or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › PlayStation Area › Possible to use your bluetooth cellphone for internet for PS3?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Possible to use your bluetooth cellphone for internet for PS3?

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:


If you have Advanced GPRS enabled on your Bluetooth phone, you can use it as a modem to connect your laptop or PC to the internet when on the move - like in a car, a restaurant or any other place where your phone works. You can even use it at home if your primary connection isn't working. For this, you'll need a Bluetooth phone with Advanced GPRS feature enabled (all service providers in the main cities offer this).

Does the ps3 support this? Does anyone use an internet connection from their phone to ps3?

If it wont connect to the ps3 through bluetooth (enabling online for ps3), is there a way to connect the phone to a wireless router or is there an adaptor to plug into the ps3's RJ45 port?
post #2 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_six_pack View Post

Does the ps3 support this? Does anyone use an internet connection from their phone to ps3?

If it wont connect to the ps3 through bluetooth (enabling online for ps3), is there a way to connect the phone to a wireless router or is there an adaptor to plug into the ps3's RJ45 port?

lol... "advanced gprs"... what in the heck is that? HSPDA? 3G? EDGE? There's no such thing as "advanced gprs."

As of now no cell phones can connect to the PS3 (should change in the future... I think the pres of Sony had an Erickson phone at E3 he connected to a PS3).

However, some cell phones that allow data like GPRS can be connected to a PC and the PC can use the phone as a modem. I guess then you could potentially set up your computer to be an internet access point and plug your PS3 into your computer for internet. That's the only way I think this would work and even then... I don't really think it's possible.

Even if you had something like HSPDA available with a good signal, it wouldn't be able to transmit data quick enough in my opinion.

Basically... you can't do it. Maybe you can in the future with the right phone/software, right data plan and availability with your network, and an update to the PS3. The likelihood of that? Maybe 0.03%

I've connected my phones (Treo 600, 650, 750, Cingular 8125, and now the Nokia e90) to my laptops when I go out of town and need the internet. I usually use blutooth to connect and my phone becomes the modem for my laptop. It works great for surfing the net and checking email. This type of thing has been around for I don't even know... 6 years now? But it probably wouldn't be enough to handle the quick response times the PS3 would need.
post #3 of 17
This brings up an interesting question. What about a bluetooth phone with an add on program that would act as a bluetooth remote, for instance my Blackberry 8803 could act as the remote for the PS3 and I wouldn't have to worry about my harmony IR remote. I need to head over to Blackberry Forums to see if any of those guys have tried this.
post #4 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadsystems View Post

This brings up an interesting question. What about a bluetooth phone with an add on program that would act as a bluetooth remote, for instance my Blackberry 8803 could act as the remote for the PS3 and I wouldn't have to worry about my harmony IR remote. I need to head over to Blackberry Forums to see if any of those guys have tried this.

Just buy the $20 bluetooth remote and you are set.
Now what we, Harmony owners, need is a usb dongle with IR receiver so we can use the harmony remote with the PS3.
post #5 of 17
Thread Starter 
How fast is the internet for wireless devices like PDAs from a provider from verizon? Is it DSL speed?
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_six_pack View Post

How fast is the internet for wireless devices like PDAs from a provider from verizon? Is it DSL speed?

There are many flavors of DSL. At the fastest the VZW service is faster than the lesser bandwidth DSL. It is not as fast as full bandwidth DSL.
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarlp View Post

lol... "advanced gprs"... what in the heck is that? HSPDA? 3G? EDGE? There's no such thing as "advanced gprs."

As of now no cell phones can connect to the PS3 (should change in the future... I think the pres of Sony had an Erickson phone at E3 he connected to a PS3).

However, some cell phones that allow data like GPRS can be connected to a PC and the PC can use the phone as a modem. I guess then you could potentially set up your computer to be an internet access point and plug your PS3 into your computer for internet. That's the only way I think this would work and even then... I don't really think it's possible.

Even if you had something like HSPDA available with a good signal, it wouldn't be able to transmit data quick enough in my opinion.

Basically... you can't do it. Maybe you can in the future with the right phone/software, right data plan and availability with your network, and an update to the PS3. The likelihood of that? Maybe 0.03%

I've connected my phones (Treo 600, 650, 750, Cingular 8125, and now the Nokia e90) to my laptops when I go out of town and need the internet. I usually use blutooth to connect and my phone becomes the modem for my laptop. It works great for surfing the net and checking email. This type of thing has been around for I don't even know... 6 years now? But it probably wouldn't be enough to handle the quick response times the PS3 would need.


