or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › DVD Players (Standard Def) › OPPO Digital Presents: DV-980H (1080p, SACD DSD, 7.1 Surround, USB 2.0)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

OPPO Digital Presents: DV-980H (1080p, SACD DSD, 7.1 Surround, USB 2.0) - Page 209

post #6241 of 6369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jottle View Post

I know I should just contact oppo even though I'm out of warranty, but I'm wondering if any of you have had issues with your transport? I had my main power board and my disc transport replaced once because the unit squealed in standby mode, and the transport was extremely loud when skipping ahead in chapters, loading, or fast forwarding. I sounded like a freight train. Unfortunately, the new transport that oppo put in is dead silent when fast forwarding and skipping tracks, but every dvd I play makes a low or high hum because it sounds like the transport is actually unbalanced and the disc is wobbling in the spindle. It's super annoying and happens on every dvd no matter what is being played. So now the unit isn't really quiet during playback like it should be. I'm waaay out of warranty, but I'm wondering if oppo might just sent me a new transport that I can put in the player. I opened her up, and it's not too complicated at all. I just don't want to pay for service and the part given that I"m going to be replacing this unit with a bdp-93 soon. The dv-980h fetches a good price on ebay, but I'm picky about this noise and don't want to sell it yet.

I'd contact Oppo. I don't see that you have any other option in your case?
post #6242 of 6369
Quote:
Originally Posted by blairy View Post

I'm guessing you're referring to hirez flac files?

I tried some (a couple fo years ago) from a USB stick and got gobbledegook. Not sure what resolution I used. I'm thinking it was 96kHz/24bit.

The new Oppo BDP93 plays hirez flac. As does my AVR (Denon AVR3808).

blairy

Can 88kHz/24bit files be burned to DVD-A?
post #6243 of 6369
In case anyone is curious, oppo charges a flat $42.00 for any repairs out of warrant. Seems reasonable enough.
post #6244 of 6369
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertazimmerman View Post

Can 88kHz/24bit files be burned to DVD-A?

Can you try resampling a file to this frequency using something like Audacity or foobar2000 and see if it works?
post #6245 of 6369
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertazimmerman View Post

Can 88kHz/24bit files be burned to DVD-A?

There are a number of DVD-A discs (commercial) that use 24/88. It's used for technical reasons where the master is a certain sample rate or even also is 88.

DVD-Video can handle 24/192 LPCM in stereo. Multichannel LPCM requires MLP compression at any freq. DVD-A has no set standard for any of this, other than the physical limitation of the media for bitrates. (~10-11Mb)
post #6246 of 6369
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
There are a number of DVD-A discs (commercial) that use 24/88. It's used for technical reasons where the master is a certain sample rate or even also is 88.

DVD-Video can handle 24/192 LPCM in stereo. Multichannel LPCM requires MLP compression at any freq. DVD-A has no set standard for any of this, other than the physical limitation of the media for bitrates. (~10-11Mb)
Thanks!

R
post #6247 of 6369
I just recently purchased some stereo only SACDs and discovered I can have the 980H apply PLII to get a surround effect (when desired). However, I'm not clear reading the user manual if by setting PLII to "On" or "Auto" will also effect multichannel material such as multichannel SACDs, DVD, etc. (I don't want multichannel material altered/processed).

Anyone know?

Thanks.

PS - I sent an email to Oppo as well.
post #6248 of 6369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post

I just recently purchased some stereo only SACDs and discovered I can have the 980H apply PLII to get a surround effect (when desired). However, I'm not clear reading the user manual if by setting PLII to "On" or "Auto" will also effect multichannel material such as multichannel SACDs, DVD, etc. (I don't want multichannel material altered/processed).

Anyone know?

Thanks.

PS - I sent an email to Oppo as well.


Saturn94,

When you get an answer from Oppo, let us know please. Interesting item.

Mike K
post #6249 of 6369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkard View Post

Saturn94,

When you get an answer from Oppo, let us know please. Interesting item.

Mike K

This is the response I received from Oppo;

Quote:


Pro Logic II processing will be applied to all sources, but the inherent design is matrix 5.1 or 7.1 from a stereo source. Multi-Channel sources do not need additional channel matrixing, so the Pro Logic II algorithms are ignored.

AUTO should only engage when PL or PLII content is flagged on the source. ON is always engaged regardless of a flag being in the source.

You should leave this on AUTO to ensure that you are only matrixing stereo sources and no additional processing is applied to multi-channel sources.

