or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Official Epik Subwoofer Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Epik Subwoofer Thread - Page 529

post #15841 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Licks View Post
So I've have a problem....I can offer a guy $200 for his 5yr old HSU VTF 3.2 or use my tax rebate and figure out something else. My other thought was a dual setup with smaller subs in the 6-7 hundred dollar range, total, shipped. but you guys will most certainly budget creep me:

My concern is my loft space is a total of ~6000 cubic feet with a stairway that leads to an additional 6000 cubic feet. I doubt I will ever be able to run a sub(s) to fill my area under 1K. Not that I would want to since my entire corner of the building would probably feel an earthquake if I had enough power to fill at least the first 6000.

I've never had a complaint from my one "shared wall" neighbor (who's a renter and not an owner) and I feel that I crank my 5.0 setup pretty loud. My setup is about 27ft opposite the shared wall with my couch in the middle-ish.

I just want to fill in the low end with some rumbles, but I over think everything...any help for my indecisiveness? I am considering HSU, eD, and Epik.
My advise, with that space, would be to keep saving until you feel comfortable spending the money on a more substantial subwoofer than anything in the $1K and under price range. Patience could truly be a virtue in this case. No one has ever bought too much sub yet...only too little and regretted it later.

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #15842 of 20352
Anyone get their backordered Legend yet? I was hoping to see a few more reviews and hopefully comparisons before I make a final decision.
post #15843 of 20352
I got a notice mine shipped Friday, should be here by Tuesday according to FedEx. Naturally I'll be out of town from Tuesday night till the next Monday. Oh well, I'll plug it in and let my wife break it in watching TV and Movies. %^)
post #15844 of 20352
Wow, I just checked FedEx and It was shipped yesterday and will be here today. YaHoo, I've been waiting since Jan. 1st.

Action Movies tonight for sure!
post #15845 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaugh View Post

Wow, I just checked FedEx and It was shipped yesterday and will be here today. YaHoo, I've been waiting since Jan. 1st.

Action Movies tonight for sure!

Sweet!! Let us know your thoughts after you break it in for a while. I'm jealous!
post #15846 of 20352
Hi everyone, I was wondering if the Epik Empires are shipped directly to your home via freight, or is it shipped to a facility where I would have to pick up?
Thanks for any help with my question.
post #15847 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakefist View Post

Hi everyone, I was wondering if the Epik Empires are shipped directly to your home via freight, or is it shipped to a facility where I would have to pick up?
Thanks for any help with my question.

Freight directly to your home.
post #15848 of 20352
Link to Danley SM60M and Epik Empire: Creating a full range
hybrid!


I thought to add some feedback about mating dual Epik Empires with the little brother of the Danley SM60F, the SM60M, mated to create a full range stereo pair.

For your amusement!
post #15849 of 20352
Just finished watching Burlesque and my Quad Empires did a most excellent job with the bass.
post #15850 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin_mahaney View Post

Freight directly to your home.

Thank you for your response. I have been reading that the Empire is completely inert, is it possible to use them as speaker stands without the speakers dancing around and tumbling off? Thanks!
post #15851 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakefist View Post

Thank you for your response. I have been reading that the Empire is completely inert, is it possible to use them as speaker stands without the speakers dancing around and tumbling off? Thanks!

yes that shouldn't be be a problem at all
post #15852 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by robobob View Post

Link to Danley SM60M and Epik Empire: Creating a full range
hybrid!


I thought to add some feedback about mating dual Epik Empires with the little brother of the Danley SM60F, the SM60M, mated to create a full range stereo pair.

For your amusement!

Sounds like you're in love. Very nice read. Thanks for sharing. Supplemental pics of the room n setup would be apprecieated.
post #15853 of 20352
If anyone is looking to sell a Legend in the Socal area, please send me a PM. Thank You!
post #15854 of 20352
Legends are back in stock ...

http://www.epiksubwoofers.com/index.html
post #15855 of 20352
I am looking at getting a new sub and have narrowed it down to the Epik Legend, HSU 2.3, and Outlaw LFM-1 Plus. Has anyone here compared any of these to each other? Just thought this might be a good place to ask for others opinions and why you chose the Legend over other subs at its price point. Thanks!
post #15856 of 20352
For me it was size and sealed sub vs ported.
post #15857 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaugh View Post

For me it was size and sealed sub vs ported.

