or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Official Epik Subwoofer Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Epik Subwoofer Thread - Page 281

post #8401 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam View Post

Out of the port?

That is normal.

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #8402 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Horvers View Post

I am having trouble deciding on an Epik sub!! I want either the Phoenix or the Dragon. Mostly HT use. Please help me decide!!!

I was going to get the Phoenix, but after talking to Chad about my 13' by 19' room, realized the Dynasty's size was really to big for the room. Chad said the difference between the two would be splitting hairs. After getting the Phoenix I realized that the Dynasty would look out of place in my small living room. The extra 8" in length is a lot. They are both great subs.

It's been said on here before, by the biggest you can afford. If you can't decide call Epic and talk to Chad.
post #8403 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam View Post

Out of the port?

Yup, no big deal. Its funny how when the sub gets going you can feel the air in the room start to move like someone opened a window. And its scary when you cant even hear the sub and its doing the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizRod1 View Post

I was going to get the Phoenix, but after talking to Chad about my 13' by 19' room, realized the Dynasty's size was really to big for the room. Chad said the difference between the two would be splitting hairs. After getting the Phoenix I realized that the Dynasty would look out of place in my small living room. The extra 8" in length is a lot. They are both great subs.

It's been said on here before, by the biggest you can afford. If you can't decide call Epic and talk to Chad.

I am local to Epik so I picked mine up. (Chad is a good guy) I saw all of the subs lined up next to each other, and honestly the Dragon is the meanest looking one. The small cabinet makes the driver look HUGE, it looks like you would have to bolt the thing down.
post #8404 of 20352
How big is the port on the Dynasty anyway and how does it compare to a round port?
post #8405 of 20352
Phoenix showed up right on schedule...set it up outside as a 2.1 patio subwoofer...

What a HOOT!....played DSOTM on it..and it coupled to the house and had everything within 100 ft rattling during the heartbeat intro...BUMPbuh...BUMPbuh.......

Carried it into the LR and set it back where the dragon was......did a quick dialin with the rat shack...LFE out back to -4

112 db uncorrected during Cloverfield..loudest I had ever heard in my room..MFW still in back left corner...and I had plenty left in it.....only 55 on the Onkyo...

Back of sub barely made it to warm during anything I was doing during the first hour of use..my ears are bleeding though...

The same scene in Transformers that had upset the Dragon at the levels I was listening is louder then before by a couple dB, with no pop/click.... Mission Accomplished...

Thanks to Epik and Chad for the great customer service, if every company was like them, the BBB would be out of business.




Phoenix Outboard Right side...

MFW Corner loaded left side.

Polks all around Mon 70s up front with the CSi3 center, and RTi4 Surrounds!

All bought on clearance status...they sound great together....600 bux shipped for all the Polks, and 1600 in subs....with rcvr 2500 in sound...not bad when you hear it...for mid entry level pricing..









LL
LL
LL
post #8406 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by theelviscerator View Post

Phoenix showed up right on schedule...set it up outside as a 2.1 patio subwoofer...

What a HOOT!....played DSOTM on it..and it coupled to the house and had everything within 100 ft rattling during the heartbeat intro...BUMPbuh...BUMPbuh.......

Carried it into the LR and set it back where the dragon was......did a quick dialin with the rat shack...LFE out back to -4

112 db uncorrected during Cloverfield..loudest I had ever heard in my room..MFW still in back left corner...and I had plenty left in it.....only 55 on the Onkyo...

Back of sub barely made it to warm during anything I was doing during the first hour of use..my ears are bleeding though...

The same scene in Transformers that had upset the Dragon at the levels I was listening is louder then before by a couple dB, with no pop/click.... Mission Accomplished...

Thanks to Epik and Chad for the great customer service, if every company was like them, the BBB would be out of business.

nice! glad it's workin out for ya.
post #8407 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hksvr4 View Post

How big is the port on the Dynasty anyway and how does it compare to a round port?

I've also been wondering what the port area is on the Dynasty. I almost e-mailed Chad and asked him but since I'm not really in the market for one at the moment I figured I'd leave a very busy man with a couple more minutes in his day. However, if someone else finds out I'd be interested to know
post #8408 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hksvr4 View Post

How big is the port on the Dynasty anyway and how does it compare to a round port?

With out measuring it, id say about 20" wide by 2-3" tall.
post #8409 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmacdyn View Post

With out measuring it, id say about 20" wide by 2-3" tall.

If you get a chance we'd be curious to know the exact measurements...at your convenience of course
post #8410 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by theelviscerator View Post

Phoenix showed up right on schedule.

