or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › House of Flying Daggers -Re-master?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

House of Flying Daggers -Re-master?

post #1 of 193
Thread Starter 
The September issue of THE PERFECT VISION makes reference to a re-mastered edition of the Blu-Ray of HOUSE OF FLYING DAGGERS. In discussion of FIFTH ELEMENT in an article titled "Blu-ray Discs to Die For on page 76 the following is stated "Apparently other titles have been redone as well, including the gorgeous new transfer of House of Flying Daggers, also roundly trounced along with other first Sony masterings."

Can anyone confirm this and other possible Sony re-masterings and how to identify the new product?

PS

I did not find other thread on this subject......if one exists please link to it.
post #2 of 193
Last word from one of our BD insider was it was not going to happen. This is a source issue and there are no plans at this time.
post #3 of 193
Yup, the source really is piss poor which is really sad because it's such a beautiful film.

From DVDBeaver:
"For House of Flying Daggers, they went from film (first generation) into the computer (second generation @ 2k resolution loss), back to film (third generation) and then, back into the computer (fourth generation) for final digital master for DVD, etc."
post #4 of 193
Given the poor master, can a different encode, using a different codec, bitrate and care can just possibly yield a better result to what we have?
post #5 of 193
Why couldn't they resource the master from a decent film? This wasn't exactly a rare film and I can't imagine that there isn't a decent copy lying around somewhere...
post #6 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilian.ca View Post

Given the poor master, can a different encode, using a different codec, bitrate and care can just possibly yield a better result to what we have?

It would likely yield the same result.
post #7 of 193
Too bad. It would have made good eye candy. Otoh, I feel Memoirs of a Geisha has even better eye candy. (Scenery, colorful costumes).
post #8 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by xradman View Post

Why couldn't they resource the master from a decent film? This wasn't exactly a rare film and I can't imagine that there isn't a decent copy lying around somewhere...

Hellooooo! Seriously, why don't they do this?! I want a good version of this movie on BD/high-def so bad.

I guess it is cost. Creating a new master devoid of defects may equal the same time and money that releasing 3 other catalog titles "normally" in high-def, might cost. Or something.

Hopefully, they do it though! *prays*
-
post #9 of 193
The best dvd version is fair at best. We can hope for a better BD version, but that light at the end of the tunnel is pretty dim.
post #10 of 193
I just want an uncut BD.
post #11 of 193
I don't understand why the current BR is blurry like 480p SD. Even if it was mastered from a negative from the 2K DI it should have quite some more detail unless the film was shot soft focus throughout and all the processing steps were suboptimal losing a lot of detail from step to step. This is the blurriest HD I have ever seen of a major motion picture shot on 35mm. I can't believe the DI looks anywhere close to this. There is no 35mm detail whatsoever.
post #12 of 193
mhafner is right

I don't buy this crap. Look at all the speculation regarding the Infernal Affairs masters. It still looks great in HD. Sony definitely FUBARed the encode and will most likely do a re-release IMO.
post #13 of 193
I don't know if this one can be blamed on Sony. All of the DVD versions look average at best. It doesn't matter if it's the Japanese, Korean or American version; they all look average. Just check out DVD Beaver. It's a damn shame, since it's a good movie with an amazing PCM track.
post #14 of 193
That doesn't excuse the poor encoding and mastering. I'd even go so far as to contact the director rather than the Chinese film company and see how he can hook Sony up with the best source material... uncut, of course.

Luckily, I have the uncut DVD with a very weird DTS-ES 6.1 mix. It's almost like most of the front information is in the surrounds too! It would be nice to have a 6.1 or new 7.1, 24 bit PCM or TrueHD track.
post #15 of 193
Has this been released in other parts of R1??
Japan, Korea, etc??
If so, I wonder if the same master is used....
post #16 of 193
I've posted this before, and the info has been up on that site for a very long time, but I sincerely hope that this will be the uncut version (and unless it's some kind of Director's Cut what else could it be?) and that we will see a BD release whenever the DVD is released.
post #17 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by joekun View Post

I've posted this before, and the info has been up on that site for a very long time, but I sincerely hope that this will be the uncut version (and unless it's some kind of Director's Cut what else could it be?) and that we will see a BD release whenever the DVD is released.

