or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Evr Is Default Renderer Anymore!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Evr Is Default Renderer Anymore! - Page 2

post #31 of 74
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nintari View Post

I am unable to edit the registry values as well even after the account keys created in the registry

I see that video renderer is set to a higher priority as shown above, and am trying to make EVR the default renderer in MCE to help combat the DVD playback issues I am having (see thread above)

Hi nintary,
I think you use Home Premium; do you?
post #32 of 74
Yes, thought about re-doing the system since I am using a MSDN copy and going ultimate, but all that would give me is a few more networkign options, texas holdem and the special live desktop lol
post #33 of 74
Thread Starter 
Whoever claims EVR is default renderer on Vista seems like owner of Ultimate?
post #34 of 74
You guys crack me up. Wrangling with registry settings and other options to get this renderer working is a waste of time. Haali Video renderer is far superior. It actually works, gives you customization settings, and doesn't tear.
post #35 of 74
Thread Starter 
nintari,
At least you should have made EVR default renderer on MCE; just follow post one, it works.
When EVR is default, MS mpeg2 decoder is working very well on HA mode (as you know it is MS's default renderer in MCE) for SD DVDs.
But i've never succedeed to make ffdshow audio default so as to see what is happening on the background.
Greenbutton is full of these two issues:
Can't see TS files on MCE.
Can't make ffdshow audio default renderer.
post #36 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricabullah View Post

Whoever claims EVR is default renderer on Vista seems like owner of Ultimate?

Enterprise here.

Anyway, not claiming EVR is default directshow system renderer (it's not, that's the truly ancient pre-vmr7 renderer, same as it was in xp). However, all media playback apps I've ever seen ignore the system default renderer, and choose their own - and Vista WMP11 chooses EVR.
post #37 of 74
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by arfster View Post

However, all media playback apps I've ever seen ignore the system default renderer, and choose their own - and Vista WMP11 chooses EVR.

Normally, yes. This is expected from any playback application except WMP;
it follows default graph chain- at least on my own.
post #38 of 74
Again, ignore graphedit. Media Center overwrites it and uses it's own renderer. Therefore graphedit is not showing you what media center is using. Which in Vista is EVR by default.
Different apps default to whatever they are set to and graphedit is useless in regards to those apps.

Only if an app uses the system defaults and only the system defaults is graphedit accurate.

Also, my .ts files show up fine in Media Center(there are registry tweaks that will show .ts and .mkv files in media center). I also don't use FFDshow for audio. I use AC3filter.
post #39 of 74
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post

Also, my .ts files show up fine in Media Center(there are registry tweaks that will show .ts and .mkv files in media center). I also don't use FFDshow for audio. I use AC3filter.

Then why don't you tell us how to tweak?
post #40 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricabullah View Post

Then why don't you tell us how to tweak?

I would if I could remember. I can't find it when searching my history here and it's not in my bookmarks. I do access them via the mymovies plugin.
You might also try this:
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\\.TS]
"PerceivedType"="video"
"Content Type"="video/TS"
More info here: http://www.vanillahd.com/index.php/p...dia-player-11/

However the info for .mkv is here:
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\\.mkv]
"PerceivedType"="video"
"Content Type"="video/x-matroska"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Multimedia\\WMPlaye r\\Extensions\\.mkv]
"Runtime"=dword:00000007
"Permissions"=dword:0000000f
"UserApprovedOwning"="yes"
post #41 of 74
ricabullah: I tried to do that but it will not let me edit those registry keys even after adding the special accounts entries

Well that sucks about graph edit was atleast hoping to see what was goign on different. as I said though I tried to re-create what I thought would be the normal graph. I dont remember the exact setup in graph edit but when I tried to take the MS MPEG 2 decoder and remove the connection it had to Video renderer, then put EVR in it's place it would not play back, only a black screen showed up.

If I put Video Renderer 9 in in place of video renderer it worked and for a while I was able to duplicate my results, but the next time I went in to graph edit and did this it worked fine grrrr......

