or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › DIY Speakers and Subs › 4 18" 5400's powered by 2 qsc rmx 5050's
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

4 18" 5400's powered by 2 qsc rmx 5050's - Page 54

post #1591 of 1767
I work for a food distribution company, (Boar's Head) and I'm going through a lot of things that are similar to what you're going through, specially co-workers calling in with all kinds of excuses so they don't have to work. At the end of the day, the work still has to be done, with one, two or three guys down. To me these people don't care about anybody else, just themselves.

It's rare when I miss a day of work and when I do, it's not because I'm drunk or feel lazy to get up. It's in society overall, lack of morals and it's only going to get worse. I'm sure the economy is not helping the matter any, people are more moody, no patience, etc. Bottom line, stick to your values no matter what goes on around you.
post #1592 of 1767
I am in 100% agreement with you Robert,

I have noticed the work ethic of a lot of people have gone down. It seems that people want to work half as much for twice the pay when in actuality it is the other way around now, especially in this economy.

I remember watching an episode of Flip this House and Armando Montelongo tried to help a couple avoid foreclosure. This couple acted as if they were owed something just because the husband was laid off. They eventually lost the house when they were unwilling to compromise. I read later on that Armando told the home owner to find any job so he can keep up with the payments but he said since he made $250K before it was not worth his time to work for even $50K a year. That was one of the most frustrating episodes I have ever seen and if that was a family member of mine I would have taken then to a back room to explain how dumb they were being.

I have been brought up like you as well. I don't ever expect anything given to me that I did not earn.
So many people today feel they are owed something even if they did not do what was required to achieve it. I just don't understand that logic, it is like expecting grass to grow even if you don't water it.

I am self employed as well in a luxury item field so we felt this slow down coming about 4 years ago. The only good thing about that is you can prepare. While everyone was buying things they couldn't afford left and right we were selling and saving, if we didn't do this we would have been gone a few years ago. I spoke with the VP of sales for Von Schweikert about 6 months ago and he told me they started to feel the slow down about the same time.

The only thing I can gather from this attitude that seems to be prevalent in this Country right now is people are depressed. When you go from living the life of the rich with other peoples money to losing most if not all there self worth must be very low. I don't feel sorry for them since they were unrealistic to believe they could afford a $500K house while only making $50K a year but I understand.

I just hope everyone learns a lesson from this horrible economy and we bounce back strong. We need to stop being the Country that consumes the most but produces less and less every year.
post #1593 of 1767
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by spanish68 View Post

I work for a food distribution company, (Boar's Head) and I'm going through a lot of things that are similar to what you're going through, specially co-workers calling in with all kinds of excuses so they don't have to work. At the end of the day, the work still has to be done, with one, two or three guys down. To me these people don't care about anybody else, just themselves.

It's rare when I miss a day of work and when I do, it's not because I'm drunk or feel lazy to get up. It's in society overall, lack of morals and it's only going to get worse. I'm sure the economy is not helping the matter any, people are more moody, no patience, etc. Bottom line, stick to your values no matter what goes on around you.


Spanish68,

You definitely hit the nail on the head. The work needs to be done rain or shine. I just finished 80% of a full day with a crew by myself. That does not compute in my head. That really means that I am only getting 20% extra with help. And here is the kicker. I know I did a better job by myself. Nothing missed or repeated. I did not even have to tell anyone to get off the phone at all. Anyway, I am off to collect-maybe I should rephrase that- try to collect rent. I almost can guaranty I won't get it. It is a pity, they can destroy the property and not pay and I get the shaft in the process. They lose nothing. Until the laws change and make renters responsible for breaking leases and destroying property, Things will not change. Wish me luck.


Robert
post #1594 of 1767
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaudio View Post

I am in 100% agreement with you Robert,

I have noticed the work ethic of a lot of people have gone down. It seems that people want to work half as much for twice the pay when in actuality it is the other way around now, especially in this economy.

I remember watching an episode of Flip this House and Armando Montelongo tried to help a couple avoid foreclosure. This couple acted as if they were owed something just because the husband was laid off. They eventually lost the house when they were unwilling to compromise. I read later on that Armando told the home owner to find any job so he can keep up with the payments but he said since he made $250K before it was not worth his time to work for even $50K a year. That was one of the most frustrating episodes I have ever seen and if that was a family member of mine I would have taken then to a back room to explain how dumb they were being.

