or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Official Epik Subwoofer Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Epik Subwoofer Thread - Page 624

post #18691 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Since so many here guess about so many issues...here's mine. The legend will roll off below 20hz, so does the Empire. In room characteristics may help any sub, tho. Not a lot of music content below 20hz aside from some electronic or big organ stuff. Not a lot of info on measurements on the Legend that I've seen either. What is nmdbass in any case? So the other 15% of the music time is not enjoying the music??

the other 15% is me having the radiocrad an al channel stere while i can or cook or do stuff around the house.

This is why i am more concerned about HT performace because Ilove the mid bass slam as well and the deep sub 20hz rumble (when I can get it)

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #18692 of 20352
There is another question that I think is important to consider. How many amps out of all the subs epik has sold are going bad? what is the ratio?

This is important because Epik is an ID company which means for the most part the only people that know about them are people like us using forums like these. In general, most people who have good experiences with a product do not leave a review or comment on how nice it us or anything like that. I know I don't. I hardly, if ever leave any reviews for anything I buy that is great and doesn't break. I am a busy person like most people and would rather spend my time enjoy my things. That said, when i get something that is messed up or doesn't work right or breaks I am much more vocal about it. Especially if its expensive. If had a sub i got from an ID company after reading positive reviews on forums like these and buying it and had say an amp failure. You can bet I would be back on here vocalizing my problems. especially if i couldnt get ahold of CS. If i had no problems and liked the product I may post a response or two on a thread or two saying I like it but other than that I wouldn't do much.
post #18693 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrunr View Post

the other 15% is me having the radiocrad an al channel stere while i can or cook or do stuff around the house.
This is why i am more concerned about HT performace because Ilove the mid bass slam as well and the deep sub 20hz rumble (when I can get it)

that first sentence barely made any sense? Do you mean the 15% when you have music on it playing at loud volumes while you cook or do other things? Isnt that usually when someone listens to music? I dont know about you, but very rarely do i sit on my couch doing nothing at all but listening to music. I also do not know anyone else who sits around in front of their speakers by themselves listening to music while doing nothing else. Thats why music is awesome. it makes things you're doing more fun. assuming the music doesnt distract you
post #18694 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealteamz6 View Post

that first sentence barely made any sense? Do you mean the 15% when you have music on it playing at loud volumes while you cook or do other things? Isnt that usually when someone listens to music? I dont know about you, but very rarely do i sit on my couch doing nothing at all but listening to music. I also do not know anyone else who sits around in front of their speakers by themselves listening to music while doing nothing else. Thats why music is awesome. it makes things you're doing more fun. assuming the music doesnt distract you

Yes. That was what i was trying to say. Basically, I do not do much "critical" music listening. There are a few time when youjust want to sit and chill ut to some nice tunes. but those times are few and far in between for me right now.


BACK TO TOPIC: Legend vs Anything else n the $50-$600is range for home theater. Sub 20hz? Is there anything better than the legend (thats not DIY?)
post #18695 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrunr View Post

Yes. That was what i was trying to say. Basically, I do not do much "critical" music listening. There are a few time when youjust want to sit and chill ut to some nice tunes. but those times are few and far in between for me right now.
BACK TO TOPIC: Legend vs Anything else n the $50-$600is range for home theater. Sub 20hz? Is there anything better than the legend (thats not DIY?)

Honestly, the only times I can imagine wanting to chill and do nothing but listen to music is when im on LSD. haha

Understandable. we are all busy.

Only thing I can think of is the Outlaw

Two RW-12D's for 300 a piece would go lower than a legend. According to Archaea, at a blind subwoofer meet test. some people stated that dual RW-12Ds " sounded better than the Chase 18.1 SS which cost significantly more and use an 18" driver."

From my research I highly doubt you'll find a subwoofer in that price range that goes below 20, any that do from the specs ive seen on the ones I have looked at they barely go below
Edited by sealteamz6 - 11/14/12 at 6:13pm
post #18696 of 20352
Can anyone with a single Epik legend in a sealed room with similar dimensions to these (My room is 18x15 with 9ft high ceilings and a 5 x 8 nook in the back. listening position is about 7-8 ft from speakers. Nook is relatively insignificant. The right wall is almost all windows) tell me how the dispersion is?
post #18697 of 20352
I have used a legend in a large room that opens to another large area for a year and half (I recently upgraded to a JTR Captivator S2). My primary use is HT and the Legend does a pretty good job considering its price and size (I chose it over SVS SB12, the entry level Rythmik sealed sub and HSU VTF2). As others have also mentioned it has a sharp roll off below 20 HZ so don't expect much subsonic performance. The amp had issues twice (both times the auto on off function stopped working but the whole amp did not fail). Epik did replace the amp both times. It took several calls and emails the first time but it was pretty quick the second time. I specifically asked Chad the amp failure ratios when I called him for the second failure and he mentioned that only one or two in a thousand amps have failed.

