or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Official SVS Ultra 13 thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official SVS Ultra 13 thread - Page 330

post #9871 of 10323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylz25 View Post

Yeah I do get bass when playing movies/music now just not at the level I thought it would be with this beast!! frown.gif I will do more testing!

BTW how big is your room? And how far is your listening position from the sub?
post #9872 of 10323
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchong View Post

BTW how big is your room? And how far is your listening position from the sub?

Room is about 3000 cubic feet and I sit around 15ft from the sub. I could put the sub behind me so it's closer and near the seating.
post #9873 of 10323
Still do check with SVS about your levels. Your sub level at 0db and AVR at +4db is unusual.

During my calibration, my PB13 is at -10dB and after Audyssey the trim is set at -8dB. Mine room is sealed 2000 ft3.
post #9874 of 10323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylz25 View Post

Room is about 3000 cubic feet and I sit around 15ft from the sub. I could put the sub behind me so it's closer and near the seating.

Have you tried your old sub in this position using same cable and connection to AVR?

If new sub position it could be in a null.

I would contact SVS support and get them to work through problem with you, I have read of subs with a bad amp module, unlikely but it does happen.
post #9875 of 10323
Stylz25 -

Here are some things to check in your system:

Subwoofer:
Voltage input toggle switch set to Normal (already done).
Gain set to 0 dB (already done).
Low pass filter disabled.
Room gain comp disabled.
PEQ 1/2 disabled.
Phase set to 0 degrees.

AVR/BD player:
All speaker channels bass-managed (i.e., not set to full-band/full-range) with a speaker/sub crossover appropriate for their respective bass extension and dynamic output capabilities.
BD player is connected to AVR via HDMI and bitstreaming audio codecs and the AVR is seeing/decoding DD TrueHD and DTS Master Audio.
Dynamic range compression circuits disabled (these options can vary depending on what audio codecs are being played).
Dynamic Volume set to the least restrictive setting and/or disabled.
2-channel source material often has a separate menu for digital bass management - make sure the subwoofer is seeing a signal on 2-channel and that the mains are not set to full-band/full-range (often the default for 2-ch Direct).

If the subwoofer is properly level-matched, it will not 'blow-out the room' on most 2-channel source material (which simply doesn't contain huge amounts of deep bass). A possible exception might be hip/hop, dub-step, rap, trance music which could deliberately be over-cooked with sythesized deep bass. But in general an accurate subwoofer will not constantly make its presence obviously known (e.g., boomy, tubby, one-note-ish) on music. Some enthusiasts automatically expect an Ultra to sound like a pro-sound stage set-up (i.e., tons of mid-bass slam and over-emphasis in the 45-70 Hz band), and that simply isn't what accurate bass sounds like on music. A properly set-up, integrated, and accurate subwoofer should sound like an extension of the mains on music, and not like an independent source of obvious bass.

On action/sci-fi Blu-ray DVDs an Ultra will certainly pressurize the room with high SPLs and hit hard when the source material calls for it. Otherwise it should seamlessly blend and support the soundtrack and not call attention to itself. Migrating from a lesser sub (which likely has a non-linear FR with mid-bass emphasis) to an Ultra often requires a period of adjustment to the more accurate bass presentation.

If after addressing the above you still feel the Ultra is obviously under-performing, contact Sonic-Boom and/or SVS-USA for further assistance. Thanks.
post #9876 of 10323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Mullen View Post