That's interesting because as far as I know even EDKO don't have an extended cut of hofd. I wish they had of released the extended cut of fearless in High Def. It was far superior to the theatrical.
post #18 of 193
The fact that its at the very bottom of the Tier List, has stopped me from buying it.
post #19 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by momaw View Post

That's interesting because as far as I know even EDKO don't have an extended cut of hofd.

The American DVD and Blu-ray releases of House of Flying Daggers were trimmed to secure a PG-13 rating. The foreign DVD editions are uncut. A list of the differences can be found here:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=15518
post #20 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teepanen View Post

The fact that its at the very bottom of the Tier List, has stopped me from buying it.

supposedly best buy has it on sale for $13.99. for that price it's worth a purchase for the tier 0 audio alone.
post #21 of 193
This is a shame. Every one of the initial titles should be remastered.
post #22 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by joekun View Post

I just want an uncut BD.

I haven't posted here for a long time, but I can't help telling you "if you want to laugh out loud how idiot the movie is, then watch the uncut version". The overseas version is better actually because some silly scenes are cut out after they hear the laughter in (chinese) theaters.
post #23 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

The American DVD and Blu-ray releases of House of Flying Daggers were trimmed to secure a PG-13 rating. The foreign DVD editions are uncut. A list of the differences can be found here:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=15518

"uncut" is not the same as "extended"
post #24 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teepanen View Post

The fact that its at the very bottom of the Tier List, has stopped me from buying it.

Why? It's the best PQ available for HoFD and the PCM soundtrack is awesome. Who really cares what "Tier" it is. I have never, ever decided what BR or HD DVD I purchased based on the Tier threads.
post #25 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawg131 View Post

Why? It's the best PQ available for HoFD and the PCM soundtrack is awesome. Who really cares what "Tier" it is. I have never, ever decided what BR or HD DVD I purchased based on the Tier threads.

Agreed.
When the film was released, many fell in love with the visuals.
On optical media, this movie should be pure eye-candy.
Unfortunately, the BD PQ doesn't do the film justice.
Fans of the film were hoping for more...
post #26 of 193
Content first, quality second. Fine movie, picture quality while poor, did not prevent me from enjoying the content. Surely if all movies were like House of Flying Daggers, I'd be pissed, but since most others are superb, I can live with one dud in my collection.

If Sony did improve upon it, and offered an exchange program like the fifth element, sure I'd be all over it! But if they don't, I'm not going to be sour.
post #27 of 193
Quote:


I haven't posted here for a long time, but I can't help telling you "if you want to laugh out loud how idiot the movie is, then watch the uncut version". The overseas version is better actually because some silly scenes are cut out after they hear the laughter in (chinese) theaters.

Um, yeah, right, whatever. It is known that blood was removed from the U.S. version to get a PG-13, they were minor edits, nothing on the scale of what you describe. I have the Edko R3 DVD.

Obviously American audiences have different tastes than Chinese audiences. Just look at "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon".
post #28 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by xradman View Post

Why couldn't they resource the master from a decent film? This wasn't exactly a rare film and I can't imagine that there isn't a decent copy lying around somewhere...

+1
post #29 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by xradman View Post

Why couldn't they resource the master from a decent film? This wasn't exactly a rare film and I can't imagine that there isn't a decent copy lying around somewhere...

Here is your answer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by paidgeek View Post

This title was acquired as a finished product. SPE / Sony Classics do not have the assets to re-transfer it.
post #30 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota81 View Post

Content first, quality second. Fine movie, picture quality while poor, did not prevent me from enjoying the content.

That's my view too, same with music.

I just wonder: if there's a Korean uncut version of Kung Fu Hustle, why isn't there one for HOFD too?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Software
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › House of Flying Daggers -Re-master?