I think I am just going to suck it up and wipe out my install and start fresh agan. I was really really trying to avoid that but oh well, we'll see what happens.
post #42 of 74
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post

I would if I could remember. I can't find it when searching my history here and it's not in my bookmarks. I do access them via the mymovies plugin.
You might also try this:
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\\.TS]
"PerceivedType"="video"
"Content Type"="video/TS"
More info here: http://www.vanillahd.com/index.php/p...dia-player-11/
...........

Hi archer; thanks for that. You summarized very well.
Gonna try.


Quote:
Originally Posted by nintari View Post

ricabullah: I tried to do that but it will not let me edit those registry keys even after adding the special accounts entries

.................
I think I am just going to suck it up and wipe out my install and start fresh agan. I was really really trying to avoid that but oh well, we'll see what happens.

Hi nintari!
I agree! Fresh install would be the best solution for you.
What i suggest after fresh install please try these: (before tweak)

First, install ffdshow audio, play any file with WMP on Vista and just monitor renderers and decoders via ffdshow. At least we gonna see which video renderer is working with WMP; EVR or VMR?
post #43 of 74
Thread Starter 
archer, for ts
I've added :
"content type" :video/ts
"perceived type":video
there is one more: (default)
I see: ts_auto_file as its "value data"
What is yours; would you pls check it?
post #44 of 74
Welp ATI released Cat 7.9 today

After going through many different driver versions 7.9 fixed my problem! WOOHOO!
post #45 of 74
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nintari View Post

7.9 fixed my problem! WOOHOO!

Which one has been fixed?
post #46 of 74
The problem with DVD playback under Vista MCE showing what resembled the old Chroma Bug:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=903093
post #47 of 74
Thread Starter 
Hi guys, me again.
In my case, with a licenced Vista Home Premium, i saw EVR is not default renderer on recorded files.
So i did have to tweak registry and by force made EVR default for both WMP and MCE.(see post one)

In my trials, connected remote graphs showed me while playing DVDs EVR was selected default.
I told for recorded files both WMP and MCE follow graph chain, but for DVD playing they override graph.


So i made some basic tweaks (thx to archer 75) so as to see ts files on MCE.
Here it is, (i did not use Haali splitter; i made Cyberlink demux default as MERIT_PREFERRED +255 via Radlight Filter Manager)

(PerceivedType must be written adjacent.)

While playing DVDs in both MCE and WMP, i was able to connect to remote graph and as you see,
MS chooses its own filters overriding the graph.

Playing DVDs:




But for recorded files, watching them on WMP and MCE didn't give me any information what decoders and renderers were being used by the applications. (couldn't connect to remote graph)
Arfster told ffdshow audio would show them. (thanks to him)

So for MCE you can not see any ffdshow icon in full-screen mode. Just try to watch MCE on windowed mode, you will see it.

And here you will see what filters and decoders are being used by GraphEdit, WMP and MCE after my EVR tweak:
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

ASTRA HD mpeg2 1920*1088 broadcast record:

GraphEdit:



WMP:



MCE:



_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _


ProSieben HD h264 1920*1088 broadcast record:

GraphEdit:




WMP:




MCE:



(what is interesting on those trials, EVR properties page gave nonsense results
on MCE? but CPU usage didn't change.)
post #48 of 74
Hi, just registered as I found this forum contains much useful info for my MSI 2600pro.
Suffer from the same problem-> With my Vista Ultimate (32bit), playing a H264 Apple trailer goest OK in PDVD (HA active, ~ 10% cpu usage on AMD 3500+).
But outside PDVD, EVR is not used but WMR7, so HA is not active (cpu usage between 50 and 100 % depending on content).

I've tried the EVR registry tweak, mentioned at first post here. The problem is that I can't change the EVR and VideoRenderer registry keys. Windows just doesn't allow me. The 'TrustedInstaller' is the only user with full control, able to change the key. It just won't allow me to add the SpecialAcount user Administator as owner, or any other user.

