or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › "The" Onkyo TX-SR875 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"The" Onkyo TX-SR875 Thread - Page 103

post #3061 of 6042
Quote:
Originally Posted by wneils View Post

How do I pass the signal through unaffected by the Reon? Things like the Daily show etc. seem somewhat distorted no matter what aspect I use on the Plasma or the Sat box.

Would like to see what they look llike without the converter.

There may not be anything you can do... some cable and satellite boxes send video with "extra" pixels, especially on the sides, when there is 4:3 programming and the box is set to 1080i. The only fix is to set the box to 480i for SD programming, then switch it back to 1080i for HD... damn annoying.

When the video display receives the 4:3 program with the "extra" pixels on the sides, some odd geometry things can happen and it can indeed be difficult to get the 4:3 programming to not look distorted.

The HQV chip has a "Through" mode in the Setup menu (one of the choices along with 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p) - that sends whatever comes from the box without altering it but in this case, it may not do anything for you. It's worth a try, but don't get your hopes too high because what you are seeing is probably a "fight" between the cable box and video display. But you never know... Through might just fix your problem depending on how it is set now.
post #3062 of 6042
I had a 905 and LOVED it, just sold her used because I can get a killed deal on a new one with warranty. What are the differences between the 905 and 875?? I see the 905 has "DTS-HD® High Resolution Audio" and the 875 does not. Is that a next gen codec I will be missing out on if I have a 1.3 blu and HD dvd player?? I am trying to see if cutting a few hundered off the price will not really do much in the way of video/audio quality and just lose a few bells and whistles...
post #3063 of 6042
I want to Bridge my main speakers for music, stereo 2.0. I would love some feedback from some one with this set up. Is this a good idea? what affects will it have on the 875? BTW I have KEF 105.2 speakers that can take up to 400watts.
post #3064 of 6042
[. It's worth a try, but don't get your hopes too high because what you are seeing is probably a "fight" between the cable box and video display. But you never know... Through might just fix your problem depending on how it is set now.[/quote]

I will give it a try, thanks!
post #3065 of 6042
Somebody asked this before but I did not see an answer...

My bright bar option on the 875 is greyed out and nothing seems to un-grey it. I seem to only get black bars even when I pick light grey on the HR20
post #3066 of 6042
Quote:
Originally Posted by W3bbY View Post

I had a 905 and LOVED it, just sold her used because I can get a killed deal on a new one with warranty. What are the differences between the 905 and 875?? I see the 905 has "DTS-HD® High Resolution Audio" and the 875 does not. Is that a next gen codec I will be missing out on if I have a 1.3 blu and HD dvd player?? I am trying to see if cutting a few hundered off the price will not really do much in the way of video/audio quality and just lose a few bells and whistles...

That's an error on Onkyo's homepage. The 875 does decode DTS-HD High Resolution.

The differences are:
USB Port
Ethernet Port (Internet Radio)
HD-Radio
Torodial Power Transformer
Fancier banana plugs
2 HDMI Ouputs
post #3067 of 6042
Quote:
Originally Posted by wneils View Post

Somebody asked this before but I did not see an answer...

My bright bar option on the 875 is greyed out and nothing seems to un-grey it. I seem to only get black bars even when I pick light grey on the HR20

sorry! got confused with the Panny thread
post #3068 of 6042
hi im thinking about getting either the 805 or the 875 and also decidingon what speakers to get. so far im edging towards the 875 because of vid processor but am wondering whether the new svs MTS-01 surround sound.

would the 805/875 be powerfull enough and work well with these speakers?

Thanks
post #3069 of 6042
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTech View Post

hi im thinking about getting either the 805 or the 875 and also decidingon what speakers to get. so far im edging towards the 875 because of vid processor but am wondering whether the new svs MTS-01 surround sound.

would the 805/875 be powerfull enough and work well with these speakers?

Thanks

The 805/875 will drive those speakers with ease.
post #3070 of 6042
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrstevens421 View Post

That's an error on Onkyo's homepage. The 875 does decode DTS-HD High Resolution.