I have been brought up like you as well. I don't ever expect anything given to me that I did not earn.
So many people today feel they are owed something even if they did not do what was required to achieve it. I just don't understand that logic, it is like expecting grass to grow even if you don't water it.

I am self employed as well in a luxury item field so we felt this slow down coming about 4 years ago. The only good thing about that is you can prepare. While everyone was buying things they couldn't afford left and right we were selling and saving, if we didn't do this we would have been gone a few years ago. I spoke with the VP of sales for Von Schweikert about 6 months ago and he told me they started to feel the slow down about the same time.

The only thing I can gather from this attitude that seems to be prevalent in this Country right now is people are depressed. When you go from living the life of the rich with other peoples money to losing most if not all there self worth must be very low. I don't feel sorry for them since they were unrealistic to believe they could afford a $500K house while only making $50K a year but I understand.

I just hope everyone learns a lesson from this horrible economy and we bounce back strong. We need to stop being the Country that consumes the most but produces less and less every year.

I am with you all the way. I see waste all around me. Nothing wrong with buying things, but to finance debts and use credit to get things we want instead of need is completely wrong. Buying beyond our means is a sure road to disaster. I am glad I never had the desire to go the Mcmansion route. If I can't build it and pay for it, I do not want it. That 500k house you mentioned is going to end up costing 1.5 million with taxes, ins, and interest over a lifetime. On 50k before taxes per year, that is a stretch. I would say almost impossible if cars and kids and school and etc is factored in.
post #1595 of 1767
Wishing you luck!
post #1596 of 1767
robertcharles, I wish you the best, you'll need it!
post #1597 of 1767
Good luck on those rentals Robert.

I know I just got back into real estate myself and dealings with tenants can be a real pain. I agree with you about the laws needing to be changed to protect both parties more fairly.

At least you can be secure in the fact your work ethic and values will take you far and provide for your family. Your a good example of the kind of people this Country needs more of.
post #1598 of 1767
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaudio View Post

Good luck on those rentals Robert.

I know I just got back into real estate myself and dealings with tenants can be a real pain. I agree with you about the laws needing to be changed to protect both parties more fairly.

At least you can be secure in the fact your work ethic and values will take you far and provide for your family. Your a good example of the kind of people this Country needs more of.



No luck on the tenants. She actually called me late tonight. At least I got a return call. I did not expect that. Anyhow, Has anyone upgraded to 7.1 yet?

Is there a major difference in the experience. I am only doing it because my 5.1 pre amp died and I went with an Integra. I am still working the kinks out of that, but anyhow, 7.1 is available, so why not have and use the option.

Any thoughts?
post #1599 of 1767
I had always been OK with 5.1 until a friend of mine who bought the same pre-pro told me how good Pro-Logic IIX is in music mode. It really is a big difference from regular PL-II for music. On movies it just depends on the content on whether it is worth it. I think you are using direct firing surrounds instead of dipoles so in your case it would probably make a bigger difference.

With your big room I would think 7.1 would be a good next step, for smaller rooms it is not as effective.

A lot of people will probably chime in and say that there are not a lot of movies with discrete 7.1 channel tracks but your Integra can probably add PLIIx processing to the 5.1 channel tracks. I don't know that particular model but most current processors can.
post #1600 of 1767
Hi Robert,

When I was at your house in July, I remember you said you didn't have many local friends that appreciated home audio/theatre the way you do. I ran across a thread that may help out. The guy that hosted this G2G/club lives in Destrehan and is a very active member of the Hawthorne Audio forum. I have the Duet version of these OB speakers, and I must say they sound great. His Trios are even better with an additional OB bass driver per side and the upgraded Sterling Silver Iris coax mid/tweeter. They are very articulate and dynamic, but of course I can't get anywhere near the dB levels you can. Maybe I'll get a little closer after I add my IB subs. Anyway, hope you can get something out of this link. At least the acronym for the club, NOOBS, is interesting.

