or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Home Entertainment & Theater Builder › General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms › CuznEddy Cinema Project Begins
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

CuznEddy Cinema Project Begins - Page 48

post #1411 of 1618
Oh, my what a derailment this has started. Whew! I'm not so sure about those "Midwestern" girls. I have heard of "Corn Fed" but that is taking it to the next level. As for being the "Little Guy" well if you ever meet me you'll see, I have been called many things but "Little Guy" is not one of them. LOL I can only imagine how much fun we would have getting together. It would be a blast for sure!

Too Funny.

Regards,

RTROSE
post #1412 of 1618
ROAD TRIP!!!



I'm in!
post #1413 of 1618
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

... LOL I can only imagine how much fun we would have getting together. It would be a blast for sure! ...

+1 We need more here in the Midwest. I've had so much fun meeting other HT people from all over, but it seems we don't have much here... I'd look forward to meeting many of you in person, always a great time!

Hope it happens!
post #1414 of 1618
Thread Starter 
At this point, I'm thinking April .. ?
post #1415 of 1618
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iusteve View Post

Oh goody I will bring the "Midwestern" girls.............



Also thought i'd post a picture of the last excursion Brad, myself and RT took..................



In case you wondered RT is the little guy on the left

Iusteve,
The brave gentlemen in the bottom photo are invited and are MOST welcome. However the top photo is also one way to get "disinvited"
post #1416 of 1618
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

At this point, I'm thinking April .. ?

April I'll be in CO looking at real estate.... I don't want to miss the only IL event in years!
post #1417 of 1618
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

Iusteve,
The brave gentlemen in the bottom photo are invited and are MOST welcome.

I'm going to have to scour for business related conferences around that time in Chicago...
post #1418 of 1618
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanesian View Post

ROAD TRIP!!!



I'm in!

Cool. Pick me up on your way through Milwaukee.
post #1419 of 1618
Thread Starter 
jayn_j,

Assuming this comes together your welcome to join!
post #1420 of 1618
Thread Starter 
Started a separate thread for my next winter project; a low profile/low voltage/lighted poster box, lots of alternative suggestions and inputs located here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post21630406
post #1421 of 1618
Thread Starter 
So here's the results of my first day's work:

While at my local mill-work shop picking out my hardwood trim I spotted this 1.5" thick particle board stair tread riser (perfect thickness to accommodate the depth of my light-box, and was cheap). Ripped it to the appropriate width and away we go.
This thing has to be as square as possible.


Here's what I decided for the frame profile, two different styles of Oak trim glued up as shown here


And with the Spotlight frame positioned (not yet sure if I will be going gold or black). Gold may be a bit overpowering, where the black might look like a matting surrounding the poster:
post #1422 of 1618
Looks promising. How do you plan to trim out the outside edges?
post #1423 of 1618
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayn_j View Post

Looks promising. How do you plan to trim out the outside edges?

Will likely go with a band of Oak Veneer trim
post #1424 of 1618
Thread Starter 
Another update: Got a chance to install the LED strip lights, here it is with 3 strips (900 Leds), of the intended 4.



And with 3 (of 4) illuminated:



My fourth string was added temporarily for this proof photo (unfortunately it is temporary, because it is the warm color instead of bright white, need to place another order).

If you look closely you will see a faint border just inside the frame edges. This faint border is the outline of my "undersized/temporary" diffusor panel. These LED strips are really intense (as opposed to the rope style). Therefore; it will be necessary to add a cheap diffusor panel against the backside of the artwork.
post #1425 of 1618
I am impressed. I need to look into replacing the rope with these strips.
post #1426 of 1618
nice work.... you should crank out a few more not that the jigs are built lol
post #1427 of 1618
Thread Starter 
I was worried that they might be hard to work with. However; they are all pre-attached to a very sticky 3M backing tape, and were flexible enough to make the u-turns at the end of the box. The 4th strip (warm color - temporary), was used to finish off the upper right corner, I then ran it around the inside perimeter of the frame.

What you see in the photo is spaced on 1.5" centers. If I were to do it over I would go with a 1" or 1.25" spacing in order to squeeze all 4 strips directly onto the backer board, skipping doing the perimeter.