The differences are:
USB Port
Ethernet Port (Internet Radio)
HD-Radio
Torodial Power Transformer
Fancier banana plugs
2 HDMI Ouputs

So the only thing to possibly effect sound it the Torodial Power Transformer, yes? If I dont care about the other features will this make a big difference?
post #3071 of 6042
^^^Some people have claimed to hear a difference, I have not. The design of the 805/875 & 905 are very similar. Each one is built on a seperate preamp and amplifier block. The 875 has a massive power supply as well. They all sound great and very similar. I have experience with all three.
post #3072 of 6042
Hi:

I received a reply from Onkyo about my hdmi switching problem. Though their web site FAQ section says the receiver should be good for 50'. http://http://www.us.onkyo.com/faqs_...etail=1&id=281There email is telling me to purchase an hdmi extender for long runs, (mine is 35'). Does anyone have any suggestions as to which one to buy. I have found these two monopricehttp://http://www.monoprice.com/prod...seq=1&format=2

and cablemart http://http://www.mycablemart.com/st...t_detail&p=474

Thanks for your help.

Bill
post #3073 of 6042
I got a HDMI 1.3 cable at monoprice. Didn't help my video switching problem, but I noticed deeper colors on the display even though the 875 is my only component rated for HDMI 1.3
post #3074 of 6042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico2 View Post

I got a HDMI 1.3 cable at monoprice. Didn't help my video switching problem, but I noticed deeper colors on the display even though the 875 is my only component rated for HDMI 1.3

That's a placebo effect. If you didn't change any other setting, then it's the exact same picture you saw before.

This is digital, folks. And HDMI 1.3 *cables* are a lot like Cat 6 - if they work, they work. The cable rating doesn't really mean a whole lot.

The only effect you'll see with a "bad" HDMI cable is "sparklies", which is digital artifacting from losing some of the signal.
post #3075 of 6042
Quote:
Originally Posted by W3bbY View Post

So the only thing to possibly effect sound it the Torodial Power Transformer, yes? If I dont care about the other features will this make a big difference?

And there's nothing automatically better about a toroidal transformer... in fact, they pass RF easily while EI transformers and variants (these tend to be sort of cube/squared-off in shape) do a pretty good job of blocking RF. Whether that makes any difference in audio quality or not... great big question. You'd have to have identical amplifiers with both kinds of transformer to ever know for sure.
post #3076 of 6042
I'm about to upgrade my 4-year-old system with a new display and receiver, which will be the Onkyo 875. Also plan on buying one of the HD players capable of outputting in bitstream form the new high rez audio formats (Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio). Have a question on passing that bitstream to the receiver. You can only do that over HDMI 1.3 right? Can't pass the bitstream via the SPDIF audio output from the reciever right?

The reason I'm asking has to do with the display I was planning on buying (Mits WD-73734) and the problems it has with receiving an HDMI signal from a receiver rather than direct from the source. I think the ideal would be to run all my sources, both video and audio into the reciever and run one HDMI to the display. But on the Mits WD-73734 forum some people are having problems with that. According to one poster, the owner’s manual for the Mits says that it does NOT support HDMI switching via the AVR. "All HDMI cables from your sources should be connected directly to the TV with the audio out connected to the receiver."

So let’s say I have the same problem with the Mits and have to run the video from all sources directly into the TV. The audio would come from each source via a digital cable into the receiver. And if one of the sources is a Blue-ray player that can output Dolby TrueHD via a bitstream, what happens if you run it's HDMI cable direct to the TV and run it's digital audio coax cable to the receiver? I've read that if you let the player convert the Dolby TrueHD to multichannel PCM, uncompressed sound can be transmitted to the receiver via HDMI. What about a digital coax cable? Can it transmit that uncompressed PCM multichannel signal just like HDMI can? Anybody know? Kalman Rubinson where are you?
post #3077 of 6042
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffordbrown View Post

I'm about to upgrade my 4-year-old system with a new display and receiver, which will be the Onkyo 875. Also plan on buying one of the HD players capable of outputting in bitstream form the new high rez audio formats (Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio). Have a question on passing that bitstream to the receiver. You can only do that over HDMI 1.3 right? Can't pass the bitstream via the SPDIF audio output from the reciever right?

