okay, I did it, it works, took about 5 minutes.
FIRST OFF, PLEASE WAIT AT LEAST AN HOUR. I THINK THIS IS WHY THEY MAKE IT INACCESSIBLE TO THE TYPICAL USER IS BECAUSE SINCE IT IS SET OFF DUE TO OVERHEATING, YOU MUST WAIT TO RESET IT UNTIL IT HAS COOLED DOWN AGAIN!!! I REPEAT, DO NOT TRY THIS UNTIL YOU HAVE LET THE PROJECTOR COOL DOWN FOR AT LEAST AN HOUR!
1. Unplug cord from back.
2. remove 2 screws from back of case at the top.
3. turn over and remove all screws with an arrow pointing to it. These are all the ones in the deep holes, they are phillips head.
4. turn back over and set projector down.
5. lift top cover up starting at the back
6. If it grabs on the side, push in on the case in the middle at the top of the side it is binding on, there is a slight detante/clip built in on each side.
7. when the sides come free, keep tilting up, you kind of have to pull the lip out from under at the front, be gentle it will come easily you shouldn't have to force it.
8. Once cover is off, turn unit back over and look for little red button near the lamp at the front, and push it until it clicks.
9. put lid back on in reverse order. Bottom screws are easy, just drop them down hole and screw them in.
I only did this because I have done this kind of thing before, it is out of warranty and I got it at a good price. If you do this, you are doing it at your own risk, I assume no responsibilty if you mess up your projector. I can only tell you that it worked for me. I also took the lamp out, but I don't think you need to to get the top off, not positive. Good luck, I hope this helps! I should have taken a pic, maybe someone else will if they do it.