or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › Californication on SHO
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Californication on SHO - Page 2

post #31 of 1028
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I like Duchovny, too. I liked him a lot in The X-Files, so much that I have watched several old episodes of X-Files on TNT HD, although they were shown in Stretchovision. That's the acid test of loyalty to any show or actor, trust me.

Have you watched "Playing God?
post #32 of 1028
I have caught the previews for Californication several times and each time I see it I wonder to myself "who would want to watch this garbage?"
From what I have seen of the previews, it appears that a single father of a young daughter is sluting himself around like an alley cat while his daughter tries to make heads or tails of it.
No thanks.

Sometimes I think I am the only person on this planet who is offended by this kind of nonsense.
I'm not trying to pass judgement (or maybe I am) but I would seriously question myself if I found these kinds of scenarios funny or entertaining.
post #33 of 1028
This show looks to be in the tradition of bawdy, raunchy comedy (and the welcome return of gratuitous nudity!) we haven't really seen on TV since HBO's 'Dream On' more than a decade back. Showtime has already shown a certain fearlessness in producing its acclaimed 'Weeds' (and a thumb in the eye to those remaining handful of self-righteous ninnys who still think marijuana prohibition is a good idea). I'm looking forward to it.

And Magic - I'm sure some obscure cable network is still showing 'Touched By An Angel' reruns, just for folks like you. The big tent of the television universe has something for everyone.
post #34 of 1028
Thread Starter 
Saw a new (to me) promo which appeared to be a fully disrobed Paula Marshall getting critiqued by Duchovny's character.
post #35 of 1028
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

And Magic - I'm sure some obscure cable network is still showing 'Touched By An Angel' reruns, just for folks like you.

Poking fun at my morality does not change the fact that this show is filled with disgusting behavior.
The fact that you find it so entertaining suggests to me that you are probably just as morally bankrupt as they are.

And, FYI I have never seen an episode of "Touched by an Angel".
post #36 of 1028
A review of the first episode mentioned "more breasts than a chicken coop"... must see tv???
post #37 of 1028
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicGarden View Post

Poking fun at my morality does not change the fact that this show is filled with disgusting behavior.
The fact that you find it so entertaining suggests to me that you are probably just as morally bankrupt as they are.

And, FYI I have never seen an episode of "Touched by an Angel".

Boy, you are a piece of work. Trying to apply your individual standards of "morality" to the rest of the world must be terribly tiring for you. Maybe you could start resting up by resisting the urge to tell others how morally bankrupt they are, and start asking yourself why you have such a perverse need to do so.

'Touched by an Angel' is conveniently available on DVD, just for you; you'll love it. Rejoice! Meanwhile, millions of the rest of us not swimming in self-righteousness will watch and enjoy every single episode of 'Califorication' while somehow managing to avoid eternal damnation. Sucks for you, I know, but I'll try not to lose any sleep over it.
post #38 of 1028
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Boy, you are a piece of work. Trying to apply your individual standards of "morality" to the rest of the world must be terribly tiring for you. Maybe you could start resting up by resisting the urge to tell others how morally bankrupt they are, and start asking yourself why you have such a perverse need to do so.

'Touched by an Angel' is conveniently available on DVD, just for you; you'll love it. Rejoice! Meanwhile, millions of the rest of us not swimming in self-righteousness will watch and enjoy every single episode of 'Califorication' while somehow managing to avoid eternal damnation. Sucks for you, I know, but I'll try not to lose any sleep over it.

My, someone is awfully touchy...
post #39 of 1028
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicGarden View Post

My, someone is awfully touchy...

When I get called "morally bankrupt" for finding previews for a mainstream television show amusing, especially one that has yet to air its first episode, that has a tendency to hit the "touchy" response. You don't want to know who I consider really, truly morally bankrupt, but you probably vote for 'em.
post #40 of 1028
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

When I get called "morally bankrupt" for finding previews for a mainstream television show amusing, especially one that has yet to air its first episode, that has a tendency to hit the "touchy" response.


That's understandable. Most people don't like having their morality questioned.
post #41 of 1028
Without naming any names here, let me say that I think it's all right to rail against any TV show because what we like and approve of or don't is all a matter of taste and opinion. But condemning a show on moral grounds and suggesting that I or anyone else should question myself if I found these kinds of scenarios funny or entertaining is offensive, at least to me. Think about it.

