WOO-HOO the Legend is back!
Ever since I realized my Legend amp had died a few weeks ago I've been reading this and other forums in the the Subwoofer section to try to figure out my options. Even thought I was in warranty, contacting Epik I knew was a waste of time. I emailed once and tried calling a few times but knew that was pointless. I pulled the amp and gave it to a friend to try to fix and I'm fairly optimistic he will eventually repair it and with possibly upgraded components, I'm impatient. He is very busy and travels a bit so has not had the time to look at it closely.
I thought about buying a replacement sub like PSA, SVS, or HSU but all the ones I really wanted are just a tad bit too big for WAF. I love the size of the Legend and you can't have too much output, I was satisfied with the Legend. The other option was to buy a replacement amp. I read just about every post her but couldn't find any definative direction from anyone who had done a swap and reviewed the results. One poster swapped out a Bash 300 but other than saying it worked he didn't comment much.
I studied the options and did not want to use an external amp like the Nuke series for personal preference reasons (fan noise, added component to place, etc). So I looked at all the plate amps that I thought I could make fit. I was originally going to buy a Bash 300 since size wise it was the closest to the amp in the Legend but I decided to move up to a 500 watt amp to allow for more head room, incase that is the reason for all the failures some of us have been experiencing. I looked at the Dayton amp but the size is just too big. That left the Bash 500 and it arrived today.
I modified the cabinet in the couple of days I had to wait for the amp to arrive. Woodworking is a hobby of mine and I have plenty of tools at my disposal so enlarging the hole and routing a lip was really a piece of cake. When you do this, it requires you to cut out the "box" that is in the cabinet. I thought it was there to stiffen the box but I realize it is really there to keep the poly insulation for working it's way around the amp and causing a heat problem. I took the box and cut it at the corners and remounted it to the larger opening by gluing and screwing the four separate piece in so the insulation would not expand into the area cut out for the amp. For some this might be and issue but with a few simple tools, it's really no big deal.
The amp came and 10 minutes later I was up and running. Now the listening tests begin but my initial response is very positive. The unit has been running now for about three hours and even through some fairly loud setup the heat since is cool to the touch. If anyone has any questions let me know. I'll report back after I have had some time to run it through its paces.
For full disclosure, i was concerned that any amp other than the legend amp might not be EQ's (boosts, etc) for the enclosure so I also ordered an Antimode 8033 Cinema DSP. I realize this is not a trivial add on $350, considering the Sub is a $500 sub but I had toyed with buying one of these for a while now based on all the positive reviews. I'll test with and without it in the system for comparison sake.
Hope this helps others with dead Legends out there.