The reason I'm asking has to do with the display I was planning on buying (Mits WD-73734) and the problems it has with receiving an HDMI signal from a receiver rather than direct from the source. I think the ideal would be to run all my sources, both video and audio into the reciever and run one HDMI to the display. But on the Mits WD-73734 forum some people are having problems with that. According to one poster, the owner's manual for the Mits says that it does NOT support HDMI switching via the AVR. "All HDMI cables from your sources should be connected directly to the TV with the audio out connected to the receiver."

So let's say I have the same problem with the Mits and have to run the video from all sources directly into the TV. The audio would come from each source via a digital cable into the receiver. And if one of the sources is a Blue-ray player that can output Dolby TrueHD via a bitstream, what happens if you run it's HDMI cable direct to the TV and run it's digital audio coax cable to the receiver? I've read that if you let the player convert the Dolby TrueHD to multichannel PCM, uncompressed sound can be transmitted to the receiver via HDMI. What about a digital coax cable? Can it transmit that uncompressed PCM multichannel signal just like HDMI can? Anybody know? Kalman Rubinson where are you?

Only HDMI can carry TrueHD, DD+, DTS-HD, or uncompressed PCM.
post #3078 of 6042
Thanks kplex. So this means you must pass video and audio via HDMI 1.3 through your AVR to get those high rez audio formats. I don't know for sure that the Mits WD-73734 does not support HDMI switching via an AVR, I will need to check the owner's manual myself, but what would you do if the display you wanted messes up if you try to do that? Maybe if if I only have one source run through the AVR (Blue-ray player with high rez audio in bitstream) and the others with video direct to the TV there will be no problem. Does that seem like a possibility in this case?
post #3079 of 6042
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffordbrown View Post

Thanks kplex. So this means you must pass video and audio via HDMI 1.3 through your AVR to get those high rez audio formats. I don't know for sure that the Mits WD-73734 does not support HDMI switching via an AVR, I will need to check the owner's manual myself, but what would you do if the display you wanted messes up if you try to do that? Maybe if if I only have one source run through the AVR (Blue-ray player with high rez audio in bitstream) and the others with video direct to the TV there will be no problem. Does that seem like a possibility in this case?

You can run component video to the display for video and HDMI to your AVR for audio. Or you can choose a less problematic display.
post #3080 of 6042
I see. Thanks again. I wondered if HDMI could be used just for audio. I guess I thought once you connected an HDMI cable it was the only route for everything, audio and video.
post #3081 of 6042
I'm a little confuse on something. I have this blu-ray dolby test disc that has DD+ and trueHD. When I test the TrueHD, all channels output sound to their corresponding speakers. However, when I test the DD+, the rear surround output on the same channel as the side surround? What gives? I have a PS3 going hdmi out.

I rented Live Free or Die Hard on blu-ray today and notice that it support DTS: MA. I only get audio from my L,C,R, Side Surrounds, but not the rear surrounds? Someone told me earlier in this thread that the PS3 doesnt support dts: ma, so what is it outputting? On my receiver it show, PC3 & Multich. What blu-ray player will support both trueHD and dts: ma? I'm assuming that my best audio format for the ps3 is trueHD via hdmi because it doesnt support dts: ma?

Just trying to find out what my configuration support and use it to the full potential!
post #3082 of 6042
Sounds like you have the same question I had... The L,C,R, Side Surround indicators only indicate the INPUT. Switch to THX mode and you will hear the rear surrounds but no indicator will show up on the 875. Almost all content is 5.1, even the "advanced" audio modes. I was bummed when I learned that, because one main reason to upgrade for me was the advanced audio but then I found out it is usually 5.1 not 7.1. Just seems weird... But that is the way it is. THX Ultra mode brings me back to my 7.1 days... :-)
post #3083 of 6042
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbMagFab View Post

That's a placebo effect. If you didn't change any other setting, then it's the exact same picture you saw before.

This is digital, folks. And HDMI 1.3 *cables* are a lot like Cat 6 - if they work, they work. The cable rating doesn't really mean a whole lot.

