or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Onkyo PR-SC885P Preamp thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Onkyo PR-SC885P Preamp thread - Page 176

post #5251 of 5571
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post

I paid less than that 18 months ago from shoponkyo.com for my 885...with warranty
Warren

I did as well but for around $600.00 that is a great prepro for a fair price.

Bill
post #5252 of 5571
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post

I paid less than that 18 months ago from shoponkyo.com for my 885...with warranty




Warren

That deal has been gone for a long time...it was a great deal, but an 886 at that price today is a great deal.
post #5253 of 5571
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtart View Post

That deal has been gone for a long time...it was a great deal, but an 886 at that price today is a great deal.

The ad was for an 885
If I were looking today it might be for a 5507...HOWEVER I have reason to believe the sound would be about the same

I would like to have a unit that had a better analog section...but oh well



Warren
post #5254 of 5571
Hi,

Just got a 5507 and would like to access and play 24/96 flac files from my Mac. My options seem to be through a DLNA sever, a USB network device (formatted Fat32) or rip DVD-Audio and play on my Denon 3910 which has a pretty good DAC.

I'd rather not buy more hardware if I don't have to. I also have Apple TV, Time Machine and a ps3. Can I do this through DLNA software and my wireless network? Any help would be greatly appreciated.



Thanks.
post #5255 of 5571
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearsFan View Post

Hi,

Just got a 5507 and would like to access and play 24/96 flac files from my Mac. My options seem to be through a DLNA sever, a USB network device (formatted Fat32) or rip DVD-Audio and play on my Denon 3910 which has a pretty good DAC.

I'd rather not buy more hardware if I don't have to. I also have Apple TV, Time Machine and a ps3. Can I do this through DLNA software and my wireless network? Any help would be greatly appreciated.



Thanks.

You might want to ask your question in the 5507 thread.

Bill
post #5256 of 5571
Does anybody have v1.05 firmware???

I went to do an Audyssey Pro calibration on a unit just bought used by a friend and found that it has 1.04 on it. I have 1.08 and tried to upgrade, but after a whole lotta "SEARCHING F/W .... " I found that it needed to go to 1.05 first. Doh!

Jeff
post #5257 of 5571
I believe I might have stumbled onto something interesting. I had my house to myself this morning so I thought I would listen to some music. After an hour or so of listening with my Parasound 2100, BDP-83SE and Salk SongTowers I thought I would compare the 886 to the 2100. I tried the 886 in Stereo (using the HDMI input) with Audyssey and then switched back in forth between the 2100 (Stereo analog output of the 83SE) and much preferred the 2100. Then I tried the Pure Audio mode (HDMI) to the 2100 and of course the 2100 sounds better as I lose the sub when in Pure Audio mode.

Now I did not find the soundstage or imaging was askew with the 886 just that the overall SQ was better with the 2100. The vocals were still centered but the dispersion was not as wide and deep as with the 2100. When using Audyssey in the Stereo mode I found the SQ was congested and imaging overall was not as good as with the 2100. In the Pure Audio mode it was somewhat better but not by much.

Now I'm thinking that testing the analog inputs of the 886 would be a good idea but I did not feel like changing the Stereo outputs from the 2100 to the 886. I have the 5.1 output of the 83SE connected to the 886 so I figured I would compare the 5.1 analog input of the 886 to the 2100. Well I have to say I am shocked at how good the 5.1 analog input of the 886 sounds. I have been listening to Patricia Barber's Verse CD and I'm quite surprised how good the 886 sounds.

The biggest surprise for me is that when comparing the 5.1 analog of the 886 to the 2100 is that the sub plays in both Direct and Pure Audio. At first I thought the sub signal was coming from the 2100 but I powered off the 2100 and sure enough I have my sub playing. I even disconnected the HDMI cable and sure enough the sub is still playing.

So several things surprise me with this comparison. First is how good the 886 sounds when using the 5.1 analog input. Second is that the sub is playing when listening to a 2CH CD with the 5.1 analog input. I assumed there was no bass management when using the 886's 5.1 analog input but I guess the bass management is being done by the 83SE. I'm also hearing how good the multichannel DACs are with the 83SE.

