or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Good Amp for Anthem Statement D2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Good Amp for Anthem Statement D2

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
Anyone have any thoughts on an update from the Anthem A5 to go with my D2? Considering the P5 but I thought I would get some opinions from other Anthem D2 owners out there. I'm using M&K S150/SS150 4ohm speakers. Power handling 25-400 watt.

Tony
post #2 of 20
music or movies percentage split? room size ? budget ? preference for colder or warmer sound, or mellow vs bright?

-Gary
post #3 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Murrell View Post

music or movies percentage split? room size ? budget ? preference for colder or warmer sound, or mellow vs bright?

-Gary

Good questions.. Mostly moves about 75%, 20% live dvd concerts, multi channel audio) Room is 12x20 speakers are mounted on the short wall. Mayeb on the warmer side.. not looking for something too bright but appropriate for movies and concerts. The concerts are mostly Dream Theater, Led Zep, Rush, 3 Doors Down.. some jazz.. etc.. Budget is about $2500-$3000
post #4 of 20
maybe a Adcom GFA-780X (x being a 5 or 7)

-Gary
post #5 of 20
Thread Starter 
Maybe.. thinking of something a little more high end.. maybe mono blocks. anyone have other thoughts for a good mate for the D2? I willing to spend up to 3k.
post #6 of 20
Audiogon will get you there....

Used: Proceed, Bryston, Halo, BC, maybe even Halcro and Levinson
post #7 of 20
I got my a5 and A2 about 6 weeks ago. Love them, for all types of music and movies. I thought of just doing the A5 to save money and add the A2 later. Then make the A2 the front and left chanel. Great sound and good to be back to components.
post #8 of 20
CARY,Cary,Cary......Very sweet amps


Djoel
post #9 of 20
I have been extremely happy with my NAD M25. $3k. A brickhouse amp. 7 channels. Sounds wonderful.

http://www.adnm.com/pdfs/nad_m25.pdf

Rick
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

Maybe.. thinking of something a little more high end.. maybe mono blocks. anyone have other thoughts for a good mate for the D2? I willing to spend up to 3k.

Do you mean a Monoblock design or Monoblocks (as One amp per enclosure?) you could get a new Sunfire TGA-7200 (400Wx7 @ 4OHMS) and ballanced connecters. if you want something more you will need to pay alot more money. You may be able to get a pair of used Classe 200w/400w Monoblocks for a little more money on audiogon?

Have listen to any amps, what do you like.

Also, aren’t you concerned about MK going out of business, where can you get replacement parts for the 150's, should you think about selling them?
post #11 of 20
Thread Starter 
I checked out the Sunfire.. I was concerned with that facy it's a class D amp. I was thinkg seperate enclosers.. maybe I should care that it's class D. I heard the Bel Canto and NuForce 9v2 are supposed to be great amps but I haven't heard them as of yet.

As for M&K, not much I can do about them being out of business. They are a great sounding speaker. I may look into selling them at some point but then again, what would I replace them with...
post #12 of 20
Thread Starter 
I heard the NAD was top notch. Only problem I had with it is it doesn't have balanced inputs and I'm not sure what the 340watt dynamic power at 4ohms is all about.
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

I checked out the Sunfire.. I was concerned with that facy it's a class D amp. I was thinkg seperate enclosers.. maybe I should care that it's class D. I heard the Bel Canto and NuForce 9v2 are supposed to be great amps but I haven't heard them as of yet.

As for M&K, not much I can do about them being out of business. They are a great sounding speaker. I may look into selling them at some point but then again, what would I replace them with...

I don't know why people call it a Class D Amp, it is Class AB amp. I was conserned when they came out with the new version, it is still AB.
post #14 of 20
Thread Starter 
This is part of a review of the sunfire...
Another thing we save is energy. The Cinema Grand Signature uses a digital switching power supply (Class D), courtesy of Bob's Tracking Downconverter. This circuit maintains the rail voltage just 6 volts above the signal demands, and that makes the power supply very efficient . .
post #15 of 20
Go ICEpower, with a D-Sonic multi-channel amp you can can get anywhere from 250w to 1000w @ 4ohm in mono-block modules. Scroll down to the Magnum 2500-7

http://www.d-sonic.net/

I second the NAD M25 (I own one) sweet amp but likely not as much of an improvement over the A5 as the ICEpower modules - these things sound great and just have that sense of absolute limitless power. (I had the 1000w and 500w ones.)
post #16 of 20
I'll put The Emotiva MPS-1 into the conversation. Build quality second to none. Sounds fantastic. Great customer service. Unbelievable price.
post #17 of 20
Thread Starter 
Had? what made you get rid of the d-sonics? I haven't seen any reviews on these.. anyone else own these and using them for home theater?
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

Had? what made you get rid of the d-sonics? I haven't seen any reviews on these.. anyone else own these and using them for home theater?

The ICEpower modules are used by many amp manufacturers; Bel-Canto, Jeff Rowland, Rotell and PS Audio amongst others. The modules are "plug and play" and are made by Bang & Olufsen, all they require are connectors, chassis and AC power.

I had three ICEpower amps; two dual monos and one mono in chassis assembled by Bertrams Audio in Denmark. I swapped them out to go to a multi channel amp because of space constraints. Had I known of D-Sonic when I made that change I would have gone that route. The only other ICEpower multichannel amp that I knew of at the time was the PS Audio GCA models and they were double or triple the price depending on which modules they used.

Here's some reviews of amps using these modules;

http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatur.../icepower.html

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/eone2/1000_2.html

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/jjaz/jjaz.html

http://stereophile.com/musicintheround/1106mitr/
post #19 of 20
Thread Starter 
So I think I'm down to these amps. Please give me your thoughts on these..

Parasound A51
Cary Cinema 5
Bryston 6BSST
Bel Canto Ref1000 (3 mono blocks)

comments?
post #20 of 20
Are the modules the same regardless of manufacturer of the amp? Any actual reviews of the D-Sonic multi channel amplfiers? I'm definitely intrigued, but without any way to make comparison to known amplifiers, its very hard to evaluate.

John


Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrgagne View Post

The ICEpower modules are used by many amp manufacturers; Bel-Canto, Jeff Rowland, Rotell and PS Audio amongst others. The modules are "plug and play" and are made by Bang & Olufsen, all they require are connectors, chassis and AC power.

I had three ICEpower amps; two dual monos and one mono in chassis assembled by Bertrams Audio in Denmark. I swapped them out to go to a multi channel amp because of space constraints. Had I known of D-Sonic when I made that change I would have gone that route. The only other ICEpower multichannel amp that I knew of at the time was the PS Audio GCA models and they were double or triple the price depending on which modules they used.

Here's some reviews of amps using these modules;

http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatur.../icepower.html

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/eone2/1000_2.html

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/jjaz/jjaz.html

http://stereophile.com/musicintheround/1106mitr/
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Good Amp for Anthem Statement D2