or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Official Epik Subwoofer Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Epik Subwoofer Thread - Page 12

post #331 of 20355
Is there some cellophane on the driver...crinkly looking on the pic.

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #332 of 20355
Beautiful looking room!
post #333 of 20355
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhack View Post

Valor ready for testing - listening impressions to follow.

Looking forward to it!

Hey, which SVS sub is that? I hope it's the Plus/2, since that's the one I want to replace with a smaller sub.

Also, got any pics of the Valor with the grill on?
post #334 of 20355
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhack View Post

Valor ready for testing - listening impressions to follow.

I have been directed here by a few other folks in order to find out more on the Epik subs. The Valor and the Knight are the two I am most intersted in and am looking forward to your remarks on this sub. I know there isn't to much information out on the specs on the Epik subs but I am curious as to how low the Valor will play in comparison to the Knight. I am on the pre-order list for av123's mfw-15 sub and would also love to find out how the Valor would stack up against that (not that anyone can do a side by side comparison or anything) I would like to know what others think in regards to these different subs though.
post #335 of 20355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

Is there some cellophane on the driver...crinkly looking on the pic.

Yeah, what is that stuff ?
post #336 of 20355
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundsGood View Post

Yeah, what is that stuff ?

Looks like a standard non-pressed pulp cone with a separate inversed dust cap.
post #337 of 20355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Mayer View Post

Looks like a standard non-pressed pulp cone with a separate inversed dust cap.

Like I said.... what is that stuff ?
post #338 of 20355
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundsGood View Post

Like I said.... what is that stuff ?

Basically it's like really thick paper. Though it's not pressed/smoothed like regular office paper. Back in the good old days ALL woofer cones were made out of pulp. Now there's aluminium, titanium, kevlar etc. fancy pansy materials.
post #339 of 20355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Mayer View Post

Basically it's like really thick paper. Though it's not pressed/smoothed like regular office paper. Back in the good old days ALL woofer cones were made out of pulp. Now there's aluminium, titanium, kevlar etc. fancy pansy materials.

Not the fundamentals of the driver construction, I think we both meant the artifact in the picture...lower right area of the driver...looks distorted and not by a flash.
post #340 of 20355
No - thats not cellophane on the driver, dont ask me what it is - i suspect Richard Mayer is right. Yes thats the Pb12+2, I placed the Valor on top to compare the FR - see the two attached sweeps.

I didnt get a chance to spend more than 10mins listening to a few tracks and doing a quick sweep with REW after some basic level settings. The sub sounded very good on "Thirteenth Step" - my std reference track is "The Noose". Sounded pretty much like my eqed SVS.

I will spend more time later tonight listening to some music and hopefully some soundtracks as well.

I met Chad and his dad when i went to pickup the sub - very nice to talk with! Very tempting to go pick up subs on an impluse buy from them - they are only 1/2hr from where i live!!

The Conquest is awesome!
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #341 of 20355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

Not the fundamentals of the driver construction, I think we both meant the artifact in the picture...lower right area of the driver...looks distorted and not by a flash.

Oh THAT. To me it looks like a camera flash reflection. Non-pressed pulp is not as smooth as some other cone materials.

edit: Now that I see the close-up pic, it doesn't look like non-pressed pulp anymore. Maybe it's some fancier material after all.

Epiksubwoofers.com: "It all starts with a 15” curvilinear paper cone. Its lightweight yet incredibly strong design allows for a very high overall efficiency."
post #342 of 20355
drhack....I'm a noob as it comes to subs and I am very intersted in this Valor sub. I am wondering how low this sub will play? I am a 90% movies over 10% music as it comes to my setup. Would this be a good fit for someone in my situation when I watch far more movies than listen to music?
post #343 of 20355
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Rone View Post

drhack....I'm a noob as it comes to subs and I am very intersted in this Valor sub. I am wondering how low this sub will play? I am a 90% movies over 10% music as it comes to my setup. Would this be a good fit for someone in my situation when I watch far more movies than listen to music?

Though that graph looks phenomenal for a sealed sub, first blush, no eq, with a ton of room gain...one of the ported Epik models will have more extention and output than the Valor. The Valor looks like it's extending further than the Plus/2 at less volume...with eq, it should be tighter too.

That driver picture shows the rough finish I only saw a piece of in the first picture.
post #344 of 20355
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Rone View Post

drhack....I'm a noob as it comes to subs and I am very intersted in this Valor sub. I am wondering how low this sub will play? I am a 90% movies over 10% music as it comes to my setup. Would this be a good fit for someone in my situation when I watch far more movies than listen to music?

The low end of the sub depends on your room and placement. In a small room Valor should have a good sub-20hz response with the room gain factored in. How well this suits you depends on your room and how loud you prefer your movies. I think this could be a good sub for ht and music in this price range along with the competition from SVS, HSU and others. How it compares to them i dont know yet.
post #345 of 20355
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhack View Post

The low end of the sub depends on your room and placement. In a small room Valor should have a good sub-20hz response with the room gain factored in. How well this suits you depends on your room and how loud you prefer your movies. I think this could be a good sub for ht and music in this price range along with the competition from SVS, HSU and others. How it compares to them i dont know yet.

