Making a little more progress Friday afternoon with the walls. What you see are 1x4 strips of poplar which we are using for furring strips. Fabric will be attached to the bottom rail and a pelmet or header will be attached to both the top and bottom rail, covering the top of the fabric and creating a decorative piece that will surround the room. We used 3" drywall screws to secure the 1x4's to the wall. The pieces are 8' long in most cases. When we were going to come up short using two 8' long pieces, we cut longer sections rather than have a really small block that might not hold screws well or find a stud.
The top rail is at 4" below the ceiling.
The speaker brackets for the surrounds are going to be moved back a few feet as I think I placed them to far in front of the listening position. I am trying to keep seating as far back from the screen as possible since the room is not large yet the screen is.
Here is a look at the idea we had for the header design. It's the same material we covered the arched window with, cut into 12" high strips, 8' long. This stuff is just flexible enough to bend into a shape and still support itself. We test fit one piece just to see if it would work. There are short block pieces at the opposing corner to receive the end of the material. We pulled out on it just enough to create a bow in it. Place two screws through the header and into the furring strips. Bow the next section and place two more screws in the end.
Next we were experimenting a little with rope lights and decided that the top rail or furring strip would be a great place to hide a strip of rope light and create a kind of low level up and down lighting effect. You get the idea here what it might look like. These pieces will be painted before they go up and will most likely get some kind of design to make them look more like a flowing piece of filmstrip. Of course the fabric will be attached to the bottom rail before any of this goes up.