or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › Official Mitsubishi WD XX833 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Mitsubishi WD XX833 Owners Thread - Page 7

post #181 of 3509
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrussell View Post

Enter the Service Menu at your own risk.


- Press "menu"
- While on the menu screen press 2 4 5 7 wait 2 seconds then press 0
- You'll see 5 menu selections at the top of the screen
- Arrow down to "MANUAL KEYSTONE GEOMETRY ALIGNMENT" and press the "enter" button
- You will come to a black screen with overscan lines around the perimeter and two vertical lines at the 4:3 bar location
- Seeing this screen, you'll probably want to adjust the perimeter also which is the first part of these instructions. If not, read on through to the end which will get you to the 4:3 bar adjustment.
- There are adjustment points along the perimeter ("+" marks)
- The first point you're at when you arrive to the screen is the upper left corner
- Adjust that point (if needed) by pressing the up/down/left/right arrow keys in the direction you need that point to move to straighten any irregularities there. You won't see any of the lines move at this point, just the "+" pointer.
- You access the "+" points in a clockwise direction from the starting point by pressing "fast forward" (to the right of "play") on the remote to move to the next adjustment point. Adjust the pointer at the next point if needed in the same manner (up,down,left right) then on to the next point.
- "Fast Rewind" will move you backwards, point to point, headed back to the starting point.
- Since you don't see the results of your adjustments onscreen, you'll have to press "enter" which will return you to the Geometry menu screen, then "enter" again to get you back to the adjustment screen. Then you'll see the results. You'll be going back and forth like this quite a few times. NOTE: If you make an adjustment on a point and press "enter", that adjustment won't take. Make sure before you "enter" out to the menu, that you fast forward or rewind to the next point first.

- To adjust the two 4:3 vertical bars, "fast forward" all the way around to the starting point. Once there, you'll be in the 4:3 bar adjustment mode. The next "fast forward" press will make both 4:3 lines move. Just keep pressing "fast forward / rewind" until you get the bars straight as possible. Press "enter" to get back to the menu screen. If you are finished, press "exit".

Thank you for such detailed instructions.
post #182 of 3509
Ive heard thinner, most definately, Geometry perfect, probally ,Better picture quality...not likely in the first generation anyways.

A couple mits dealers I have spoke with have stated they have seen one and was not blown away by what they saw in the prototype. Take it for what its worth. I thought maybe I could wait too but, I forsee a major hike in price on these. Time will tell
post #183 of 3509
Picked up the 65833 yesterday, and all I can say is WOW. I had a 3 year old 46 Sammy DLP, and this thing blows it away. Once you set up properly. When I first turned it on. Boy did it look bad bad bad. The NFL game last night was so Pixilated. Turned it to Natural and turned on 120 Hz. And still looked crappy. Then I went to the HT guys settings for last years Diamond 65831 and boy did that make the TV SHINE!!!! I still think the colors might be alittle off for my viewing conditions, I will pop in the DVE disk in either tonight or Sat moring, and get my own calibration, for my room. But so far great TV. Also set up the Harmony 880 remote, works like a champ, once you get the inputs changing properly. Hopefully I can take pics this weekend.
post #184 of 3509
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrussell View Post

Enter the Service Menu at your own risk.


- Press "menu"
- While on the menu screen press 2 4 5 7 wait 2 seconds then press 0
- You'll see 5 menu selections at the top of the screen
- Arrow down to "MANUAL KEYSTONE GEOMETRY ALIGNMENT" and press the "enter" button
- You will come to a black screen with overscan lines around the perimeter and two vertical lines at the 4:3 bar location
- Seeing this screen, you'll probably want to adjust the perimeter also which is the first part of these instructions. If not, read on through to the end which will get you to the 4:3 bar adjustment.
- There are adjustment points along the perimeter ("+" marks)
- The first point you're at when you arrive to the screen is the upper left corner
- Adjust that point (if needed) by pressing the up/down/left/right arrow keys in the direction you need that point to move to straighten any irregularities there. You won't see any of the lines move at this point, just the "+" pointer.
- You access the "+" points in a clockwise direction from the starting point by pressing "fast forward" (to the right of "play") on the remote to move to the next adjustment point. Adjust the pointer at the next point if needed in the same manner (up,down,left right) then on to the next point.
- "Fast Rewind" will move you backwards, point to point, headed back to the starting point.
- Since you don't see the results of your adjustments onscreen, you'll have to press "enter" which will return you to the Geometry menu screen, then "enter" again to get you back to the adjustment screen. Then you'll see the results. You'll be going back and forth like this quite a few times. NOTE: If you make an adjustment on a point and press "enter", that adjustment won't take. Make sure before you "enter" out to the menu, that you fast forward or rewind to the next point first.

