or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Dell M2010 Remote
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dell M2010 Remote - Page 3

post #61 of 510
SUCCESS! SUCCESS! SUCCESS!

This is so freaking cool!

Questions:
----------
1. Is the remote only compatible with windows media player for playing music?
2. How useful is the GyroTools Media Center Control Software with this remote?
3. How can I program the TV button to power on/off my receiver or projector?
I tried it following the instructions in the posted manual. No luck.
I guess your device has to be on the supported list first. After that, it can learn additional commands.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENZONATE View Post

Hello spectrumbx,

Take a look at post #26 (between the pictures). This will provide you with the proper connection for your usb dongle. Here is some quick info:

RED & GREEN = BLACK

YELLOW = GREEN

WHITE = WHITE

BLACK = RED

Please post if you have further issues.

~b3nz0n8
post #62 of 510
Spectrumbx,

Google the retail version of the Gyration remote. There is a retail version & manual that may have additional commands....that should work. I am off, but will try to help later.

~b3nz0n8
post #63 of 510
BENZONATE,

The retail version with the LCD is nowhere to be found.
On the company's website, it says the product is coming soon.

I find that very strange since the Dell remote has been out since 2006.
I think they have a deal with Dell that has stopped them from releasing a retail version until an undisclosed date.

In any case, the Dell remote is great.
I no longer have to have a mouse around for my HTPC.
Now I need to figure out what to do with my Gyration mouse.

Thanks.
post #64 of 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrumbx View Post

BENZONATE,

The retail version with the LCD is nowhere to be found.
On the company's website, it says the product is coming soon.

I find that very strange since the Dell remote has been out since 2006.
I think they have a deal with Dell that has stopped them from releasing a retail version until an undisclosed date.

In any case, the Dell remote is great.
I no longer have to have a mouse around for my HTPC.
Now I need to figure out what to do with my Gyration mouse.

Thanks.

Hey Spectrumbx,

I agree. I have kept an eye on various spins on this remote for a few years. It is certain, the agreement between Dell and Gyration has kept the Ultra Gyration R4000 LCD flavor from realizing a retail release. There have been a few reviews and projected release dates, but as you said, nowhere to be found.

CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE: ULTRA GYRATION R4000: (...Please post if you have found availability)




CURRENTLY AVAILABLE: Gyration Motion Sensing Remote Control Certified for Microsoft Vista (Item Number: G128-1044)






Also, I have yet to obtain, but very interested in digging into the Gyration software. I do have a copy of the Gyration manual & codes, which may help. If you can provide details on your hardware, I will compare the Dell codes to the Gyration manual and possibly come up with something that works for you.

Also, take a look at linux version www.Fiire.com.

...and the downloads section: http://fiire.com/downloads.php



Thanks Spectrumbx for your input and it's good to hear your up and running.

~b3nz0n8
post #65 of 510
Ok now I got my RH515 from dell refurbished, but from the pics on page 1 of this thread it seems like I am missing a connector. What I got is: pc board w/ a 2" wire and connector that is same on both ends. Am I missing anything?
post #66 of 510
So, does the Dell version have better program functionality than the Gyration non-LCD model? Specifically-

1. How many programmed commands can it accept? The Gryation brand can only hold 20 or so before it refuses to learn more.

2. Can you reassign the buttons when utilizing "PC" mode on the remote? The inability to control receiver volume when set to PC mode is frustrating.
post #67 of 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmp2002 View Post

Ok now I got my RH515 from dell refurbished, but from the pics on page 1 of this thread it seems like I am missing a connector. What I got is: pc board w/ a 2" wire and connector that is same on both ends. Am I missing anything?

You are missing nothing.
Split the unconnected end (each fiber should pull right out btw) then connect as follow:
RED & GREEN = BLACK

YELLOW = GREEN

WHITE = WHITE

BLACK = RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvarisco View Post

So, does the Dell version have better program functionality than the Gyration non-LCD model? Specifically-

1. How many programmed commands can it accept? The Gryation brand can only hold 20 or so before it refuses to learn more.

2. Can you reassign the buttons when utilizing "PC" mode on the remote? The inability to control receiver volume when set to PC mode is frustrating.

1. The Dell can only program one device from a limited list.
2. Nope.
post #68 of 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrumbx View Post

Ok, so what I am doing wrong here?