Understood...I'll keep up on this thread and on your thoughts on how it performs. Thanks
post #346 of 20355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

Not the fundamentals of the driver construction, I think we both meant the artifact in the picture...lower right area of the driver...looks distorted and not by a flash.

Bingo. It looked odd. Like a piece of plastic, or dirt or sumptin'.
post #347 of 20355
By the way, I'm anxious to see Chad's upcoming sealed subs. Hopefully they'll be some word on those soon.
post #348 of 20355
Quote:


Looks like a standard non-pressed pulp cone with a separate inversed dust cap.

Bingo.

Quote:


By the way, I'm anxious to see Chad's upcoming sealed subs. Hopefully they'll be some word on those soon.

We've been listening very closely to what everybody wants. The Valor is a direct result of customer requests. I will mention that if there is a particular product that you want to see us offer, mention it here or drop an email to our "tech" address and let us know. We are all ears!

Quote:


I placed the Valor on top to compare the FR - see the two attached sweeps.

Wow, that looks great! I really enjoy seeing measurements like this, and greatly appreciate that you even took the time to post it here. I know what a pain it is to measure something, especially when all you want to do is listen to it!!

The Valor has a lot of midbass capability. If it comes anywhere near keeping up to your SVS subwoofer, considering the size and price difference, that will be quite a compliment. Keep us posted!!
post #349 of 20355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Kuypers View Post


We've been listening very closely to what everybody wants.

I want a Valor, a Castle and a Conquest. This Year.
post #350 of 20355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Kuypers View Post

I will mention that if there is a particular product that you want to see us offer, mention it here or drop an email to our "tech" address and let us know.

We are all ears!

Oh yeah? I'm still waiting on a reply to my particular product request I emailed you.

I'm all ears!
post #351 of 20355
Chad,

Do you have ground plane measurements of the Valor that you could post here? I'd love to see them.
post #352 of 20355
HOLY CRAP. THATS THE PB 12 ??? MAN-- oh man... whoa.
post #353 of 20355
Good grief, that driver is one tight fit for the enclosure!!!
post #354 of 20355
Quote:


I want a Valor, a Castle and a Conquest. This Year.

I will contact you directly Craig. Thanks for the subtle reminder.

Quote:


Oh yeah? I'm still waiting on a reply to my particular product request I emailed you.

I thought I had answered all of our emails but I will take a look at them again. Sorry if I accidentally passed you by. I'll take care of that right now.

Quote:


Do you have ground plane measurements of the Valor that you could post here? I'd love to see them.

Email me.
post #355 of 20355
Chad ... I was just messing with ya ... You gotta be pulling 100 hour weeks right now. Make sure you are getting some rest, and relax, I will be here when you are ready to sell me some subwoofers ...
post #356 of 20355
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhack View Post

No - thats not cellophane on the driver, dont ask me what it is - i suspect Richard Mayer is right. Yes thats the Pb12+2, I placed the Valor on top to compare the FR - see the two attached sweeps.

I didnt get a chance to spend more than 10mins listening to a few tracks and doing a quick sweep with REW after some basic level settings. The sub sounded very good on "Thirteenth Step" - my std reference track is "The Noose". Sounded pretty much like my eqed SVS.

I will spend more time later tonight listening to some music and hopefully some soundtracks as well.

I met Chad and his dad when i went to pickup the sub - very nice to talk with! Very tempting to go pick up subs on an impluse buy from them - they are only 1/2hr from where i live!!

The Conquest is awesome!

Thanks for the feedback there Drhack.

I've been dying to see some real world measurements on the Epik stuff, specially the Tower and Conquest, but the Valor will do just as well! Amazing what that "little" sealed 15" is doing....that FR is phenomenal.

For $549? that's just crazy! couple of these Valors and I'm good to go....well, maybe 4.

hope you get to post some listening impressions soon
post #357 of 20355
Hey Chad,

Those are some impressive looking subs. I was on your site, and didn't see any photos of the drivers by themselves (side and rear view). Did you say you would get some uploaded this weekend?

Also, what type of sound deadening do you use inside the box?
post #358 of 20355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Kuypers View Post

I thought I had answered all of our emails but I will take a look at them again. Sorry if I accidentally passed you by.

I'll take care of that right now.

No problem at all.

And I got your email.... thanks!
post #359 of 20355
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackyflipside View Post

Good grief, that driver is one tight fit for the enclosure!!!

Ya know, I've been thinking about that too. It is a very tight fit.

Chad, any reason why you didn't use a wider box for the Valor?
post #360 of 20355
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundsGood View Post

Ya know, I've been thinking about that too. It is a very tight fit.

Chad, any reason why you didn't use a wider box for the Valor?

Gee, maybe cause of comments like these?

Quote:


Originally Posted by w6000
I vote keeping it as small as possible. thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundsGood View Post

I second, third and fourth that vote!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home

Gear mentioned in this thread:

AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Official Epik Subwoofer Thread