- To adjust the two 4:3 vertical bars, "fast forward" all the way around to the starting point. Once there, you'll be in the 4:3 bar adjustment mode. The next "fast forward" press will make both 4:3 lines move. Just keep pressing "fast forward / rewind" until you get the bars straight as possible. Press "enter" to get back to the menu screen. If you are finished, press "exit".

You have forgotten the "INFO" button which actually makes the calculation.
post #185 of 3509
Can you explain how to use the INFO key?
post #186 of 3509
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodkalm81 View Post

bad. The NFL game last night was so Pixilated. Turned it to Natural and turned on 120 Hz. And still looked crappy. Then I went to the HT guys settings for last years Diamond 65831 and boy did that make the TV SHINE!!!!

I have to say that its not the television's fault for the game being pixelated. I own a sony kds60a2020 and have been looking to also get the mitsu 65833 and I must say there was pixelation on the Sony as well throughout the broadcast of the game.

It is a source related problem but you can minimize the effect with your settings. I can notice the pixelations on my set, but the sony's pq is on the smooth side so its not that bad.

I had the mitsu 65733 and to me the pq was too sharp and the pixelations were more obvious.
post #187 of 3509
If I hooked up hdmi direct to the tv than would I have to hook up an optical cable to the receiver for the sound to work right?
Thanks, Jeff
post #188 of 3509
Dodkalm81.
Hi:
I am about to order the 73833. I already have a 65807 that is 7 years old. I have been delaying thsi order, because I do not have a place to put the old one.
Thanks for informing every one about your viewing experience.
Please spend more time with this unit and post more detailed setting for the picture tweaking.
I think the 833 this year will not be 100% similar to the 831 of last year.

Again, thanks you.

gto
post #189 of 3509
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodkalm81 View Post

... Then I went to the HT guys settings for last years Diamond 65831 and boy did that make the TV SHINE!!!! I still think the colors might be alittle off for my viewing conditions, I will pop in the DVE disk in either tonight or Sat moring, and get my own calibration, for my room. But so far great TV. Also set up the Harmony 880 remote, works like a champ, once you get the inputs changing properly. Hopefully I can take pics this weekend.

Can you give us a link to "HT guys settings..."?

Also, do you own an E*(Dish) 622 receiver because I'm having problems getting this to work correctly using HDMI1? I get the blue screen and I then have to go to HDMI2 and then back to HDMI1 to get a picture.
post #190 of 3509
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post

Can you give us a link to "HT guys settings..."?

Also, do you own an E*(Dish) 622 receiver because I'm having problems getting this to work correctly using HDMI1? I get the blue screen and I then have to go to HDMI2 and then back to HDMI1 to get a picture.



http://hdtvmagazine.com/reviews/2007...p_wd-65831.php
post #191 of 3509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipnotiq View Post

You have forgotten the "INFO" button which actually makes the calculation.

What do you mean "makes the calculation"?
post #192 of 3509
Thanks for the help
Jeff
post #193 of 3509
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post

Can you give us a link to "HT guys settings..."?

Also, do you own an E*(Dish) 622 receiver because I'm having problems getting this to work correctly using HDMI1? I get the blue screen and I then have to go to HDMI2 and then back to HDMI1 to get a picture.

yeah the link is here http://www.htguys.com/archive/2007/April20.html

now remember this is for the 831 with there room. to me the greens might be alittle off, and it they might have the screen alittle to dark. Dont know if this is cause of the model # being diffrent and diffrent type of room than mine. Hopefully I will have time to pop in the DVE disk and calibrate it myself.
I dont have dish, I am running Time Warner Digital. Which is being run component for now. My DVR does not have HDMI. I might switch it DVI to HDMI but I am not sure if there will be a major diffrence. since the cable broadcasts only go up to 1080I anyways. There is no 1080p that I know of. Not even discoveryHD
post #194 of 3509
Just wanted to drop in and mention that I received my WD-73833 over lunch, and had a few minutes to tool around with it before I came back to work.

I popped in the King Kong HD DVD and went straight to the T-Rex fight scene. The display looks absolutely incredible straight out of the box with high-def content. I can't wait to see what a little tender loving care (and tuning) can make it capable of.

I checked some other sources, and even 480p content looked very nice.

I also wanted to note that I'm running my components through the new Denon 4308CI, which feeds the display via a single HDMI cable. The set detected the receiver immediately and I had no issues there. Also, I did'nt notice the whining sound that others have been complaining about. Maybe I got lucky? Hopefully it stays that way.
post #195 of 3509
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielwd View Post

What do you mean "makes the calculation"?

