or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › BRAM STOKER's DRACULA coming to BD this fall....!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

BRAM STOKER's DRACULA coming to BD this fall....!

post #1 of 143
Thread Starter 
http://www.zap-sf.com/ go to "Coming Soon!"

COMING SOON / WORKS IN PROGRESS


Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992) New Enhanced Edition on DVD and Blu-ray Disc (Sony Pictures Home Entertainment)
Francis Coppola
DVD Release: Fall, 2007


Supposedly this will be an alternate cut, (longer...?) kind of like The Outsiders, Apocalypse Now Redux...)

This is an excerpt from actually a several year old chat with a zoetrope person...

"Can you tell us a little about what plans Zoetrope has for DVD? Some of the titles you are working on???
Kim Aubry: We are excited about the format...for us, this is a kind of departure. Our identity is really tied up in our film post production..we have recording studios and editing suites in San Francisco But now that we have build a DVD lab in our SF headquarters, we are applying our know how and our style to this opposite end of the business.We are in discussions with Criterion, Sony-Columbia, Paramount and a local SF label called Fantoma. Although nothing is inked yet, I believe our next DVD projects will include (for Paramount) The Conversation, Tucker, the Man and His Dream, as well as a new version of Bram Stoker's Dracula for Columbia..."

I just hope that there is a BD and for ONCE, Sony (Columbia) includes all the extras that will be on the DVD.
I have a copy of all the awesome criterion laserdisc supps (thanks to a great meber here!) though and commentary so I could live without it but there's no good excuse NOT to put it on the BD.

(I think the BD is scheduled for the UK already...)
post #2 of 143
Can't wait for the (higher bitrate) PCM track on this one. The old LD PCM is still one of my favorite mixes of all time.
post #3 of 143
Gary Oldman is the man, if there is a finer actor out there, someone please point he or she out

-Gary
post #4 of 143
Thread Starter 
I completely agree, Gary. (Hey! You don't just like him because of the name?!?!?)

Now if we could get "State of Grace", "Romeo is Bleeding", "True Romance", "Leon"...

post #5 of 143
I saw this on HD NET a while back. I think it was at least a year ago. Didn't look very good. Hopefully this edition will be cleaned up dramatically.
post #6 of 143
I'd imagine Sony will clean this up based on their recent record and considering the Fifth Element mess. I would buy this movie in a heartbeat.
post #7 of 143
Let's not forget his portrayal of Beethoven in Immortal Beloved soon to be released on Blu-ray as well. =)

Mike
post #8 of 143
Oldman is my favorite actor

romeo is bleeding is one of most underrated movies of the last 20 years.
post #9 of 143
Gary Oldman: the king of wacky accents!!

He is Lee Harvey Oswald!!

Dan
post #10 of 143
Now, if only the DP for Tucker and Apocalypse would give up his crazy stance on 2.35:1 framing and allow us to FINALLY see both films in their original scope ratios rather than them cropped/panned & scanned to ~2.0:1.

It's one thing if he actually had framed them for his preferred 2.0:1 ratio, but in those cases he did not and you are actually losing out on a better composition.
post #11 of 143
Good flick that's almost ruined by Keanu Reeves' terrible acting. I'd buy it on BD.
post #12 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddUGA View Post

Good flick that's almost ruined by Keanu Reeves' terrible acting. I'd buy it on BD.

I love this film and it will be in my high def collection, but what was Francis thinking when casting Jonathan Harker?
post #13 of 143
own this on superbit dvd, if the pq/aq are stellar i need to find a way to rid the dvd.
post #14 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcheng122 View Post

own this on superbit dvd, if the pq/aq are stellar i need to find a way to rid the dvd.

Same here. If anyone knows of the best way to get some value out of their SD DVDs let me know. I think I need to start dumping soon.
post #15 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfbinet View Post

I love this film and it will be in my high def collection, but what was Francis thinking when casting Jonathan Harker?

i don't normally pay attention to acting skills and be able to tell the difference between a good performance and a bad performance. but when they're as bad as keanu reeves or heather graham, it really kills experience of watching the movie. at least heather graham is nice to look at when not deliverying dialogue poorly.
post #16 of 143
A properly mastered presentation of BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA is a must buy!!

