing avivo does is the sw decoding+hw deinterlacing trick.

[/quote]

I want to give it a try. I thought, cool, the AVIVO Decoder is worked on pretty much since with every release update of CCC a new version of the AVIVO Codec came out. May you explain this trick with SW Decoding/HW Deinterlacing trick? IMO PowerDVD 7 does this out of the box...
post #4994 of 6505
Quote:
Originally Posted by topcaser View Post

not yet.

That's no entirely true. You can make the sliders visible by setting the _NA registry entries to "0".

grubi.
post #4995 of 6505
Does anyone here know why I would be getting faint scan lines on my DVD and VIDEO.TS playback? As well as playback using MyNetflix?

Is there anything I can use to reduce this? They aren't very intense at all, but I don't notice them using my cable box so I know it is has something to do with my HTPC and it is frustrating. Here are my specs...

ATI HD 2600XT
E6750 @ 2.66Ghz
4Gigs Ram
Vista Home Premium 32bit
Samsung LNT-4061F 1080P

I use Power DVD 7.3 for playback with no ffdshow or whatever.

Any idea? Thanks everyone!
post #4996 of 6505
Quote:
Originally Posted by avekevin View Post

Does anyone know if the MPC internal H264 filter is available as a DirectShow filter?


In fact it is. Each filter can be downloaded in standalone from the mpc homecinema website. I am currently using MPC Video Decoder in VMC for mkv and it works great.
post #4997 of 6505
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrundleFly View Post

Does anyone here know why I would be getting faint scan lines on my DVD and VIDEO.TS playback? As well as playback using MyNetflix?

Is there anything I can use to reduce this? They aren't very intense at all, but I don't notice them using my cable box so I know it is has something to do with my HTPC and it is frustrating. Here are my specs...

ATI HD 2600XT
E6750 @ 2.66Ghz
4Gigs Ram
Vista Home Premium 32bit
Samsung LNT-4061F 1080P

I use Power DVD 7.3 for playback with no ffdshow or whatever.

Any idea? Thanks everyone!


Is this a deinterlacing issue?
post #4998 of 6505
Quote:


I want to give it a try. I thought, cool, the AVIVO Decoder is worked on pretty much since with every release update of CCC a new version of the AVIVO Codec came out. May you explain this trick with SW Decoding/HW Deinterlacing trick? IMO PowerDVD 7 does this out of the box...

Yes, it's exactly that - however you can't do that outside PDVD, even if you're using the cyberlink mpeg2 decoder. The filter's switch is either on for both, or off for both.

The best way to test a decoder without permanent changes to your setup is with DXVA Checker. Open a file with it, it'll tell you which codecs provide acceleration, and whether dxva1/dxva2. Choose a codec and play it via evr/vmr9, it'll tell you whether HA is on, what mode of deinterlacing is in use, and cpu/frame rate to boot. Pretty much ideal for quick testing :-)
post #4999 of 6505
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyrdic View Post

8.49 colour expansion seems fine for me.
test result:
http://tirnanog.fate.jp/tmp/scan/8.49test/
so, i will use this to the next monthly release.
@arfster, Thank you very much.

Thanks for those - looks like expansion is behaving OK then. Untweaked VMR9 doesn't expand, and smpte75% is around 180ish. Tweaked to expand, it goes to 190/191ish.

How is it with HD?
post #5000 of 6505
Quote:
Originally Posted by arfster View Post

8.4 official: 0804071224-8.476-080328a-061008C
8.3 hotfix: 0803270817-8.471.1.1-080326a-061801E

....and

8.4 hotfix: 0804110933-8.476-080328a-062409E
post #5001 of 6505
Quote:
Originally Posted by arfster View Post

Thanks for those - looks like expansion is behaving OK then. Untweaked VMR9 doesn't expand, and smpte75% is around 180ish. Tweaked to expand, it goes to 190/191ish.

How is it with HD?

8.49 also allow unique scaling factors at each resolution / refreshrate combination. Previously my drivers (8.1 and lower) only allowed the scaling to be set at 60hz, this was then applied to 50hz and 24hz, may be useful to 1080p HDTV owners. This feature may be present in 8.2, 8.3, and 8.4 but for a few months I lost the re-install drivers bug..........
post #5002 of 6505
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockySpieler View Post

8.49 also allow unique scaling factors at each resolution / refreshrate combination. Previously my drivers (8.1 and lower) only allowed the scaling to be set at 60hz, this was then applied to 50hz and 24hz, may be useful to 1080p HDTV owners. This feature may be present in 8.2, 8.3, and 8.4 but for a few months I lost the re-install drivers bug..........

