or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › PlayStation Area › **TVersity-->PS3 Master Thread** Users, please chime in!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**TVersity-->PS3 Master Thread** Users, please chime in!

post #1 of 314
Thread Starter 
I thought it'd be nice if users of this popular DLNA/transcoding software could gather in one spot and help each other out with any issues. I've read quite a few posts of users, like myself, who are having issues here and there.

For those who aren't familiar with it, TVersity is a DLNA client that offers real-time transcoding of most media files. This affords PS3 users access to many more file types than are available natively and allows them to be streamed from the media server, on the fly. The good folks who produce this software have made it available for FREE, and have optimized it for the Playstation 3, amongst other mediums.

Official Website
Official Forums
____________________________________________________
GUI Screens:

____________________________________________________
As of this post, the newest version is 0.9.10.7; released 7/19/2007

From the TVersity website:
Transcoding of some file formats require the installation of third party directshow filters that are compatible with TVersity. TVersity recommends:

Please post about your experiences with this software; any issues or successes you're having. If implemented properly, it seems TVersity can turn your PS3 into a full-featured media server!
post #2 of 314
Thread Starter 
I, myself, am having an issue with the transcoding of some files. I've ripped most of my music in the lossless FLAC file type. Has anybody had success transcoding this extension through TVersity?

It should work automatically, correct?
post #3 of 314
What media servers work with this and the PS3?
post #4 of 314
Well, I have TVersity up and running. My complaints so far is that when I load up my library, it takes quite a long time for the full list to come up on my PS3 (I have about 10,000 and less than 100 videos), and also when I play videos, the video stutters a lot - probably about every other 5-10 seconds. Could it be that the WIFI isn't cutting it and maybe I should go wired? As a comparison, I have my 360 wired to the router with TVersity up on there as well. I played Baby Einstein video for my baby and not one stutter so far.
post #5 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan1112 View Post

What media servers work with this and the PS3?

What do you mean what media servers? Isn't TVersity the media server?
post #6 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Avarice_ View Post

I, myself, am having an issue with the transcoding of some files. I've ripped most of my music in the lossless FLAC file type. Has anybody had success transcoding this extension through TVersity?

It should work automatically, correct?

I never even heard of FLAC ... and its lossless? Plz don't give me something else to do with all my music lol. I'm currently in the middle of renaming all my music so that I have a sense of order here between all these files so its better to sort and find.

And good job on this thread, Avarice ... possible we can get this stickied?
post #7 of 314
I've got a fairly simple question I'm hoping someone can answer. I can't find the documentation now, but I remember reading that you can trasfer entire folders to the PS3 using Tversity. My Tversity is set up and everything streams to the PS3 perfectly, but if I click the "download" button the the TVersity app and have a folder selected I get a message saying "no files selected" (or something similar). I was hoping to just copy my "music" folder with all the sub folders of artists/albums to the ps3 in one easy step. Is this possible?

Thanks!
post #8 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by skro View Post

I've got a fairly simple question I'm hoping someone can answer. I can't find the documentation now, but I remember reading that you can trasfer entire folders to the PS3 using Tversity. My Tversity is set up and everything streams to the PS3 perfectly, but if I click the "download" button the the TVersity app and have a folder selected I get a message saying "no files selected" (or something similar). I was hoping to just copy my "music" folder with all the sub folders of artists/albums to the ps3 in one easy step. Is this possible?

Thanks!

OK, maybe I misunderstood the tversity directions. I see now that I can copy whole folders from the PS3 XMB.... I suppose that is what they meant. Cool. It is just as easy!
post #9 of 314
Yea, I don't think TVersity would actually copy it and plant it into the PS3 HDD ... you have to do that on the PS3 side. Good to hear thats its something that easy as to just copy and paste.
post #10 of 314
I finally got TVersity to work a month or so ago. Good times were soon to follow with the addition of uSirius and other internet radio stations. Anyway, I still have some trouble when viewing videos through TVersity on the PS3. I think my computer lacks the memory and processor speed to transcode WMV. They work well when I stream them to the 360. But at the same time, I can't stream Sirius or other internet radio to my 360. Overall, it is an excellent program.
post #11 of 314
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Nupe View Post

I finally got TVersity to work a month or so ago. Good times were soon to follow with the addition of uSirius and other internet radio stations. Anyway, I still have some trouble when viewing videos through TVersity on the PS3. I think my computer lacks the memory and processor speed to transcode WMV. They work well when I stream them to the 360. But at the same time, I can't stream Sirius or other internet radio to my 360. Overall, it is an excellent program.

Are the WMV's at HD resolution? You do need some healthy processor power and a strong network connect to transcode 1920x1080 video without any stuttering.
post #12 of 314
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krieger119 View Post

I never even heard of FLAC ... and its lossless? Plz don't give me something else to do with all my music lol.

