or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › "The" Onkyo TX-SR875 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"The" Onkyo TX-SR875 Thread - Page 198

post #5911 of 6042
I lost my manual.

How would I change from TV to PJ with the remote?

Theres no button on the remote to flip between different outputs (display devices)...... only inputs (dvd, cable, etc).

Sorry for the stupid questions.
post #5912 of 6042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Grits View Post

I lost my manual.


You can D/L a PDF copy of the manual.

http://filedepot.onkyousa.com/Files/...5c217d6920736d
post #5913 of 6042
Hi, I am a new member here.
I have an Onkyo TX-SR875 AV receiver connected to a Pioneer 50'' plasma TV, which I bought back in 2007

Whenever I adjust the volume on the receiver, a bar is showing on my TV with the volume settings for a few seconds. Lately this bar has disappeared for some reason, so when I adjust the volume, I can only watch the settings on the Onkyo tiny display. Until now I have not found a solution to the problem. Could someone be kind enough to tell me how I can correct this, without resulting to factory settings?

A second question if I may. I understand that since I bought the Onkyo 875 receiver, there have been firmware updates. Is there a way that I can download these updates and install them myself? I do not wish to take the receiver to a service station or anything like that.

Any help would be most appreciated. Regards - Andreas
post #5914 of 6042
Quote:
Originally Posted by akarelias View Post
Hi, I am a new member here.
I have an Onkyo TX-SR875 AV receiver connected to a Pioneer 50'' plasma TV, which I bought back in 2007

Whenever I adjust the volume on the receiver, a bar is showing on my TV with the volume settings for a few seconds. Lately this bar has disappeared for some reason, so when I adjust the volume, I can only watch the settings on the Onkyo tiny display. Until now I have not found a solution to the problem. Could someone be kind enough to tell me how I can correct this, without resulting to factory settings?

A second question if I may. I understand that since I bought the Onkyo 875 receiver, there have been firmware updates. Is there a way that I can download these updates and install them myself? I do not wish to take the receiver to a service station or anything like that.

Any help would be most appreciated. Regards - Andreas
I have an 875, and I have done the firmware updates myself.

Here is a link to the firmware thread...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ghlight=gurkey

However, it appears that the links to the firmware are a dead end. I have the DSP updates that I can email to you. Send me a PM with your email address and I will attach the updates.

You might ask the original poster if he still has the firmware updates. The updates do make a difference and should be installed.

There are DSP updates and firmware updates. Two different things that require different installation methods. Both can be done by the user with a little patience and computer knowledge. I think the firmware update is the most important of the two.
post #5915 of 6042
Quote:
Whenever I adjust the volume on the receiver, a bar is showing on my TV with the volume settings for a few seconds. Lately this bar has disappeared for some reason, so when I adjust the volume, I can only watch the settings on the Onkyo tiny display. Until now I have not found a solution to the problem. Could someone be kind enough to tell me how I can correct this, without resulting to factory settings?

in the setup menu choose 6 Miscellaneous, then 2 On Screen Display, then turn ON Immediate display. However I seem to recall it causes the input switching to become slower though.

Just as an FYI check out this thread.
http://http://www.avsforum.com/avs-v...light=onkyo+10
post #5916 of 6042
Go to the link in Tspeer's thread here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post19720238

He has the latest firmware linked there
post #5917 of 6042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Vader View Post
Mine was a mere 2 years and 9 months old when it blew.
Well...upon looking further into the 905 and 805 forums I think I have changed my mind about the long term reliability of these units

I did purchase the 5 year extended warranty on mine...and frankly think I will get my money back

They have done an HDMI board and several capacitors on mine already inside the Onkyo warranty a few months ago...and mine was refurb from A4L
From what I understand from United Radio the HDMI board would have been more to replace than I paid for the Receiver...were I doing it on my own dime

Then I see those for sale week in and out on ebay that "mention" HDMI problems

So...clearly the choice has been made...for the most part...not to pay for the HDMI repair out of warranty


Warren
post #5918 of 6042
I gave my exploded 875 to my father, who took it to ABT Electronics to see how much they'd charge to repair it. They told him $270.00, so he gave them the OK and will have a repaired and working 875. I don't recall what they told him the problem was, but their question to him asked if the speakers were misconnected or if the speaker wires had come in contact with each other. Apparently, ABT believes the damage inside the unit was possibly caused by a connection problem.
post #5919 of 6042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Vader View Post

I gave my exploded 875 to my father, who took it to ABT Electronics to see how much they'd charge to repair it. They told him $270.00, so he gave them the OK and will have a repaired and working 875. I don't recall what they told him the problem was, but their question to him asked if the speakers were misconnected or if the speaker wires had come in contact with each other. Apparently, ABT believes the damage inside the unit was possibly caused by a connection problem.

what types of issues/problems was the unit exhibiting?

did you have speaker wires crossed?..if so...did the unit ever shut off or go into protection mode?


Warren
post #5920 of 6042
Hey guys a question for yiou. My 875 has no sound in the front left channel, its not the speaker. The speaker works fine on any other channel. I am wondering if this a fix I can do or if a repair shop is needed?"
thanks
post #5921 of 6042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett CR View Post

Hey guys a question for yiou. My 875 has no sound in the front left channel, its not the speaker. The speaker works fine on any other channel. I am wondering if this a fix I can do or if a repair shop is needed?"
thanks

If you asked this question, then its is better to take it to the shop.
post #5922 of 6042
Hey ya'all. Don't post here often. I have a few problems with my 875, need some help. Got the display that's burned out, found cambrians fix and think I can handle that.

Next my reciever takes 3x's to turn on every time, and when it does, the right channel has a hum in it. I've checked the back of the terminals. No stray wires, nada. When I plug in another speaker into the channel same thing, a hum. So it's got something to do with the channel, right?

