or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Official Epik Subwoofer Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Epik Subwoofer Thread - Page 647

post #19381 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinksma View Post

Looking at the specs of the 3000 vs the 1000, the 3000 is 3 times as powerful (duh!), and the 1000 would handily power a single Epik Empire (dual 15" drivers, nominally 600W RMS according to Epik). But my eventual plan would be to power both of my Empires from external amplifier(s), so a single 3000 in 2-ch mode at 4 ohms would be a nice amp that wouldn't need to be driven too hard to max out the combined 2 Empires' 4 drivers.

In other words, eventually I will be powering 4 15" drivers just like you, and if you are using half-power, then the 1000 wouldn't be enough. If there was an iNuke2000 that would be just about right, but there isn't, AFAICT.

Still, I have time for comparisons and other solutions...

shinksma

Gotcha. Definitely get the 3000 then. I paid $280 brand new for the DSP version on a sale from Amazon, I suspect you can get the non-DSP during a sale for $220-240.

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #19382 of 20352
Regarding the Facebook post, communication is key with any ID company. Most customers are understanding when problems arise as long as you are forthright with them and are keeping those lines of communication open. Be honest and say it will take a month for the product to be delivered rather than continually repeating things will be fine in two months as you come off like a broken record.

Demand outpaced supply for their Black Friday deal. Oops. At some point you have to say to half your potential customers "Sorry. Here is a full refund with a rain check to purchase one within a year for the same price if you so desire. We only had the stock for 50 but sold 500 and are unable to meet that demand."

People want to know what is he doing to make things right now. How is he being proactive about solving the problem?

I imagine that "heavy demand" is fictitious as his subs have been unavailable for purchase online since December. He would do well to put a virtual Out Of Business sign on his front door and focus on helping customers with their problems in order to rebuild and re-establish his reputation as being an honorable businessman.
post #19383 of 20352
Hi Guys,

Longtime reader of this forum. I was having trouble getting a hold of anyone at Epik on the phone or email about my dead Empire amp since about October. When I read that someone got a hold of Epik on their Facebook page. So I posted about my situation and within a few minutes they replied back. A few back and forth posts they are sending me a new amp. So you may want to try doing that if you need to replace a dead amp.
post #19384 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmcnevi View Post

Hi Guys,

Longtime reader of this forum. I was having trouble getting a hold of anyone at Epik on the phone or email about my dead Empire amp since about October. When I read that someone got a hold of Epik on their Facebook page. So I posted about my situation and within a few minutes they replied back. A few back and forth posts they are sending me a new amp. So you may want to try doing that if you need to replace a dead amp.

Can you post screen shot, any shipping confirmation, and report back if you receive an amp?
post #19385 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmcnevi View Post

Hi Guys,

Longtime reader of this forum. I was having trouble getting a hold of anyone at Epik on the phone or email about my dead Empire amp since about October. When I read that someone got a hold of Epik on their Facebook page. So I posted about my situation and within a few minutes they replied back. A few back and forth posts they are sending me a new amp. So you may want to try doing that if you need to replace a dead amp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepat04 View Post

Can you post screen shot, any shipping confirmation, and report back if you receive an amp?
Indeed, actual shipping confirmation would be a good sign. I had a good conversation with Chad on the phone, who indicated a new amp would be shipped out to me, but nothing has arrived, and no shipping confirmation.

So I suspect he has "forgotten" about my issue. And failing to answer the phone continues to be a bad sign.

shinksma (now seriously on the lookout for a good price sometime "soon" on an iNuke 3000 (non DSP) or similar)
post #19386 of 20352
Hmm, so Chad's theory of a properly run business is to only respond to Facebook inquiries?

I guess he's too hi-tech for measly phones and emails, right? Or, did the dog eat the phone/ISDN lines again?

Too busy to answer warranty issues, because he's sitting in back with no inventory and is twittling his thumbs. Makes alot of sense. Imho, his FB page is the only thing left that isn't littered with complaints, so seems he's merely in damage control mode. But wait! How can he have the abitliy to access FB, but NOT his email? that doesn't pass the Smell-O-Meter.