Along with being a great film, I love the fantastic score by Woijech Kilar!
post #17 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcheng122 View Post

i don't normally pay attention to acting skills and be able to tell the difference between a good performance and a bad performance. but when they're as bad as keanu reeves or heather graham, it really kills experience of watching the movie. at least heather graham is nice to look at when not deliverying dialogue poorly.

And keanu isn't?

Maybe not in this movie but Point Break? Yum.
post #18 of 143
good lord i hope they include the alternate scenes. not sure how thought as they were not really processed that well. if you have seen them then you know they are ruff, but i still wouldnt care as this would make my day. although, it looks like the alternate scenes being there is all speculation.

i will pick it up no matter what.
post #19 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by chartwel View Post

good lord i hope they include the alternate scenes. not sure how thought as they were not really processed that well. if you have seen them then you know they are ruff, but i still wouldnt care as this would make my day. although, it looks like the alternate scenes being there is all speculation.

i will pick it up no matter what.

if the alt scenes wont be of same quality they should prob be included as extras.
post #20 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalfreakNYC View Post

And keanu isn't?

Maybe not in this movie but Point Break? Yum.

hmm now that "good to look at" is mentioned, i almost forgot Monica Belluci was in this movie as one of the brides. now that's YUM.
post #21 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcheng122 View Post

hmm now that "good to look at" is mentioned, i almost forgot Monica Belluci was in this movie as one of the brides. now that's YUM.

Is she the dark haired "bride" who fangs JH in the ba..s? Did she also play the wicked queen in The Brothers Grimm?
post #22 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfbinet View Post

Is she the dark haired "bride" who fangs JH in the ba..s? Did she also play the wicked queen in The Brothers Grimm?

yeah, she was in Brothers Grimm as well Matrix 2 and 3.
post #23 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by balanceofpower View Post

Can't wait for the (higher bitrate) PCM track on this one. The old LD PCM is still one of my favorite mixes of all time.

The audio on the Muse Laserdisc is even better, IMO. I wish the PQ had been as good as the audio! I have high hopes for this BD.
post #24 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Murrell View Post

Gary Oldman is the man, if there is a finer actor out there, someone please point he or she out

-Gary

Right you are, Gary. Juxtapose that role with the part he played in True Romance ("you come in here like some kinda Cholley Bronson, you must think it's White Boy Day...") or the sleazy senator in Contender -- what a range. That maniacal laugh he affected in Bram Stoker's Dracula really takes the cake for maniacal laughs. Count in the cleavage-sporting Winona Ryder saying, "I do know what men desire," you have a great turn in the neck-chomping genre. Always thought the film was rather anti-climatic -- such a formidable adversary and so long a chase culminating in a mortal wound received almost the second he exploded out of the wooden coffin.

While we're discussing Dracula, here's a bit of trivia. One of the best versions of the Dracula story (caveat: I haven't seen it in years) was an early-70s made-for-tv movie starring Jack Palance. His sticky end was much more worthy of a millenia-spanning lifetime.
post #25 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Murrell View Post

Gary Oldman is the man, if there is a finer actor out there, someone please point he or she out

-Gary

Agreed....think of all of the unique characters he has done.
This is an easy buy for me.
post #26 of 143
This one will be great to watch at midnight in the theater!
post #27 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchener View Post

Count in the cleavage-sporting Winona Ryder saying, "I do know what men desire," you have a great turn in the neck-chomping genre. .

Now that you mention it, I think the scene when she emerges from her bedroom with her sheer nightie to see Sadie Frost getting done by a wolf is the closest we've come to seeing her Golden Globes. Maybe high-def will bring some more clarity
post #28 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpags View Post

Now that you mention it, I think the scene when she emerges from her bedroom with her sheer nightie to see Sadie Frost getting done by a wolf is the closest we've come to seeing her Golden Globes. Maybe high-def will bring some more clarity

there're always monica belluci's golden globes as well.
post #29 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalfreakNYC View Post

And keanu isn't?

Maybe not in this movie but Point Break? Yum.

Gary Busey in Point Break? Double Yum

Wait, what the hell did I just type?
post #30 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem471 View Post

Gary Busey in Point Break? Double Yum

Wait, what the hell did I just type?

never seen point break, but he was pretty funny in Under Siege along with Tommy Lee Jones. there're some golden globes in that one too i might add.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Software
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › BRAM STOKER's DRACULA coming to BD this fall....!