The only effect you'll see with a "bad" HDMI cable is "sparklies", which is digital artifacting from losing some of the signal.

You're probably right about the placebo effect. I even turned down the saturation setting 10 notches! Still, I think it makes sense to get the HDMI 1.3 cable since newer components will eventually support that.

Monoprice has Cat 2 HDMI 1.3 You mentioned Cat 6. What is the difference in Categories? Are lower Categories better? Just curious. . . .
post #3084 of 6042
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrungHieuSJ View Post

I'm a little confuse on something. I have this blu-ray dolby test disc that has DD+ and trueHD. When I test the TrueHD, all channels output sound to their corresponding speakers. However, when I test the DD+, the rear surround output on the same channel as the side surround? What gives? I have a PS3 going hdmi out.

I rented Live Free or Die Hard on blu-ray today and notice that it support DTS: MA. I only get audio from my L,C,R, Side Surrounds, but not the rear surrounds? Someone told me earlier in this thread that the PS3 doesnt support dts: ma, so what is it outputting? On my receiver it show, PC3 & Multich. What blu-ray player will support both trueHD and dts: ma? I'm assuming that my best audio format for the ps3 is trueHD via hdmi because it doesnt support dts: ma?

Just trying to find out what my configuration support and use it to the full potential!


Set the PS3 to output Linear PCM. Multich will show up on the 875 (the out signal). The in signal will be PCM 5.1 (7.1 if the Blu-ray movie is recorded that way which most are not (I only know of three, Pan's Labyrinth / WAR being two)). You are going to get the out signal with the right number of channels as long as you have the correct number of speakers for them.
The only oddball I have come across is a 6.1 movie (SAW - standard DVD) and I think I used Bistream out of the the PS3 to get all six channels but it may have been Linear PCM (I will check when I get a chance). With 6.1, my two surround rears share the work equally.

If you want a Blu-ray player to bistream to the 875 TrueHD and DTS HD MA and let the 875 do the work in de-coding, you can get the Panasonic BD30, BD50, Samsung P1400 or Pioneer Elite 95FD.
post #3085 of 6042
I recently picked up the Onkyo 875 from BH and am a little disappointed by the results compared to my almost 8 year old Denon 5700 receiver. The Onkyo is a 1.01 firmware so it has all the "issues" described before associated with that firmware update.

The one thing I noticed was that the "Dolby Digital" processing sounds horrible when compared with the Denon. The sounds are just muddled and not crisp at all, when listening to both video game and movie related sources. I switched the Dolby Digital mode to "Direct" and it sounds a little bit closer to the Denon, but I am a bit miffed that I paid for all this extra processing power only to now bypass it entirely?

Is it just me or is it that my 8 year old Denon performs better than the Onkyo 875?

BTW: The black levels are really ticking me off too...I have this hooked up to my Xbox 360 for which I play a ton of Call of Duty 4...There is a "night vision" goggle mode where you can see a lot more detail in dark areas of rooms. When I turn it on with the Onkyo you can barely see the outlines of the objects in a room, because all the blacks are a blob of grey! I thought I was seeing things, I re-hooked my old Denon back on and sure enough, the black levels were there and objects clearly delineated. This is very upsetting as the night vision can mean the difference between winning and losing in this game.
post #3086 of 6042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blave View Post

I recently picked up the Onkyo 875 from BH and am a little disappointed by the results compared to my almost 8 year old Denon 5700 receiver. The Onkyo is a 1.01 firmware so it has all the "issues" described before associated with that firmware update.

The one thing I noticed was that the "Dolby Digital" processing sounds horrible when compared with the Denon. The sounds are just muddled and not crisp at all, when listening to both video game and movie related sources. I switched the Dolby Digital mode to "Direct" and it sounds a little bit closer to the Denon, but I am a bit miffed that I paid for all this extra processing power only to now bypass it entirely?

Is it just me or is it that my 8 year old Denon performs better than the Onkyo 875?