1. I hooked the receiver by creating a usb dongle (matching each color black/black white/white red/red and blue/blue).

2. I installed the Dell drivers.

3. The remote says "NO LINK" and "Out of range"

4. Using the connection button, I get "Connection unsuccessful"

Help?!

I'm having the same problem you did, however I made sure to wire it correctly. Wonder if one of the wire twists came undone while I was taping it. I just plug it in, install that dell driver (R142872.EXE) and hit that connect button right? I wired it to an old USB external header and it's just hanging off the side of the case right now. Also I'm testing this on XP Pro though I'll be using it on MCE 2005. I'm not at home right now though, I put it together at work. Would that matter? Thanks anyone.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just realized I had my brothers computer here (fixing it) and it's MCE2005. Works great
post #69 of 510
I finally got mine all hooked up and it's awesome. The gyration works better than I expected and it was easier to setup than I thought. I just sodered the wires together, plugged it in and installed the driver. Works great.
post #70 of 510
just got my remote from ebay and it wont turn on, is there a trick to turning this thing on?
I held down the power button, tapped it but no luck
post #71 of 510
is the light on the RH515 suppose to on when its connected to the computer? It came on once but now it wont turn on.
post #72 of 510
This project sounds really interesting and I definitely would like to try this out with my htpc.

I am using an ASUS P5W DH motherboard and I am sure it has an internal USB slot unused.

With the RH515 mod described in this thread, would I be able to just plug the modded RH515 in the internal USB header and expect it to connect with the remote ?

Will this connection be bluetooth based connection or some proprietary wireless ?
post #73 of 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuntaldaftary View Post

With the RH515 mod described in this thread, would I be able to just plug the modded RH515 in the internal USB header and expect it to connect with the remote ?

Yes, but if your case is enclosed metal, you may want to dangle it outside the case to get improved range. Having said that, my range is excellent with the thing... I haven't tested it over 20 feet away, but it works well from there for me (much better than the useless three feet that I get with the Logitech wave keyboard - anyone know of a wireless keyboard with 12-15 foot range?!).
I took the guts out of a broken mouse and put the RH515 in there. It's just sitting on the floor behind the desktop.
Quote:
Will this connection be bluetooth based connection or some proprietary wireless ?

It is a non-standard version of wireless USB. Wikipedia has a few more details.

HUGE kudo's to BENZONATE and the others that helped him figure this out. 1/2 of the buttons work right out of the box on my Ubuntu 8.04 Linux based mythtv box: mouse + arrows, ok/select, and numbers all work (Ubuntu considers it two devices: a keyboard and a mouse). Just have to figure out how to map the remaining ones (might require a newer kernel - support is just emerging for this remote). I'll post back when I know more.

And whomever did the wiring in the pics that BENZONATE posted deserves some pats on the back as well - very nice (re)work!

Marc

post #74 of 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrandtx View Post

Yes, but if your case is enclosed metal, you may want to dangle it outside the case to get improved range. Having said that, my range is excellent with the thing... I haven't tested it over 20 feet away, but it works well from there for me (much better than the useless three feet that I get with the Logitech wave keyboard -

thats great - i would be happy if i can get 10-15 ft. Placed the order for my parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrandtx View Post

anyone know of a wireless keyboard with 12-15 foot range?!).

Have you checked out the latest dinovo mini ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrandtx View Post

HUGE kudo's to BENZONATE and the others that helped him figure this out. 1/2 of the buttons work right out of the box on my Ubuntu 8.04 Linux based mythtv box: arrows, ok/select, and numbers all work (Ubuntu considers it two devices: a keyboard and a mouse). Just have to figure out how to map the remaining ones (might require a newer kernel - support is just emerging for this remote). I'll post back when I know more.

And whomever did the wiring in the pics that BENZONATE posted deserves some pats on the back as well - very nice work!

Amen to that !
post #75 of 510
All i can say is "this forum is A W E S O M E ! I bought the remote off of ebay for $10 and ordered the part from dell for $10. $10 + $10 + 15 min = Priceless remote! THANKS!
BY THE WAY, I found a link with all of the dell TV codes if anybody needs it. support.dell.com/support/edocs/acc/premrmt/en/index.htm
post #76 of 510
Thanks for all the help from in this thread. I stayed up till 3 am last night putting together the HTPC. The last touch before the case lid went back on was the dell chip. I ended up cutting off some parts off a old pc and soldering them onto the chip so I could just plug it into the internal usb pins.

