or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The "Official" Onkyo TX-NR905 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The "Official" Onkyo TX-NR905 Thread - Page 293

post #8761 of 8818
Hello,

I have just bought the Oppo BDP-105, which is a fantastic machine.
What I am tryong to do is hook the Oppo up to my TX-NR 905 via HDMI in order to have the real lossless audio. That however does not seem to work.
As of now I do not have an HDMI TV set yet, the HDMI monitor out is turned off.

The audio workd fine over coax digital from the Oppo however the TX-NR 905 does not seem to recognise any HDMI signal from the Oppo. i have no idea why. I checked whether there was any HDMI signal coming out of the Oppo by hooking up my Dell U2707 computer display and that works fine.

I am relatively clueless, any advice is more than welcome.

Thanks from Luxembourg.

Success!
I managed to get the TX-NR905 to play the audio from the Oppo ober HDMI, the bad thing is, I do not know what made it to work.
Only thing is that I noticed is that the audio is cut off when I am in the Onkyo setup menu, which is not really helping.
Edited by Sirius2003 - 3/17/13 at 5:37am
post #8762 of 8818
I just got my Panasonic AT6000 projector. I have the 905 connected to it with HDMI and I get OSD fine from the receiver, but I can'tt get video from HDMI inputs on the amp to display on the projector. I got the Wii U to work for a while.. turned it off and on and can not get the video on again. Tried a PS3 and same thing, sound works fine, but projector not displaying video. What can the problem be???

Nintendo Wii U HDMI to projector... video works perfect.
Nintendo Wii U HDMI to 905.. sound works, but no video(tried chancing all HDMI settings, sub, main etc.). Wii U popped up for a while, turned it off and on and haven't gotten video since. When it was workin the dark colors had a lot of video noise in them.
905 to projector. OSD and menus appear fine.
post #8763 of 8818
It looks like a HDMI handshake issue. Onkyos are very finicky when it comes to proper HDCP handshakes. Many times changing the sequence on which you turn on your devices corrects the issue. I would try turning on the projector first, then the AVR and finally the source. If it does not work, try changing the order; give a few seconds until you discover what is the best sequence for your gear.
For instance I recall my 905 shutting the CD audio on my Oppo on 10 second intervals for a 1 second when I turned off my projector while listening to music. It sounds stupid, but my projector mas part of the HDCP chain and it just confused the AVR. HDCP sucks, and it has always hurt more the consumers than the actual piracy it was meant to prevent.
post #8764 of 8818
Thanks! I´ll try it all out tomorrow.

What could be causing the added noise to the picture from the 905. If it's a dark image.. it has extreme noise to it.
post #8765 of 8818
Tried source, 905 then projector with no luck. I´ll try projector, amp and source too. Only thing left to try is change out the Wii U HDMI cable.. if that doesn't work I´ll have to get a new receiver! I´m never getting an Onkyo again..1500$ out the window!! Any recomendations.
post #8766 of 8818
Also, try another video monitor as well... if you have flat panel or anything you can connect to the same output going to your projector this could serve well in discarding the cable going from your avr to your PJ.

I ditched my Onkyo 905 for a Marantz. To be fair with the Onkyo, the 905 was a bit ahead of its time as far as HDMI 1.3 support. A lot of people complained about HDCP issues... I had a problem with my Mac Mini, but it was not such a big deal really for me.
What was a shame was that Onkyo dropped the support for the 905 fairly quick in my opinion. A lot of the issues could have been resolved with newer firmware. It is one thing I prefer on the Marantz... they seem to be better at supporting their products over time.
One other bad thing about the 905 was the amount of heat generated by the unit. It was like a furnace... it needed to be extremely well ventilated due to type of internal amplifiers used in the unit.
I truly don't recommend any brand. They all have good and bad things. Stick to what works for you from a price-quality-support combination.
post #8767 of 8818
I´m running firmware 1.07.. I can't see anything about the .08 or .09 changing handshake issues. Doesn't matter really as I´ve tried everything I can think of to update the firmware, but the "updater" just doesn't do anything.
post #8768 of 8818
I have problem with iRadio, only URL radio adresses with .pls on end plays fine, nothing else frown.gif for example I'd like to listen Digitally Imported stations but all this URL have after .pls some more characters for example http://yp.shoutcast.com/sbin/tunein-station.pls?id=14627

Edit:
I found solution!, save this .pls file and open it in notepad and copy only adress from File1= and adding /listen.pls on the end, so adress looks like that: "http://91.235.171.123:8006 /listen.pls" and now working on Onkyo biggrin.gif
Edited by PeterPL - 6/24/13 at 1:35pm
post #8769 of 8818
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPL View Post