At first they seem to be saying that multichannel material will not be processed, but then say to set it to AUTO to ensure processing is not applied to multichannel material.

I also posted in the Anthem AVM20 thread. This started as a question about PLIIx on my AVM20 processor when using the multichannel analog inputs and led to my discovery of the 980H's PLII processing abilities. Here's a link to that discussion in case you're curious.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=842879&page=4

Between the information Oppo provided and the feedback I received in the AVM20 thread my understanding is that PLII by design only affects 2 channel material. So setting the 980H to ON, PLII processing will be applied to all 2 channel sources (with an exception I'll mention below). Setting it to AUTO, it will only apply PLII processing to 2 channel material that is encoded (or flagged) with PL or PLII. When playing multichannel material with either setting, my understanding is that the PLII algorithm will be ignored.

So far, with the 980H set to AUTO, all the 2 channel sources I've played (CDs, 2 channel SACDs, and mp3 download purchases played via the USB port) had PLII processing applied. The exception I alluded to above are 2 channel WMA lossy files from CDs I own ripped using Windows Media Player. None of these files have PLII processing applied no matter if the 980H is set to AUTO or ON. If I play the original CD, PLII processing is applied. But when the same CD is ripped to WMA lossy, the WMA file will not have PLII processing applied.

Here's the reply from Oppo when asked about this behavior;

Quote:


This may be a hardware or licensing limitation of the player. It is possible that WMA files exceed the hardware PLII capabilities of the decoder, or the WMA licensing by Microsoft does not allow for additional channel matrixing from the decoding device.

may be...? I'm puzzled that they don't seem to know the answer to this. After all, it is their player.

No matter. The fact is the 980H will not apply PLII processing to WMA lossy files. So in the case I want to apply PLII processing to WMA lossy files, I'll just use the digital output from the Oppo to a digital input on the AVM20 and let the AVM20 do the processing.
post #6250 of 6369
Thanks Saturn,

I suspect that even at Oppo, some of the old knowledge gurus have moved on. My fondness for my 980h causes me to forget that it is somewhere around 4 to 5yr-old tech.

It can't do everything. But I like it.

Mike K
post #6251 of 6369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkard View Post

Thanks Saturn,

I suspect that even at Oppo, some of the old knowledge gurus have moved on. My fondness for my 980h causes me to forget that it is somewhere around 4 to 5yr-old tech.

It can't do everything. But I like it.

Mike K

I bought mine in April 2009, not long before it was discontinued I believe, and have enjoyed it very much. My primary motivation for buying it was to take over DVD handling duties from my Pioneer 51 BD player.

At that time the 51 had long DVD layer changes, often 2-3 seconds (very disruptive, IMO) and there wasn't any sign Pioneer was working on a fix (this had been a problem since I bought the 51 in August 2008). Pioneer did fix the DVD layer change issue a few months later.

Even so, I ended up replacing my 51 with a Pioneer 320 in March 2010 because of the 51's lackluster BD error correction with less than perfect rental BDs. I now use the 320 for DVD since the upscaling is better and the layer change is now seamless.

While not the reason I purchased the 980H, its SACD and DVD Audio multichannel capabilities peaked my interest in those formats and I've since purchased about a dozen or so titles. Unfortunately, many titles I would like to have are either not available or command premium prices. I guess I'm a bit late to the SACD/DVD Audio game. I particularly like the multichannel aspect of SACD/DVD Audio, but due to lack of availability, I've become interested in what PLII can offer. Depending on the title, the result can be quite good, although not quite as good as a true high quality multichannel mix.

It's only been recently that I've been playing with using the USB port and learning what it offers. While I still prefer to own shiny discs, it seems we are headed more towards downloads as a source for music, so I'm dipping my toe in the download waters.

So while my 980H doesn't see any DVD use, I'm enjoying using it for playing SACDs, DVD Audio, and downloaded music via the USB port.
post #6252 of 6369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post

I bought mine in April 2009, not long before it was discontinued I believe, and have enjoyed it very much. My primary motivation for buying it was to take over DVD handling duties from my Pioneer 51 BD player.

At that time the 51 had long DVD layer changes, often 2-3 seconds (very disruptive, IMO) and there wasn't any sign Pioneer was working on a fix (this had been a problem since I bought the 51 in August 2008). Pioneer did fix the DVD layer change issue a few months later.