CS issues are certainly worrysome but it seems like there are periods where they become non responsive and then they become responsive again.

If you are ok with taking some risk for the performance and good value go with the Legend.
post #18698 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by logicators View Post

I have used a legend in a large room that opens to another large area for a year and half (I recently upgraded to a JTR Captivator S2). My primary use is HT and the Legend does a pretty good job considering its price and size (I chose it over SVS SB12, the entry level Rythmik sealed sub and HSU VTF2). As others have also mentioned it has a sharp roll off below 20 HZ so don't expect much subsonic performance. The amp had issues twice (both times the auto on off function stopped working but the whole amp did not fail). Epik did replace the amp both times. It took several calls and emails the first time but it was pretty quick the second time. I specifically asked Chad the amp failure ratios when I called him for the second failure and he mentioned that only one or two in a thousand amps have failed.
CS issues are certainly worrysome but it seems like there are periods where they become non responsive and then they become responsive again.
If you are ok with taking some risk for the performance and good value go with the Legend.

Thank you, that was very useful information. I wonder if Chad was telling the truth on the ratio's. The people complaining about amp failures makes sense. Most people who know of epik are people on here. I had never heard about epik before i started researching what sub I wanted. I am also looking at getting two RW-12D's, these are made by klipsch, of whom I have known of for YEARS, when I was first going to buy my original 2.1 computer speaker system I was looking at a 2.1 klipsch setup i liked a lot but ended up going with the logitech 2.1 system. I am guessing since the only way most ppl hear about epik is forums it is where they would come to mention they had an amp failure
post #18699 of 20352
It's tough to judge the failure ratios from these forums because most people with no failures are unlikely to post here but the vast majority of people with amp or cs issues are likely to post. Over the phone it did not seem like he was misrepresenting the ratios but we have no way of validating.

I never heard of that Klipsch sub so cant say much about it.
post #18700 of 20352
My Dual Epik Empires have been working good 8 months.
post #18701 of 20352
Can anyone with a single Epik Legend or empire works. Test the in room dispersion of one of them for me? My room is 19x15 sealed. the LP's span across the 19.
post #18702 of 20352
Just got an email that Legends are $399 shipped for this week.
post #18703 of 20352
Hmm, I guess they are still in business.
post #18704 of 20352
I was seriously considering the Legend for $400 until I saw this thread. Can anyone shed some light on the current situation with the company's customer service? I know the subs are a great value at $400 but with iffy amps and even more iffy customer service is the savings justified?
post #18705 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by archngamin View Post

I was seriously considering the Legend for $400 until I saw this thread. Can anyone shed some light on the current situation with the company's customer service? I know the subs are a great value at $400 but with iffy amps and even more iffy customer service is the savings justified?

Here we go again! I'll lay out the facts. Customer service is without a doubt spotty with Epik. You'll see posts from people saying that Epik's (when they say Epik it's really Chad, it's a one man show) customer service has been nothing but roses for them. You'll also have people saying that they've been trying to contact Epik (Chad) for days with no response. You'll have the usual cheerleaders like user lovinthehd who act like Epik has never done anything wrong and anyone who talks bad about Epik's customer service is either lying or trolling. But it's obvious by the number of posters with problems that there are definite issues sometimes.

Buy away, they're great subs for the money (especially at $399 with free shipping)...but just know that if you EVER need customer service from Epik, it could be in their "customer serivce black hole period" and it may take days to get a hold of anyone...or you could happen to have a problem when it's a time period of stellar customer service by Epik.
post #18706 of 20352
I just posted a similar response in the bluray.com forums.

I already own 1 empire and love it. My wife wanted to buy me one for Christmas but was nervous about the complaints and concerns going around the forums so I called them up today to find out what the hell is going on. Short version is:
  • Since Elemental Designs went out of business they have been flooded with orders which in turn has put more of a strain on the customer relations side of the business. They are struggling to keep up but vow to get back to all the customers they can.
  • They've never been more busy then they are right now so financially they are doing great.
  • They have new products coming down the pipe.