Stylz25 -
Here are some things to check in your system:
Subwoofer:
Voltage input toggle switch set to Normal (already done).
Gain set to 0 dB (already done).
Low pass filter disabled.
Room gain comp disabled.
PEQ 1/2 disabled.
Phase set to 0 degrees.
AVR/BD player:
All speaker channels bass-managed (i.e., not set to full-band/full-range) with a speaker/sub crossover appropriate for their respective bass extension and dynamic output capabilities.
BD player is connected to AVR via HDMI and bitstreaming audio codecs and the AVR is seeing/decoding DD TrueHD and DTS Master Audio.
Dynamic range compression circuits disabled (these options can vary depending on what audio codecs are being played).
Dynamic Volume set to the least restrictive setting and/or disabled.
2-channel source material often has a separate menu for digital bass management - make sure the subwoofer is seeing a signal on 2-channel and that the mains are not set to full-band/full-range (often the default for 2-ch Direct).
If the subwoofer is properly level-matched, it will not 'blow-out the room' on most 2-channel source material (which simply doesn't contain huge amounts of deep bass). A possible exception might be hip/hop, dub-step, rap, trance music which could deliberately be over-cooked with sythesized deep bass. But in general an accurate subwoofer will not constantly make its presence obviously known (e.g., boomy, tubby, one-note-ish) on music. Some enthusiasts automatically expect an Ultra to sound like a pro-sound stage set-up (i.e., tons of mid-bass slam and over-emphasis in the 45-70 Hz band), and that simply isn't what accurate bass sounds like on music. A properly set-up, integrated, and accurate subwoofer should sound like an extension of the mains on music, and not like an independent source of obvious bass.
On action/sci-fi Blu-ray DVDs an Ultra will certainly pressurize the room with high SPLs and hit hard when the source material calls for it. Otherwise it should seamlessly blend and support the soundtrack and not call attention to itself. Migrating from a lesser sub (which likely has a non-linear FR with mid-bass emphasis) to an Ultra often requires a period of adjustment to the more accurate bass presentation.
If after addressing the above you still feel the Ultra is obviously under-performing, contact Sonic-Boom and/or SVS-USA for further assistance. Thanks.

Thanks for the info greatly appreciated!! Still find it strange my Ultra is at 0db and my AVR has to be at +4 or higher......wonder if the amp has an issue......hmmmmm
Edited by Stylz25 - 7/25/12 at 8:05am
post #9877 of 10323
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooksta View Post

Have you tried your old sub in this position using same cable and connection to AVR?
If new sub position it could be in a null.
I would contact SVS support and get them to work through problem with you, I have read of subs with a bad amp module, unlikely but it does happen.

Yeah my old sub used to be in the same place why I find it hard to believe my AVR is hardly picking my sub up when running Audyssey calibration!

Should I place the Ultra near the seating instead?? is 15ft away too far if I place it at the front?
Edited by Stylz25 - 7/25/12 at 7:27am
post #9878 of 10323
Hey I noticed if I unplug the sub cable or replug it in I get no thump or loud hum from my PB13-Ultra!! My Paradigm Sub DSP3400 I always get a thump or hum! Is something wrong with my Ultra?? Do your Ultras thump when unplugging and plugging the sub cable in when the sub is powered on???
post #9879 of 10323

you should never plug or unplug a signal cable from any audio equipment when it's powered on.

before doing connection changes, all the equipment should be shut down.

 

the fact that it does not do it with the Ultra probably means it has internal protection against doing foolish actions like this.

post #9880 of 10323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylz25 View Post

Yeah my old sub used to be in the same place why I find it hard to believe my AVR is hardly picking my sub up when running Audyssey calibration!
Should I place the Ultra near the seating instead?? is 15ft away too far if I place it at the front?

I would try placing old sub next to Ultra and connect using cable/connection's from Ultra and see if it works as normal. If it does you have setup issues or problems with the Ultra.If not you are looking at connection/setup issues with your AVR to the ultra (Ultra ok).You need to identify where the problem is to fix it.
post #9881 of 10323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylz25 View Post

Yeah my Ultra Gain/Volume level is at 0db and my AVR is at +4db!! My AVR is an Onkyo TX-NR807
i would strongly suggest contacting svs, because a buddy of mine got his second pb-13 ultra, and he said that when he pluged them both in the bass was much worse, almost nothing came out of them, do he turned the new one off, and the bass was much better, so he contacted svs, and talked to them for awhile, and he called me back and said that they had the leads reversed on the amp to the sub. So i would call them up, report back.
post #9882 of 10323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshjp View Post

i would strongly suggest contacting svs, because a buddy of mine got his second pb-13 ultra, and he said that when he pluged them both in the bass was much worse, almost nothing came out of them, do he turned the new one off, and the bass was much better, so he contacted svs, and talked to them for awhile, and he called me back and said that they had the leads reversed on the amp to the sub. So i would call them up, report back.
X 2 on contacting SVS it could save days of trial and error with one call or email. There CS. Is second to none! !!
post #9883 of 10323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gellidius View Post

you should never plug or unplug a signal cable from any audio equipment when it's powered on.
before doing connection changes, all the equipment should be shut down.

the fact that it does not do it with the Ultra probably means it has internal protection against doing foolish actions like this.
my exact thoughts when I read his posts. But now he knows and it is one of many learning curves that everyone goes threw.
post #9884 of 10323
What are some Blu ray movies you used to test your Ultra and what scene??

