or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Official Epik Subwoofer Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Epik Subwoofer Thread - Page 375

post #11221 of 20352
Speaking of being happy with an Epik sub right off the bat....I have now had my Sentinels for over a month. I must say that there is definitely a difference in performance. I am VERY impressed at what these duals can do. Very room filling, and even very competent in the mid-bass area. I was a bit worried with this silver plastic- like driver, but it seems to get the job done. These also seem bottom proof like I have read with other Epik subs. No worries about having different gain levels and worrying about one reaching its limit. Epik has no limit!!

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #11222 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepstang View Post

Speaking of being happy with an Epik sub right off the bat....I have now had my Sentinels for over a month. I must say that there is definitely a difference in performance. I am VERY impressed at what these duals can do. Very room filling, and even very competent in the mid-bass area. I was a bit worried with this silver plastic- like driver, but it seems to get the job done. These also seem bottom proof like I have read with other Epik subs. No worries about having different gain levels and worrying about one reaching its limit. Epik has no limit!!

Deepstang: I have to agree with you. I first had an eD A3-300, ans was planning to get dual. But I'm glad I got a Sentinel instead.

However, I am afraid it's all about the new Empire at this moment. Nobody care about the Sentinels anymore. Have to admit the Empire though is very tempting.
post #11223 of 20352
It is, but the Sentinel is still unique in it's size and performance. I am sure the Empire size to performance ratio may be just as high, if not higher than the Sentinel; however, it still can't squeeze under a coffee table and on the side of a couch and wall as easy as these Sentinels.
post #11224 of 20352
Deepstang: I agree. Much better WAF.
post #11225 of 20352
I am debating about an Empire vs Sentinel (if/when Chad starts making them again). My wife is balking at the size of the Empire, so if anyone in the Chicago area is thinking of upgrading and wants to get rid of a Sentinel, I'm in the market.
post #11226 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepstang View Post

I was a bit worried with this silver plastic- like driver, but it seems to get the job done.

That silver plastic-like driver is aircraft grade aluminum.
post #11227 of 20352
Does anybody else get a Trojan warning when looking at the news blog. This is what McAfee tells me. Those without Antivirus protection should be careful.

>> McAfee has automatically repaired an infected file.

About this Trojan
Detected: JS/Tenia.d (Trojan)<<

I sent an email so Epik sales about the Trojan as well. I don't know, there is a lack of professionalism around Epik , the neverending move, shutting down the entire product line, A stealth product launch but still no order link on the website weeks after shipping product, Virus (?) in the blog. Their products seem to be fine but the way they run their business makes me shudder.
post #11228 of 20352
What about the Dragon?

post #11229 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by feuerball View Post

Does anybody else get a Trojan warning when looking at the news blog. This is what McAfee tells me. Those without Antivirus protection should be careful.

>> McAfee has automatically repaired an infected file.

About this Trojan
Detected: JS/Tenia.d (Trojan)<<

I sent an email so Epik sales about the Trojan as well. I don't know, there is a lack of professionalism around Epik , the neverending move, shutting down the entire product line, A stealth product launch but still no order link on the website weeks after shipping product, Virus (?) in the blog. Their products seem to be fine but the way they run their business makes me shudder.

I don't see a virus in their blog. Are you sure it is not something on your PC. Maybe some adware serving contextual content?
post #11230 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalto View Post

I don't see a virus in their blog. Are you sure it is not something on your PC. Maybe some adware serving contextual content?

The site was doing the same with me as well using Kaspersky. It was also being flagged by the computers on campus. More than likely a false positive.
post #11231 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by feuerball View Post

Does anybody else get a Trojan warning when looking at the news blog. This is what McAfee tells me. Those without Antivirus protection should be careful.

>> McAfee has automatically repaired an infected file.

