or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Official Epik Subwoofer Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Epik Subwoofer Thread - Page 660

post #19771 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

You could also use a plate amp that has the same or larger dimensions as the current amp or you can drill a couple of holes in the current amp plate and wire through it.

True you could simply drill through the amp plate. As for another plate amp, might be hard to find one with the exact same dimensions.

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #19772 of 20352
A friend of mine who had a multimeter helped me check the wiring and the resistance of the Legend. The two woofers in the Legend are wired parallel and together they register at 3.5 ohms. My friend believes I should be able to drive it with the EPX4000 bridged and have no problems but I feel it's too risky. Although the EPX4000 can handle a 2 ohm load in Stereo mode, the paperwork included with the amp mentions that it only handles down to 4 ohm loads in Bridge mode.

So I think I'll simply use one Behringer EPX4000 to power both of my Epik Legends and I'll use the other EPX4000 to power the tower speakers of my home theater, lightening the load of my Onkyo TX-NR5010.
post #19773 of 20352
I just wanted to post an update on my bad Empire amp. I emailed Epik sales a week and a half ago and got a reply to call in. I called and spoke to Chad who said he would ship out a replacement amp immediately and if I did not receive a tracking number by the evening of the next day, to call back. I did not receive a tracking number so I called in on the next day following as instructed. Chad apologized and an hour later I had my FedEx tracking number. Fast forward to this past Monday and my new amp arrived and I was able to successfully fix my sub! I am not sure if I am a rare case or not, but the end to the story is I basically had no issues getting support, or a replacement amp for that matter. Chad also informed me that this was the new revision of the amp as the original amps suffered from overheating issues that caused them to fail prematurely. I am still trucking on my sub thanks to Chad and Epik!
Edited by ABSiNTH - 8/21/13 at 4:17pm
post #19774 of 20352
That is great to hear. Maybe Epik is getting back on it's feet. Their subs are great, just the amp reliability was a problem. My Legend is still going strong after two years. I never turn it off.
post #19775 of 20352
This is great to hear. I still believe in Epik. smile.gif
post #19776 of 20352
So if there's a new version of the empire amp, does that mean he'll be making empires in the future?
post #19777 of 20352
I asked that, but he said they
are working on its successor....an 18 inch version apparently.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4
post #19778 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

So if there's a new version of the empire amp, does that mean he'll be making empires in the future?


I'm almost positve I saw somehwere that the Empire and Legend are discontinued. From now on it will be the new line, including the 18".
post #19779 of 20352
I would love to think they are going to be selling again, but until we see an actual product for sale....

Regardless of what might come out, I would have a hard time selecting another Epik sub, even though the one I have has been trouble free (so far) Too much competition now with superior customer service.
post #19780 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

So if there's a new version of the empire amp, does that mean he'll be making empires in the future?

Probably same run of amps that I got as a replacement a while back (1.5 years or so ago).
post #19781 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_w View Post

Bought a pair of legends in early 2011, one just failed and fuse blown. Replaced with the spare and that blew too. Sent an email to epiks but not expecting a reply. I've searched the thread for alternative amp replacements with no luck. Also searched for this option: "drill two holes and use an inexpensive external amp such as a Behringer". Can anyone point me to where i can get more details on this option?

Thanks,
Martin

Update to this post. Shortly after this post i decided to contact Epik and forwarded my confirmation email and explained the problem. Within a week i received an apology for the slow response and a new amp would be shipped out along with instructions and a crimping tool. I replaced the amp and boxed up the old one with the tool with the provided return Fedex slip. I hesitated to contact them at first because of all the report of non responses here, but it looks like they are back and taking care of business. smile.gif
post #19782 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppaC View Post

Regardless of what might come out, I would have a hard time selecting another Epik sub, even though the one I have has been trouble free (so far) Too much competition now with superior customer service.

I would just assume that whatever Epik sells essentially has no warranty. Buying from them is akin to buying something at a going out of business sale.
post #19783 of 20352
What was the return address, Martin?
post #19784 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppaC View Post

I would love to think they are going to be selling again, but until we see an actual product for sale....

Regardless of what might come out, I would have a hard time selecting another Epik sub, even though the one I have has been trouble free (so far) Too much competition now with superior customer service.