I have problem with iRadio, only URL radio adresses with .pls on end plays fine, nothing else frown.gif for example I'd like to listen Digitally Imported stations but all this URL have after .pls some more characters for example http://yp.shoutcast.com/sbin/tunein-station.pls?id=14627

Edit:
I found solution!, save this .pls file and open it in notepad and copy only adress from File1= and adding /listen.pls on the end, so adress looks like that: "http://91.235.171.123:8006 /listen.pls" and now working on Onkyo biggrin.gif

Wow! Thanks so much for figuring this out! I too was recently wondering why all my old streaming stations I had programmed into my NR905 stopped working. I thought that it went obsolete since Onkyo seems to have abandoned firmware updates for this model.
You just solved the problem! and I Thank You! for it! Now I can listen to my Shoutcast stations again! :-D
post #8770 of 8818
I glad that I could help you, happy listening smile.gif
post #8771 of 8818
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPL View Post

I glad that I could help you, happy listening smile.gif

Hi ihave had my 905 for six years and now the surround right and the surround left back won't work no sound coming out. . Checked all wires and switch speakers to see if speakers where bad and made sure all connections where properly secured . All was good on that end.Still no sound. I got a company A&J Electronics in Plano Tx that is an authorized Onkyo repair shop and brought it in Aug. 1 for diagnosis. Finally today they called me and said that the digital board needed replacementb and it would cost $380. plus tax. My question is , is it forth it to fix a 6yr old reciever or spend the money on a new one . Who knows what else might happen to it . I would appreciate anyones thoughts or experiences like this with their 905.
Thank you,
Billy The G
post #8772 of 8818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy The G View Post

Hi ihave had my 905 for six years and now the surround right and the surround left back won't work no sound coming out. . Checked all wires and switch speakers to see if speakers where bad and made sure all connections where properly secured . All was good on that end.Still no sound. I got a company A&J Electronics in Plano Tx that is an authorized Onkyo repair shop and brought it in Aug. 1 for diagnosis. Finally today they called me and said that the digital board needed replacementb and it would cost $380. plus tax. My question is , is it forth it to fix a 6yr old reciever or spend the money on a new one . Who knows what else might happen to it . I would appreciate anyones thoughts or experiences like this with their 905.
Thank you,
Billy The G

It's still a great receiver with audiophile grade components. Unless you're willing to invest in a new model with equivalent performance ($2K-ish) it might well be worth the cost of repair to keep it going.
post #8773 of 8818
thank you i will have it reapaired
post #8774 of 8818
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyser View Post

Tried source, 905 then projector with no luck. I´ll try projector, amp and source too. Only thing left to try is change out the Wii U HDMI cable.. if that doesn't work I´ll have to get a new receiver! I´m never getting an Onkyo again..1500$ out the window!! Any recomendations.

I'm sure you have this resolved by now but others may not. I have a JVC HD250 pj. The way i get everything to work is to always power the pj on first, then my Oppo BD83 blu ray player and then the 905. As soon as I see the Oppo's splash screen I power on my satellite receiver unless I am going to watch a disc. When I power down I always make sure the 905 is set to look for the the Oppo. This has worked without fail for me. Any other sequence and I have handshake issues. I hope this helps someone.

Stace
post #8775 of 8818
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by isisyodin View Post

It looks like a HDMI handshake issue. Onkyos are very finicky when it comes to proper HDCP handshakes. Many times changing the sequence on which you turn on your devices corrects the issue. I would try turning on the projector first, then the AVR and finally the source. If it does not work, try changing the order; give a few seconds until you discover what is the best sequence for your gear.
For instance I recall my 905 shutting the CD audio on my Oppo on 10 second intervals for a 1 second when I turned off my projector while listening to music. It sounds stupid, but my projector mas part of the HDCP chain and it just confused the AVR. HDCP sucks, and it has always hurt more the consumers than the actual piracy it was meant to prevent.

The reason for this is because you have the audio passing through the projector. It should be off, otherwise the receiver is awaiting for a return signal from the projector which clearly it does not support. You have to disable audio pass through over HDMI.

The proper turn on sequence would be the receiver, projector and then the source device...
post #8776 of 8818
We have had a 905 since 2008, right after the warranty expired the AM went out, you could get only the strongest station but with so much hiss it was unbearable, so repair was $358 but it went out again about 8 months later, its a heavy unit and the repair shop took 6 weeks or so to get it back the first time so I said forget it the second time. Last yest the Main HDMI output failed but the Sub output continued to work, making it two problems (AM,Main output) unrepaired. Last night someone forgot to turn off the 905 from the night before and now the Sub HDMI output has failed, AND the DVD input says no signal (I tested cable running the player directly into the TV, and all is good but I havent tried other HDMI inputs on the 905. When I was called to the problem the 905 cabinet was VERY hot, I can imagine the components were burning hot. The 905 sits on a open glass shelf with almost 3" clearance above it, but the 905 gets very hot, I never hear a fan come on. I think that fan should be running all the time. Engineers should have had a temp sensor that displayed a warning and shut down the heat causing boards until it cooled off, if the fan fails.

