Originally Posted by cpcat
Just updated my HD-A1 from 2.2 to 3.0 via ethernet. I tried and tried to burn a CD and couldn't get it to work. I tried MagicISO, Deep Burn, as well as Nero 8 while following all the instructions to the letter but still no luck. The player wouldn't recognize the CD-R and would always say "no disc". I trashed about 5 CD-R's altogether. I updated fine with a CD-R on my XA2 using DeepBurn. Not sure what the problem is with the HD-A1.
I had the same problem attempting to upgrade my HD-A1 to 3.0 firmware. I downloaded the file, converted to .iso file and copied to CD using Active IsoBurner, ImgBurn, CDBurnerXP and BurnAtOnce on both my desktop (XP Media) and my laptop (Vista). I tried two different CD's, Memorex and Sony - no luck - must have burned 8 failed CD's. The HD-A1 kept indicating "incorrect format" and "CD" on the TV screen, and "Unable to read" on the DVD display. As a last resort, I attempted to download the firmware using my ethernet connection - SUCCESS!!! Not sure what the problem is - in the past I was successful using Win XP and Active IsoBurner.
My HD-A30 is much less finicky. The only other machine that gives me heartburn is my Sony BDP-S1 Blu-Ray player which requires DVDs to record downloaded .iso files. The BDP-S1 does not read CD's and does not have an ethernet port.