I suggest everyone with warranty issues hit his FB page, and follow up if he doesn't act quickly. Don't let him off the hook. You know if you don't keep the heat up on this guy, you will be forgotten like yesterdays morning dump. Sad...
post #19387 of 20352
Maybe thats why Chad doesn't respond to emails or phone, he is afraid of getting an ass-chewing from customers. I guess he feels best to just ignore the situation and it will go away. This is utter B.S.
post #19388 of 20352
I think mrmagloo said it best, if you have any issues with your subs or amps post stuff on his FB page and hopefully Epik will get back to you. He's already got a bad rap here maybe he'll respond on FB so he doesn't get one there too.
post #19389 of 20352
Here ya go



post #19390 of 20352
This makes this situation that much more bizzare!
post #19391 of 20352
Those of you having trouble getting through to Epik regarding warranty issues. If you paid with a credit card....you can make a claim. I had 3 different amps fail on an Empire. Obviously something shorting with one of the drivers....? I decided to return the subwoofer (I had ordered 2 and found that 1 was adequate). Got "0" response from Epik. 20 Emails and phone calls over a months time got no response from Epik. I called the Visa claims dispute office and filled out the paperwork and started a claim. Miraculously.....got a return mailer from Epik about a weak later. When the credit came back on my card....they were $100.00 short. Visa took care of that, as well.cool.gif

It's funny....when you do get to talk to Chad, he seems like a "straight up guy"....but I will never consider buying anything from Epik again based on what has transpired. I will buy from his competitors,,,,who he loves to bash on the phone. You would not believe the stuff he has said about Mark Seaton.....who is still in business and promptly responds to all emails....by the way

Mike!
post #19392 of 20352
Yeah I know what you mean about Chad talking crap about his competitors. Before I bought my Dragon I called and talked to him about other subs and I had mentioned Elemental Designs and he just chuckled and started bad mouthing their products and that his subs were far superior. I found that kinda funny.
post #19393 of 20352
Its not that his "jabs" did not have some merit.....just that he made them in the first place. The fastest way to gain respect is to respect your competition and have nothing bad to say about them. A perfect example of this is SVS founder Tom Vodhandle. I never heard him down play another company. Sad because Epik was my "go-to" subwoofer company. Now with all the other choices: PowerSoundAudio, HSU, Seaton Sound, JTR, SVS and many more....Epik is toast. I still don't understand why you don't bow out gracefully....unless there are legal entanglements.rolleyes.gif
post #19394 of 20352
And it's stories such as these that make one realize why Chad Kuypers Is the most interesting man in the world.
post #19395 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

And it's stories such as these that make one realize why Chad Kuypers Is the most interesting man in the world.

"I don't make subs all the time, but when I do, I make them for Epik".
post #19396 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfreedma View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

And it's stories such as these that make one realize why Chad Kuypers Is the most interesting man in the world.

"I don't make subs all the time, but when I do, I make them for Epik".

Stay listening my friends. tongue.gif
post #19397 of 20352
Your killing me!
post #19398 of 20352
I'm unsure of the best place to ask this, so I'll start here:

As you may have read recently in this thread, one of my Empires is offline due to a bad amp, and I am considering an eventual solution (if I don't ever get in touch with Chad) of replacing the amp with an external separate, like a Behringer or Dayton or whatever.

The as-built Empires use a Vistar SD-50 amp re-labeled for Epik, I believe. That amp has a boost at 25Hz and a high-pass cross-over at 15Hz (12db/octave). I can't find any evidence that the amp is otherwise modified for "tuning" to the Empire cabinet.

The Behringers and other usual suspects for separate external (non-plate) amps often have a flatter freq response down much further, which, without careful adjustment, could cause the drivers in the Empires to bottom out much sooner than desired.