Which other subs were you looking at? Are you happy with your legend? just curious, but what percentages do you use your system for?
post #15858 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnTBigman View Post

Sounds like you're in love. Very nice read. Thanks for sharing. Supplemental pics of the room n setup would be apprecieated.


some pics

Not into compulsive gear exhibitionism which seeks validation or gear envy from other addicts so I am just illustrating the challenging conditions under which the hybrid speakers overcome their placement limitations and shine anyway!

I am providing 300wpc RMS into their nominal 8 ohm load, which, with their 100 dBSPL sensitivity, provide tremendous headroom and effortless dynamics.

I use balanced power and high quality/reasonably priced components which work well together but other than that, it is all the speaker/Empire hybrid, the transducers being normally always the least ideal component in any hi-fi system, that is making the magic here!
post #15859 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac13 View Post

Which other subs were you looking at? Are you happy with your legend? just curious, but what percentages do you use your system for?

I considered HSU and SVS primarily. All in $500 to $800 range. I have a very tight size requirement.

My usage is 98% HT and TV. I'm still in the break-in period so it's too early for me to comment on the performance. I really haven't had time to calibrate it or anything and I will be traveling this week so it will be another two weeks before I'd be ready to comment.

It is definitely a nicely built sub. and the fit and finish is very good.

Several others should be getting their Legends in the next day or to so you should start to see some comments.

Be advised from all I've read, you need to wait for a week or so of use before the sub starts to come into it's own.

I'm replacing an old Velodyne CT-120 and I've only listened to one movie so far and I will admit, I was not "blown away" but like I said it's too early to come to any conclusions.
post #15860 of 20352
How do you get a coupon code to use in the shopping cart ?
post #15861 of 20352
I don't think there are any coupons, I searched but didn't find anything. I think the coupon box might be for future use.
post #15862 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by chashint View Post

How do you get a coupon code to use in the shopping cart ?

Its for gift certs.
post #15863 of 20352
thanks
post #15864 of 20352
just checked my email, Epik shipped and I got my brand new Legend coming in tmw!! I already have dual Empires in my HT but going to add this Legend to my 2 channel for music.
Can't wait!! I know the Legend won't have the output of the Empire but hope it has the exact same sound qualities otherwise. Will report back some impressions when I get it.
post #15865 of 20352
I have a question for anyone running dual subs specifically the Empire. Mine have the audible thump about 5 minutes after my system is turned off. It doesn't bother me at all but the two subs both react at different times, usually about 5 seconds apart. They are both fed from the sub-out split with a standard Y-splitter.

Could this be due to the gain being set different on each sub? I tried to level match them as close as possible with out as SPL meter so the gain is basically set by eyes and ears.
post #15866 of 20352
After some lengthy research, and speaking to Chad yesterday, I've placed my order for a Legend...he is hoping to ship it out within a day or so but is currently filling back orders. It'll be going in a Man cave basement system (600sq'). Can't wait to place and fire it up..not looking forward to getting the sucker down to the room (steep stairs) but I'll let gravity help.
post #15867 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Noah_ View Post
I have a question for anyone running dual subs specifically the Empire. Mine have the audible thump about 5 minutes after my system is turned off. It doesn't bother me at all but the two subs both react at different times, usually about 5 seconds apart. They are both fed from the sub-out split with a standard Y-splitter.

Could this be due to the gain being set different on each sub? I tried to level match them as close as possible with out as SPL meter so the gain is basically set by eyes and ears.
This is normal, it's not very loud but you do hear them shutting down (at least mine do).
post #15868 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluvette View Post

This is normal, it's not very loud but you do hear them shutting down (at least mine do).

Mine, too.
post #15869 of 20352
I got four of em, so I get four thumps!
post #15870 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2 View Post

I got four of em, so I get four thumps!

I wish I had four thumps!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home

Gear mentioned in this thread:

AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Official Epik Subwoofer Thread