Hmm I don't think it has been present in any previous drivers. It's something I've wanted for a while now. However there's no 8.49 for 32bit Vista available. Ah well will have to wait.
post #5003 of 6505
Quote:
Originally Posted by arfster View Post

The best way to test a decoder without permanent changes to your setup is with DXVA Checker. Open a file with it, it'll tell you which codecs provide acceleration, and whether dxva1/dxva2. Choose a codec and play it via evr/vmr9, it'll tell you whether HA is on, what mode of deinterlacing is in use, and cpu/frame rate to boot. Pretty much ideal for quick testing :-)

Where do you download DXVA Checker from? Who created and or maintains it? Thank you.
post #5004 of 6505
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbarsotti View Post

Where do you download DXVA Checker from? Who created and or maintains it? Thank you.

http://bluesky23.hp.infoseek.co.jp/i...ml#DXVAChecker

Just a simple little util really, but probably the most useful for decoder/driver issues out there.
post #5005 of 6505
sorry to jump right in here. I have a ATI 2600XT I want to overclock it a little. When I try to make the changes in CCC it goes right bact to default (the min setting) How do I overclock?

the problem I'm having is that from the start I had this horizontal line. I have a Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H and I tried the onboard graphics at first. So I upgraded tp the 2600xt and works great in power dvd but in showtime or arcsoft TMT I still get the line. It seems to be worse when there is a lot of action. So not having any more options I want to try overclocking
post #5006 of 6505
Quote:
Originally Posted by arfster View Post

Yes, it's exactly that - however you can't do that outside PDVD, even if you're using the cyberlink mpeg2 decoder. The filter's switch is either on for both, or off for both.

The best way to test a decoder without permanent changes to your setup is with DXVA Checker. Open a file with it, it'll tell you which codecs provide acceleration, and whether dxva1/dxva2. Choose a codec and play it via evr/vmr9, it'll tell you whether HA is on, what mode of deinterlacing is in use, and cpu/frame rate to boot. Pretty much ideal for quick testing :-)


Hello,

arfster,I've been reading you for a while but it's the first time I haven't understood anything of what you've said.Ok,I'm lost !
My position:
- pwdvd 7.3 3319a
- ZP using pwdvd filters when available with Haali renderer or wmr9/r (No ffdshow installed,ever)
- x1650xt with 7.7

1) So what's at stake with this AVIVO package ?
a) When I watch dvds or mpeg2hd with the cyberlink mpeg2 filter + Haali,the dxva option is checked,an acceleration is performed and everything works splendidly.Why should I use the mpeg2 filter included in the package instead of the Cyberlink one ?
b) It has been mentionned that there is also an avc filter available in this mysterious package.What's its status right now ? Is it actually a filter ? If yes,is it exploitable ?

2) About the dxva checker:
a) How does it work ? You write "Open a file with it" but what do you mean ? When I run the checker,it gives me the gpu dxva abilities.
There's an option that says "Check Directshow filter".When I choose ,for example,"coreavc.ax",I have a message saying that the checking failed.I can't check the Cyberlink filters either because they are .dll (?).
b) You write:"Choose a codec and play it via evr/vmr9, it'll tell you whether HA is on, what mode of deinterlacing is in use, and cpu/frame rate to boot."
Choose a codec and play it ?
Arfster,I wish you were a little more pedagogic on these two but thanks for testing the drivers so extensively.This is a crucial work you are providing here.
post #5007 of 6505
BTW, for those of you running Vista Media Center (VMC) and want to try a different codec for Recorded and Live TV (.dvr-ms files), the easiest way is to use this utility:

http://mediacenterexpert.blogspot.co...r-utility.html

It allows you to see the currently assigned decoder, allows you to see a list of installed video and audio decoders that are flagged as Media Center compatible (by the codec manufacturer), and allows you to select and change the decoder VMC will use.

I haven't tried the AVIVO decoder since apparently skip/replay and/or FF/RW do not work with it.

I am now using the Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra 7.x HD/BD decoder for video and the default Microsoft decoder for audio.