Fired everything up installed the drivers, and nothing! I was waiving the remote in the air like a mad man, held it a couple of inches away, repositioned the sensor all over my case. Then I realized I never hit the connect button on the remote. Doh!! Thats what I get for staying up to late and inhaling solder fumes. It works now!
post #77 of 510
Thanks to everyone for the posts. Excellent work as well.

Feel free to post pics of your mods and links to additional support(thanks for the TV codes).

Has anyone had further success with universal remote functions?

Thanks in advance, b3nz0n8
post #78 of 510
I just got my gyration remote too..
post #79 of 510
I am thinking of hopping on this

I found the remote on ebay

but am tryign to confirm the reciever is this one through dell still valid? I grabbed it form the first page of this thread but it says it is a wireless network card.....

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...s=22&sku=RH515


if not any other places to get it for this cheap?
post #80 of 510
Do you think this process would work for an external case for the RH515?

http://www.tcnj.edu/~jones37/usb.html
post #81 of 510
I want to thank all the people involved in getting this to work.

Its a great HTPC remote for 25 bucks!

Also, I don't care for WMP so I used EventGhost To remap all my keys and it works great. with that program and a USBUIRT I can remap the RF and IR buttons any way I like.

Thanks again guys.
post #82 of 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by nintari View Post

I am thinking of hopping on this

I found the remote on ebay

but am tryign to confirm the reciever is this one through dell still valid? I grabbed it form the first page of this thread but it says it is a wireless network card.....

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...s=22&sku=RH515


if not any other places to get it for this cheap?

That is the correct one nintari.
post #83 of 510
Anyone have any ideas about an issue I am having with this; I have two PCs and it works perfectly on my Sony Vaio laptop but not on my home grown desktop. On the desktop, the remote works but the music menu stops working within a couple of minutes. Both machines are Windows Vista Ultimate. I don't see anything strange in the Event Log on the desktop. And the service seems to still be running, I just get the "No Service. Application Inactive" error message on the remote display. Right now, I'm using the same USB dongle I made to cut down on variables. Same result. Any suggestions? TIA
post #84 of 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraZtiK View Post

I want to thank all the people involved in getting this to work.

Its a great HTPC remote for 25 bucks!

Also, I don't care for WMP so I used EventGhost To remap all my keys and it works great. with that program and a USBUIRT I can remap the RF and IR buttons any way I like.

Thanks again guys.

DraZtiK,

Thanks for the heads up on EventGhost. Checking it out this weekend. Sounds promising

~b3nz0n8
post #85 of 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat6 View Post

Anyone have any ideas about an issue I am having with this; I have two PCs and it works perfectly on my Sony Vaio laptop but not on my home grown desktop. On the desktop, the remote works but the music menu stops working within a couple of minutes. Both machines are Windows Vista Ultimate. I don't see anything strange in the Event Log on the desktop. And the service seems to still be running, I just get the "No Service. Application Inactive" error message on the remote display. Right now, I'm using the same USB dongle I made to cut down on variables. Same result. Any suggestions? TIA

Issues with metadata?

Sounds like a power state change(setting) in Vista Ultimate that is allowing your metadata to drop. Is this loss at random or isolated to a specific timeframe, prior to losing the metadata? All software versions current, updates installed? Interesting issue, I'll look at one of my Ultimate machines and see if I can replicate.

~b3nz0n8
post #86 of 510
Seems to happen randomly. Everything is patched up to the latest versions on both PCs.
post #87 of 510
1. Hi guys, can you tell me if this remote can wake up my computer from sleep or hibernation? If not, do you know any gyroscopic remote which does so?
2. It seems the remote becomes rare on ebay... any other 10-15$ shopping idea?

Thanks.
post #88 of 510
I am having a funky problem, when I hit the music button on the top of the remote I get the menu options then when I click on anything, I loose the remote and it says application in active use tray tray icon to enable. Then the rest of the remote wont do anthing except the mouse buttons. Any ideas?
post #89 of 510
i think i missed out on this one too.

remotes are 20 now on ebay
post #90 of 510
Chepnut, sounds like we are having the same problem. The remote functions normally again after the display times out (the icon goes away of the screen.) I'm curious, what are the specifics of your system?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Dell M2010 Remote