So now this makes 4 likely costly problems needing repair....and the fan circuit, who knows what else but the Analog audio input works still and audio output works.

What to do... I was told over the phone the HDMI output board could cost $450, and that it cannot be repaired at a component level only replaced.
Edited by ot1 - 9/6/13 at 9:01am
post #8777 of 8818
Get another receiver and sell your 905 for parts on ebay. I still have my 905 and it works perfect. However, I always had it on the top shelf, and it had has plenty of air to breath. The 905 does not have a factory fan. However, many people added computer fans on top of the unit to help pull the hot air out of the unit.
I must say that the unit produces too much heat due to the type of amplifiers it uses; Onkyo likes using these types of amps. Their units will not survive being in a closed cabinet unless you have some sort of push-pull air system. Also, theses types of amps get hot whether you have the volume up or down... as soon as you turn the unit on, it starts cooking.

Look for AV recievers with class D amplifiers if you want to conceal it in a cabinet. I would stay away from Onkyo since they typically run hot to very hot. I went with Marantz and have never looked back.

good luck
post #8778 of 8818
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by isisyodin View Post

Get another receiver and sell your 905 for parts on ebay. I still have my 905 and it works perfect. However, I always had it on the top shelf, and it had has plenty of air to breath. The 905 does not have a factory fan. However, many people added computer fans on top of the unit to help pull the hot air out of the unit.
I must say that the unit produces too much heat due to the type of amplifiers it uses; Onkyo likes using these types of amps. Their units will not survive being in a closed cabinet unless you have some sort of push-pull air system. Also, theses types of amps get hot whether you have the volume up or down... as soon as you turn the unit on, it starts cooking.

Look for AV recievers with class D amplifiers if you want to conceal it in a cabinet. I would stay away from Onkyo since they typically run hot to very hot. I went with Marantz and have never looked back.

good luck

It's not the amps that is the cause of the problems... It's the HDMI board. The Onkyo's use HQV video processors and they generate a LOT of heat. The high thermal causes the 85 degree caps to dry out. That's why the DIY fix is to replace the bad caps with 105 degree parts. The amps are in the front and middle of the AVR, the HDMI board is in the back right. That is where all the heat is coming from....

That being said, i just got a bad TX-NR905 from a friend which I assume is the HDMI cap issue... I opened up the unit and was surprised at how rusty the unit was. He lives a couple of miles from the ocean and I guess the ocean air really causes havoc on anything made of metal.
post #8779 of 8818
I always thought it was their amps since I also have a SR607 and it runs hot as well... If the video processing unit in the 905 is similar to a computer video card, I can see how the video processor can get hot... makes sense. In any case, AV units have come a long since 2007 when the 905 came out. Even a used one from last year will be more reliable than an old 905. Check Audiogon and see what you can find.
post #8780 of 8818
Thread Starter 
To be honest, Onkyo AVRs have been really great values for the dollar, but unfortunately, their reliability has been abysmal... Anyone looking at buying an Onkyo new or used is really asking for trouble. The -05/06/07/08 series have all been plagued with issues. Bad HDMI boards, IDE cables, display boards and the "unwashed" circuit boards. i had two Onkyo receivers and both failed after only two years of use. I have moved on to Pioneer's D3 receivers and have been happy overall (except for their really poor designed remote controls, luckily I have Harmony remotes).
post #8781 of 8818
Quote:
Originally Posted by isisyodin View Post

Get another receiver and sell your 905 for parts on ebay. I still have my 905 and it works perfect. However, I always had it on the top shelf, and it had has plenty of air to breath. The 905 does not have a factory fan. However, many people added computer fans on top of the unit to help pull the hot air out of the unit.
I must say that the unit produces too much heat due to the type of amplifiers it uses; Onkyo likes using these types of amps. Their units will not survive being in a closed cabinet unless you have some sort of push-pull air system. Also, theses types of amps get hot whether you have the volume up or down... as soon as you turn the unit on, it starts cooking.

Look for AV recievers with class D amplifiers if you want to conceal it in a cabinet. I would stay away from Onkyo since they typically run hot to very hot. I went with Marantz and have never looked back.

good luck


Yes as I mentioned it was on an open shelf, meaning it was not in a cabinet. I was told it has two factory fans, but I never opened it up to check.
post #8782 of 8818
Thread Starter 
I was given an old Onkyo TX-NR905... The unit suffered from HDMI board failure... I w as able to replace all the bad caps and got it working... Unfortunately, the unit has firmware 1.00 which has the bad video output (it alters the incoming signal so what comes in is not what goes out). I have been unable to find the 1.05 update anywhere. If anyone has it, please let me know. I also need the latest (2nd release) of the DSP update to fix the DTS HD-Master bomb issue.