Gongrats on your new sub! I had the pleasure to listen to one of these monsters not to long ago and was utterly and almost literaly BLOWN AWAY!!!

Quote:


The same scene in Transformers that had upset the Dragon at the levels I was listening is louder then before by a couple dB, with no pop/click...
Mission Accomplished...

HOLY SH@! What the hell levels where you listening to that could possibly upset the Dragon?? Please do tell!
post #8411 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnhateSony View Post


HOLY SH@! What the hell levels where you listening to that could possibly upset the Dragon?? Please do tell!

its going to depend a lot on room size, and placement and such as well. the dragon is very capable, but everything has it's limits especially as you dig deeper and deeper.

the way i listen i'd rather have a ported sub. even if the sealed sub will play lower and have a slower roll off i'd still rather have a ported sub. i guess elvis is the same way but didn't realize it at first.
post #8412 of 20352
Yes I am a whore for a ported sub.......thanks for FORCING me to admit it!

post #8413 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnhateSony View Post

Gongrats on your new sub! I had the pleasure to listen to one of these monsters not to long ago and was utterly and almost literaly BLOWN AWAY!!!



HOLY SH@! What the hell levels where you listening to that could possibly upset the Dragon?? Please do tell!

I was at about 103dB uncorrected in ONE scene from transformers...nothing else I could do to it got silly...except for the ear fatigue...

And it probably was a room thing........
post #8414 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjasonb View Post

its going to depend a lot on room size, and placement and such as well. the dragon is very capable, but everything has it's limits especially as you dig deeper and deeper.

the way i listen i'd rather have a ported sub. even if the sealed sub will play lower and have a slower roll off i'd still rather have a ported sub. i guess elvis is the same way but didn't realize it at first.

True, I never had a problem with the Dragon not being enough. Besides, my room is 10x12. I hit 102db and it was insane in my room.
post #8415 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2 View Post

After the Anti Mode, you can use a "Y" splitter on the LFE cable anywhere you want to. I have mine split off at the end of the LFE line.

Bill

Actually, since the Antimode has two outputs , one at zero degrees and the other at 180 degrees, you can use IT as the splitter and simply switch the polarity of the Epik that is connected to the latter.

This is assuming that, in your setup, you would like the subs to end up in the same polarity. If you find it best to have the dual dubs in opposite polarity, then leave both subs switched to 0 degrees and connect the opposite polarity outputs from Antimode as above.
post #8416 of 20352
Is it normal to have one sub at 0 and one at 180, because that seems to work best in my room..

I cut an oak 1x6 into 5.5 inch squares into coasters and put the sub up on it...the VENTS were jammed into the carpet!.......thing was almost sealed....



LL
post #8417 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by theelviscerator View Post

Is it normal to have one sub at 0 and one at 180, because that seems to work best in my room..

I cut an oak 1x6 into 5.5 inch squares into coasters and put the sub up on it...the VENTS were jammed into the carpet!.......thing was almost sealed....



does it sound better with the coasters? i just noticed my vents made an imprint on the carpet so i guess it nearly sealed too.
post #8418 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmacdyn View Post

With out measuring it, id say about 20" wide by 2-3" tall.

Yes, I seen the Dynasty in Chad's business and would agree with these measurements. The port area on the Dynasty is rather large
post #8419 of 20352
I have a large scrap piece of granite under my Phoenix to avoid the ports sinking into the carpeting. Chad told me that carpeting should make no difference with the ports. I, on the other hand, feel better having the Phoenix resting on a hard surface.
post #8420 of 20352
you guys should get Subdude's or GRAMMA's for your Phoenixes. port clearance problem solved.
post #8421 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post

I have a large scrap piece of granite under my Phoenix to avoid the ports sinking into the carpeting. Chad told me that carpeting should make no difference with the ports. I, on the other hand, feel better having the Phoenix resting on a hard surface.


Ditto, those are a temp fix, my ports actually left their shape in the carpet.

I havent tested yet...soon...my ears still resting from the first onslaught....

Since I had the saw out, I was cutting up other wood for the wifes shed project....

They should SOUND like ported subs now actually....for a hard surface those feet are fine, but for carpet they need about another 3/4....
post #8422 of 20352
Hi All,

I am still trying to understand the nuances of sealed vs ported. I have RC-70's and RC-LCR with pioneer 1019 avr. I have 12X 12 room that opens into 15X15 room. 50/50 use between HT and music. Trying to decide between phoenix vs. dragon. Can you provide opinions?