Even so, I ended up replacing my 51 with a Pioneer 320 in March 2010 because of the 51's lackluster BD error correction with less than perfect rental BDs. I now use the 320 for DVD since the upscaling is better and the layer change is now seamless.

While not the reason I purchased the 980H, its SACD and DVD Audio multichannel capabilities peaked my interest in those formats and I've since purchased about a dozen or so titles. Unfortunately, many titles I would like to have are either not available or command premium prices. I guess I'm a bit late to the SACD/DVD Audio game. I particularly like the multichannel aspect of SACD/DVD Audio, but due to lack of availability, I've become interested in what PLII can offer. Depending on the title, the result can be quite good, although not quite as good as a true high quality multichannel mix.

It's only been recently that I've been playing with using the USB port and learning what it offers. While I still prefer to own shiny discs, it seems we are headed more towards downloads as a source for music, so I'm dipping my toe in the download waters.

So while my 980H doesn't see any DVD use, I'm enjoying using it for playing SACDs, DVD Audio, and downloaded music via the USB port.


Hiya Saturn94, of course I recognized you from the Pio 05/51FD thread. Damn near 1000 pages there now! Thanks here, as there. You've given me some more to work on/with.

I've not got the 51FD seniority you've got, picked up my 1st in Nov/Dec09. Had FW1.12?, 1.32 was available and I immediately downloaded. Never did encounter the layer change issues for that reason probably. A couple of months later snagged a 2nd, just because I had been so blown away by the DVD up-scaling. Still can't afford to buy too many blu-rays!!

I agree that the Oppo 980h is a lot of fun. I have mine on top of the Pio in the main theater. Use it to play CD's and DVD-A's mostly. Some odd things, Oppo spent the money to make this something like a Universal Player in 2007-08. Via HDMI-Oppo will decode and bitstream 24bit-96khz MLP lossless to my Yamaha. Pio will only offer my receiver 24bit-48khz DTS, or (shudder) 16bit-48khz Dolby from the same DVD-A! Licensing $$ I suspect. btw-DVD-A in question is Alan Parson's re-do of PinkFloyd DarkSideoftheMoon in 4.1. Original studio masters were done in never released 4.0 (Quadraphonic, familiar to us old folks), and Parsons had access to them in 2003. Wow, what fun. Ya gotta try it!

Like yours, my Oppo 980h is largely DVD free. Esoteric Chinese Video Discs and PAL stuff mostly. Music seems to be this Oppo's forte, even though I largely just output via SPDIF. I've not enough SACD's to make any difference (two, I think) and like you said finding really good music in (dare I use the word) high(er) fidelity pressings is very hard to find, and potentially expensive. The simple pleasure of popping in a nice little garden variety CD, routing digital to a decent receiver, pre-out to 2-ch of power, and then to friendly speakers is a small joy that I value.

I have only played with PLII at the receiver end of it. Personally, we seem to like the Yamaha 7-ch mode applied to 2-ch of digital more than PLII. Later this summer the wife and daughter are overseas for a month, maybe I'll give the analog outs of the Oppo a try using on-board processing.

Regardless, thanks for pursuing things with Oppo. I'll have to eddy-kate myself about getting music on USB's and begin experimenting with that too now that you've pointed it out! Are you still as comfortable with the Pio 320's DVD upscaling as you were last year? I'm just lucky that we don't get very involved in rental discs, thus relatively few frustrations with the Pio 51's on Blu-ray material.

I am only on this thread because I didn't have the scratch to afford a DV-983 back then. Just think, if I'd been a rich man (?$460??) and gotten the Oppo 983 in 07/08, I would sure as hell not been looking for something better for DVD (no interest in Blu-Ray) a year later and been tripped up by desperate (but knowledgable) sales guy to take a floor-model Pioneer 51FD for $99. Serendipity, but I'm still looking for an affordable DV-983!!!

Isn't everyone?

Ha!

Again, thanks Saturn94. Good stuff is good stuff.

Mike K
Semper Fi
post #6253 of 6369
Nice to see some activity on this thread. I use my 980H exclsuively as a music transport and really enjoy it. I bought a PS3 for BD playback back when it was the only real option, so never got onto the Oppo BD player(83 or 93) bandwagon. The 980H was/is a good alternative that holds it's own even now.
post #6254 of 6369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkard View Post

.........I agree that the Oppo 980h is a lot of fun. I have mine on top of the Pio in the main theater. Use it to play CD's and DVD-A's mostly. Some odd things, Oppo spent the money to make this something like a Universal Player in 2007-08. Via HDMI-Oppo will decode and bitstream 24bit-96khz MLP lossless to my Yamaha. Pio will only offer my receiver 24bit-48khz DTS, or (shudder) 16bit-48khz Dolby from the same DVD-A! Licensing $$ I suspect. btw-DVD-A in question is Alan Parson's re-do of PinkFloyd DarkSideoftheMoon in 4.1. Original studio masters were done in never released 4.0 (Quadraphonic, familiar to us old folks), and Parsons had access to them in 2003. Wow, what fun. Ya gotta try it!