I used to have the files but can't seem to find it on my new computer...
post #8783 of 8818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post

I was given an old Onkyo TX-NR905... The unit suffered from HDMI board failure... I w as able to replace all the bad caps and got it working... Unfortunately, the unit has firmware 1.00 which has the bad video output (it alters the incoming signal so what comes in is not what goes out). I have been unable to find the 1.05 update anywhere. If anyone has it, please let me know. I also need the latest (2nd release) of the DSP update to fix the DTS HD-Master bomb issue.

I used to have the files but can't seem to find it on my new computer...
I have firmware versions 1.08 and 1.09, both DSP updates, and all of the associated PDF instructions. PM me with your email address and I'll send 'em.
post #8784 of 8818
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post

I have firmware versions 1.08 and 1.09, both DSP updates, and all of the associated PDF instructions. PM me with your email address and I'll send 'em.

I have the firmware for 1.08 but the receiver currently has 1.00... i have to upgrade to 1.05 before i can upgrade to 1.08, going from 1.00 to 1.08 directly will brick the unit...
post #8785 of 8818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post

I have the firmware for 1.08 but the receiver currently has 1.00... i have to upgrade to 1.05 before i can upgrade to 1.08, going from 1.00 to 1.08 directly will brick the unit...
Sorry, I don't have 1.05. I do have the DSP updates if you're interested.
post #8786 of 8818
Thread Starter 
Thanks, I already got the DSP updates loaded... I just need the firmwares...
post #8787 of 8818

I know this AVR is no longer current but I own one as my primary AVR (hooked up to a 7.1 paradigm speaker system with a HSU research subwoofer) and have a few questions.

 

For whatever reason I recently checked my firmware version and I am running 1.05  I have not had any problems so is there a real or pressing reason to upgrade to 1.08 or apparently 1.09?? What feature sdo these offer that I don't already have.

 

Also I plan on using a tube amp with my headphones and was going to just use the pre-outs on the 905 as the input source for my amp - any reason not to do this ro better way to go about it - many thanks JK

post #8788 of 8818
Thread Starter 
Version 1.05 is fine... you don't really need to upgrade unless your firmware is 1.00 which has some video issues...
post #8789 of 8818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post

To be honest, Onkyo AVRs have been really great values for the dollar, but unfortunately, their reliability has been abysmal... Anyone looking at buying an Onkyo new or used is really asking for trouble. The -05/06/07/08 series have all been plagued with issues. Bad HDMI boards, IDE cables, display boards and the "unwashed" circuit boards. i had two Onkyo receivers and both failed after only two years of use. I have moved on to Pioneer's D3 receivers and have been happy overall (except for their really poor designed remote controls, luckily I have Harmony remotes).

interesting

I have owned several Onkyos in the past 5-6 years. Had a couple of HDMI board problems
One was fixed under warranty...the other units was replaced by Onkyo becuase it failed more than once

I now have an 875 that I bought for about $65....the owner told me it had a failed HDMI board....funny thing I got it home and it worked fine

Then was watching a movie and now it stopped. video but no audio..but oh well...$65.00 I have invested

As for the Pioneer D3...I have to say I have not been impressed. I bought a Pioneer Sc57 about a year ago( to replace an SC37 because I thought it would surely sound better)...Long story short..it didnt the Sc57 had a "bright" sound to it that I didnt like at all

btw...I tested A/B..the Sc37 and the Sc57 post MCACC in the same room with the same speakers. I pulled the SC57 out...sold it on Ebay and put the SC37 back

It just didnt compare

on another note...the build quality and remote control didnt seem up to the quality of the SC37 either


Warren
post #8790 of 8818
Hi everybody!
I'm mensolino from Italy and I'm an happy owner of a silver TX-NR905 bought 2nd hand years ago.....
I think the NR905 is very versatile and it has video and audio 'top-class'.
I use it both as an AV receiver in my home theatre and as a good DAC for my stereo hifi.... ad I must say that as a DAC it is very precise, thorough and warm, especially with hi-res audio.... it wins in comparison with may DACs in 24bit decoding... and it is near to other high-end (and cost!) products I tried...
I'm planning to use it as DSD-DAC too (through HDMI input), I've read it manages DSD stream with ease...
Is there anybody who uses it as DSD-DAC already?
[Ps: forgive me if my english is not perfect ;]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The "Official" Onkyo TX-NR905 Thread