http://www.hawthorneaudio.com/forums...terling#p36601

-Darrell
post #1601 of 1767
Robert, I agree with mjaudio. With PLIIx processing, direct firing surrounds and a good sized room 7.2 is the way to go. I have 7.1 in my downstairs room and I like it better than when I had 5.1. I keep debating with myself regarding my small upstairs room. I currently have 5.6 (6 subs), but I have another pair of matching speakers (all 7 the same) that I have not installed. If I did not have to run speaker wire in the walls I would have tried it already.
post #1602 of 1767
As far as people and work I know exactly what you mean. As you know I am a commercial contractor. For the last year work has basically been non existent. i was raised much like you. My father put me on a construction site when I was 11 or 12 years old. Also like you I do not belive going in debt for a toy. I am referring to cars, boats and AV equipment. We have a nice sized home, but that is because I built the house myself and I also built the addition. Paid for the addition with cash. Since I am self employed I have always saved my pennies for a rainy day. While many of our friends bought large fancy houses and nice cars we saved a lot of our money and I sure am glad that we did.

Right now people will sell their soul to get a construction project and they have thrown ethics out the window.
post #1603 of 1767
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg100 View Post

Robert, I agree with mjaudio. With PLIIx processing, direct firing surrounds and a good sized room 7.2 is the way to go. I have 7.1 in my downstairs room and I like it better than when I had 5.1. I keep debating with myself regarding my small upstairs room. I currently have 5.6 (6 subs), but I have another pair of matching speakers (all 7 the same) that I have not installed. If I did not have to run speaker wire in the walls I would have tried it already.



I guess more is possibly better in this situation. In the past I was of the school of "If it was recorded one way, then it should be best enjoyed that way. The processing is probably getting better, so why not try it. I could always just not use the other channels if I do not like the outcome. I wish I knew someone with a 7.1 setup. Heck, I wish I knew someone close with a 5.1.

Good luck,

Robert
post #1604 of 1767
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellh44 View Post

Hi Robert,

When I was at your house in July, I remember you said you didn't have many local friends that appreciated home audio/theatre the way you do. I ran across a thread that may help out. The guy that hosted this G2G/club lives in Destrehan and is a very active member of the Hawthorne Audio forum. I have the Duet version of these OB speakers, and I must say they sound great. His Trios are even better with an additional OB bass driver per side and the upgraded Sterling Silver Iris coax mid/tweeter. They are very articulate and dynamic, but of course I can't get anywhere near the dB levels you can. Maybe I'll get a little closer after I add my IB subs. Anyway, hope you can get something out of this link. At least the acronym for the club, NOOBS, is interesting.

http://www.hawthorneaudio.com/forums...terling#p36601

-Darrell


Thanks for the info. I have been in a world of problems lately, and things have slowed tremendously on the HT. I am working slowly on it and hopefully getting some progress in the next couple weeks. I will give the site a look.


Thanks,

Robert
post #1605 of 1767
Thread Starter 
Alright! I just got REW to work again. I had to purge my computer last week because of a virus, and what do you know- I reloaded, and it works. On any other day, I would be very happy with this situation, but yesterday was a bad day. I actually blew the rear end in my truck. Sounded like a bell being shattered. Amazing, it just happened at about 15 MPH. At least I am going to end the day on a good note.

Hey Brandon,

I have had the same problem with my cable for years-since Katrina. Around here, everything is "Since Katrina". My picture is like snow on that cable line. Rerunning new cables correctly is a project on my list that won't go away. I just keep looking at it and I seem to be used to it until someone mentions.
post #1606 of 1767


I am no longer a regular on this forum but...the news about C. Beltran! Holy F !

The world is realy going down the drain or what?

Hey I still want the other Acoupower drivers. That is one sick story.

What is next? We learn that another designer owner is a matian or special belt wearing guy with a one button joystick(the one you press onece and it is the last).
post #1607 of 1767
Thread Starter 
Hello,

Here's the latest information regarding the launch date of our new products.

All of our products will be available in eight weeks.

