or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Official Epik Subwoofer Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Epik Subwoofer Thread - Page 4

post #91 of 20352
That Epik Conquest specs and pictures makes me tingle. It looks really, really intense. Sherv, see if you can talk Chad into releasing some specs on that one!

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #92 of 20352
Chads facility is right down the street from my house. I really need to go pay him a visit and see/hear these first hand!

Do you think I'd be welcome if I went knocking on his door

I'm sure he's a busy guy with lots more important to do rather than entertain some random forum member.
post #93 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboniman View Post

Chads facility is right down the street from my house. I really need to go pay him a visit and see/hear these first hand!

Do you think I'd be welcome if I went knocking on his door

I'm sure he's a busy guy with lots more important to do rather than entertain some random forum member.

I would think this person would welcome you with open arms and have a copy of Master and Commander and War of the Worlds at his side just salivating to demo his product. AVS can be a very powerful marketing machine!!
post #94 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundsGood View Post

Hmmm... I much prefer the smaller size of the SVS.

The Epik Castle might be a better comparison to the SVS, about the same size, and the same driver and amp as the Tower.
post #95 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by henwong View Post

The Epik Castle might be a better comparison to the SVS, about the same size, and the same driver and amp as the Tower.

Good point. I'd like to see this comparison too.
post #96 of 20352
its kind of odd they have 4 different 15" sub configs that seem so similar.. it looks to me like there are two different box configurations, two drivers, and two amps.. there is the lower end amp with the smaller box with the lower end driver.. then the larger box with the same amp and driver.. then there is the smaller box with the better amp and better driver, and the larger box with better amp and better driver.
Is this correct?
They really should have a comparison page or something.
post #97 of 20352
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwolfe38 View Post

its kind of odd they have 4 different 15" sub configs that seem so similar.. it looks to me like there are two different box configurations, two drivers, and two amps.. there is the lower end amp with the smaller box with the lower end driver.. then the larger box with the same amp and driver.. then there is the smaller box with the better amp and better driver, and the larger box with better amp and better driver.
Is this correct?
They really should have a comparison page or something.

yes....there are two 15" drivers, a powerful 15" and an ultra long throw "big" 15", plus the amps and enclosure configurations, ergo the differences.

a comparo chart would DEFINITELY be great!
post #98 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo View Post

indeed....myself included.

ultra long throw 15" vs ultra long throw 13.3"
27H x 20W x 30D vs 22H x 20.5W x 27D
single 6" port vs 3 x 4" ports

let the games begin!

Doesn't the Ultra have 3 x 3.5" ports (native tune)? That's almost exactly the same port area as a single 6" has.

I wonder if Ilkka will test one or two of them?
post #99 of 20352
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Mayer View Post

Doesn't the Ultra have 3 x 3.5" ports (native tune)? That's almost exactly the same port area as a single 6" has.

I wonder if Ilkka will test one or two of them?

dayum...you are right Richard...I thought they were 4" ports. My bad! So there you have it.


I'm hoping Ilkka will test the Epik Tower and/or Conquest for sure!!! Maybe Chad will send one his way, who knows. Hopefully someone will get Ilkka a PB13 as well.....I know I've heard rumors thru the grapevine that Tom Noussaine may get his paws on one of the Epik subs for measurements as well.
post #100 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo View Post

dayum...you are right Richard...I thought they were 4" ports. My bad! So there you have it.


I'm hoping Ilkka will test the Epik Tower and/or Conquest for sure!!! Maybe Chad will send one his way, who knows. Hopefully someone will get Ilkka a PB13 as well.....I know I've heard rumors thru the grapevine that Tom Noussaine may get his paws on one of the Epik subs for measurements as well.

I believe that there is a very good "chance" that one of Chad's subs will be reviewed shortly

BTW, I live too far away to visit him - but he has mentioned many times that if I was ever near him on a trip I was welcome to stop by and tour the facility and hear some "toys."

JP
post #101 of 20352
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zora View Post

I believe that there is a very good "chance" that one of Chad's subs will be reviewed shortly

BTW, I live too far away to visit him - but he has mentioned many times that if I was ever near him on a trip I was welcome to stop by and tour the facility and hear some "toys."

JP

indeed you are right.... but he aint spilling the beans yet with graphs! that sonofa'!

http://www.epiksubwoofers.com/News4.html

Quote:


the email with Mr. Nousaine's measurement results, we were especially pleased to read this sentence:

The Conquest has more SPL than any other commercial subwoofer I've measured.

After looking at the output results, we noticed that the Conquest apparently even supplied high levels of 12.5 Hz output in his listening room at levels that were louder than many have achieved in the 20-32 Hz range.
post #102 of 20352
Congrats Chad, the subwoofers look really nice!
post #103 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo View Post

Scott Atwek is working WITH chad from a business standpoint. Scott is still managing Ficar, and will be taking care of Ascendant Audio as well (still a big player in the car audio scene)

Sorry but Ascendant audio is NOT a big player in car audio. It's pretty small time from what I
understand.
post #104 of 20352
Thread Starter 
finally some more pics....cabinet interior and bracing:



http://www.epiksubwoofers.com/News5.html
post #105 of 20352
Thread Starter 
I knew IT!!!!