I'm sitting here listening and I still can't believe how good the 886 sounds. I kept thinking well I must have something wrong here but I checked and double checked and only the 886, 83SE, BA A7200 amp and my Anti-Mode 8033 are active in the signal path.

So if there are any other 885/886 owners looking for better analog SQ I would strongly suggest you try using the 5.1 analog input if you have the 83SE or the stock 83 for that matter. I hope someone else tries this so I will know that I'm not mistaken. I just started Beck's Sea Change HDCD and the SQ is excellent!

In the end I still prefer the SQ of the 2100 as the SQ just seems to have a little more space to it but it is very close. I wanted to add that although I have all the 5.1 cables connnected between the 83SE and the 886 all the above listening/comparison was with just my Front R&L speakers and my Rythmik F12SE sub.


Bill
post #5258 of 5571
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Does anybody have v1.05 firmware???

I went to do an Audyssey Pro calibration on a unit just bought used by a friend and found that it has 1.04 on it. I have 1.08 and tried to upgrade, but after a whole lotta "SEARCHING F/W .... " I found that it needed to go to 1.05 first. Doh!

Jeff

I just checked, and all I have is 1.08. Sorry. Hopefully, someone will have a copy.
post #5259 of 5571
Bill, I'm not sure how the Oppo would be sending bass management through if the disc is not a 5.1 surround sound ecoded disc? Or is it ?
post #5260 of 5571
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCIFRTHS View Post

I just checked, and all I have is 1.08. Sorry. Hopefully, someone will have a copy.

I have the 1.5 update package for the Integra DTC9.8 but I do not know if it is compatible.
post #5261 of 5571
Quote:
Originally Posted by neekos View Post

Bill, I'm not sure how the Oppo would be sending bass management through if the disc is not a 5.1 surround sound ecoded disc? Or is it ?

You can bass manage any recording regardless of the number of channels.
post #5262 of 5571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

I have the 1.5 update package for the Integra DTC9.8 but I do not know if it is compatible.

It is.

Jeff
post #5263 of 5571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

You can bass manage any recording regardless of the number of channels.

hmm, never knew that..thanks
post #5264 of 5571
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

It is.

Jeff

PM me with an email address and I will send it to you.

Kal
post #5265 of 5571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
You can bass manage any recording regardless of the number of channels.
Now I'm confused...

I thought the analogue mch input was not digitised but passed through... Which means no Audissey .... ie no bass management.

Now we are saying it DOES have bass management - doesn't that imply:
1) all 6 channels have ADC and get converted to digital
2) processed by Audissey (+ whatever surround options are selected)
3) Has bass management
4) Multi Conversion (DAC-Analogue Interconnect-ADC-Processing-DAC-Amp)

Mind you I'm saying this without scrambling and searching through the manual.

But if it does indeed provide better Stereo SQ.....
post #5266 of 5571
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlaloum View Post

Now I'm confused...

I thought the analogue mch input was not digitised but passed through... Which means no Audissey .... ie no bass management.

Now we are saying it DOES have bass management - doesn't that imply:
1) all 6 channels have ADC and get converted to digital
2) processed by Audissey (+ whatever surround options are selected)
3) Has bass management
4) Multi Conversion (DAC-Analogue Interconnect-ADC-Processing-DAC-Amp)

Mind you I'm saying this without scrambling and searching through the manual.

But if it does indeed provide better Stereo SQ.....

This has jumped around, but Kal is saying that the Oppo can bass manage regardless of the number of channels in the source content. The 885's analogue multichannel bypass ... bypasses all circuitry except for master volume.
post #5267 of 5571
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlaloum View Post

Now I'm confused...

I thought the analogue mch input was not digitised but passed through... Which means no Audissey .... ie no bass management.

Now we are saying it DOES have bass management - doesn't that imply:
1) all 6 channels have ADC and get converted to digital
2) processed by Audissey (+ whatever surround options are selected)
3) Has bass management
4) Multi Conversion (DAC-Analogue Interconnect-ADC-Processing-DAC-Amp)

Mind you I'm saying this without scrambling and searching through the manual.