See attached picture from the service manual
LL
post #196 of 3509
My 73833 came into Best Buy today.. now I just have to schedule delivery which probably won't take place until middle of next week when my stand arrives from Studiotech..

Between the Mits, the new Denon 4308 and the tv stand.. I'll be in debt forever.. :-)
post #197 of 3509
Thread Starter 
Thanks danielwd and dodkalm81!
post #198 of 3509
What experiences do people have with this set and the various Toshiba HD DVD players? My 65833 will be here on Monday and I'm anxious to pick up a player over the weekend. Thanks.
post #199 of 3509
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMS252 View Post

What experiences do people have with this set and the various Toshiba HD DVD players? My 65833 will be here on Monday and I'm anxious to pick up a player over the weekend. Thanks.

have the 65833 and toshiba HD A2X player, and they work great together!
post #200 of 3509
i have been considering a Sony XBR5 sxrd for soem time now adn totally didnt put any thought into a mits TV. i walked into best buy the otehr days and say the 65833, and let me tell you this is the first TV that made me say WOW out loud. they were playing a copy of king kong on it and the picutre looked amazing. and i dont think it was an HDVD version , just a standard def one.

my one question is, does this TV do 1080 at 24P?
post #201 of 3509
Quote:
Originally Posted by joevfx View Post

i have been considering a Sony XBR5 sxrd for soem time now adn totally didnt put any thought into a mits TV. i walked into best buy the otehr days and say the 65833, and let me tell you this is the first TV that made me say WOW out loud. they were playing a copy of king kong on it and the picutre looked amazing. and i dont think it was an HDVD version , just a standard def one.

my one question is, does this TV do 1080 at 24P?

Yes!
post #202 of 3509
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post

the xx734 also have x.v.color aka deep color.

xv color is not aka deep color, they are two totally seperate things.
post #203 of 3509
Quote:
Originally Posted by joevfx View Post

xv color is not aka deep color, they are two totally seperate things.

You are right, they are two seperate things, but anyway, Yes the 734 has x.v. color and Deep color
post #204 of 3509
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlbowerts View Post

Yes!

its kinda weird that they dont advertise that on their site.
post #205 of 3509
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsjeff View Post

If I hooked up hdmi direct to the tv than would I have to hook up an optical cable to the receiver for the sound to work right?
Thanks, Jeff

Hello Jeff,

If you hook the HDMI TO YOUR TV and don't hook anything up to a receiver then you will only get sound through the TV.

You can ether hook HDMI to a receiver; if you have one that will except it, and then hook one HDMI cable to your TV from the receiver. I don't have a receiver that excepts HDMI so I don't know if it will send both audio and video to the TV; if it sends audio to the TV, you would turn off or turn down the TV's speakers and use the receiver for Audio.

Or you can hook HDMI to your TV and then hook an optical cable from your source to a receiver. Just turn the speakers off on your TV.

Hope this helps.
post #206 of 3509
Have had my WD-73833 for a few days now, and must say I am extremely happy and impressed with this set. Color rendition and picture quality are superb. Can't really see much difference between component and HDMI inputs so far (I have Dish ViP622 hooked up directly to set with HDMI, and through my receiver via component cables). Haven't bit the bullet yet on a HD/BR DVD player yet, as I'm old enough to remember the VHS-Beta war a couple of decades ago. Have a MVP-861 and the DVDs look spectacular on the Mitsubishi. Never thought watching football would be so amazing with a HD signal. Bought my stand from Costo (a Rocco) which works pretty well with this set (the set is about 3" wider on each side than the stand) and has plenty of room for my center speaker. Used the HDTV Mag settings for the WD-65831 as a starting point, and overall am pleased with them; will fine tune them a little later after a break-in period. Not sure I like the blue accent lights or not (thankfully it is a defeatable option). I have not experiened any extraneous noise that some have complained about; hope that it stays that way. Hope everyone enjoys their set as much as I do.
post #207 of 3509
Waiting long enough. Pulled the trigger on 65833. Didn't get the best deal from BB, but it was not the worst either.

So now it's time to focus on source configuration to help simplify connectivity.

I'm probably not going to get any HD play for a while. At least wait until one format become the heir apparent standard to the current sd DVD. So I will only have an SD DVD player with 480p output via component. My set top box will be the Dish ViP722. I have a receiver that only does component switching. So if I were to just stick with component, 480p for DVD, 720p or 1080i for the ViP722, will the signal be upconvert to 1080p via the component once inside the WD-65833? How does it fair? Anyone tried it?

