or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › Reviews of Marantz VP4001?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Reviews of Marantz VP4001? - Page 5

post #121 of 2842
I'm sorry Tradewinds----I am pretty home theater savvy but have not seen a huge selection of projectors as I don't hang out in demo rooms. Amazing is relative to your experience I suppose and coming from a 2 generations back lcd----the black levels are very inky---the pq with Bluray is very detailed and shadow detail seems good too. My PannyAe700 is caibrated to the point that it gives off a good picture but if I wasn't really impressed I would not feel the need to upgrade.
Suffice it to say I was SHOCKED at the difference and at the rate of technological improvement in digital projectors in a mere 2 and a half years.
post #122 of 2842
Quote:
Originally Posted by tradewinds View Post

musicdirect has them at the next best price.


i.e. 1/2 MSRP. Don't think I'll be able to swing that much, damn.

Haven't seen a VP4001 on Ubid during the three days I've been looking.
post #123 of 2842
From projector reviews:


The more I watched it, the more I was impressed with the blacks. The XV-Z3000 manages inky blacks that rival more expensive projectors using the Darkchip3 DLP. The XV-Z3000 overall has the best image quality (with the possible exception of the Samsung SP-H710AE, which doesn't come close in terms of black levels) of any of the Darkchip2 DLP projectors I have reviewed.

The Marantz is Darkchip 3 but even though ultimate black levels will probably be equal to the Sharp I wonder what other attributes DC3 has over DC2. ANYONE?
post #124 of 2842
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAGON52 View Post

From projector reviews:


The more I watched it, the more I was impressed with the blacks. The XV-Z3000 manages inky blacks that rival more expensive projectors using the Darkchip3 DLP. The XV-Z3000 overall has the best image quality (with the possible exception of the Samsung SP-H710AE, which doesn't come close in terms of black levels) of any of the Darkchip2 DLP projectors I have reviewed.

The Marantz is Darkchip 3 but even though ultimate black levels will probably be equal to the Sharp I wonder what other attributes DC3 has over DC2. ANYONE?

Yes, that is the review that really puts these PJs into perspective. It gives an amazing PQ and has the blacks to go with it which the SP-H710AE would not. In fact it was a fellow AVSer who told me that his XV-Z3000 performed like a DC3 which made me got the VP4001 since I wanted the Mits HC3100. The problem with the HC3100 is that it has CA, the VP4001 has the Konica-Minolta lens with no CA I have seen.

As far as what improvement DC3 has over DC2, it would seem that in this implementation it may not be much. I have not been able to compare the two side by side in the same room and same screen and same PJs to know. In the end it may just be branding that is the difference as they had mentioned between the 12K and the 12kMII.
post #125 of 2842
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tradewinds View Post

As far as what improvement DC3 has over DC2, it would seem that in this implementation it may not be much.

I seem to recall reading something similar, tradewinds.

I'll look when I get home, but the bottom line was that in practice, the DC2 v. DC3 was not apparent.
post #126 of 2842
grr, my order has been " In Credit Card Processing " for quite a while now.
post #127 of 2842
Order with which vendor?
post #128 of 2842
ubid - I have ordered one thing from them many years ago, and I think that one took some time as well.
post #129 of 2842
Tomorrow will be a week and they haven't shipped mine yet!
post #130 of 2842
Quote:
Originally Posted by stemark View Post

Tomorrow will be a week and they haven't shipped mine yet!

That sucks, what does your status say? I'm not in any hurry for mine, but I still want it to arrive.
post #131 of 2842
hopefully ubid did not accept more orders than they had quantity on hand. The ones I bought were manufactured last month so I think Marantz is still producing them.
post #132 of 2842
Quote:
Originally Posted by tradewinds View Post

hopefully ubid did not accept more orders than they had quantity on hand. The ones I bought were manufactured last month so I think Marantz is still producing them.

I'm not sure, I bought mine (hopefully) on saturday afternoon and I saw another one listed on sunday. I didn't know if everyone else's was slow, or it was just me.
post #133 of 2842
Thread Starter 
To those of you exeperiencing delayed shipment from uBid.com:

Did you specify a shipping address different from your CC billing address? For some reason uBid has issues when this happens.

I ordered mine on a Sunday, and Monday morning I was on the phone confirming the order was correct. I received it the following Friday. (Total time from auction end to receipt was 5.5 days, including a Sunday.)
post #134 of 2842
Yes I used a different address but cleared that up the day after the auction.

After sitting in "IN PROCESS" for several days I called and later that day they
moved it to "IN WAREHOUSE".