It seems to work well but I haven't really compared the image quality much yet. One thing for certain, the Microsoft decoder often crashed with specific digitally recorded 720p and 1080i shows plus it often temporarily displayed a black screen when skipping and replaying content. The Cyberlink HD decoder doesn't suffer from either of these issues and skip/replay/FF/RW all work fine. BTW, while the Microsoft decoder crashes with specific content, it only crashes with systems with ATI video cards (and the HD2600XT is apparently one of the worst for crashing the MS decoder). With my other HTPCs with Nvidia video cards, the Microsoft decoder never crashes and the decoder actually works well with those same recordings (that won't work with the ATI card).

If you have a CableCard PC apparently the only decoder that will work is the Microsoft decoder, but if your recordings are not copy protected there are many different ones that can be used.
post #5008 of 6505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludvig View Post

a) When I watch dvds or mpeg2hd with the cyberlink mpeg2 filter + Haali,the dxva option is checked,an acceleration is performed and everything works splendidly.Why should I use the mpeg2 filter included in the package instead of the Cyberlink one ?

Absolutely no reason at all, if it's working for you :-) Avivo is largely only useful for solving specific problems, and if you have things working you're already sorted. For most people, the cyberlink decoder is better for mpeg2.

Quote:


b) It has been mentionned that there is also an avc filter available in this mysterious package.What's its status right now ? Is it actually a filter ? If yes,is it exploitable ?

Nah, it's completely and utterly useless. Half-finished I think.

Quote:


2) About the dxva checker:
a) How does it work ? You write "Open a file with it" but what do you mean ? When I run the checker,it gives me the gpu dxva abilities.
There's an option that says "Check Directshow filter".When I choose ,for example,"coreavc.ax",I have a message saying that the checking failed.I can't check the Cyberlink filters either because they are .dll (?).

It's not very well labelled, but you should open a video file with that.

Quote:


b) You write:"Choose a codec and play it via evr/vmr9, it'll tell you whether HA is on, what mode of deinterlacing is in use, and cpu/frame rate to boot."

After you open the video above, it'll give you a list of all compatible codecs for that video type, the various acceleration modes each decoder supports, and which matches dxva1/dxva2 with the card.

For example, I open a mpeg2 file, I get Cyberlink, bitcontrol, ffdshow, avivo, nero, nvidia and probably some others. Cyberlink will say it supports multiple mode_mpegA or something similar, with a DXVA1/DXVA2 next to one of them cos the card supports both (this being Vista). FFdshow will support nothing, since it doesn't do acceleration. NVidia will support DXVA1 only, because they're lazy *^^7s and never updated it.

If you then select a codec, right/click, you can tell it to play the file via VMR9, or EVR. Remember dxva2 needs EVR for acceleration.
post #5009 of 6505
Where is the 8.4 hotfix available from. Somehow I can't find it on the AMD/ATI site.
post #5010 of 6505
Quote:
Originally Posted by arfster View Post

Thanks for those - looks like expansion is behaving OK then. Untweaked VMR9 doesn't expand, and smpte75% is around 180ish. Tweaked to expand, it goes to 190/191ish.
How is it with HD?

Cata8.3/8.4/8.49 expand a HD movie colour automatically regardless of UseBT601CSC value.
(As you mentioned before there.)

I had already tested HD with 8.3/8.4.
http://tirnanog.fate.jp/tmp/scan/8.4test/
cata8.3 bt601=1
cata8.4 bt601=0
cata8.4 bt601=1

also, i've just tested HD movie with 8.49
http://tirnanog.fate.jp/tmp/scan/8.49test/HD/
UseBT601CSC=0:
ramp HD on overlay
ramp HD on vmr9
ColorBar75(bt.601) HD on vmr9
ColorBar75(bt.709) HD on vmr9

UseBT601CSC=1:
ramp HD on overlay
ramp HD on vmr9
ColorBar75(bt.601) HD on vmr9
ColorBar75(bt.709) HD on vmr9

test sample file
http://tirnanog.fate.jp/tmp/sample/ITU-R/
regards


Quote:
Originally Posted by one_2go View Post

Where is the 8.4 hotfix available from. Somehow I can't find it on the AMD/ATI site.

here
http://www.ngohq.com/home.php?page=F...&dwn_cat_id=18
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › ATI Radeon HD 2X00 (2400,2600,2900) series owners thread