Yes, I can consider using HDMI to each of the invidual connector, but that will be in due course, but right now, it'll just be component.
post #208 of 3509
well I have to say I'm very impressed with this unit. Ended up with a 65833 and my impressions are as follows.

First off - I've not used my calibration dvd yet on the set but used settings as a baseline from the 831 thread on here. That made a significant improvement in PQ. Everything was set to 1024 default from the factory for the service menu settings.

HD looked awesome on the set - using a Verizon HD PVR I watched some of the Thursday game and was very pleased with it. The thing I noticed about the set which surprised me (in a good way) was the PQ of SD going over a HDMI cable. I ended up watching Dawn of the Dead from cable and it was quite an experience. On my Sony set I needed to run component cables as HDMI for standard looks like crap on that set. Image processing on the Mitsu it very good.

I'm going to play around with a calibration DVD later today and I'll see if there are any additional changes I need to make but I think it looks pretty good atm so not sure how much effort I'll put into it hehe.
post #209 of 3509
So, after multiple calls to BB over the entire day yesterday, somebody finally found my TV in the back room & told me that I could pick it up. This of course was after asking 6 different floor guys over the course of 4 calls until finally getting a manager that was willing to look in the back for me.

I picked it up and the box was surprisingly lighter than the Samsung HLP5674 that it is replacing. It was so light in fact, that my wife was able to help carry it in the house from the pickup truck at 9PM last night! I had a neighbor on call for assistance if needed, but decided not to enlist his help after hearing that he was 5 Martinis into his night by the time I got home from BB.

I set it up on the coffee table in front of the wall unit to get all of my wiring straight & attach my shelving to the top of the TV. I have a three year old son that loves to handle DVD's & push buttons on everything, so the shelf on top of the TV is a necessity right now, but not my preference. Ahhh the sacrifices we make for our children. The cabinet on the Mitsu is pretty sturdy, so I am not concerned & the shelves sat on the Sammy for over two years with no incident.

Once it was in the wall unit, & I peeled all of the plastic tape off that protects the high gloss cabinetry (NICE), I turned on the set. I went through the set-up just enough to see the picture & make some of the adjustments that have been recommended in this thread. I changed the lamp setting, set the color to natural, & turned on the 120hz.

Here is one concern so far, that hopefully someone else with the set can give me some guidance on. I have a Motorola DCT3412 I Dual Tuner DVR HDTV Capable set top box & I run both an HDMI & Optical cable (don't know if the optical cable is still necessary, but was with the prior setup) for sound to my Sony STR-K7000 AVR which I run HDMI out to the TV. (Side note - The receiver was part of a HTIB package I purchased at Costco last year. It's very far from audiophile quality for sound or features, but it get's the job done until I have a theater room set up in the basement for my Rotel components & Sonus Faber speaker setup) Here is the problem, the TV is only recognizing the set top box when the receiver is actually turned on & the correct (cable box) input is selected on the AVR. I also have the 5-disc changer running via HDMI to the receiver first, then through the one output to the TV. The TV is only seeing HDMI #1 which I selected as Cable Box from the Mitsu menu, because it did not offer AVR as a selection for that input. If I want to watch a DVD, then I need to change the selection on the AVR, but the TV is still calling it "cable box 1080i". So, it does "work" per se, but I do not want to have the AV receiver turned on in order to watch the TV, & previously I did not with my older Sammy set as it passed the signal through whether the power on the AVR was on or off. Did I just set this up wrong, or do I have to run a separate hookup directly to the TV & bypass the AVR? I don't know if I need to change anything on the TV itself or the AVR, since I have not made any changes to the AVR & it worked fine before.

Second concern is that I can definitely hear the fan, and it is audible until I turn the volume to 10. THis would be okay during daytime viewing, but since the family room opens up to the bedrooms on the second floor, much of our viewing is done at low enough volumes to make the fan noise an issue. I just spoke with another member that said that his fan is not audible, even with the TV volume on MUTE. Can some other members share their observations with the TV on mute or at different volume settings? I'm pretty sure it is the fan & not the color wheel b/c it continues when the TV is turned off. Any feedback or suggestions would be appreciated.

If anyone can help me here, I would greatly appreciate it.
post #210 of 3509
Got mine setup yesterday. I used a veriation of HTGuys 831 settings but I didn't care for the perfect color settings so I left those at default for now.

Picture looks great, color still needs to be tweaked but I am debating getting it professionally calibrated along with my elite plasma if I get a decent deal.

Fan noise is not noticeable even right by the TV but it is in a room with 120 gallon fish tank.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rear Projection Units
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › Official Mitsubishi WD XX833 Owners Thread