As for powering them, my little 2amp switching supply is doing the job, but after several hours was a bit warmer than I would like (might have to located a higher output PS)
post #1428 of 1618
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboniman View Post

nice work.... you should crank out a few more not that the jigs are built lol

Thanks! 3 is the sweet spot for cost, A 4x8 sheet of stock would allow for 3 units with minimal waste (ie. the thick frame of particle board, and for a diffuser panel).

However; This will likely be a one off (collectible), just like the SVS pub-table
post #1429 of 1618
Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboniman View Post

nice work.... you should crank out a few more not that the jigs are built lol

I agree... A new company is born!
post #1430 of 1618
Craig,

The lighted poster box is the fa shizzle my nizzle dude very nice! I'm with Warren here. I think a LLC is in your future. Who knows you could be the Mark Zuckerberg of the poster box world.

Can't wait to see the finished product.

Regards,

RTROSE
post #1431 of 1618
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

Craig,

Mark Zuckerberg of the poster box world.Can't wait to see the finished product.
RTROSE

Thanks RT
Yikes! I wasn't scared till now!!
post #1432 of 1618
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

... Who knows you could be the Mark Zuckerberg of the poster box world.
...

Does that make us the guys who will jealously sue later?
post #1433 of 1618
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenP View Post

Does that make us the guys who will jealously sue later?

I'm game if you are. Does this mean we're twins?

Regards,

RTROSE
post #1434 of 1618
Thread Starter 
Wow - Take one week off for business trip, return home sick, one week to recoup, and found out this thread "free-fell" to page 4. Actually not to tease; but I'm within one week of posting my lighted poster-box, ticket-window "finished photos"
post #1435 of 1618
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

Wow - Take one week off for business trip, return home sick, one week to recoup, and found out this thread "free-fell" to page 4. Actually not to tease; but I'm within one week of posting my lighted poster-box, ticket-window "finished photos"

Tick, tick, tick, tick...
post #1436 of 1618
^^^^^Oh, SNAP! Queen is calling you out Craig!

Regards,

RTROSE
post #1437 of 1618
Thread Starter 
Queen/RT,

Thanks you both for holding me to a "proof of progress" update. I am sorting out my best photos now, and will post soon, I promise.....
post #1438 of 1618
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

Another update: Got a chance to install the LED strip lights, here it is with 3 strips (900 Leds), of the intended 4.



And with 3 (of 4) illuminated:



My fourth string was added temporarily for this proof photo (unfortunately it is temporary, because it is the warm color instead of bright white, need to place another order).

If you look closely you will see a faint border just inside the frame edges. This faint border is the outline of my "undersized/temporary" diffusor panel. These LED strips are really intense (as opposed to the rope style). Therefore; it will be necessary to add a cheap diffusor panel against the backside of the artwork.

OK that was a refresher (my last progress update). The very next posts will show the 2nd half of the story
post #1439 of 1618
Thread Starter 
So you may recall I chose to go from 3 strings and 900 Leds, to 4 strings (1200 total).
Here is the result with 4 strings:


I then added a hidden switch to the underside edge, lower RH corner.
The apparatus I cobbled together as a feed thru thru the frame:






Next up was to obtain a proper diffusor. The spotlight frame comes with 2 thin plastic sheets that you sandwich the poster between. For my diffusor I substituted the back clear sheet with a 1/16" thick sheet of white acrylic material:


Here's the illumination with and w/o the diffusor:


A few shadows from the internal wiring - these shadows seem to disappear when a poster in in place


Before showing the final result mounted on the wall, this is my landing before:


And afterwards:




Probably about the darkest poster that I will ever display


And with a lighter color poster:


And this is still a work in progress. Pretty sure that "ChinaDog" was the one who did the original ticketbooth artwork. I had a friend photoshop/merge a photo into the ticket booth. Consider this version 1 (it's washed out) until I find the perfect stock to print version 2 onto.
post #1440 of 1618
Man that turned out AWESOME! Nicely done. I think going with the 1200 LED's vs. the 900 was a very wise choice. I don't think it would have had the same effect otherwise.

You should be very proud of your efforts.

Regards,

RTROSE
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Home Entertainment & Theater Builder › General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms › CuznEddy Cinema Project Begins