About this Trojan
Detected: JS/Tenia.d (Trojan)<<

I sent an email so Epik sales about the Trojan as well. I don't know, there is a lack of professionalism around Epik , the neverending move, shutting down the entire product line, A stealth product launch but still no order link on the website weeks after shipping product, Virus (?) in the blog. Their products seem to be fine but the way they run their business makes me shudder.

I too get the same virus/pest warning message!!! What a pain.

I also agree with your feelings about level of professionalism . . . sometimes a very gifted designer/artists etc makes for a lousy business person. When Chad's business gets to a certain size he'd do well to hire a professional business general manager so he can step away from the administeria and focus on R&D and production . . . but he probably already knows all this.
post #11232 of 20352
I just went to the blog and Norton captured a Heuristic Virus...something seems to be amiss - file was bloodhound.exploit.193
post #11233 of 20352
Maybe their site was hacked... I'd be wary of putting in credit card info directly into a form on the site, would rather do over the phone or via direct email.
post #11234 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalto View Post

I don't see a virus in their blog. Are you sure it is not something on your PC. Maybe some adware serving contextual content?

I just went to Epik's site and got the virus warning on each page that I went to there. I'm running AVG.
post #11235 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by trolly View Post

That silver plastic-like driver is aircraft grade aluminum.

i was going to say the same thing. it is a very strong not plasticy feeling (or looking) driver. the cone is VERY rigid.
post #11236 of 20352
I notified Epik of the Virus around 5:00 PM today. Karen responded and was thankful. The virus is invisible to them, but they have the person who runs their web page working on it. Everybody should contact them. The additional info. will help them track the source which probably was planted. The order form is https=secure. The blog is not. FYI.
post #11237 of 20352
Maybe it's a submersive type worm/trojan...muahmuahmuaahahahah
post #11238 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakerInWA View Post

Maybe it's a submersive type worm/trojan...muahmuahmuaahahahah

Oh yeah! Another conspiracy theory! I love it!!!!
post #11239 of 20352
ok, not to get off topic of the new conspiracy therory, but I'm going to ask what might be perceived as the dumbest question asked so far... how to do the crawl test. I know what it is, however, quite frankly I am wondering, when people say that they put the sub where they usually sit, do they move the chair/couch, etc and place the sub where it would be or do they somehow bring the sub up to their seated level and then crawl around listening? I know, I know, stupid question, but I need to know.
thanks
post #11240 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepstang View Post

It is, but the Sentinel is still unique in it's size and performance. I am sure the Empire size to performance ratio may be just as high, if not higher than the Sentinel; however, it still can't squeeze under a coffee table and on the side of a couch and wall as easy as these Sentinels.

If I had a Sentinel or any other Epik sub for that matter, I wouldn't go out on a rush and sell it to get the Empire. Epiks old product line is a proven performer and reliable and not much is know on the Empire. on paper the Empire looks great and could offer a price/performance ratio is is hard to beat but it's not a sure thing at this point. And most importantly with all new and most likely cheaper drivers,reliability is another thing that won't be know until a few month down the road.

Anyways, if somebody want's to do a firesale of any smaller used Epik sub from the old line in the Bay area, I am all ears
post #11241 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by feuerball View Post

If I had a Sentinel or any other Epik sub for that matter, I wouldn't go out on a rush and sell it to get the Empire. Epiks old product line is a proven performer and reliable and not much is know on the Empire. on paper the Empire looks great and could offer a price/performance ratio is is hard to beat but it's not a sure thing at this point. And most importantly with all new and most likely cheaper drivers,reliability is another thing that won't be know until a few month down the road.