The site says both the Empires and Legends are discontinued but they'll sell the few remaining Legends at regular price:
Quote:
New reference subwoofers from Epik

June 5, 2013



Hello to all who have been patiently waiting for an update from us here at Epik. We apologize for the wait, but assure you that the wait was worth it.

Epik had a hugely successful end of 2012. We sold out of product much faster than anticipated. In fact, product was selling out before we even got to our Cyber Week sale. We expected to have product in stock until March/April, but sold out by December. We think that the sudden surge in sales was partially due to a couple of our competitors announcing that they were going out of business last year.

Nobody knew that behind the scenes we were working on a new product lineup. We typically don’t like announcing product before it is ready to sell, but we think it is time to let the cat out of the bag. New products and components always have small delays. Product being sold out of stock too quickly combined with the new product not being ready yet has left us with anxious customers and not much to say for the past few months. As a result, we have a nice surprise for everybody who has been waiting patiently.

I’ve talked to hundreds of people on the phone in the past few months about upcoming product, but sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words:

Epik-18-inch-driver.jpg

This is our new 18 inch reference driver. It is nearly 80 pounds of audio engineering nirvana. It has an enormous triple stack magnet structure. We brought back our tried-and-tested silver cast frame to round out the design. In short, it is the best driver we have ever made.

What you can’t see in the picture is a full copper sleeve on the pole piece. We are not talking about throwing a little copper shorting ring above the coil like some manufacturers do, or splitting a pair above and below the magnetic gap. We are talking about a full sleeve of custom tooled copper from top to bottom. The results are sonic bliss. It provides massive output, but the musicality and lack of distortion exhibited is nothing short of breathtaking.

You can’t have a great driver without a great amplifier! To perfectly compliment this 18″ piece of audio art, we have designed a matching 1200 watt RMS amplifier. Again, it is the best amplifier we have ever offered. It provides the control and power needed to make the new driver sing. It is a match made in heaven.

There will be several models available starting with a compact sealed cabinet up to larger ported cabinets. We will also be offering some breakthrough tube subwoofers that will provide the most output and extension for the money of any subwoofer we have ever tested. And thanks to the new driver, their sound quality is simply as good as it gets.

Details will slowly be released of the individual models. We also hope to have product selling in July. Stay tuned for updates, info, specs and pricing.

The owner of Epik has been incredibly busy the past couple of months, and the last few weeks in particular, traveling around to parts vendors, etc. We have been taking care of customers warranty issues, but know that a few have fallen through the cracks. Please give us a call or email and we will get everybody taken care if you have been waiting. We are sorry if you’ve been waiting a little longer than usual. We look forward to getting everybody taken care of quickly.

The Empire and the Legend will no longer be offered. However, we do have a small batch of remaining Legends that we will be selling. If you are interested in buying a Legend, give us a call or email us. They will be selling for their original price of $499 plus shipping.

We can’t wait to get these new products into customers hands. We’ve never been so busy or excited to get a line of products ready. Thanks for your continued support!

Have any questions? Give us a call or send us an email!
post #19785 of 20352
This epic guy is such a joke, he reminds exactly of this guy named Jason Perillo who sells reptile enclosures under the name protean terrarium. He is such a fraud, he literally just keeps plugging along trying to make new sales and will completely ignore customers whom he already got money from. Chad like does this same junk. People cant get through to him, people need service and hes out making updates. Maybe Chad is trying to fix things now but how many people in his 6 month total black out gave up and fixed their stuff on their own or bought something else? That almost sounds like the plan these types of guys have, they ignore people for long periods of time and most go away or give up. Then they start trying to rake in more business. Maybe they purposely plan, it he just lays low until the constant phone calls and emails slow down to a low rumble. I almost bought the epik during Christmas but I am sure glad I didn't. I wonder what the clinical description of this type of behavior would be, sociopath?
post #19786 of 20352
I am very eager to see what Chad has up his sleeve. After seeing the shortages so many manufacturers are dealing with, I hope he spent all that absence stockpiling parts for all those models. The more the merrier.
post #19787 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by morrischestnut60 View Post

I am very eager to see what Chad has up his sleeve. After seeing the shortages so many manufacturers are dealing with, I hope he spent all that absence stockpiling parts for all those models. The more the merrier.