This is possible, I use my cell phone to connect to the internet with my laptop, and I can set it up to 'share' the connection over my wireless router giving all computers (including the ps3) internet access...However, unless you have high speed internet via phone (~$70/month), it's only a little faster than dial up so more than one computer using it isn't really feasible.
post #8 of 17
Realistically you will see real world speeds of 400-800 Kbps. Verizon claims burstable speeds up to 2 Mbps. Bluetooth hacks would have to be made to your cellphone, more than likely, to do something like this. There is a guy on PDAPHONEHOME that unlocks Bluetooth DUN Profiles for cellphones that are crippled by the carriers all the time. This could be done with a little ingenuity, using your cellphone as a Bluetooth WAP that is!
post #9 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brakel View Post

There are many flavors of DSL. At the fastest the VZW service is faster than the lesser bandwidth DSL. It is not as fast as full bandwidth DSL.

Thank you. It's an idea I have to mention to a friend. He wants to game online with his ps3. Lets just say that his options aren't nearly as open as some of ours. No wired broadband, no telephone lines (no dsl), etc. Think he has access to satellite, but the prices for that is astronomical.

The broadband connection over the phone (although a bit expensive and a bit slow) may do the trick.
post #10 of 17
I've done this myself too, that is cell phone to PC as a modem. But then I read somewhere that the cell phone companies have been busting people taking advantage of this "unlimited data" and giving them like a $3,000 cell phone bill for past usage. I know on certain pda phones, like a blackberry through at&t, they have a seperate "tethering plan" that includes phone to pc internet surfing for $80.00. Has anyone else heard of cell phone companies going after people for this?
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by thowe21 View Post

I've done this myself too, that is cell phone to PC as a modem. But then I read somewhere that the cell phone companies have been busting people taking advantage of this "unlimited data" and giving them like a $3,000 cell phone bill for past usage. I know on certain pda phones, like a blackberry through at&t, they have a seperate "tethering plan" that includes phone to pc internet surfing for $80.00. Has anyone else heard of cell phone companies going after people for this?

If you use it a lot your cell phone company will usually charge you for the data used. You really need to be on a plan that allows for tethering. If you do get charged you can call them up, remove the charges, and switch to the more expensive tethering plan.

I only tether 1-2 times a month when I'm out of town and that's not enough for AT&T to charge me more then my $20 a month for data.
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by brakel View Post

There are many flavors of DSL. At the fastest the VZW service is faster than the lesser bandwidth DSL. It is not as fast as full bandwidth DSL.

Yup. And DSL is hardly fast by any means. My cable connection gets me around 15mbps down (20 on a good day) and about 2 up. I'd never consider DSL.
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoos150 View Post

Yup. And DSL is hardly fast by any means. My cable connection gets me around 15mbps down (20 on a good day) and about 2 up. I'd never consider DSL.

who's your provider? would you mind posting your results from here: http://speedtest.net/
post #14 of 17
Cox in Tucson, AZ with the Premium tier (there are 4 tiers, mine is the $59/month with 12 up/1 down). I sometimes get much faster speeds, as I've posted (which is awesome). My results are already posted on speedtest.net (though I'm not at home, I'm at work). Here is the sig I have saved in my photobucket I use (pity I can't post it on my sig here at AVS).

post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoos150 View Post

Cox in Tucson, AZ with the Premium tier (there are 4 tiers, mine is the $59/month with 12 up/1 down). I sometimes get much faster speeds, as I've posted (which is awesome). My results are already posted on speedtest.net (though I'm not at home, I'm at work). Here is the sig I have saved in my photobucket I use (pity I can't post it on my sig here at AVS).



that's insane! i had cox in phx but i didn't even think about the premiere package, but i really didn't need that kind of bandwidth. gg.
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarlp View Post

If you use it a lot your cell phone company will usually charge you for the data used. You really need to be on a plan that allows for tethering. If you do get charged you can call them up, remove the charges, and switch to the more expensive tethering plan.

I only tether 1-2 times a month when I'm out of town and that's not enough for AT&T to charge me more then my $20 a month for data.


Yeah I really think cell phone companies need to start spelling out these terms. When they publish "unlimited data", one would think that includes everything.
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by thowe21 View Post

Yeah I really think cell phone companies need to start spelling out these terms. When they publish "unlimited data", one would think that includes everything.

That's why it's easy to call in and gets those charges removed

But I agree... things need to be more clear. You're paying for data your cell phone uses. And even if it's tethered to your laptop, your phone is still the device using the data (it's just transmitting it to another device once it receives it).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PlayStation Area
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › PlayStation Area › Possible to use your bluetooth cellphone for internet for PS3?