Just thought everyone would like to know. My wife just put in the order for my second Empire : )
post #18707 of 20352
After getting burned by Elemental Designs and their CS fiascos, I'm leery about taking advantage of this deal posted where you can get the Legend Subwoofers for $400. Are these two companies similar in make up?
post #18708 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by soupdujour4 View Post

After getting burned by Elemental Designs and their CS fiascos, I'm leery about taking advantage of this deal posted where you can get the Legend Subwoofers for $400. Are these two companies similar in make up?

Never dealt with Elemental Designs but after speaking with them today the rep said they are a small company that is doing really well right now. Sounds like they want to keep the company small with less overhead. This is fine with me. I would hop on the legend deal in a second if I were in the market for a new sub.
post #18709 of 20352
Wow, 400 shipped is very cheap for a Legend. I doubt you could build one for much less than that!
post #18710 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by akcorr View Post

I just posted a similar response in the bluray.com forums.
I already own 1 empire and love it. My wife wanted to buy me one for Christmas but was nervous about the complaints and concerns going around the forums so I called them up today to find out what the hell is going on. Short version is:
  • Since Elemental Designs went out of business they have been flooded with orders which in turn has put more of a strain on the customer relations side of the business. They are struggling to keep up but vow to get back to all the customers they can.
  • They've never been more busy then they are right now so financially they are doing great.
  • They have new products coming down the pipe.
Just thought everyone would like to know. My wife just put in the order for my second Empire : )

Glad to see they've dropped the excuse of "phone problems" and are on to something else now.
post #18711 of 20352
CS and Amp issues aside ive had a legend for almost 8 months and have run it hard pretty much every single day with out issue. at 400$ its a killer deal
post #18712 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post

CS and Amp issues aside ive had a legend for almost 8 months and have run it hard pretty much every single day with out issue. at 400$ its a killer deal

Been running my Empire for months without an issue as well.
post #18713 of 20352
Some of you dudes act like an old hag. I can only imagine just how much more nagging and painful it must be to deal with you on the phone. :eek:It's no wonder they have a hard time answering the phone as busy as they are. You can't evena wait for the ink to dry in the thread to start your whiiiinnning. Whine whine whine:D. There are folks with legitimate issues who had a hard time with a bad batch of amps. That issue was resolved. The legend is an excellent sub and the current deal is a steal.
post #18714 of 20352

If anybody is local to Epik and was wondering if they would discount for local pick-up....they won'trolleyes.gif

I would think they would knock some off considering they are including free shipping. We locals also have to pay sales tax so its not such a great deal.

I did want to give these a try even though I was worried about the amp problems on some Legends.

post #18715 of 20352
Did you call them?
post #18716 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommysss View Post

Did you call them?

If your asking me...I did call and emailed them and they responded with a email. They won't discount at all for the shipping. I also was going to get two. So in realty i would of only saved a 100.00, they normally charge 899.00 for a pair.

post #18717 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill1908 View Post

...We locals also have to pay sales tax so its not such a great deal.
I did want to give these a try even though I was worried about the amp problems on some Legends.

I suppose great deal is a pretty relative term. I think the well-vetted Legend, at its current sale price, is an absolute steal for those looking for performance and aesthetics in a budget ID subwoofer. Even with sales tax, it would be a great option for frugal consumers compared to other well-designed ID subs in its class -- Rythmik, Hsu, Outlaw, etc.
post #18718 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhskyTangoFoxtrt View Post


I suppose great deal is a pretty relative term. I think the well-vetted Legend, at its current sale price, is an absolute steal for those looking for performance and aesthetics in a budget ID subwoofer. Even with sales tax, it would be a great option for frugal consumers compared to other well-designed ID subs in its class -- Rythmik, Hsu, Outlaw, etc.

I agree!....I believe this is a great deal for anybody not in Illinois or picking up.

post #18719 of 20352
i agree, if i was not already committed to building 2 of the dayton 18in HOs i would have snagged 1 or 2 more of these
post #18720 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill1908 
... I believe this is a great deal for anybody not in Illinois or picking up.
Curious: If $399 + tax(es) for a Legend is not a great subwoofer deal for folks in Illinois, what is?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home

Gear mentioned in this thread:

AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Official Epik Subwoofer Thread