Does anyone have any empirical or other data for the Thiele/Small parameters, or other equivalent observations such as "don't let anything below 15Hz get to these drivers!"?

Does anyone know what drivers are used? I tried to search the interwebs for physically similar-looking drivers that I expect have the stats that look like 8 ohms each, 300W RMS maybe 600W transient, etc, but I didn't find anything.

I figure asking here might be better than the DIY area, because maybe someone has done some reverse engineering or measurements on the Empire design.

This is quite an interesting thought experiment right now, that may eventually have to turn into a real hardware-implementation trial.

shinksma
post #19399 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinksma View Post

The as-built Empires use a Vistar SD-50 amp re-labeled for Epik, I believe. That amp has a boost at 25Hz and a high-pass cross-over at 15Hz (12db/octave). I can't find any evidence that the amp is otherwise modified for "tuning" to the Empire cabinet.

I can't help much but will mention one thing re the 15hz HPF part of your remark. I've read a post somewhere in this thread from someone that claimed Chad told him the Empire has a 20hz HPF. Take it FWIW but my measurements align with that - response starts falling pretty sharp right at 20hz and I get nothing at 15hz. My DIY Daytons play much lower in the same location/room.

Just checked data-bass and the measurements there are consistent with a 20hz HPF too.
post #19400 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfreedma View Post

"I don't make subs all the time, but when I do, I make them for Epik".


post #19401 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinksma View Post

The as-built Empires use a Vistar SD-50 amp re-labeled for Epik, I believe. That amp has a boost at 25Hz and a high-pass cross-over at 15Hz (12db/octave). I can't find any evidence that the amp is otherwise modified for "tuning" to the Empire cabinet.

It doesn't appear to be the SD-50. It may be the GPM-500 without the EQ instead.
post #19402 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post


Haha I just spit coffee all over my computer screen when I saw that. biggrin.gif
post #19403 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

LOL, they have been saying 2 more months since November (this just looks like someone at Epik regurgitating the same reply every month or so). So it looks like almost July now before they have stock? It takes 7-8 months to get more stock if you sellout? Too funny.

Yeah no kidding, what a freakin joke.
post #19404 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinksma View Post

I'm unsure of the best place to ask this, so I'll start here:

As you may have read recently in this thread, one of my Empires is offline due to a bad amp, and I am considering an eventual solution (if I don't ever get in touch with Chad) of replacing the amp with an external separate, like a Behringer or Dayton or whatever.

The as-built Empires use a Vistar SD-50 amp re-labeled for Epik, I believe. That amp has a boost at 25Hz and a high-pass cross-over at 15Hz (12db/octave). I can't find any evidence that the amp is otherwise modified for "tuning" to the Empire cabinet.

The Behringers and other usual suspects for separate external (non-plate) amps often have a flatter freq response down much further, which, without careful adjustment, could cause the drivers in the Empires to bottom out much sooner than desired.

Does anyone have any empirical or other data for the Thiele/Small parameters, or other equivalent observations such as "don't let anything below 15Hz get to these drivers!"?

Does anyone know what drivers are used? I tried to search the interwebs for physically similar-looking drivers that I expect have the stats that look like 8 ohms each, 300W RMS maybe 600W transient, etc, but I didn't find anything.

I figure asking here might be better than the DIY area, because maybe someone has done some reverse engineering or measurements on the Empire design.

This is quite an interesting thought experiment right now, that may eventually have to turn into a real hardware-implementation trial.

shinksma

If you buy a $100 or less USB mic and download REW for free and follow the walk-though guide, you could measure your existing Empire in your room where the broken one is and most likely determine where it is rolling off. The iNuke DSP amps have the ability to put in a high pass filter, or boost your signal as well, so you should be able to come close to matching the Epik. Just a thought.
post #19405 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

It doesn't appear to be the SD-50. It may be the GPM-500 without the EQ instead.
I suspect that the older Empires came with a custom-variant of the SD-50, since both of my Empires' amps look just like that, with variable LP filter setting via the knob and gain knob, except there are no high-level ins/outs (replaced by Epik logo). And the back-side (inside surface) of my plate amp says "Epik SD-50" or something similar. I have seen noted here on this thread that more recent Empires have an amp that looks like the GPM-500.

shinksma
post #19406 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

If you buy a $100 or less USB mic and download REW for free and follow the walk-though guide, you could measure your existing Empire in your room where the broken one is and most likely determine where it is rolling off. The iNuke DSP amps have the ability to put in a high pass filter, or boost your signal as well, so you should be able to come close to matching the Epik. Just a thought.

