I can see I didn't explain what I did to get a good connection to WebTV.
For one, I never tried the "clean phone line" solution.
There is a feature on the Sony that allows one to use one's ISP DialUp number to
access WebTv. Although I have DSL w/ BellSouth; they provide you w/ a Back Up dialup number to access your account if you were traveling. I entered that number and upon connection with WebTv a message appeared telling me an
update was available. That update downloaded with out any problem and turned
out to be 3.7
Upon further reflection (senior moment), I used my MSN hotmail account as the log in for downloading. My Bellsouth account login name was too long for the space given in the UTV address box. That is why I was suprised to see the "ugrade available" as the first thing to pop up after it logged on.