I just checked MY PAGE on their site and it now says "SHIPPED" no tracking
number though.
post #135 of 2842
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAGON52 View Post

I'm sorry Tradewinds----I am pretty home theater savvy but have not seen a huge selection of projectors as I don't hang out in demo rooms. Amazing is relative to your experience I suppose and coming from a 2 generations back lcd----the black levels are very inky---the pq with Bluray is very detailed and shadow detail seems good too. My PannyAe700 is caibrated to the point that it gives off a good picture but if I wasn't really impressed I would not feel the need to upgrade.
Suffice it to say I was SHOCKED at the difference and at the rate of technological improvement in digital projectors in a mere 2 and a half years.

I've had a couple placeholders, but my last main projector was a Sanyo Z2 that I managed to cause to display white. This was LEAGUES ahead of what I expected. I had an infocus DLP, which was nice, especially when calibrated, but this is definitely another league.
post #136 of 2842
Quote:
Originally Posted by stemark View Post

Tomorrow will be a week and they haven't shipped mine yet!

All of you who are "in processing," CALL them! Their credit department needs to verify your shipping address and will drag their feet unless you bug them. When you call them, it will ship the next business day.

And, just to clarify, they are shipped from Marantz to ubid, then to you.
post #137 of 2842
Boo. Mine is still in cc processing too, and it's after hours for their credit department. I even have my 2nd ship addressed fully authorized as an alternate address with my cc company. I have had mixed results with Ubid in the past, and with this one, more bad than good. I do have to say, my Marantz receiver that I got for slightly less than half retail is still going strong though. They did screw me on speakers once though, only sending me 1 of 2 fronts and never being able to find another front speaker to match. The way they did not resolve that issue still irks me. On the otherhand, I did make them take a monitor back once that had some dead pixels, and I did get them to pay for all of the shipping (to and from) as well. Many threats were required for that one though.
post #138 of 2842
Isn't there a Marrantz rep that will comment on the differences between the Sharp 3000 and the 4001?
post #139 of 2842
Quote:
Originally Posted by PACDADDY View Post

Isn't there a Marrantz rep that will comment on the differences between the Sharp 3000 and the 4001?

I think if you read the threads here about the 4001 you will notice that most of the differences noted came from the technical folks at Marantz whom WVS members have spoken with. I know there are three of them who from time to time make posts on AVS, however it seems they are only allowed to choose their words carefully when noting these differences due to the fact Marantz did not pay for certain rights of technologies used in the VP4001. This is the only reason I am speculating that none of them has contributed to these discussions lately.

Here is the last comment made that I am aware of from Marantz regarding the differences to the Sharp:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...89&postcount=4
post #140 of 2842
Thanks Tradewinds...I read that, but no offense intended here, but I find it hard to believe a company like Marantz would take a chance on using unlicensed technology, especially in a their low end mobile with a low profit margin.

How could commenting specifically on the differences be a problem unless what you're saying is true? If it's true, it sounds like poor judgement on their part, or maybe I'm missing the big picture.

How would the picture of a 4001 compare to Sharp 10000 MK2? Do you have an opinion on that comparision?
post #141 of 2842
There is a Marantz engineer that posts on the greater than 3000 forum. Do a search over there for the vp4001 and you should get one hit. You need to read through the posts but I think he goes he goes by BobL I believe.

Remember, Marantz is not usually less than $3000.
post #142 of 2842
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PACDADDY View Post

Thanks Tradewinds...I read that, but no offense intended here, but I find it hard to believe a company like Marantz would take a chance on using unlicensed technology, especially in a their low end mobile with a low profit margin.

How could commenting specifically on the differences be a problem unless what you're saying is true? If it's true, it sounds like poor judgement on their part, or maybe I'm missing the big picture.

How would the picture of a 4001 compare to Sharp 10000 MK2? Do you have an opinion on that comparision?

My take on this projector, the confusion and the tight-lipped reps is that it was Marantz' first jaunt into the sub-$10k market.

I think they tried to offer it well below what would actually be required to make a profit. Poor judgment? Maybe, who knows.

Pure speculation only, but it doesn't really matter. Personally I couldn't be happier with my first experience in the front-PJ arena. I owe part of that satisfaction to Marantz delivering a solid product.
post #143 of 2842
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed32219 View Post

There is a Marantz engineer that posts on the greater than 3000 forum. Do a search over there for the vp4001 and you should get one hit. You need to read through the posts but I think he goes he goes by BobL I believe.

Remember, Marantz is not usually less than $3000.