I did noticed that on some DVD-As the speaker settings in the 980H, when using the analog outputs, are ignored (I have the center speaker set to OFF). Oppo acknowledged there is an issue on some titles; something to do with the way some DVD-As are authored. This is the only bug I've come across.

Quote:


Like yours, my Oppo 980h is largely DVD free. Esoteric Chinese Video Discs and PAL stuff mostly. Music seems to be this Oppo's forte, even though I largely just output via SPDIF. I've not enough SACD's to make any difference (two, I think) and like you said finding really good music in (dare I use the word) high(er) fidelity pressings is very hard to find, and potentially expensive. The simple pleasure of popping in a nice little garden variety CD, routing digital to a decent receiver, pre-out to 2-ch of power, and then to friendly speakers is a small joy that I value.

You reminded me I do have a few PAL DVDs from other regions; mainly movies that I cannot find in the US. Speaking of PAL DVDs, if they are region free, I play them in my 320. While the 320 does not convert PAL to NTSC, my TV is PAL compatible (I discovered this by accident; what a nice surprise!).

Quote:


I have only played with PLII at the receiver end of it. Personally, we seem to like the Yamaha 7-ch mode applied to 2-ch of digital more than PLII. Later this summer the wife and daughter are overseas for a month, maybe I'll give the analog outs of the Oppo a try using on-board processing.

Depending on the material, for music I use PLII, stereo, or Anthem Logic (a feature of my Athem processor). I works out well that the Oppo has PLII decoding since stereo SACDs cannot be output via the digital outputs.

Quote:


Regardless, thanks for pursuing things with Oppo. I'll have to eddy-kate myself about getting music on USB's and begin experimenting with that too now that you've pointed it out! Are you still as comfortable with the Pio 320's DVD upscaling as you were last year? I'm just lucky that we don't get very involved in rental discs, thus relatively few frustrations with the Pio 51's on Blu-ray material.

Upscaling on the 320 is great. Perhaps an Oppo 983H, 83, or 93 might do a bit better, but not enough for me to spend the $$$.

Quote:


I am only on this thread because I didn't have the scratch to afford a DV-983 back then. Just think, if I'd been a rich man (?$460??) and gotten the Oppo 983 in 07/08, I would sure as hell not been looking for something better for DVD (no interest in Blu-Ray) a year later and been tripped up by desperate (but knowledgable) sales guy to take a floor-model Pioneer 51FD for $99. Serendipity, but I'm still looking for an affordable DV-983!!!

Isn't everyone?

Ha!

Again, thanks Saturn94. Good stuff is good stuff.

Mike K Semper Fi

I'm here because I'm behind the times and am still discovering what my 980H offers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtart View Post

Nice to see some activity on this thread. I use my 980H exclsuively as a music transport and really enjoy it. I bought a PS3 for BD playback back when it was the only real option, so never got onto the Oppo BD player(83 or 93) bandwagon. The 980H was/is a good alternative that holds it's own even now.

+1

Sometimes when I post here I wondered if I was just talking to myself.
post #6255 of 6369
Saturn94

I've not encountered any odd stuff from the 980h regarding DVD-A outputs. Just lucky, or more likely I don't have enough DVD-A's! Like I noted, the Pioneer is the one that seemed to not provide fully what was available on the disk.

Saturn94 said:
Depending on the material, for music I use PLII, stereo, or Anthem Logic (a feature of my Athem processor). I works out well that the Oppo has PLII decoding since stereo SACDs cannot be output via the digital outputs.

For SACD's/DVD-A's the Oppo does seem to provide full density digital via HDMI to my Yamaha. You are of course, right that it doesn't via Optical or Digital Coax. When the house empties for a few weeks I'll have to break it all down and experiment with the analog multi-channels.

The 980h still provides a great number of good things. It, like my two 51fd's, figure prominently in my prayers to Elmer that all holds together.

