or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › HD DVD Players › **Official Toshiba HD-A3/30/35 Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Official Toshiba HD-A3/30/35 Thread** - Page 8

post #211 of 3694
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafner View Post

Just for you I popped in Hunt for Red October. PQ was remarkably clear..especially in close-ups. For example, reflections of the elevator lights in James Earl Jones' glasses were bright, sharp edged, and entirely free of any kind of fuzziness or distortion.

I would say you would be extremely satified...at least on this title.

fafner

Better upconversion than the A2 perhaps?
post #212 of 3694
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

has anyone been able to confirm what is on the "5 free movie" list on the new promo starting in october?

I don't think anyone has yet seen a list let alone confirm it.

fafner
post #213 of 3694
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafner View Post

Just got my A30 from Robert and wow the PQ and AQ are great...clearly better than my A2. The shiny piano black finish is also a very nice improvement frome the A2 series.

fafner

fafner

How is the fan noise, as compared to the A2? I know on the A2 is pretty quiet as these things go, but I was hoping for even quieter. Oh, and how's the boot time? My A2 is around 30 seconds.
post #214 of 3694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace of Space View Post

Better upconversion than the A2 perhaps?

Yes. It may be only due to change from interlaced on the A2 to progressive on the A30 but my impression is that there is more to it than that.

fafner
post #215 of 3694
Fafner,

Do you own any discs that skipped or stuttered on your A2 that you could try on the new deck? I am very curious if there is better error correction (?) on the new machines.

Thanks in advance,
Cris
post #216 of 3694
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonydude1966 View Post

How is the fan noise, as compared to the A2? I know on the A2 is pretty quiet as these things go, but I was hoping for even quieter. Oh, and how's the boot time? My A2 is around 30 seconds.

Fan noise is as close to non-existant as you can get. Boot up time is about the same as your (and my) A2.

fafner
post #217 of 3694
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafner View Post

Fan noise is as close to non-existant as you can get. Boot up time is about the same as your (and my) A2.

fafner

Thanks dude. So it's definitely quieter than the A2? Or are they about the same? I was thinking of putting the A3 in my bedroom and replacing my Sony upconverter DVD player in the living room with the A2, since fan noise in the living room is way easier to live with.
post #218 of 3694
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrisK View Post

Fafner,

Do you own any discs that skipped or stuttered on your A2 that you could try on the new deck? I am very curious if there is better error correction (?) on the new machines.

Thanks in advance,
Cris

No, sorry. I never had any disc skip or stutter on either my A2 or my A1 before that.

fafner (with a small "f" don't ask me why)
post #219 of 3694
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

has anyone been able to confirm what is on the "5 free movie" list on the new promo starting in october?

check this thread out
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=903732
post #220 of 3694
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafner View Post

No, sorry. I never had any disc skip or stutter on either my A2 or my A1 before that.

fafner (with a small "f" don't ask me why)

fafner ,

I wish I was that lucky.

Anyone else have a third gen player and some problem discs that they can try out?

Thanks for the response,
Cris
post #221 of 3694
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonydude1966 View Post

Thanks dude. So it's definitely quieter than the A2? Or are they about the same? I was thinking of putting the A3 in my bedroom and replacing my Sony upconverter DVD player in the living room with the A2, since fan noise in the living room is way easier to live with.


Sorry I cannot compare the two re fan noise. But I would not put it in my bedroom since I am extremly sensitive to noise when sleeping, except of course when I fall asleep of the sofa with 100,000 fans screaming at the Rose Bowl or the Big House

fafner
post #222 of 3694
can someone please post a complete review of the new 3.0 vs the second or ist gen models....come on guys we are waiting....
post #223 of 3694
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonngo0 View Post

Well if the A30 is made in China, I would have to rethink about it and get the A20 which is made in Japan. You point of view on the PS3 is taken, that's the reason I have not buy the ps3.

I hate to say this, but Japan is not the economic force they used to be. If you do some outside research you will see that their economy is collapsing due to their aging and declining workforce(They have one of the lowest birthrates in the world - 1.3(replacement ratio), and unlike other countries, they do not import workers. They are not expected to be a major world player within the next 10 years. China is/going to be the new economic powerhouse whether you like it or not.
post #224 of 3694
So do we have a finalized list of what titles will be on the :

The New Perfect HD Offer


since the rebate form is actually not available yet. I thought somewhere I saw some titles being added to the old list, but can't find it now.

Thanks,
post #225 of 3694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar1969 View Post

I hate to say this, but Japan is not the economic force they used to be. If you do some outside research you will see that their economy is collapsing due to their aging and declining workforce(They have one of the lowest birthrates in the world - 1.3(replacement ratio), and unlike other countries, they do not import workers. They are not expected to be a major world player within the next 10 years. China is/going to be the new economic powerhouse whether you like it or not.

Yes, I understand what you are saying. I was just wondering where it is made of. Right now, I still have a choice of either A20, A2X, A30 or A35. I tend to give more point or you could said lean more toward the more reliable one. Right now, I follow the A2 series firmware upgrade for the 24/1080p and it is not looking good because of audio lag, and now I want to know how the A3 perform with the 24/1080p too. I am not the type of buying and returning, I just like to reasearch everything first and then buy.
post #226 of 3694
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonngo0 View Post

Yes, I understand what you are saying. I was just wondering where it is made of. Right now, I still have a choice of either A20, A2X, A30 or A35. I tend to give more point or you could said lean more toward the more reliable one. Right now, I follow the A2 series firmware upgrade for the 24/1080p and it is not looking good because of audio lag, and now I want to know how the A3 perform with the 24/1080p too. I am not the type of buying and returning, I just like to reasearch everything first and then buy.