BobL I do not believe is a Marantz engineer. He is a Marantz dealer. The link I posted for PACDADDY was a Marantz engineer's response to BobL.
post #144 of 2842
The thread ^^^ is one where BobL(dealer not engineer) says its the same unit as the 2000 and that lead to the posted (link) above. The Marantz rep disputed that they were the same, but didn't give any specifics....I find that troubling.
post #145 of 2842
Umm, you're right. My bad, here is a clip from the greater than $3000 thread.

Dan miller is a product manager for Marantz as seen below, not BobL.

"I don't want to hijack this thread. We can PM or start a new one if you like.
__________________
Dan Miller
Product Manager, Video Display Products
Marantz America
Click here to email me "
post #146 of 2842
I hope you're right pratticus, because I expect mine to arrive tomorrow.

FYI>>>I bought mine from ubid and had to call them to verify shipping address.

I was leaning towards the Sharp 10000 mk2...I hope I didn't make a mistake, because I didn't care for the 3000.
post #147 of 2842
Anyone have a mount suggestion for a drop ceiling with a future anamorphic lense addition?
post #148 of 2842
Quote:
Originally Posted by PACDADDY View Post

Thanks Tradewinds...I read that, but no offense intended here, but I find it hard to believe a company like Marantz would take a chance on using unlicensed technology, especially in a their low end mobile with a low profit margin.

How could commenting specifically on the differences be a problem unless what you're saying is true? If it's true, it sounds like poor judgement on their part, or maybe I'm missing the big picture.

How would the picture of a 4001 compare to Sharp 10000 MK2? Do you have an opinion on that comparision?

The issue is that they did not take a chance so to speak. From what I was told, they developed it based on technology they had developed for their S1. Without getting into what technologies again, to use the names Konica-Minolta and Darkchip3 etc means they would have to pay Konica-Minolta and Texas Instrments to use these trademaked names. They opted to not use these in their advertisement so to increase the profit margin. They tried to sell these at $4K each but were not successful, partly IMHO because they failed to market these pieces of technologies or their dealer channels are still selling their clients the S4 and above.

Remember, Marantz is sold more by seeing than looking at specs. It is sold by dealers who can put in a PJ for a particular client within a particular budget, calibrate it and it should blow the client away. I think this is the PJ they created to make more budget minded clients able to put a Marantz quality in their HT rooms, however if the dealers were selling this at $4K, I am sure they were pushing the S4s for that extra profit. Anyway, this is just my analysis from what I have been told here and there by the folks at TI and Marantz.
post #149 of 2842
So as long as you don't advertise certain products you put in a projector your not violating any licensing laws? serious question...I don't know the answer.

I look forward to getting my first projector...and it's a Marantz!!! wooohoo!
post #150 of 2842
Quote:
Originally Posted by PACDADDY View Post

How would the picture of a 4001 compare to Sharp 10000 MK2? Do you have an opinion on that comparision?

I do not. What I have posted before is from Plasmacity. Here is the comment they made regarding some of the top 720p out there. It compares the XV-Z3000 instead of the VP4001, so take that into consideration, but it is the closest I guess to side-by-side comparisons.:

SHARP XVZ12000 MK2
SharpVision XV-Z12000 MARK II Whisper-quiet, 7000:1 contrast ratio and 1000 ANSI Lumens. Using the DC3 DLP chip, and a 7-segment 5x color wheel improve the picture quality to new levels. The Mark II was a real let down. Sharp missed the boat with this projector. The older 12000 was much better projector in our minds.

BENQ PE8720
PE8720 Cinema Projector 10,000:1 CONTRAST Native WXGA 16:9 720P resolution (1280x 720) BenQ is transforming home cinema with the new HD3 DarkChip DMD-Chip from Texas Instruments. Much improved over the 8700 but fall short of the SharpVision XV-Z12000 MARK II capabilities. This is one of the best deals out there versus the Sharp XV-Z12000 MARK II which is overpriced in the market. Now priced under $3600.00

SHARP XVZ12000
SharpVision XV-Z12000 now half the price. Best projector under 4K we've seen period. This projector won every shootout in EVERY magazine and it simply incredible. They are going fast. They have no weakness now that they are half the price. Picture quality is equal to the Benq 8720 but the extra's like Reliability, Build Quality, setup and adjustments is Sharp's by a mile.

SHARP XV-Z3000
WOW! This was our first impression. Almost half the price of its big brother and picture quality equal to the previous generation XV-Z12000. See the amazing review from Projector Central. Also check out the Sharp DT500 below which is basically the same projector for even less money.

SHARP DT500
THIS PROJECTOR IS IDENTICAL TO THE AMAZING SHARP XV-Z3000 MINUS THE DUAL IRIS. If you want the best projector under $2K this is it. True black levels, amazing contrast and just as sharp as the Z4 or any of the projectors above.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › Reviews of Marantz VP4001?