I believe nintari has the same problem. Any clue how to get permission?
post #49 of 74
Hi guys,

There seems to be some confusion as to how directshow works here. I've developed a couple of dshow apps and filters, and have worked with Mediaportal's playback engine (mostly bug fixes). Please note that I'm not saying that anyone is right or wrong. However, it is very possible for the system default to be the vmr7 or 9, and have mce and wmp use the evr. The way directshow works is that whatever filter is added to the graph will take priority over a filter with the same function, with a higher merit, that is not added to the graph before autobuilding. So, for MCE to use the EVR, all it would have to do is create the graph add in the EVR manually and then autobuild the rest of the graph using the appropriate source filter. You can do this in graphedit. Load the file using the appropriate source filter, and add the EVR into the graph and then autobuild. The EVR will be the renderer that is used even though it has a lower priority. Now MS may not do this, but it is very easy to do from a programming perspective.
post #50 of 74
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardii View Post

Hi guys,

So, for MCE to use the EVR, all it would have to do is create the graph add in the EVR manually and then autobuild the rest of the graph using the appropriate source filter. You can do this in graphedit. Load the file using the appropriate source filter, and add the EVR into the graph and then autobuild. The EVR will be the renderer that is used even though it has a lower priority.

Hi!
What we are trying here is to create hundred percent autobuild graphs.
That is why i've started this thread.
post #51 of 74
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by s174955 View Post

Hi, just registered as I found this forum contains much useful info for my MSI 2600pro.
Suffer from the same problem-> With my Vista Ultimate (32bit), playing a H264 Apple trailer goest OK in PDVD (HA active, ~ 10% cpu usage on AMD 3500+).
But outside PDVD, EVR is not used but WMR7, so HA is not active (cpu usage between 50 and 100 % depending on content).

I've tried the EVR registry tweak, mentioned at first post here. The problem is that I can't change the EVR and VideoRenderer registry keys. Windows just doesn't allow me. The 'TrustedInstaller' is the only user with full control, able to change the key. It just won't allow me to add the SpecialAcount user Administator as owner, or any other user.

I believe nintari has the same problem. Any clue how to get permission?

Did you apply all the steps i mentioned in the first post?
If the answer is "yes", there must be something missing.
post #52 of 74
Hi ricabullah, my point is that most likely MCE and WMP are already using the EVR. It is not necessarily safe to make it default. It relies on different interfaces than the VMR, and even if a program were to autobuild the graph, they may try to call interfaces on the VMR7 (which would be the default for XP) or you could have a filter which doesn't play nice with the EVR (like NVIDIA's decoder). Now, I would assume most enthusiast programs would check this, but you can't be sure. I would imagine the reason MSoft did this is to protect people from themselves and the various codecs they use. My post was more of a be careful and let the player make the decisions.
post #53 of 74
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardii View Post

Hi ricabullah, my point is that most likely MCE and WMP are already using the EVR. It is not necessarily safe to make it default. It relies on different interfaces than the VMR, and even if a program were to autobuild the graph, they may try to call interfaces on the VMR7 (which would be the default for XP) or you could have a filter which doesn't play nice with the EVR (like NVIDIA's decoder). Now, I would assume most enthusiast programs would check this, but you can't be sure. I would imagine the reason MSoft did this is to protect people from themselves and the various codecs they use. My post was more of a be careful and let the player make the decisions.

diehardii, i get you,
but what i've been trying to say i was not able to watch any recorded video with EVR (by default) even on VMP or MCE.
Second, i never use any player but Graph.
Graphedit is and has always been my default player i mean.
So i had to make this tweak.


Quote:
Originally Posted by s174955 View Post

I've tried the EVR registry tweak, mentioned at first post here. The problem is that I can't change the EVR and VideoRenderer registry keys. Windows just doesn't allow me. The 'TrustedInstaller' is the only user with full control, able to change the key. It just won't allow me to add the SpecialAcount user Administator as owner, or any other user.

I believe nintari has the same problem. Any clue how to get permission?

Quote:


From the Start Menu find the "Command Prompt" and right click on it. From the popup
menu select "Run as Administrator". A Command window will start.
Wriite "regedit"
Regedit popup window will open.

Go to the key
HKLM/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion/WinLogon.
Now add (from the Edit menu) a new key.
Name this new key "SpecialAccounts".