Here's the list of our products:

Epic 10D2" and 12D2"

Axis 12Q1" and 15Q1"

LMS-R 12" and 15" (This is the Revo with a 3" linear voice coil)

LMS Ultra 5400 18"

Pro Audio 18"

Aura Top Assembly 18"

VMP (Passive Radiators) 12", 15" and 18"

We made some major and some minor tweaks to everything.

All products have detachable top assemblies except for the Epics. You will be able to purchase top assemblies separately. Our new products will have silver baskets and black cones with TC Sounds logo. Also, we have new and improved packaging.

We are excepting pre-orders. We require a 50% deposit now and the remainder when the products ships. If you want to place a pre-order please contact julie@tcsounds.com. Our prices do not include shipping. If you need a shipping quote send your zip code along with your pre-order request and we can get you an estimated shipping cost.

Some of you know us as Audiopulse, TC Sounds used the name Audiopulse for a short time. We are switching back to our original name of TC Sounds.

Our website has not been updated yet, we apologize for the delay and any confusion this has caused.

We appreciate your support, thanks for choosing TC Sounds. Have a great day!
post #1608 of 1767
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertcharles View Post

Alright! I just got REW to work again. I had to purge my computer last week because of a virus, and what do you know- I reloaded, and it works. On any other day, I would be very happy with this situation, but yesterday was a bad day. I actually blew the rear end in my truck. Sounded like a bell being shattered. Amazing, it just happened at about 15 MPH. At least I am going to end the day on a good note.

Hey Brandon,

I have had the same problem with my cable for years-since Katrina. Around here, everything is "Since Katrina". My picture is like snow on that cable line. Rerunning new cables correctly is a project on my list that won't go away. I just keep looking at it and I seem to be used to it until someone mentions.

If you know how to run a ground correctly for the cable I am all ears. I have a feeling that I could do a better job than some hourly paid comcast employee.

I will have your DVD ready by the end of the week if not sooner. Still working on the videos but they are rough to get working. Still haven't been able to split one yet so until then I will just throw you together a DVD. I will try to add a couple good scenes at the end too but I am going to still try to get the same scenes on there. PM me your address so I can send it and the CD out to you when its done.
post #1609 of 1767
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonnash View Post

If you know how to run a ground correctly for the cable I am all ears. I have a feeling that I could do a better job than some hourly paid comcast employee.

I will have your DVD ready by the end of the week if not sooner. Still working on the videos but they are rough to get working. Still haven't been able to split one yet so until then I will just throw you together a DVD. I will try to add a couple good scenes at the end too but I am going to still try to get the same scenes on there. PM me your address so I can send it and the CD out to you when its done.

Is there a splitter where the cable comes into the house?

Is it connected to a ground wire?

Is there a water pipe anywhere close?
post #1610 of 1767
Single ground cable that the cable and phone and electricity are running off of. Water pipe from the gutter directly by the ground where it actually goes in the ground.
post #1611 of 1767
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonnash View Post

Single ground cable that the cable and phone and electricity are running off of. Water pipe from the gutter directly by the ground where it actually goes in the ground.


Is the connection good at the cable splice terminal? Disconnect it, and take a piece of any wire and go direct to ground. It has to be completely clean and clamped good on the pipe to know for sure. If it works, then you can get some ground wire from Home Deopt, and go directly from the pipe with a new wire clamp right to the splitter after you clean the splitter contact.

Give that a try.

Good luck,

Robert
post #1612 of 1767
Hey Robert,

Did TC Sounds give you any idea of pricing?
post #1613 of 1767
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaudio View Post

Hey Robert,

Did TC Sounds give you any idea of pricing?


No just the email about the actual drivers going to be available. Good to hear that much. Hopefully, they will be successful in the new venture.