Is there a way to tell from looking at the channel, if I take apart the reciever what is wrong. I just don't know what to look for. Thanks.
post #5923 of 6042
Just out of curiosity, is there a way for the unit's display brightness to be adjusted? I gave my unit to my old man, and the idiot was bitching that the display was "way too bright," so he took a black piece of cardboard and affixed it to the unit's entire face. It looks stupid now.
post #5924 of 6042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Vader View Post

Just out of curiosity, is there a way for the unit's display brightness to be adjusted? I gave my unit to my old man, and the idiot was bitching that the display was "way too bright," so he took a black piece of cardboard and affixed it to the unit's entire face. It looks stupid now.

There is a dimmer control button on the remote.
post #5925 of 6042
Need a source for the Audyssey microphone compatible with the 875. Any ideas?

Thanks
post #5926 of 6042
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfctx View Post

Need a source for the Audyssey microphone compatible with the 875. Any ideas?

Thanks

To answer my own question I found them on shoponkyo.com ... inexpensive.
post #5927 of 6042
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwarburton View Post
Hey ya'all. Don't post here often. I have a few problems with my 875, need some help. Got the display that's burned out, found cambrians fix and think I can handle that.

Next my reciever takes 3x's to turn on every time, and when it does, the right channel has a hum in it. I've checked the back of the terminals. No stray wires, nada. When I plug in another speaker into the channel same thing, a hum. So it's got something to do with the channel, right?

Is there a way to tell from looking at the channel, if I take apart the reciever what is wrong. I just don't know what to look for. Thanks.
Are you skilled in these type of things?
It sound like you definitely have a problem that needs to be looked at by a repair facility


Warren
post #5928 of 6042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Vader View Post

Mine was a mere 2 years and 9 months old when it blew.

I'm interested to know if you cooled yours in any way (or anyone else that has had their amp blow).
Mine has been running either 24/7 or 16 hrs a day since August 2008, but it has always had a large silent fan drawing air out of the top.

Without the fan it gets pretty hot even when idle, with it, its nice and cool.
I'm hoping the fan will improve its chance of staying alive.
Thanks
post #5929 of 6042
Yes, I did, in fact. I had an Antec cooler on top of it and a tiny fan that powered on when the 875 powered on. Heating wasn't the issue. Something shorted out inside.

I had been watching TV, and whenever a loud noise or effect sounded, the AV would simply shut off and the power button flashed red. If I turned it back on, it would simply do the same thing when the loud noise or effect recurred.
post #5930 of 6042
Darn!
I'm not looking forward to replacing the caps.
Its been good so far, fingers crossed.

Some failures may be from repeated heat cycling, perhaps leaving it on all the time can help.
Grasping for a straw here
post #5931 of 6042
Hi all - long time reader, first time posting an issue (I think anyway....)


I have been using my tx-sr875 for the past three years flawlessly with a HD Tivo, AppleTV and PS3 all passing HDMI in and out to a Panny Plasma display.

This morning, out of the blue, the receiver decided it didn't want to listen to any HDMI signal. I tried reseating all cables, etc., but every input I chose showed NO SIGNAL after trying to handshake with them.

Also, the HDMI out no longer works - the OSD does not come up when I go into setup.

First thing I tried was to do a clear/reset to factory settings, but that did nothing.

Is there any other way to resolve this? or is it sounding like it might be an HDMI board issue?
post #5932 of 6042
Sounds like the HDMI board has gone AWOL
post #5933 of 6042
Quote:
Originally Posted by obwizards View Post

Sounds like the HDMI board has gone AWOL

That's what I was afraid of...

Is this a kind of part you can buy yourself and replace? Where can they be found? I'm already a year out of my warranty, so if I can avoid service costs I'd prefer to.

anyone have a source for Onkyo parts?
post #5934 of 6042
@monsterbucket,

my HDMI Unit went down in August 2010. Here are some pictures, how it was (TV is a Sony KDS55A200):







After one week at the German service the 875 came back repared. After that experience, I think it was a temperature issue, I have 5 120mm fans on top of the 875.
post #5935 of 6042
@Die_Antwort_ist_42

I'd be happy with any signal to the TV, but as of right now I'm not getting anything out of my HDMI out port at all... Nor am I even receiving signals from any of the HDMI ins...

really pissed that a $1000 piece of equipment lasted only 3 years processing video. It's kind of a joke.

I'll keep poking around and maybe get lucky with a DOA 875 on Ebay that I can grab the board out of. We'll see. If that doesn't work I might go forward with swapping my box for an 808 for $460

Anyone know if the 808 is an improvement or a step down from the 875?
post #5936 of 6042
Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterbucket View Post


Anyone know if the 808 is an improvement or a step down from the 875?

Actually TWO steps down.
post #5937 of 6042
So whats the equal to it? 875
post #5938 of 6042
@monsterbucket,

I would ask for a repair price and would choose than what to do.
post #5939 of 6042
yeah, I am going to contact the local authorized repair shop for an investigation and then make a decision from there. I was quoted the retail cost on the HDMI board at $1000 - maybe the repair cost is a lot less?

We'll see...

thanks for the help.


I am still curious to know what the current equiv model is. I was told the trade in could also be done for an NR1007 at $560. Is that closer?
post #5940 of 6042
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post

Actually TWO steps down.

Actually that is a really good question - is anyone able to give more detail?

I know technically it might be 2 models below, but what about on features?

As technology improves, each year's new models have more/better features than previous year's models, at some point, a lower level model will surpass the features of a higher level model from a previous year.

How do the actual features compare between the 875, and the 808?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › "The" Onkyo TX-SR875 Thread