FLAC is the Free Lossless Audio Codec. Wiki explains it better than I can.

Hope I didn't open up a new can of worms for you...
post #13 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Avarice_ View Post

FLAC is the Free Lossless Audio Codec. Wiki explains it better than I can.

Hope I didn't open up a new can of worms for you...

LOL ... with all the trouble I'm having trying to get this network between the PS3 and the PC running at a good rate, I'm not trying to get into anything else lol
post #14 of 314
Ever since I installed TVersity, my PS3 can't sign in automatically to my PSN ID ... why?
post #15 of 314
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krieger119 View Post

Ever since I installed TVersity, my PS3 can't sign in automatically to my PSN ID ... why?

Errr, that's an odd one. Since you installed TVersity on your PC/laptop you can't sign in automatically on the PS3??

Is the auto sign-in still checked under your account?
post #16 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Avarice_ View Post

Are the WMV's at HD resolution? You do need some healthy processor power and a strong network connect to transcode 1920x1080 video without any stuttering.

They are HD vids from Gametrailers. I just view them on the 360. I'd need the Cell processor on my PC to transcode them on my PS3.
post #17 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krieger119 View Post

What do you mean what media servers? Isn't TVersity the media server?

Is it? I guess I misunderstood then. I thought from the description that it was an encoder/decoder rather than a server to actually play the content via PS3.
post #18 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Avarice_ View Post

I, myself, am having an issue with the transcoding of some files. I've ripped most of my music in the lossless FLAC file type. Has anybody had success transcoding this extension through TVersity?

It should work automatically, correct?


You don't wanna transcode flac files anyway. Then there not lossless anymore.
post #19 of 314
I'm guessing this wouldn't work well when transcoding HD video from a PC? For some reason my computer blue screens whenever I try to convert files to mp4 using ps3video9.
post #20 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Avarice_ View Post

Errr, that's an odd one. Since you installed TVersity on your PC/laptop you can't sign in automatically on the PS3??

Is the auto sign-in still checked under your account?

Yea, still checked and it always says that the sign in timed out.
post #21 of 314
is anyone using vista with tversity? i can't get the ps3 to find the media server, only the wmp one. I've turned off wmp sharing and have disabled the firewall but it wont work. any thoughts?
post #22 of 314
I did a manual wired configuration on the PS3 ... so far, music videos are playing well. However, when I try to play movies or anything about 20 minutes or longer in length, the screen just goes black when I click it for about a minute then it goes back to the XMB and says "A Network error occurred" ... any ideas? /cry I'm trying to keep my sanity lol
post #23 of 314
Thread Starter 
Filetype?

What are you transcoder settings? Optimized for quality or speed? Resolution?
post #24 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Avarice_ View Post

Filetype?

What are you transcoder settings? Optimized for quality or speed? Resolution?

Filetype is MPEG-2
Transcoder settings:
Only when needed
(unchecked) Decrease the bitrate if it is too high for my network
Video Resolution 1920 x 1080
Image Resolution 1280 x 1024
Quality
Wired
Excellent
Minimum
(checked) Decode the media as fast as possible
post #25 of 314
Thread Starter 
Hmmm....I've yet to try and stream anything of that length, so I can't offer any firsthand experience. I was hoping there'd be something glaring in transcoding settings that might cause it, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

I'd browse those TVersity forums to see if anyone has reported similar issues. The program is certainly a work in progress and the developers frequent the forum.
post #26 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinez9049 View Post

is anyone using vista with tversity? i can't get the ps3 to find the media server, only the wmp one. I've turned off wmp sharing and have disabled the firewall but it wont work. any thoughts?

I had some issues getting the windows firewall (built-in to Vista) set up right but eventually got it working. I even have it so it only allows a specific list of IP addresses through to the media server. Can you access it from the web browser on the host PC? What about from another PC on your network?
post #27 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krieger119 View Post

Yea, still checked and it always says that the sign in timed out.

Whenever I have Tversity running and boot up the PS3 with it enabled to search for media servers, it bumps me off of IRC and kills another PC's IM client. It's bizarre.
post #28 of 314
I may look into a new router ... as recommended by exodu5 in another thread ... maybe that'll help.
post #29 of 314
my tversity software hangs up, while refreshing, cant share, icon turns pink
post #30 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post

my tversity software hangs up, while refreshing, cant share, icon turns pink

yea, it was doing that to me sometimes as well ... go on Youtube and search for TVersity tutorial and there a video on how to set it up and you should be good to go ... hopefully.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PlayStation Area
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › PlayStation Area › **TVersity-->PS3 Master Thread** Users, please chime in!