In HKLM/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion/WinLogon/SpecialAccounts
create a key named "UserList".

In HKLM/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion/WinLogon/SpecialAccounts/UserList
create a new DWORD entry (not a "key" this time). Name this entry "Administrator" and
set the value to "1"

exit and boot

You should see these, before and after the tweak:

PRE-TWEAK:



POST-TWEAK:



Hope it helps.
post #54 of 74
Hi, thanks for the replies.

I did have the registry settings as you show them. Don't understand what's wrong.
You login as the new 'Administrator'? Tried to do that, also in safe mode, but it doens't allow me.

I was using Catalyst 7.7 (latest from MSI website), but found a bete 7.9 for AGP cards. I'm now using that. I also found that the first hit on google links to a 2001 version of GraphEdit, which didn't allow me to use EVR in it.
With new Catalyst and Graphedit I do get EVR within MPC-HT.
Still would like to find out how to change EVR registry settings, but at least it's working now at my pc.
post #55 of 74
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by s174955 View Post

Hi, thanks for the replies.

I did have the registry settings as you show them. Don't understand what's wrong.
You login as the new 'Administrator'? Tried to do that, also in safe mode, but it doens't allow me.

I was using Catalyst 7.7 (latest from MSI website), but found a bete 7.9 for AGP cards. I'm now using that. I also found that the first hit on google links to a 2001 version of GraphEdit, which didn't allow me to use EVR in it.
With new Catalyst and Graphedit I do get EVR within MPC-HT.
Still would like to find out how to change EVR registry settings, but at least it's working now at my pc.

Do you mean you get EVR by manual selection of EVR on newer version of Graph?
Or you get it on MCE itself automatically?
post #56 of 74
Thread Starter 
By the way guys,
I want you to know you will never see any thread started by me when you click on my signature(just posts) even i started this one which you are reading now.
Almost one month ago, i asked "why" to one of the mods, he gave me this answer:
Quote:


Maybe the thread got pulled by another mod for some reason?

So you evaluate who is afraid of big brother?

Don't forget i've paid two hundred and fifty to uncle Billy by the way!
post #57 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricabullah View Post

Do you mean you get EVR by manual selection of EVR on newer version of Graph?
Or you get it on MCE itself automatically?

I get EVR not with MCE automatically,
can select it with MPC-HC,
and can select it with GraphEdit.

Changing the merrit registry settings doesn't work still though.

To reaction below:
Appreciated, I'll try again this evening.
post #58 of 74
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by s174955 View Post

Changing the merrit registry settings doesn't work still though.

If you tell me what you've done step by step, i might help.
post #59 of 74
I have Vista Ultimate and I followed the registry tweaks from the first post. After creating the SpecialAccounts key, and rebooting, I'm still unable to make any changes to the registry for VideoRenderer CLSID.

With MPC, I get Video Mixing Renderer and with WMP11 I get Enhanced Video Renderer!
post #60 of 74
Need help with h.264 DVB stream (

Using a program DVB Dream to watch HD channels. HD Mpeg-2 works great (using my hd 2600's GPU). However, I can't make h.264 to use HA. After some research, I found out that it is the same for everyone using the software:

http://www.dvbdream.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1621

There, people mention that another DVB program AltDVB (that does not support my hardware) makes use of Cyberlink h.264 and HA. So, I guess it's DVBDream that does not request HA, and not the codec's order.

Indeed, in the menu where I chose the codec options, I have 4 renderer options:
Video Mixing Renderer
Video Mixing Renderer 9
Generic Video Renderer
Overlay Video Renderer

Hence, I guess the programmers did not add the option to use EVR. I've placed a request to add this option.

However, my question is (while waiting for them to fix it) is there a way to trick the program to use EVR? Some how choose Video Mixing Renderer in the menu, but fool Windows that EVR is Video Mixing Renderer? What if I swap both registry keys?

Currently, Radlight shows (after I did th tweak):
EVR: 00800001
VMR 9: 00200000
VR: 00200000

PLEASE HELP (
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Evr Is Default Renderer Anymore!