Oh and I know your not supposed to unplug or plug a signal cable from auido equipment at all! Just something I wanted to test since when I got my Ultra I had barely anything coming out of the sub!!!
post #9885 of 10323
Is your sub placed in a corner? That makes a tremendous difference. When I first received PB13 I had it next to my left speaker in a open space and I could not hear a single note of bass, needless to say I was devastated after reading all the feed back I expected my socks to be blown off my feet and instead I was getting more bass from a ****** samsung HTIB I had in my bedroom. That was until I decided to move it 14' accross to a corner and it made a unimaginable difference. I my couch is shaken violently along with all decors over the house, it was finally living up to the hype and expectations and i could not be happier, not gonna lie i got a lil teary eye i think from both relief and happiness, i had worked so hard and it took me over a year to put my system together the PB13 being joy and pride possession it was just heartbreaking when I unknowingly had it in the wrong location and all my hopes and dreams were crushed so i can totally relate to your situation. So yea make sure it's placed in a corner if possible.

I have a special sentimental attachment to a particular scene from iron man (1) because I was the first scene I tested when I moved my pb13 to the corner and that scene is when he comes out the mountain cave in the prototype robot. Pretty awesome bass heavy scene.

If you have war horse, the battle scenes are amazing too.
Edited by Elfather - 7/29/12 at 1:35pm
post #9886 of 10323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfather View Post

Is your sub placed in a corner? That makes a tremendous difference. When I first received PB13 I had it next to my left speaker in a open space and I could not hear a single note of bass, needless to say I was devastated after reading all the feed back I expected my socks to be blown off my feet and instead I was getting more bass from a ****** samsung HTIB I had in my bedroom. That was until I decided to move it 14' accross to a corner and it made a unimaginable difference. I my couch is shaken violently along with all decors over the house, it was finally living up to the hype and expectations and i could not be happier, not gonna lie i got a lil teary eye i think from both relief and happiness, i had worked so hard and it took me over a year to put my system together the PB13 being joy and pride possession it was just heartbreaking when I unknowingly had it in the wrong location and all my hopes and dreams were crushed so i can totally relate to your situation. So yea make sure it's placed in a corner if possible.
I have a special sentimental attachment to a particular scene from iron man (1) because I was the first scene I tested when I moved my pb13 to the corner and that scene is when he comes out the mountain cave in the prototype robot. Pretty awesome bass heavy scene.
If you have war horse, the battle scenes are amazing too.

Thx for the info man!! Greatly appreciated and I will test my Ultra in many locations of my room!! smile.gif
post #9887 of 10323

an excellent way for you to find a good place for your sub - and it will go much faster - is by doing the "subwoofer crawl".

just do a search for those terms.

post #9888 of 10323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gellidius View Post

an excellent way for you to find a good place for your sub - and it will go much faster - is by doing the "subwoofer crawl".
just do a search for those terms.
Doing REW sweep will be the best method to find the best position for your sub.
post #9889 of 10323
How many of you use a Y cable for your Ultra?? Curious on if you noticed an improvement by using a Y cable??
post #9890 of 10323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylz25 View Post

How many of you use a Y cable for your Ultra?? Curious on if you noticed an improvement by using a Y cable??

Does nothing but increase signal. No different than turning the sub level up.
post #9891 of 10323
Anyone here happening to be upgrading from a 16-46PC+ to an Ultra, and looking to find a new owner for their 16-46?
If so; please PM me.
post #9892 of 10323
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post

Does nothing but increase signal. No different than turning the sub level up.

What if my Ultra is at 0db which is max gain/volume?? why I find it weird SVS would only put it to 0....why not any higher?
post #9893 of 10323

all volume/sensitivity controls do the same thing. what differs from one to another is that, for a given vol. position, the numbers are different.

