or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Home Entertainment & Theater Builder › Dedicated Theater Design & Construction › The Arthouse" (fomerly "The Grindhouse") - Planning and Construction Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Arthouse" (fomerly "The Grindhouse") - Planning and Construction Thread - Page 2

post #31 of 288
coming along nicely friend
post #32 of 288
Just remember that isolation is not only to keep sound from getting out - but more importantly to keep sound from getting IN from a performance perspective.

Bryan
post #33 of 288
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpape View Post

Just remember that isolation is not only to keep sound from getting out - but more importantly to keep sound from getting IN from a performance perspective.

Bryan

can you elaborate on that? Not sure what you mean by "performance". thanks
post #34 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsprance View Post

can you elaborate on that? Not sure what you mean by "performance". thanks

Keeping sound out of your room is important.....

Think of your dishwasher, washer, dryer, furnace, traffic, airplanes, etc....

If that sound gets in your room, you will find it hard to set the volume and forget about it. I know I chase the volume in my living room all the time thanks to the dishwasher and furnace. The best audio setup cannot overcome sounds that get into your room.

Your sound will be that much better if you keep those sounds out of the room.
post #35 of 288
It's looking great so far...
post #36 of 288
Your theater is coming along very nicely. Look forward to seeing it come together.

The renderings are great, what did you use to make those.
post #37 of 288
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by malbo1 View Post

Your theater is coming along very nicely. Look forward to seeing it come together.

The renderings are great, what did you use to make those.

Google Sketch-Up. Free and easy to use.
post #38 of 288
Thread Starter 
It's been a few weeks since I posted some photos for an update but I've been working every day / night since. The projector and seats have already arrived so I am even more determined to get this thing done by Christmas.

I just put the first coat of mud on (mudding sucks, by the way) and I will start building the riser by next weekend. Here's the latest pics.



Screen wall and equipment opening with drywall up. You can see the GrafikEye box between the column and entry door. Pet gate for the cat not part of the design



And another with speaker columns and center channel opening in soffit...



Reshaped window opening, new wall sconce boxes and projector opening in soffit



You can see the surround speaker cable drops and the duct that will be opened up to create an additional floor register on the riser.



Sealed up window with sconce box before....



And after....


That's it for now. More pics to follow after the riser gets started.
post #39 of 288
Thread Starter 
one more of the first coat mudded screen wall

post #40 of 288
Definately coming along. Keep up the good work. I may very well join the DIY Theater ranks soon myself.
post #41 of 288
Looking great! I just finished a shoestring conversion of my basement room into a theater and here's my 2cents. Dont skimp on pulling wires to locations that will be inaccessible after you finish. The cost of the wiring/cable, etc. is realtively cheap (monoprice.com) so overestimate. Maybe buy a roll or Cat 6 wire and run 4-5 of it everywhere. Sounds like overkill i am sure but its very cheap and may save messiness later on.

Also, the more indirect the lighting the better. I have a cove light (rope light hidden in a molding) running around the room and it made the room. I think yo uare doing that too.

Keep it up! Get ready for the first movie you want to watch....
post #42 of 288
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by windrockwater View Post

Looking great! I just finished a shoestring conversion of my basement room into a theater and here's my 2cents. Dont skimp on pulling wires to locations that will be inaccessible after you finish. The cost of the wiring/cable, etc. is realtively cheap (monoprice.com) so overestimate. Maybe buy a roll or Cat 6 wire and run 4-5 of it everywhere. Sounds like overkill i am sure but its very cheap and may save messiness later on.

Also, the more indirect the lighting the better. I have a cove light (rope light hidden in a molding) running around the room and it made the room. I think yo uare doing that too.

Keep it up! Get ready for the first movie you want to watch....

Thanks! I ran Cat 6 already, as well as phone cabling. The cove lighting will definitely get done by putting some crown molding on the bottom of the soffit to act as a rope light tray.

You are right about monoprice. They are flat out amazing.

Thanks for all the comments!
post #43 of 288
Thread Starter 
Just updated the renderings in the original post and added some "before" pics and immediate post demo pics to better reflect what things will look like after all the design changes.
post #44 of 288
Thread Starter 
Got the riser built this weekend.

10' 11" W x 1' H x 6' D
Steps on either side 22" wide
Power outlet for Berkline 088 recliners in the front row

Used all 2x12's except for a few of the step bracing pieces.


Here's the pics:




Put down roofer's felt and tapped into the air vent from the other room for additional heat/AC







Assembled the step sections first to make sure measurements line up in the middle.
post #45 of 288
Thread Starter 

Put everything in place to be sure it all works befor screwing it together









Used adjustable outlet box for carpet depth

post #46 of 288
Thread Starter 
All done. Filled with insulation as it is a 2nd floor build and sand would be way too heavy. I was going to put the top plywood on tonight but my back disagreed with that plan.





More next time...
post #47 of 288
Thread Starter 
One more... a little blurry but you get the idea

post #48 of 288
coming along nicely
post #49 of 288
Nice work man... You guys make this stuff look so easy.... Except that I get all inspired and then don't know here to start... I have a small room 15'4"L x 11'3W " x8'H that I want to turn into a Dedicated Theater room...
post #50 of 288
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by smullen View Post

Nice work man... You guys make this stuff look so easy.... Except that I get all inspired and then don't know here to start... I have a small room 15'4"L x 11'3W " x8'H that I want to turn into a Dedicated Theater room...

Thanks. Trust me I thought the same thing until I tried it myself. There are so many resources and helpful people here that will help you any time a question comes up. Just plan ahead, plan some more, plan even more then give it a shot.
post #51 of 288
Thread Starter 
Had the flu most of these week so not much done except the completion of the riser. Still, feels good to get this part done!

The slight curve you see is from my digital camera's wide angle lens













post #52 of 288
Wow! Nice work. I know you are glad to have the drywall work behind you. Keep the pics coming.
post #53 of 288
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbgonzomd View Post

Wow! Nice work. I know you are glad to have the drywall work behind you. Keep the pics coming.

You have no idea!
post #54 of 288
This is looking great! Nice job on the riser.
post #55 of 288
Thread Starter 
First coat of primer is up. Seriously considering a sprayer since overspray is not really a big deal in this room yet. Sorry for the blur I took them quick in some dark light.











post #56 of 288
Thread Starter 
1st coat of flat black paint is up on the screen wall and ceiling. As the paint is now dark it looks like I will need to come up with a better way to take pics in a darkened room until i get all the lights in.







Much more black paint to go! I think I am going to do the walls eggshell back since they will be covered with the panels mostly anyway. The installation of the panels will scuff the walls much less.
post #57 of 288
you are flying now
post #58 of 288
its really coming out nice.. good work.. if u keep it up u may make Christmas.. or at least new years!!..
post #59 of 288
Thread Starter 
I'm curious, i was told to line the inside comun walls with OC 703, but should i wrap it in fabric first?
post #60 of 288
Thread Starter 
Got all the black painting finished and started hanging the cleats for the wood panels. Got the cleats from a company called "panelclip". They were relatively cheap and I was able to get them in custom sizes. I wish I could get these pictures better but I have to look into the cameras low light mode.












I also tested a stain on some birchwood and found exactly the color I was hoping for with the wood panels and soffit. I used a "Natural Cherry" stain from Minwax. This will be the wood stain of choice. The test piece contrasts nicely against the black. This and the light suede fabric panels will give the room the exact look I was hoping for in the renderings.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Home Entertainment & Theater Builder › Dedicated Theater Design & Construction › The Arthouse" (fomerly "The Grindhouse") - Planning and Construction Thread