I am looking forward to Californication more than ever, not least because it is apparently going to make the self-appointed Morality Police CRAZY.
post #42 of 1028
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Without naming any names here, let me say that I think it's all right to rail against any TV show because what we like and approve of or don't is all a matter of taste and opinion. But condemning a show on moral grounds and suggesting that I or anyone else should question myself if I found these kinds of scenarios funny or entertaining is offensive, at least to me. Think about it.

Would you say the same thing if the show showed children being raped? Probably not, because you would find that morally offensive, and you would openly question how someone could find that to be entertaining.
The difference between you and I is simply in what we find offensive, so think about THAT before you start calling people "self-appointed morality police".
post #43 of 1028
Please, let's stop the bickering. Voice all the opinions you want about the show, but let it stop there.

larry
post #44 of 1028
Thread Starter 
If the whole concept of the show is offensive to you - it is likely that any discussion of the show will also offend you. It would be best if you just avoid the thread entirely.
post #45 of 1028
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

Please, let's stop the bickering. Voice all the opinions you want about the show, but let it stop there.

larry

10-4, I'm out of here.

Have a good day, everybody.
post #46 of 1028
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

If the whole concept of the show is offensive to you - it is likely that any discussion of the show will also offend you. It would be best if you just avoid the thread entirely.


Agreed.
post #47 of 1028
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

If the whole concept of the show is offensive to you - it is likely that any discussion of the show will also offend you. It would be best if you just avoid the thread entirely.

A voice of reason speaks. I might add a bit more advice: When you find yourself in a hole, stop digging.
post #48 of 1028
Here is a little more advice: Don't take a cheap-shot while I'm halfway out the door or I will tear you a new one...
post #49 of 1028
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicGarden View Post

Here is a little more advice: Don't take a cheap-shot while I'm halfway out the door or I will tear you a new one...

Not a very "moral" attitude after you initiated the whole affaire with your intolerant rant. How shocking!
post #50 of 1028
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Not a very "moral" attitude after you initiated the whole affaire with your intolerant rant. How shocking!

Please, that was weak.
post #51 of 1028
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicGarden View Post

Here is a little more advice: Don't take a cheap-shot while I'm halfway out the door or I will tear you a new one...

You are right. I should have looked at the latest posts to the thread before I posted and seen that you had already taken the course that I suggested -- too late. My apologies.
post #52 of 1028
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

You are right. I should have looked at the latest posts to the thread before I posted and seen that you had already taken the course that I suggested -- too late. My apologies.


Apologies accepted.
post #53 of 1028
Some people, I tell ya ... so can a mod DELETE all the garbage to get back on track here.

I watched it a few weeks ago and am looking forward to the rest of the season. Cant understand why DD hasnt done more comedic stuff or more of anything really.

a good 2hr lineup (for me of course) would be Curb, Entourage, this and Conchords. ya basically get a taste of everythin...
post #54 of 1028
Looking forward to tonights episode.
post #55 of 1028
I loved the show. Definitely be watching from now on.
post #56 of 1028
I dream of californication...
Not since dream on has a comedy been so full of awesome.
post #57 of 1028
Wow. I have to say that I was thoroughly impressed with the show. For some reason its like a cross of sex from Duchovny's old days in Red Shoe Diaries mixed in with a little bit of that dry and sarcastic humor that Mulder would show on X-Files. There are very few shows on television where the main character is dynamic enough to hog most of the attention, and I think his character in this show has the right mix of humor, desperation, love, and hate all rolled up into one unpredictable mess that could keep us on our toes if the writers keep an interesting story running. I thought the scenes of him in the theater and his thoughts of the lady at the dinner table were priceless.
post #58 of 1028
a self-loathing black comedy with heart...I love it

"F*ck."

Greatness
post #59 of 1028
Hank rawks!
Kicking the s**t outta the guy with the cell in the theater was awesome.
post #60 of 1028
I thought it was OK, but not great. Maybe too much hype beforehand or something. I liked the writing, and will keep watching. I'm just not goo goo over it yet. It does look promising though...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › Californication on SHO