But if it does indeed provide better Stereo SQ.....

Sorry for the confusion. I was surprised myself when I played a 2CH CD and I had my sub playing with 7.1 analog input. But as Jeff mentions and Kal commented on is that the BDP-83SE was handing the bass management. No Audyssey or choice of surround mode options with the 7.1 analog input. The only choices I found were Direct or Pure Audio. To my ears the SQ was very good.

Bill
post #5268 of 5571
That makes sense. I got confused as well thinking the Onkyo was applying base management.

Thanks Bill.
post #5269 of 5571
I was referring to the bass management in the Oppo.
post #5270 of 5571
yup, got it. Thanks Kal.

PS. Do you know if the balanced inputs on the 885 and the 9.8 are a straight path (just volume ?) such as the multi channel inputs? or are all they tied in to all the other circuits ?
post #5271 of 5571
Quote:
Originally Posted by neekos View Post
yup, got it. Thanks Kal.

PS. Do you know if the balanced inputs on the 885 and the 9.8 are a straight path (just volume ?) such as the multi channel inputs? or are all they tied in to all the other circuits ?
I do not recall with sufficient clarity to comment.
post #5272 of 5571
fair enough, thanks
post #5273 of 5571
I have not been using my 885 for video processing - not even pass-through. I seem to recall that there were some unresolved issues with the 885 and video processing... Was it upscaling / deinterlacing, color space and not passing 1080p/24 or 1080p/60 properly unless the 885 was set to pass through (which defeats using the video processing in the 885)?

Any info or links would be greatly appreciated, as I am considering consolidating equipment, and removing my EDGE from the loop.
post #5274 of 5571
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCIFRTHS View Post

I have not been using my 885 for video processing - not even pass-through. I seem to recall that there were some unresolved issues with the 885 and video processing... Was it upscaling / deinterlacing, color space and not passing 1080p/24 or 1080p/60 properly unless the 885 was set to pass through (which defeats using the video processing in the 885)?

Any info or links would be greatly appreciated, as I am considering consolidating equipment, and removing my EDGE from the loop.

My 885 passes 24p just fine. Processing is done in my JVC HD750.

It's hard to believe the 885 is better at vp than the edge.
post #5275 of 5571
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCIFRTHS View Post

I have not been using my 885 for video processing - not even pass-through. I seem to recall that there were some unresolved issues with the 885 and video processing... Was it upscaling / deinterlacing, color space and not passing 1080p/24 or 1080p/60 properly unless the 885 was set to pass through (which defeats using the video processing in the 885)?

Any info or links would be greatly appreciated, as I am considering consolidating equipment, and removing my EDGE from the loop.

The colospace issue was never corrected (well, they fixed it in the 886) and only impacts scaling SD sources to HD resolutions, if I remember correctly.
post #5276 of 5571
Can I use a componet video cable to VGA D-Sub to connect to a Dell PC Monitor just to run Audyssey? Would I get at least the setup menu?
post #5277 of 5571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samaritano View Post

Can I use a componet video cable to VGA D-Sub to connect to a Dell PC Monitor just to run Audyssey? Would I get at least the setup menu?

No. I had a component to VGA cable kicking around and I've tried this and it will not work. Sorry I can't give the technical reason.
post #5278 of 5571
Of all the audio options, what is the best way to convert a Dolby / DTS 5.1 to 7.1 without affecting the correct decodification of the sound? thanks in advance
post #5279 of 5571
If you are concerned with it being "correct" you probably wouldn't want to expand 5.1 to 7.1 at all. If you do want to expand 5.1 to 7.1, the "best" option is the one that sounds better to you. Just try them out and see what you like.

Me? I liked Dolby PLIIx Movie when I was still running a 7.1 system. I've down-sized back to 5.1 now, though, after deciding that those two speakers are far more useful as another zone.
post #5280 of 5571
I loved my 885, but I just upgraded to the Integra 80.2 and it's nice. I sure miss the quiet HDMI relays though.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Onkyo PR-SC885P Preamp thread