BTW: The black levels are really ticking me off too...I have this hooked up to my Xbox 360 for which I play a ton of Call of Duty 4...There is a "night vision" goggle mode where you can see a lot more detail in dark areas of rooms. When I turn it on with the Onkyo you can barely see the outlines of the objects in a room, because all the blacks are a blob of grey! I thought I was seeing things, I re-hooked my old Denon back on and sure enough, the black levels were there and objects clearly delineated. This is very upsetting as the night vision can mean the difference between winning and losing in this game.


As you know, the black level issue is fixed with firmware 1.04. No need to get "ticked off" just apply the firmware and enjoy.

As far as the sound quality goes most people absolutely love the new Onkyos. Did you run the audissy to calibrate the 875? If you did and your 8 year old Denon sounds better than I would re-run the audissy calibration. If it still doesn't sound as good then maybe I would consider buying a new Denon. I listened to the new Denons and I was not as impressed with the SQ compared to the 875. But SQ is highly subjective and YMMV.
post #3087 of 6042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Lobrow View Post

As you know, the black level issue is fixed with firmware 1.04. No need to get "ticked off" just apply the firmware and enjoy.

As far as the sound quality goes most people absolutely love the new Onkyos. Did you run the audissy to calibrate the 875? If you did and your 8 year old Denon sounds better than I would re-run the audissy calibration. If it still doesn't sound as good then maybe I would consider buying a new Denon. I listened to the new Denons and I was not as impressed with the SQ compared to the 875. But SQ is highly subjective and YMMV.

Yeah I am returning my receiver back to B&H today and waiting for a few months, perhaps until they flush out their inventory for the new firmware to be installed. I was a little surprised to see that I got a 1.01 firmware receiver after all this time. The Onkyo's have been selling briskly and would have thought they newer shipments would have the newer firmware on there.

I was more "ticked off" because I didn't think the black levels would bother me that much. But I was thinking about movies and had never intended that video games would be the culprit. COD4 has caught my video game fix for the time being and I was totally shocked when I turned on the "night vision" and not being able to see in the shadows anymore! I would definitely have tried to take pics comparing the Denon and Onkyo, but I've already packed the Onkyo up.

I did run the Audyssey setup and truth be told it was dead on accurate after reviewing the selections made. Maybe my ears just prefer the "direct" sound of the Denon's. I remember reading some time ago that Denon tries to do as little audio processing as possible, perhaps I have come accustomed to that.

Maybe I'll just take this opportunity to purchase the 905 and see if there is any improvement in sound quality.
post #3088 of 6042
Hey guys, I am headed up to Boston to help my friend setup his system this weekend. He will be running a PS3 with the 875. I have different gear myself so any tips/tweaks would be greatly appreciated!

A few questions:

1. How do I check his firmware?

2. He has some outdoor speakers away from his main area. Can I just hook these up to the zone 2 speakers even if the music will be coming from the main zone?

3. He has a 5.1 Paradigm setup with an SVS sub which is the correct speaker terminal for his rears? Surround? Or surround back?

Thanks so much for the help! It is much appreciated.
post #3089 of 6042
Hello,

I sent an email to Onkyo and finally got a response on the firmware update situation.

There email seem to suggest its better if I take it to a service center and have this done but seeing as I don't really feel like unhooking everything etc ......how difficult is it to execute the firmware update once the cd has been sent to me??

What tools do i need and is this simple? difficult? or ??

Thank you.
post #3090 of 6042
Quote:
Originally Posted by emtownsend View Post

Sounds like you have the same question I had... The L,C,R, Side Surround indicators only indicate the INPUT. Switch to THX mode and you will hear the rear surrounds but no indicator will show up on the 875. Almost all content is 5.1, even the "advanced" audio modes. I was bummed when I learned that, because one main reason to upgrade for me was the advanced audio but then I found out it is usually 5.1 not 7.1. Just seems weird... But that is the way it is. THX Ultra mode brings me back to my 7.1 days... :-)

I'm watching WAR BD on the PS3 now. The PS3 is outputting Linear PCM. The 875 sees PCM 7.1 in and is outputting Multichannel. If DTS HD MA sounds better than this I will eat my socks.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › "The" Onkyo TX-SR875 Thread