Man, I thought with the driver specs and overall design I saw, this guy would be a monster for sure.............but not of this magnitude!!! HOLY SMOKES!

http://www.epiksubwoofers.com/News6.html
freq - SPL -- Distortion
62hz - 113.5 db - 0.7%
50hz - 110.8 db - 1.3%
40hz - 112.5 db - 2.6%
32hz - 115.5 db - 2.6%
25hz - 112.3 db - 4.1%
20hz - 109.3 db - 6.0%
16hz - 104.7 db - 11%
12.5hz - 103.8 db - 3.4%

Max SPL at 32hz: 115.5dB

BW uniformity: 98%

Average SPL (25-62hz): 112.9 dB

FR @ 2m GP: 26hz to 125hz +- 3.7dB

man, gimme a commercial sub under $2k that will produce those numbers and you got my attention!!! Of course, DIY is a whole different story!
post #106 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo View Post

Of course, DIY is a whole different story!

Yup.

Quote:


Average SPL (25-62hz): 112.9 dB

DIY TC Sounds TC-2000 15" ported 270L: 113.5 dB

Quote:


FR @ 2m GP: 26hz to 125hz +- 3.7dB

DIY TC Sounds TC-2000 15" ported 270L: 13.5 Hz to 150 Hz +- 3dB

It's a good commercial sub though.
post #107 of 20352
Now we just need a TRW-type device for <$2k to pair with the Conquest.
post #108 of 20352
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Mayer View Post

Yup.


DIY TC Sounds TC-2000 15" ported 270L: 113.5 dB


DIY TC Sounds TC-2000 15" ported 270L: 13.5 Hz to 150 Hz +- 3dB

It's a good commercial sub though.

oh mos def!

but still, i'm pretty psyched to see a commercial sub that finally brings the performance level up, and price down....it's a refreshing change!
post #109 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Mayer View Post

Yup.


DIY TC Sounds TC-2000 15" ported 270L: 113.5 dB


DIY TC Sounds TC-2000 15" ported 270L: 13.5 Hz to 150 Hz +- 3dB

It's a good commercial sub though.

Not all diy subs will get those numbers sub box might be better some worst, any little thing like over killing or not enough bracing or even wrong port length will change those numbers...But those are some good base numbers.
post #110 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Mayer View Post

Yup.


DIY TC Sounds TC-2000 15" ported 270L: 113.5 dB


DIY TC Sounds TC-2000 15" ported 270L: 13.5 Hz to 150 Hz +- 3dB

It's a good commercial sub though.

You cannot compare data from a Noussaine test to an Ilkka test. For example, Noussaine had the SVS PB12-NSD as being flat to 34 Hz while Ilkka had the 3 dB down point being 20.5 Hz, and average 25-62 SPL at 105 dB vs. Ilkka's 107 dB.
post #111 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsub View Post

You cannot compare data from a Noussaine test to an Ilkka test. For example, Noussaine had the SVS PB12-NSD as being flat to 34 Hz while Ilkka had the 3 dB down point being 20.5 Hz, and average 25-62 SPL at 105 dB vs. Ilkka's 107 dB.

Yeah, well 2 dB isn't that much. One hardly notices that kind of difference in SPL.

Wasn't the Conquest FR measured at ground plane?
post #112 of 20352
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Mayer View Post

Yeah, well 2 dB isn't that much. One hardly notices that kind of difference in SPL.

Wasn't the Conquest FR measured at ground plane?

GP 2m supposedly. There is a blurb on that PDF file report from Noussaine.
post #113 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsub View Post

You cannot compare data from a Noussaine test to an Ilkka test. For example, Noussaine had the SVS PB12-NSD as being flat to 34 Hz while Ilkka had the 3 dB down point being 20.5 Hz, and average 25-62 SPL at 105 dB vs. Ilkka's 107 dB.

TN probably has a room mode that raises the mid bass, but not the low or high bass. That would throw off his 3db bell curve. Illka measured outdoors so his curve is a better +-3db FR measurement. But you already know this.

now, if TN would take his FR average and then find the 3db point from the average, it would flatten the bell and raise the 3db point.
post #114 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Mayer View Post

Yeah, well 2 dB isn't that much. One hardly notices that kind of difference in SPL.

Wasn't the Conquest FR measured at ground plane?

Richard ... The SVS was measured as having a higher 3 dB down point and a lower SPL in Noussaine's in room measurements than in the outdoor measurements.

It is normal for an in room measurement to have higher SPL and a lower -3 dB down point due to room gain.

One either "gets" this, or not. If not, then I would suggest putting some additional thought into making the type of comparison that you have here.
post #115 of 20352
A better point of comparison for Nousaine's data is other data from Nousaine. These two subs have been measured by others, so this might be a more useful point of comparison as these were likely the previous champs, even though I've always found Nousaine's data somewhat limited in painting a full picture of performance:
Sound & Vision: Extreme Bass
post #116 of 20352
One might not notice a big difference of 2-3 db but the price tag difference sure is... but then again some people have more money then sense
post #117 of 20352
Thread Starter 
all I gotta say is this......if these measurements are accurate, I can't think of a single commercial sub out there with this kinda numbers anywhere NEAR this price.
post #118 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo View Post

all I gotta say is this......if these measurements are accurate, I can't think of a single commercial sub out there with this kinda numbers anywhere NEAR this price.

Are you (Elemental Designs A7-900) sure that no (A7-900) subwoofer for (A7-900) $2000 (A7-900) could match the Conquest ?
post #119 of 20352
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsub View Post

Are you (Elemental Designs A7-900) sure that no (A7-900) subwoofer for (A7-900) $2000 (A7-900) could match the Conquest ?

dunno....we need to see some measurements of said fridge
post #120 of 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsub View Post

Are you (Elemental Designs A7-900) sure that no (A7-900) subwoofer for (A7-900) $2000 (A7-900) could match the Conquest ?

That is something I would like to see compared. If I had to guess, the ed wont beat it by more then 2 dbs if that, but We would have to wait and see till someone test's it the same way those were tested.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home

Gear mentioned in this thread:

AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Official Epik Subwoofer Thread