Originally Posted by mondo3
Like many others, I've narrowed down my search to 2 units; in my case the yamaha 3800 or the pioneer 94. Disregarding the difference in sound quality (as that's generally a personal choice, and I have no way of doing an A/B test), what features or flaws are there in each receiver that the other does not have? I'm going to post this on the Yamaha forum also, to get their perspective.
Here is a list of my fav's:
1. Neural Music Direct - Hi quality internet music streaming. I believe that only the Pio 94 has this. Not to be confused with Neural Sound (not the same thing).
2. Custom input names
3. MCACC is much better than people think it is. This is very good Room EQ software and really dials in a very tight sweet spot.
4. Heat dissipation is top notch. Unit runs very cool compared to just about any receiver in its class.
5. Front display is very well thought out (not to mention very attractive).
6. Tons of power. Unit is always on it's best behaviour.
7. Switching between sources is very quick. The left knob is dedicated to this.
8. Bass management is very well done. It is very selective. Many receivers just always keep it on. The Pio will correctly detect if is required or not. At first, I viewed this as a flaw. I now appreciate this very much.
9. This unit is the supermodel of receivers (heavy supermodel). Very attractive. It looks even better with the Pio BDP-95FD Blu-Ray player
Here is what I like less about it:
a. Remote is not backlit and functions are not streamlined
b. No remote for zone 2/3
c. MCACC's sweetspot is a bit too small for larger rooms.
d. OSD aesthetics are horrid