 

it's a bit like 2 cars: one car's speedometer is in km/hour and the other car's speedo. is in MPH;

different scales here, but one car's 62 MPH is the same as the other car's 100 km/hour.


Edited by Gellidius - 8/5/12 at 5:23am
post #9894 of 10323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylz25 View Post

How many of you use a Y cable for your Ultra?? Curious on if you noticed an improvement by using a Y cable??

Do any of you Ultra owners use a Y cable plugged into your left and right inputs???? Curious on if I should go ahead and get one of these cables for my ultra. thx
post #9895 of 10323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylz25 View Post

Do any of you Ultra owners use a Y cable plugged into your left and right inputs???? Curious on if I should go ahead and get one of these cables for my ultra. thx

A Y splitter will not add any power to the amplifier. It will double the input voltage, which will increase the subwoofer level by 6 dB for any given master volume setting. The same thing can be accomplished by increasing the subwoofer channel level by 6 dB.

I'm starting to wonder if your AVR has a low subwoofer channel output. We've seen this before during trouble-shooting, where no matter what the customer tried he was unable to drive the subwoofer to the expected playback level. He had the sub set to 0 dB, the AVR sub channel level set to +12, and the Master Volume set to +5 (well beyond reference level), and the sub was only generating ~100-101 dB peaks at the listening position. Adding a Y splitter increased the SPL peaks to ~106-107 dB, thus indicating the AVR sub output signal strength was very weak. He replaced the AVR and was immediately able to drive the subwoofer to full output at a normal/typical AVR sub channel level and master volume setting.
post #9896 of 10323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Mullen View Post

A Y splitter will not add any power to the amplifier. It will double the input voltage, which will increase the subwoofer level by 6 dB for any given master volume setting. The same thing can be accomplished by increasing the subwoofer channel level by 6 dB.
I'm starting to wonder if your AVR has a low subwoofer channel output. We've seen this before during trouble-shooting, where no matter what the customer tried he was unable to drive the subwoofer to the expected playback level. He had the sub set to 0 dB, the AVR sub channel level set to +12, and the Master Volume set to +5 (well beyond reference level), and the sub was only generating ~100-101 dB peaks at the listening position. Adding a Y splitter increased the SPL peaks to ~106-107 dB, thus indicating the AVR sub output signal strength was very weak. He replaced the AVR and was immediately able to drive the subwoofer to full output at a normal/typical AVR sub channel level and master volume setting.

Thanks for the info!! I think I am in need of a new AVR soon anyways since I have had my Onkyo 807 for awhile now. smile.gif
post #9897 of 10323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylz25 View Post

Yeah I do get bass when playing movies/music now just not at the level I thought it would be with this beast!! frown.gif I will do more testing!

You're probably used to a lot of cooked bass and don't like the results of Audyssey which is more accurate than what you might be used to. There are many complaints with the results of auto calibration when it comes to bass.
post #9898 of 10323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post

You're probably used to a lot of cooked bass and don't like the results of Audyssey which is more accurate than what you might be used to. There are many complaints with the results of auto calibration when it comes to bass.

Yeah I think I am used to the "cooked bass" from my other sub and it will take some time to get used to I guess! I was expecting the Ultra to blow me away and hit hard in my chest! Was wondering what you guys have your Ultra gain setting at and your AVR db setting as well?? Thx
post #9899 of 10323
Don't u have a friend who can lend u an avr just to double check if urs is working?

My ultra is at -10 and avr is -7. It's loud as a crazy thunder storm.
post #9900 of 10323
Quote:
Originally Posted by januza View Post

Don't u have a friend who can lend u an avr just to double check if urs is working?
My ultra is at -10 and avr is -7. It's loud as a crazy thunder storm.

I could maybe do that actually. Your Ultra is at -10 and your avr is -7db??? How big is your room??? wow....yeah I think I am missing something! I mean I put in Iron Man 2 and it sounds really good but takes quite a bit to activate the sub while my Paradigm 3400 sub in the back is going nuts and sounds amazing! My ultra is at 0db and my avr is at around +2 now.....I am worried something might be wrong with my Ultra......though I will do more testing and see if I can get another AVR but I never had a problem with bass with my avr before.
Edited by Stylz25 - 8/8/12 at 6:34am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Official SVS Ultra 13 thread