Anyways, if somebody want's to do a firesale of any smaller used Epik sub from the old line in the Bay area, I am all ears

Agreed. I just got a phoenix a few months ago and do not feel the need to try an empire. If I were in the market now, I might have to try one. I hope it is all it is cracked up to be but even if it is, I'll stick with what I have.
post #11242 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by socwrkr View Post

ok, not to get off topic of the new conspiracy therory, but I'm going to ask what might be perceived as the dumbest question asked so far... how to do the crawl test. I know what it is, however, quite frankly I am wondering, when people say that they put the sub where they usually sit, do they move the chair/couch, etc and place the sub where it would be or do they somehow bring the sub up to their seated level and then crawl around listening? I know, I know, stupid question, but I need to know.
thanks

Well, considering that a few feet can make a difference sometimes, I don't think it's a stupid question. I've tried it with the sub sitting on the seat and on the floor and couldn't really tell any difference between the two positions. Maybe there's a difference when elevated to ear level, but I can't imagine that too many people in this world are doing that.
post #11243 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by vraxoin View Post

Well, considering that a few feet can make a difference sometimes, I don't think it's a stupid question. I've tried it with the sub sitting on the seat and on the floor and couldn't really tell any difference between the two positions. Maybe there's a difference when elevated to ear level, but I can't imagine that too many people in this world are doing that.

Thanks... i'll just play around with it once I buy my sub and when the wife isn't home
post #11244 of 20352
When you do the crawl test, though, you really have to "crawl." There can be a big difference between the bass level at standing ear height and 2 feet off the ground.
post #11245 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbri View Post

When you do the crawl test, though, you really have to "crawl." There can be a big difference between the bass level at standing ear height and 2 feet off the ground.

I figured that from most of the posts; i just wasn't sure exactly where to place the sub for the test.
post #11246 of 20352
I am pretty shocked that with so many people out there probably in the sub market, and with the empire deal so damn good, that there would be more people reporting on here who owns one. All I really want, (after the great pictures that is, thanks for that,) is a decent comparison of the empire to another good sub. I would greatly appreciate any owners who have another quality sub on hand to do some comparos!
post #11247 of 20352
I hear you Neumei. I too am anxiously waiting for more information about the Empire...more A/B comparisons by users, some measurements, or how about some basic product information from Epik! I'm torn between the Empire and a SVS PC12 plus. I suspect I'll get much more output with the Empire than the PC12 plus, but I have to admit, Epik's questionable business practices as of late are finally starting to get to me. At first I was unfazed...but there was something about the website virus that put me over. All things considered, I can't help but wonder if the company will be around long enough to honor my warranty should I require support. I would feel a little better if Epik at least took the time to update their website with some basic product information.

This isn't intended to be a flame on Epik. I genuinely hope they come through unscathed and we look back at this as a small bump in the road.
post #11248 of 20352
If you talk to Chad, he is a super nice guy, reasonable and clearly intelligent. This is why I really don't see why it is so damn hard to put the specs and/or pics up online. Unless he needs his web designer to do it, and can't get in touch with him, it really just blows my mind. Even basic stuff would be nice, maybe a quick FR taken in the middle of his warehouse to simulate outdoors.

But I do think the company will be around. They make a great product, and Chad seems to really love his company, and is very proud of its growth and wants to see it grow more, (although not right now clearly.)

I do like ONE aspect about the way he released the empire. Instead of telling us about the empire months and months ahead of time trying to build up forum hype, and making us pee out pants in excitement, possibly wetting the floor, he said, ok BOOM! Here it is, it is cheap, it is slammin', and we have 'em in stock! Plus that way there are no dissapointed customers if they have to push the release date back. Just wish he was little more prepared with the info side of it, and not in the middle of a company-wide move.

And by the way, yes the empire would almost definitely destroy a single PB12 plus in a cylinder, but I'm not absolutely sure about that, as I've heard no real comparisons!
post #11249 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by neumei626 View Post

...snip...
And by the way, yes the empire would almost definitely destroy a single PB12 plus in a cylinder, but I'm not absolutely sure about that, as I've heard no real comparisons!

I guess you didn't want to say that you "don't know". lol
post #11250 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshKo View Post

The site was doing the same with me as well using Kaspersky. It was also being flagged by the computers on campus. More than likely a false positive.

yup...i'm seeing it w/AVG, but it reports something different every time.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home

Gear mentioned in this thread:

AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Official Epik Subwoofer Thread