Why, it's the new Epik mascot!
Up_His_Sleeve.jpg
post #19788 of 20352
Wait I smell fish:eek:
post #19789 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by PubFiction View Post

This epic guy is such a joke, he reminds exactly of this guy named Jason Perillo who sells reptile enclosures under the name protean terrarium. He is such a fraud, he literally just keeps plugging along trying to make new sales and will completely ignore customers whom he already got money from. Chad like does this same junk. People cant get through to him, people need service and hes out making updates. Maybe Chad is trying to fix things now but how many people in his 6 month total black out gave up and fixed their stuff on their own or bought something else? That almost sounds like the plan these types of guys have, they ignore people for long periods of time and most go away or give up. Then they start trying to rake in more business. Maybe they purposely plan, it he just lays low until the constant phone calls and emails slow down to a low rumble. I almost bought the epik during Christmas but I am sure glad I didn't. I wonder what the clinical description of this type of behavior would be, sociopath?

I dunno. Prior to the "blackout" Chad was very helpful towards myself and quite a few others. Yes, my case wasn't resolved but that was after he sent me several amps. Something must've been going on with his amp supplier (probably screwed him over with a bad batch) and things fell to the wayside. I'm not excusing the silence but I don't think Chad is a fraud. He probably just took on more than he could realistically handle and the amp issue simply made things worse.

Here's hoping the amps for that new sub turn out better. Although, given the amp issues, I'm surprised he didn't opt to market a series of passive subs.
Edited by RocShemp - 8/25/13 at 11:59pm
post #19790 of 20352
Here's his mugshot from Phoenix, AZ. For all you fanboys out there.

post #19791 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by polizzio View Post

Here's his mugshot from Phoenix, AZ. For all you fanboys out there.


That's not him. rolleyes.gif
post #19792 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by PubFiction View Post

This epic guy is such a joke, he reminds exactly of this guy named Jason Perillo who sells reptile enclosures under the name protean terrarium. He is such a fraud, he literally just keeps plugging along trying to make new sales and will completely ignore customers whom he already got money from. Chad like does this same junk. People cant get through to him, people need service and hes out making updates. Maybe Chad is trying to fix things now but how many people in his 6 month total black out gave up and fixed their stuff on their own or bought something else? That almost sounds like the plan these types of guys have, they ignore people for long periods of time and most go away or give up. Then they start trying to rake in more business. Maybe they purposely plan, it he just lays low until the constant phone calls and emails slow down to a low rumble. I almost bought the epik during Christmas but I am sure glad I didn't. I wonder what the clinical description of this type of behavior would be, sociopath?

Since the end of last year, I would agree. But he did run a legitimate business for years prior to this. I don't think he's suffering from a mental condition. More likely, he got burnt out and needed a break.
post #19793 of 20352
Yup, he's using a Harbor Freight trickle charger to get those batteries going again. biggrin.gif
post #19794 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post

Here's hoping the amps for that new sub turn out better. Although, given the amp issues, I'm surprised he didn't opt to market a series of passive subs.

without me reading through this whole thread, epik uses Bash amps, correct ? i've had a few here before, but did not pay attention to what they were.
post #19795 of 20352
Two different amps for my Empire don't remember seeing any connection with BASH amps on either.
post #19796 of 20352
Okay, I am at a loss and I really need some expert help.

The EPX4000 that I had sent for repair just faulted. I recently had this amplifier returned to me from Behringer's repair specialists, Diversified Audio, and the amp just faulted some moments ago. It switches on and off, the bottom two signal lights (-20) flash in tandem with the light surrounding the power button. The amp simply stays like that. I wasn't even playing anything on it as I just turned it on a few moments ago. In days prior, the amp worked fine and I've been using it in exact the same way as when I got it. Right now, there was no signal being fed to the amp and there have been no power fluctuations so I do not understand what might have happened.

I have a brand new Behringer Europower EPX4000 Power Amplifier that I haven't used and am afraid to connect it for fear of it too faulting.

I recently tested the two subwoofers I was running with this amp and even opted to run it in stereo mode because each Epik Legend was registering at 3.5 ohms on a multimeter. So I figured discretion was the better part of valor in this particular case. The subwoofers also tested fine with no faults so I doubt they are to blame.