Kyle,

I need an LMS 5400 top assembly for the other motor. Keep me informed.
post #1614 of 1767
Alright Robert, got the first "draft" of the demo dvd encoding and burning right now. I'm going to try it out on my system to see if it's any good. I went ahead and filled the dvd, but after I get done with watching it I'll cut it down some. I've got an absolute ton of stuff on there now. The only thing I may not have on the disc that was on the one at my place is the Jericho scene from Ironman. One of my kids got hold of the disc and scratched it. If I can salvage that scene then I'll throw it on there too. Right now I have mostly movie clips, but this time I've thrown some music on there too. I'll let you know how it goes. Did you decide on a date for your GTG? I'll try to make sure this dvd and the cd makes it down there in enough time for you to preview before the meet. I'm probably not going to be able to be there. My vacation week got cut short due to a couple people leaving from work. I'll make it down your way sometime to hear your stuff though.
post #1615 of 1767
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonnash View Post

Alright Robert, got the first "draft" of the demo dvd encoding and burning right now. I'm going to try it out on my system to see if it's any good. I went ahead and filled the dvd, but after I get done with watching it I'll cut it down some. I've got an absolute ton of stuff on there now. The only thing I may not have on the disc that was on the one at my place is the Jericho scene from Ironman. One of my kids got hold of the disc and scratched it. If I can salvage that scene then I'll throw it on there too. Right now I have mostly movie clips, but this time I've thrown some music on there too. I'll let you know how it goes. Did you decide on a date for your GTG? I'll try to make sure this dvd and the cd makes it down there in enough time for you to preview before the meet. I'm probably not going to be able to be there. My vacation week got cut short due to a couple people leaving from work. I'll make it down your way sometime to hear your stuff though.


As of right now, it does not look promising for the GTG in October. Either there is no interest in the event or I am being avoided like the plague. Either way, I want to get something going. I would love to get some of the systems in my home and see if the REW measures that are posted on some of the threads are valid when measured against something else and in other rooms. I think some of the REW measures may be off due to technical errors. I would love to compare one REW to another, so we can get some "valid" measures. I sure wish Josh could get down here. I think his measurement gear was pretty close because the curves kind of resembled what we should expect with the modeling software. I am suspect about all of the "room" gain I see in some of the graphs. Especially graphs of 1 - 15 with a few hundred watts behind it that shows mega in room response below 10 Hz. I want to hear a few of those systems as well as use the REW they used to measure mine also. But, does not seem to be possible anytime soon. I look like I will be traveling to do it. I got my REW to work now, so I will be measuring a few things soon. I want to put a sub in my big room and then measure it in a closet.
post #1616 of 1767
Thread Starter 
Brandon,


How is your ground problem?
post #1617 of 1767
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertcharles View Post

Brandon,


How is your ground problem?

Didn't get a chance to look at it. After making that dvd I watched the whole thing. That was just the first run. I'm going to sit down maybe tomorrow and take some notes on which scenes to keep and which to leave off. I'll mess with the ground tomorrow, but I have a weird feeling it's something I'm not going to be able to do. Don't know why, but just a feeling. Like the feeling of having to wait from noon till 4 for the cable man to come over and I'll have to be here cause I won't be able to explain to the wife what to tell the guy.
post #1618 of 1767
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonnash View Post

Didn't get a chance to look at it. After making that dvd I watched the whole thing. That was just the first run. I'm going to sit down maybe tomorrow and take some notes on which scenes to keep and which to leave off. I'll mess with the ground tomorrow, but I have a weird feeling it's something I'm not going to be able to do. Don't know why, but just a feeling. Like the feeling of having to wait from noon till 4 for the cable man to come over and I'll have to be here cause I won't be able to explain to the wife what to tell the guy.

Get a hose clamp and strap the water pipe, then run some speaker wire to the spliced cable and see if the ground effects the signal. disconnect the old ground. At least you will know if it is the ground.
post #1619 of 1767
I think I misunderstood you about the water pipe. There is water pipe going into the ground, its the pipe coming from the gutter to discharge water. As long as its not raining today...again, I am going to see how well planted the ground cable is today after I get home from work.

I know one scene I am going to add to the DVD. The final scene in fight club. That is some good very low bass. Be careful with that one.
post #1620 of 1767
Rob,

I wish I could make it, but October/November is a very busy time of year for me and Nola is either a very long drive, or a plane flight. If I'm heading down that way, I'd rather spend a few days on vacation and enjoy myself you know? If you set something else up for a later date I'll see what I can do.

Brando,

Get me a tracking # when you ship that HD back.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: DIY Speakers and Subs
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › DIY Speakers and Subs › 4 18" 5400's powered by 2 qsc rmx 5050's