'tchuss

Mike
post #6256 of 6369
Haven't gotten to multi channel yet, but just a note on 2ch analog outs.

Ran soundtrack of English Patient CD. My wife acquiesed in putting herself into the listening postion (calibration spot for microphone) and give me a few minutes.

The soaring soundtrack items: She preferred the Oppo's digital out and processed by receiver to include presence speakers (LF, LS, Lp, RF, RS, Rp) as a PLIIx Music executed via Yamaha rx-v765. I clicked back and forth between pure direct analog input from Oppo, and the two digital modes (one is pure direct) we use for digital audio sources from the Oppo, her preference didn't change.

When it came to two female vocal tracks on this sound track, the story CHANGED. Using the same click/digitalinandprocess (x2 options) and click/analog in direct from Oppo, she very emphatically preferrred the analog from Oppo. Most assuredly. To HER ears, the analog out from Oppo via the pre-outs of Yamaha AVR, and powering Paradigm Monitor 7's via ADCOM 6000 (100w for Front L/C/R only) beat the DAC and ANY KIND OF PROCESSING from Yamaha on female vocals. No doubt in her mind. I just said "Yes dear"! She had a fair amount of musical training growing up in China, and certainly has a beautiful singing voice and still plays piano and violin well. Me, a mis-spent youth wearing green. Involved helicopters and Browning heavy machine-guns. Fun, but discriminative auditory ability is NOT ME!

Her preference was less definitive with the crescendo style of the Annie Lennox track 19 of LordoftheRings-ReturnoftheKing "Into the West" (she kinda liked the spatial "height" given by the Yamaha's use of front presence speakers to THAT song), which might indicate that more complex audio benefits from digital transmission and processing downstream before amplification (at least with the Burr-Browns in a Yam 765). What was "clear" was what the Oppo did for the acapella arabic female vocals (Track 1 and 16?) of TheEngishPatient----WOW! Detail up the kazoo! (technical term, try to keep up) Even I could hear it.

I have no idea what Oppo used for DAC's 4 or 5 years ago (not like I know anything like that about NEW products--Ha!) but they were certainly implemented at an exceptional level. Just really nice. For no particular reason I had thought that a 3yr newer mid/miduppper AVR from a good company would have the old Oppo DAC's beat. Wrong!

It is all a matter of preference, but I do look forward to playing with the full multi-channel analog outs on the Oppo next month sometime. Spouse and kid are going to the FINA World Swim Championships in Shanghai. 3 weeks of "Dad's House".

Just wanted to say how much I liked the results of a minor experiment.

Mike K
post #6257 of 6369
I've been very pleased with the 980H's analog performance. I believe the Secrets of Home Theater site did a review a few years ago on the analog performance and they were impressed.
post #6258 of 6369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post

Sometimes when I post here I wondered if I was just talking to myself.

Nah I still always check for new posts here I watch many 2 channel concert video dvds and this player has worked out well for me.
post #6259 of 6369
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHills44060 View Post

Nah I still always check for new posts here I watch many 2 channel concert video dvds and this player has worked out well for me.

I still use my trusty DV-980H on my office to listen to CDs and SACD. No complains here.
post #6260 of 6369
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHills44060 View Post

Nah I still always check for new posts here .......


So do I.
post #6261 of 6369
It's been over 3 years since I checked in this thread. I was rocking my Oppo 980 DVD player until yesterday, when I replaced it with a Panasonic 210 BR player. I wanted to stay w/ the Oppo family, but at $500, it was too much coin for me to swallow. I'm moving the Oppo upstairs for bedroom duty.

It's too bad that Oppo has stopped updating the firmware for this DVD player. I used to be able to feed it any 480 video format. But the latest MKV files, it can't handle. I know the Panasonic is not good for streaming files, but it doesn't concern me since I have an HTPC connected to the receiver and TV, which pretty much plays anything, lo-def or hi-def, thanks to VLC.
post #6262 of 6369
One of my two faithful Oppo 980H's died yesterday; push the power button and no lights, no response.

I verified power cord was secure on both ends, power to the socket etc.

Since it is well out of warranty, I opened it up and found the culprit.
An 8 pin IC at circuit board position U501 (part# 1200P60, CPAC, 0740G) had fried.

It had burned with enough intensity to cover the capacitor at circuit board position BC505 with soot.

1) Anyone know if Oppo still carrys replacement parts for the 980?
Either the IC (I am reasonably good with a soldering iron) or a replacement power board?

2) Has anyone made a similar repair, what was the cost?