I hear you - I got an A2 as a gift a few weeks(Was totally surprised as I wasn't in the market to move to HD-DVD yet). I'm the type who researches everything to death too and within hours of getting my new gift, found out that the 3rd generations(A-3) were coming out, and decided to take back the A2 before even opening the box. I figure that the newer models will incorporate any fixes that have come out on the older models - I think on this new of a technology, the later generations would be the way to go.

Not sure if 24 fps is an issue on the A-3 model, since it is the entry level and doesn't have the 1080p either like the A-30 or 35 does, but from all accounts it sounds like from visual test s1080p is not much of a descernable difference from 1080i - but I'm new to HD-DVD so I have no direct knowledge.
post #227 of 3694
Is it worth it to wait and pay the extra $100 for the "deep color" option on the A35?
My tv (mits 73833) does support it, but I was originally just going to get the A30.
post #228 of 3694
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonngo0 View Post

Well, the thing is, things that I have made in China does not last. I have VCR and DVD player made in Japan and last me over 10 years. Unless of course you want new stuff every year or every other year.

I worked in manufacturing for 5 years and towards the end, we started losing business because manufacturing in China had gotten a lot better. Previously, we could do tolerances that they just couldn’t do in China, but that has definitely changed.

Preconceived notions about Chinese made goods from 10 or even 5 years ago may not apply today. In many cases, Chinese manufacturing technology has caught up to that of the US and Japan.
post #229 of 3694
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappler View Post

Is it worth it to wait and pay the extra $100 for the "deep color" option on the A35?
My tv (mits 73833) does support it, but I was originally just going to get the A30.

No disks support deep color. BUT I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
post #230 of 3694
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafner View Post

Sorry I cannot compare the two re fan noise. But I would not put it in my bedroom since I am extremly sensitive to noise when sleeping, except of course when I fall asleep of the sofa with 100,000 fans screaming at the Rose Bowl or the Big House

fafner

Of course, these days they're screaming at the Big House for totally different reasons...
post #231 of 3694
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevivoe View Post

No disks support deep color. BUT I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

I got the A30 because my set doesnt support deep color, but if it did I would have gotten the A35 for the same reason.

fafner
post #232 of 3694
Robert,

Do you know which ABT chip is used in the new A35?
ct
post #233 of 3694
Yeppers.

fafner
post #234 of 3694
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafner View Post

Sorry I cannot compare the two re fan noise. But I would not put it in my bedroom since I am extremely sensitive to noise when sleeping, except of course when I fall asleep of the sofa with 100,000 fans screaming at the Rose Bowl or the Big House

fafner

OK, thanks anyway, and I greatly appreciated your responses. I emailed Robert Zohn earlier, and was told the A3 is, "a little quieter" than the A2 in the fan department. BTW, he has a very reasonable price on his website for AVS people (I hope I can say that here). I'm still deciding whether or not to pick up the latest model.
post #235 of 3694
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonydude1966 View Post

OK, thanks anyway, and I greatly appreciated your responses. I emailed Robert Zohn earlier, and was told the A3 is, "a little quieter" than the A2 in the fan department. BTW, he has a very reasonable price on his website for AVS people (I hope I can say that here). I'm still deciding whether or not to pick up the latest model.

I got my A30 from him...shipped on Tuesday and got here today. Very nice people and excellent service as well as great prices.

fafner
post #236 of 3694
Robert
I need your help....

I have a LG 42PC1DA plasma and I would like to purchase a Tosh 3rd gen player(from you of course).

I dont want to get a player that is essentially too good for my plas so which would you reccommend?

Thanks,
EIS
post #237 of 3694
Hello all

Many of us do not have receivers with HDMI. Thus we are very interested in the audio over optical when playing HD-DVD disks.
HD-A2 over optical transcodes Audio tracks to 1.5 Mbps DTS and some recievers have problems with this version of DTS
HD-A20 and HD-XA2 over optical both transcode tracks to 640 Dolby Digital and most recievers have no issures with this. However some have noticed a slight delay in audio over optical with the HD-A20. And if you have a receiver than cannot adjust for the delay you can have lip sync issues. Has the
HD-A30 fixed these audio delay issues?

HD-A3 over optical transcodes to 1.5 DTS or 640 Dolby Digital?

HD-A30 over optical transcodes to 1.5 DTS or 640 Dolby Digital?

HD-A35 over optical transcodes to 1.5 DTS or Dolby Digital?

Any information on this would be helpful in deciding which to purchase.

Thanks
Bonus
post #238 of 3694
[quote=EnvelopedInSound;11615568]Robert
I need your help....

Native resolution on your TV is 720p(Which is the case for many plasmas) so the entry level A3 is all you would really be able to get out of it picturewise if I understand correctly, but I would be interested to hear the reccommendations as well since my Panny Plasma is 720p as well(But can handle up to 1080i - whatever that means). I am truely confused by the resolutions being thrown around, and now the talk of 24fps(Isn't that slower fps than what is being used now on tvs - not sure how this is better). I know there's plenty of discussions about resolution and such on the net, but I am curious how it all relates to the Toshiba HD-DVDs
post #239 of 3694
Base on what I have seen on here. Deep Color ... is it better to get A35 or AX2 ?
post #240 of 3694
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnvelopedInSound View Post

Robert
I need your help....

I have a LG 42PC1DA plasma and I would like to purchase a Tosh 3rd gen player(from you of course).

I dont want to get a player that is essentially too good for my plas so which would you reccommend?

Thanks,
EIS

HD-A3, best investment you could make to improve your system and match your HDTV.

-Robert
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HD DVD Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › HD DVD Players › **Official Toshiba HD-A3/30/35 Thread**