Thanks,
Milan
post #8423 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjasonb View Post

you guys should get Subdude's or GRAMMA's for your Phoenixes. port clearance problem solved.

I can see if you've got long nap carpeting where the down ports might make the Phoenix sound sealed. But, short carpeting shouldn't be a problem.

Can you even get the Phoenix feet to sit on top of the Aurelex Great Gramma? The Phoenix is 22" wide. The Great Gramma is only 19" wide. Perhaps the feet would fit. Just not sure.

In either case, my carpet is low nap.

I like Gov's solution or maybe putting some of those "carpet" thingies like this?

http://www.hangercity.com/larcarprot.html
post #8424 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by patemd View Post

Hi All,

I am still trying to understand the nuances of sealed vs ported. I have RC-70's and RC-LCR with pioneer 1019 avr. I have 12X 12 room that opens into 15X15 room. 50/50 use between HT and music. Trying to decide between phoenix vs. dragon. Can you provide opinions?

Thanks,
Milan

i prefer ported subs, so i'd have to say go with the Phoenix. FYI, the Phoenix can be ran sealed. Chad from Epik says it's fine to plug the ports if you prefer sealed for music.
post #8425 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicguy View Post

I can see if you've got long nap carpeting where the down ports might make the Phoenix sound sealed. But, short carpeting shouldn't be a problem.

Can you even get the Phoenix feet to sit on top of the Aurelex Great Gramma? The Phoenix is 22" wide. The Great Gramma is only 19" wide. Perhaps the feet would fit. Just not sure.

In either case, my carpet is low nap.

I like Gov's solution or maybe putting some of those "carpet" thingies like this?

http://www.hangercity.com/larcarprot.html

ah yea. it might not fit on one. Auralex needs to offer more sizes for the Subdude's.
post #8426 of 20352
For the Phoenix you need two SubDudes because its so wide. I think even a large sturdy piece of hard wood would be another alternative. The only reason I used a piece of granite is because I happened to be able to get a reminate piece that was the perfect size and color for FREE Granite ain't cheap!
post #8427 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post

For the Phoenix you need two SubDudes because its so wide. I think even a large sturdy piece of hard wood would be another alternative. The only reason I used a piece of granite is because I happened to be able to get a reminate piece that was the perfect size and color for FREE Granite ain't cheap!

isn't the Subdude 15"x15"?

i'm pretty sure it is. which means two side by side would be 15"x30" which still wouldn't cover the whole thing being that the phoenix is 22x22x22. you would need to GRAMMA's, which would be 23"x30" .
post #8428 of 20352
Originally Posted by Hksvr4
How big is the port on the Dynasty anyway and how does it compare to a round port?

Originally Posted by johnmacdyn
With out measuring it, id say about 20" wide by 2-3" tall.

The interior opening of the rectangular port on the Dynasty is exactly 18.5 inches by 2 inches. In surface area, it is equivalent to one 6.86-inch-diagonal circular port, or two 4.85-inch-diagonal circular ports.

SCD
post #8429 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjasonb View Post

isn't the Subdude 15"x15"?

i'm pretty sure it is. which means two side by side would be 15"x30" which still wouldn't cover the whole thing being that the phoenix is 22x22x22. you would need to GRAMMA's, which would be 23"x30" .

Yep, Gramma's
post #8430 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDouglas View Post

Originally Posted by Hksvr4
How big is the port on the Dynasty anyway and how does it compare to a round port?

Originally Posted by johnmacdyn
With out measuring it, id say about 20" wide by 2-3" tall.

The interior opening of the rectangular port on the Dynasty is exactly 18.5 inches by 2 inches. In surface area, it is equivalent to one 6.86-inch-diagonal circular port, or two 4.85-inch-diagonal circular ports.

SCD

Thanks, that's pretty big. That's almost the size of the Conquest's dual 6" ports.

Quote:


Hi All,

I am still trying to understand the nuances of sealed vs ported. I have RC-70's and RC-LCR with pioneer 1019 avr. I have 12X 12 room that opens into 15X15 room. 50/50 use between HT and music. Trying to decide between phoenix vs. dragon. Can you provide opinions?

Thanks,
Milan

The difference between the two is 20hz and lower. If you want more HT performance than the Phoenix. It's really up to you. My room is 10x12 and and the Dragon works great. I prefer sealed myself. That's just me. How about the size? The extra 2" on the Phoenix makes a big difference. It's actually bigger in person.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home

Gear mentioned in this thread:

AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Official Epik Subwoofer Thread