I have REW measurements of my Subs (and a single sub in the current location), since that's how I EQed them using an 1124, and I'm quite sure it rolls off starting at 18 or 20Hz. The spec of HPF at 15Hz is quoted from the Vistar page for the SD-50, and I wouldn't be surprised if it starts rolling off at ~20Hz but hits the true 12dB/Octave filter-rate at 15Hz for actual signal output - in-room measurements of the drivers in cabinets will always differ, of course.

Anyway, my concern is not specifically to match my current performance, but to ensure I do not send ultra-low freq content to the drivers if they cannot handle it - i.e. maybe Epik chose that particular amp because it meant they did not have to engineer a driver/cabinet combination that could handle large amounts of sub-15Hz content. I fully intend to set up my 1124 to send only the content that I think the drivers can handle.

Believe me, if these drivers can handle sub-15Hz material without bottoming out by using a better, flatter amp, I will be very happy. I just don't want to expect that and damage them in the process.

shinksma
post #19407 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinksma View Post

I have REW measurements of my Subs (and a single sub in the current location), since that's how I EQed them using an 1124, and I'm quite sure it rolls off starting at 18 or 20Hz. The spec of HPF at 15Hz is quoted from the Vistar page for the SD-50, and I wouldn't be surprised if it starts rolling off at ~20Hz but hits the true 12dB/Octave filter-rate at 15Hz for actual signal output - in-room measurements of the drivers in cabinets will always differ, of course.

Anyway, my concern is not specifically to match my current performance, but to ensure I do not send ultra-low freq content to the drivers if they cannot handle it - i.e. maybe Epik chose that particular amp because it meant they did not have to engineer a driver/cabinet combination that could handle large amounts of sub-15Hz content. I fully intend to set up my 1124 to send only the content that I think the drivers can handle.

Believe me, if these drivers can handle sub-15Hz material without bottoming out by using a better, flatter amp, I will be very happy. I just don't want to expect that and damage them in the process.

shinksma

That makes sense. I would not want to be the guinea pig to find out smile.gif

Do you know who makes the woofer and what model it is? Perhaps you can get the specs?
post #19408 of 20352
The new amp was delivered today. I did get it installed and it sounds good even though when I crimped one of the wires the first time the wire slipped out. I did figure out a way to open it up a bit and I hopefully got all of the strands where they need to go. One of the wires are a little shorter than the other one as it took me a few tries to do it. The sub does sound good and the woofers move in and out at the same time.



The new amp is on the right
post #19409 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmcnevi View Post

The new amp was delivered today. I did get it installed and it sounds good even though when I crimped one of the wires the first time the wire slipped out. I did figure out a way to open it up a bit and I hopefully got all of the strands where they need to go. One of the wires are a little shorter than the other one as it took me a few tries to do it. The sub does sound good and the woofers move in and out at the same time.



The new amp is on the right

It is good hear things worked out!wink.gif
post #19410 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmcnevi View Post

The new amp was delivered today. I did get it installed and it sounds good even though when I crimped one of the wires the first time the wire slipped out. I did figure out a way to open it up a bit and I hopefully got all of the strands where they need to go. One of the wires are a little shorter than the other one as it took me a few tries to do it. The sub does sound good and the woofers move in and out at the same time.



The new amp is on the right

The new amp looks a little smaller than the original. Does it fill the hole properly?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home

Gear mentioned in this thread:

AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Official Epik Subwoofer Thread