Could the problem have been that I had the amplifier connected to a UPS and it perhaps was not getting enough power? Would plugging the remaining amp directly the wall solve my woes?
post #19797 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Two different amps for my Empire don't remember seeing any connection with BASH amps on either.

ok, fair enough. i have worked on many Bash amps, from lots of the sub manufacturers... i just could not remember if any of the Epic amps i worked on were Bash or not. either way, they are very simple and cheap amps. very few of the Bash amps that manufactures use actually have Bash printed on them... but they are Bash amps. i can get custom printed Bash amps that say "Dave's Amps" printed on it if i wanted to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post

Okay, I am at a loss and I really need some expert help.

The EPX4000 that I had sent for repair just faulted. I recently had this amplifier returned to me from Behringer's repair specialists, Diversified Audio, and the amp just faulted some moments ago.

i have fixed a few that have been "fixed" by them. they tend to replace only the bad parts, instead of replacing the bad parts, and also the related parts that have been strained. without replacing all the parts of a section, you cannot guarantee reliability. ( i.e. replacing one transistor on a bank of 4, rather than replacing all 4 )

what it really comes down to though, is newer Behringer amps are cheap for a reason. i've literally worked on hundreds of them. you do get what you pay for.
post #19798 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveds50 View Post

ok, fair enough. i have worked on many Bash amps, from lots of the sub manufacturers... i just could not remember if any of the Epic amps i worked on were Bash or not. either way, they are very simple and cheap amps. very few of the Bash amps that manufactures use actually have Bash printed on them... but they are Bash amps. i can get custom printed Bash amps that say "Dave's Amps" printed on it if i wanted to.
i have fixed a few that have been "fixed" by them. they tend to replace only the bad parts, instead of replacing the bad parts, and also the related parts that have been strained. without replacing all the parts of a section, you cannot guarantee reliability. ( i.e. replacing one transistor on a bank of 4, rather than replacing all 4 )

what it really comes down to though, is newer Behringer amps are cheap for a reason. i've literally worked on hundreds of them. you do get what you pay for.

So this particular case might simply be a bad coincidence due to other strained parts?

That's actually a relief because I was trying to work out what could have caused it that I said the following nonsense to a friend:
Quote:
Maybe I'm imagining things but I do believe the trouble started when I began tweaking my receiver settings. Audyssey set my towers to 40 Hz, my center to 50 or 60 Hz, my surrounds to 60 Hz, and my wides to 80 Hz. I bumped everything to 80 Hz because I read it would alleviate the load from the receiver. Although, to my mind, the receiver began playing quieter and hotter when I did that. Maybe it also started sending incorrect LFE signals that effed up the amps and I should just have left things the way Audyssey set them?

I was completely talking out of my butt assuming that was the cause, right?

In any case, do you suppose it's safe to try out my new still-in-box EPX4000 and hope for the best? Or best not press my luck?
Edited by RocShemp - 8/30/13 at 8:52pm
post #19799 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post

So this particular case might simply be a bad coincidence due to other strained parts?



In any case, do you suppose it's safe to try out my new still-in-box EPX4000 and hope for the best? Or best not press my luck?

i have to refrain from giving any answer, as it would be just a guess... the only way to really tell what is wrong, is if i was there with test equipment. if you are sure the speakers are good, then there should not be a reason that new amp wont work.
did they give you any warranty on the repair ?
post #19800 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveds50 View Post

i have to refrain from giving any answer, as it would be just a guess... the only way to really tell what is wrong, is if i was there with test equipment. if you are sure the speakers are good, then there should not be a reason that new amp wont work.
did they give you any warranty on the repair ?

I'll have to check the packaging when they sent it back but I don't recall any mention of warranty on repair. I do know the amp was under warranty when I sent it for repair in May. In any case, I wrote Behringer this evening the moment the fault occurred so as to not waste time getting the ball rolling.

A friend tested the speakers for me and they seemed fine. My only concern is that the Legends are at 3.5 ohms so I chose to run one EPX4000 in stereo mode rather than two such amps in bridge mode.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home

Gear mentioned in this thread:

AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Official Epik Subwoofer Thread