3) Of course, there is a CD stuck in it, does anyone know of a non-destructive way to remove it without power?

Thanks,
XEagleDriver
post #6263 of 6369
Quote:
Originally Posted by XEagleDriver View Post

One of my two faithful Oppo 980H's died yesterday; push the power button and no lights, no response.

I verified power cord was secure on both ends, power to the socket etc.

Since it is well out of warranty, I opened it up and found the culprit.
An 8 pin IC at circuit board position U501 (part# 1200P60, CPAC, 0740G) had fried.

It had burned with enough intensity to cover the capacitor at circuit board position BC505 with soot.

1) Anyone know if Oppo still carrys replacement parts for the 980?
Either the IC (I am reasonably good with a soldering iron) or a replacement power board?

2) Has anyone made a similar repair, what was the cost?

3) Of course, there is a CD stuck in it, does anyone know of a non-destructive way to remove it without power?

Thanks,
XEagleDriver

Contact OPPO. They have very reasonable fixed price out of warranty repair. They still service every model.

Ask about the CD.

-Bill
post #6264 of 6369
Doesn't the 980 have a manual eject hole in the front of the loader? Paper clip -> hole -> tray opens.
post #6265 of 6369
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Doesn't the 980 have a manual eject hole in the front of the loader? Paper clip -> hole -> tray opens.

I don't see it on mine.

To the OP: feel free to ask them about do it yourself repair. It's been known to happen. Just tell them what's up, what you want and ask for your options.

-Bill
post #6266 of 6369
Oppo responded to a Sunday email on the same day and the cost is reasonable!
I knew I liked these guys!
XEagleDriver

Quote:
You can remove the bridge over the loader assembly by removing the two strips of tape and the two screws on each side of the loader. Remove the plastic bridge, retrieve the disc, and close it back up.

An Out of Warranty Repair for the DV-980H will cost $42.00 plus shipping to us. This fee will cover all parts, labor, and return shipping to domestic United States addresses. You can purchase an Out of Warranty Repair Service at: http://oppodigital.com/proddetail.asp?prod=RSDV980H

You can ignore the RMA field. Once we have received your order you will receive a return shipping authorization and instructions within 24 hours.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
post #6267 of 6369
Quote:
Originally Posted by XEagleDriver View Post

Oppo responded to a Sunday email on the same day and the cost is reasonable!
I knew I liked these guys!
XEagleDriver

That's pretty good service. Hopefully performing that replacement will go smoothly. Good luck.
post #6268 of 6369
Quote:
Originally Posted by XEagleDriver View Post

Oppo responded to a Sunday email on the same day and the cost is reasonable!
I knew I liked these guys!
XEagleDriver

Sounds very reasonable and well worth it.
post #6269 of 6369
All,

The posts from 6262 onward to the one above should show up in some future MBA lesson plan.

We consumers have correctly id'd that there "is a problem, and the manufacture's input is required to address the solution".

-We all know mfg HAS a customer contact method
-We find out that mfg responds almost immediately, even at non-standard days and times, to our request for help. Actually to what is at issue and not just based on a script whose relevance is questionable.
-We consumers find out that mfg's policy to address this type of problem is extremely reasonable and continues to show respect and appreciation for consumer/customer.
-We consumers wonder why other operators in the market cannot seem to consistently meet any of the above 3-benchmarks.
-We will always at least consider a purchase of this type of product from Oppo because of our experiences with this back-end of original transaction.

Sadly, the current business models will de-construct XEagledriver's experiences to point out the in-efficiencies evident in pursuing a business-customer relationship of this nature. The numbers will show a very poor ROI for shareholders in maintaining a company culture that values such a relationship, and more importantly the infrastucture required to execute based on that value. Think-tanks will be funded to "Prove" the economic disaster pending from such values/executions, thus identifying such types of customer support operations as inherently "market-killing" for companies who do NOT choose to engage in benchmark customer service. Thus justifying the lobbyists hired to influence legislation be passed to protect the industry from such nefarious anti-market activities.

Sigh.

Mike
post #6270 of 6369
I have the oppo dv-980H. Its a great players. Unfortunately i have only used it 4 times.. so i have to get rid of this practically new player... Not sure what to do with it. Its all packed back in the box - 10/10
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: DVD Players (Standard Def)
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › DVD Players (Standard Def) › OPPO Digital Presents: DV-980H (1080p, SACD DSD, 7.1 Surround, USB 2.0)